Start by marking “The Dinner Party” as Want to Read:
The Dinner Party

The Dinner Party

When Judy Chicago's multimedia exhibit "The Dinner Party" opened in the 1970s, it was hailed "an icon of feminist art" (ARTnews) and was seen by nearly one million people. Now, in a book celebrating the re-opening of the exhibit in Los Angeles later this year, Chicago updates the themes, interpretation, and history of her landmark exhibit.
Published March 1st 1996 by Penguin Books (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The Dinner Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dinner Party

Danna
Jun 26, 2007 Danna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in sexual politics and art history
Judy Chicago's The Dinner Party: A Symbol of Our Heritage is a revolution in a book. Although much has changed radically in the past few decades, Chicago's book is still relevant, and it most certainly suggests that there is and always has been, room for everyone at the table. When I was 28-years-old I was browsing the art book stacks and Chicago's book fell off the shelf into my hands (I've come to accept this type of occurence - sometimes as Fate, and sometimes as somebody on the other side of ...more
HeavyReader
Jun 20, 2007 HeavyReader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the Dinner Party and Judy Chicago
Shelves: feminist, art
This book tells about the struggle and hardship and joy of the process of creating The Dinner Party. Part of it is Judy Chicago's actual journal of the time where she writes about the problems and doubts that are resulting from the difficulties she is having makeing her dream of this exhibit become a reality.

I think it is helpful as a historical document so that generations of women will know what really happened during the creative process. I also believe that we can all learn from the trials a
Rita	 Marie
Nov 26, 2012 Rita Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference-art
I had the good fortune to acquire this commemorative volume at the 1996 showing of Judy Chicago's "Dinner Party" in Los Angeles. The room-sized artwork itself is intended to describe the struggle of women throughout history to achieve full participation in society and it makes extensive use of the traditional "feminine" art of needlework.

The book would, I think, give an excellent idea of the installation for anyone who has never seen it. There is one color plate of the entire room with its dimm
Weradi
Feb 24, 2016 Weradi rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate to see this incredible, and somewhat shocking, work of art in Calgary in the late 80's. Unfortunately, it's so large, I believe it is being stored rather than on display at this time. Therefore, the book substitutes and tells the story of how the work was the collected effort of numerous women with Judy Chicago's direction. I see this is the feminist response to Freud's notion of penis envy.
Annah-Marie
Nov 17, 2009 Annah-Marie rated it it was amazing
This book was published shortly after, if not right alongside, the first exhibition of "The Dinner Party". I found the background information surrounding this work extremely illuminating. Judy Chicago is amazing and this book and work support my statement. This is a must read for anyone interested in art or the history of women. She gives information for all 999 women featured in her piece.
Annah-Marie
Nov 17, 2009 Annah-Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Judy Chicago is an amazing artist. This book proves it. She takes you through the entire process and the best part is that this rendition is written almost 40 years after "The Dinner Party's" original showing. Once again, she provides the reader with explanations of the 999 women represented in the work.
Melissa Lee-Tammeus
Nov 25, 2011 Melissa Lee-Tammeus rated it it was amazing
A beautiful coffee table book of a woman's art masterpiece. You just have to see it to appreciate it. I always hoped that I would see this art in person, but it never happened. Chicago is the feminist's voice in art and I praise her relentlessly.
Lindsey
Feb 04, 2010 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: artbooks
Great comprehensive book on The Dinner Party. It really delves into every part of the project with great information about every woman represented and history. A beautiful book.
Pia
Jan 05, 2008 Pia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful color-photo edition of Chicago's infamous installation, The Dinner Party.
Elizabeth Sims
Mar 04, 2017 Elizabeth Sims rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I saw the work in London back in the 80s I believe. Was moved by Chicago's tenacity in achieving her creative vision. It was not easy back then to be a female doing large-scale art about females and feminism. This book, good.
I want this book SO much.
Susan Altschuler
Susan Altschuler rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2014
John
John rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2014
Ginny Hanson
Ginny Hanson rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2013
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2010
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2017
Julie Gohman
Julie Gohman rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2015
Lesley
Lesley rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2009
Ruth Belasco
Ruth Belasco rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2012
Bev Sipos
Bev Sipos rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2012
Aja
Aja rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2008
Auriel Rose
Auriel Rose rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2017
Stevanne Auerbach
Stevanne Auerbach rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2014
Cindy Sigl
Cindy Sigl rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Country
Country rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Torie
Torie rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2008
Eileen Galer
Eileen Galer rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Hintonactual
Hintonactual rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • WACK! Art and the Feminist Revolution
  • White Women's Christ and Black Women's Jesus: Feminist Christology and Womanist Response
  • Power of Feminist Art
  • To Write Like a Woman: Essays in Feminism and Science Fiction
  • Mirror of the World: A New History of Art
  • When Women Were Priests
  • Letters from a War Zone
  • From Girl to Goddess: The Heroine's Journey Through Myth and Legend
  • The Subversive Stitch: Embroidery and the Making of the Feminine
  • Poems from the Women's Movement (American Poets Project)
  • Coming to Writing and Other Essays
  • Black Wings and Blind Angels
  • Texts of Terror: Literary-Feminist Readings of Biblical Narratives
  • In My Mother's House
  • Hands on the Freedom Plow: Personal Accounts by Women in SNCC
  • Remote Control: Power, Cultures, and the World of Appearances
  • Just a Sister Away: Understanding the Timeless Connection Between Women of Today and Women in the Bible
  • Over Her Dead Body: Death, Femininity and the Aesthetic

“And then all that has been divided us will merge
And then compassion will be wedded to power
And then softness will come to a world that is harsh and unkind
And then both men and women will be gentle
And then both women and men will be strong
And then no person will be subject to another's will
And then a will be rich and free and varied
And then the greed of some will give way to the needs of many
And then all will share equally in the Earth's abundance
And then we all will care for the sick and the weak and the old
And then we will all nourish the young
And then we will all cherish life's creatures
And then we will all live in harmony with each other and the Earth
And then everywhere will be called Eden once again.”
5 likes