Start by marking “The Sleeping Beauty” as Want to Read:
The Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeping Beauty

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  688 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Disgruntled at not being invited to the princess's christening, the wicked fairy casts a spell that dooms the princess to sleep for a hundred years.
Published November 2nd 1993 by Everyman's Library (first published January 1st 1920)

To ask other readers questions about The Sleeping Beauty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleeping Beauty

Cheryl
Cute read. Good for the little princess in your life. This was a free download and I hoped it might be the original. I should have known the original is a Grimm tale. This one is very sweet. The descriptions gets quite wordy. It could have been condensed even more. I liked it though.
Hope
Juliana Ewing (Victorian author) wrote: "Fairy tales have positive uses in education, which no cramming of facts, and no merely domestic fiction can serve. Like Proverbs and Parables, they deal with first principles under the simplest forms. They convey knowledge of the world, shrewd lessons of virtue and vice, of common sense and sense of humor, of the seemly and the absurd, of pleasure and pain, success and failure. . . . They treat not the corner of a nursery or a playground, but the world at ...more
Julia Brumfield
This was a beautiful variation of the Sleeping Beauty fairytale - so much of it was familiar but there were other parts that had been added that weren't. The author of this one has a beautiful command of words while being quite detailed in his writing even going to the point of explaining the dishes that were served at a feast.

I loved how there was so much more put into the story while also being quite happily surprised at the ending for it wasn't as I was expecting it - again one of those unf
Steph Gnadt
I've been meaning to cross this one off the to read list for years. Finally did it. The story is simpler than the Disney cartoon movie and not as entertaining as Maleficent. It really is just a nice children's story.
Mel
Read for free on Gutenberg. I'm not going to bother to review it. I guess everyone knows the story! I read this for a blog project :)
heather r murphy
Easy read

I read this in my way to Disney world. It was an easy read and kept me occupied during the flight.
Lynn
Beautifully told version of The Sleeping Beauty. This isn't the original version but a very very good one. I think CS Evans wrote it in the 20s. A lovely read which I highly recommend. I had forgotten. much of the story and replaced it with the Disney version which I don't think is very good, but I know I was exposed to this version many years ago as a child.
Chris
A version of Sleeping Beauty that has several of the motifs that found the way into the Disney movie. While some what dated, Evans should get credit for making his Briar Rose smart. She is studies everything so knows not only languages, but law and physics. While she still has to be rescued, she isn't a dumb blonde.
Robert
This was a short read but a bit different than the animated version. It was a good retelling of the original story and very interesting to note the changes such as the number of fairies listed as well as the 100 year old curse. It moves quickly but it was nice for an afternoon read. I read this on my kindle app for android.
Aaron Records
This was a very interesting read, because it can be fun to read the original fairy-tales and then compare them to the Disney version most of us are raised on. In particular, this story has some major differences to the Disney version, such as that there are thirteen fairies, not three good and one bad witch. Interesting read.
Andrea
It is a lengthening of the known fairy tale, very similar to the version of the Grimm brothers. Beautifully written and interesting. Although, I liked the short fairy tale much better because sometimes I felt that this one was way too embellished. Interesting nonetheless.
Rachel
i enjoyed this fairytale - different from the disney movie as most fairytales are.
Aurora (Briar-Rose) is one of my favourite disney princesses just because of her quiet nature, gentle and endless virtue.
the story was okay, quiet short but enjoyable nonetheless.
Rachel
So cute! The author has one amazing imagination! This is the original classic that inspired all the movies, plays, re-tellings, spin-offs, you name it. A bit long for a bed time story, but every little prince and princess should have this read to them. :)
Saby
This is a beautiful magical story. Its lesson? Try as you may you cannot control destiny. Sometimes we have to accept our fate. Sometimes it is for the best.

I love this book. I have nothing bad to say about it. Read it.
Therese
Feb 06, 2012 Therese rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves fairytales
Shelves: fairytales, children
Since I started watching Once upon a Time, I am more fascinated with fairy tales. Believe it or not, I never knew the story of Sleeping Beauty a.k.a. briar Rose. It is a charming tale that really should be called The Sleeping Castle.
$0.0
Melody McBride
I just love all the fairy tales. I love reading the original stories too, because most of what I know is what Disney has turned the story into in their movies. Which, of course, is totally different.

So I really enjoyed this. :)
Voracious_reader
Fun. Not as short as Perrault's version, not as dark as Grimm's, not as sexual as Giambattista's version. Quite suitable for children. I should ad that this version doesn't have the morality tale feel of the others.
Kristy
Another one I'm not too fond of. It was okay, and the beginning was really humorous, but the why on earth does pricking one's finger on a spinning wheel make somebody die???!
Kirsten
Beautiful, cleverly written version of this story from 1920. The best part are Arthur Rackham's wonderful, fascinating illustrations, done in the silhouette style.
Alyssa White
This book was refreshing, being able to take a story I grew up knowing and reading the this version of it. The detail in the story was amazing.
Beth
Not as good as I'd hoped. I thought this was going to be more like the original fairy tale, but it was more like the Disney version.
Emily
I wanted to see if it was similar to the Disney movie. It was a bit simpler, but it was still interesting enough to read and finish.
Heather
Sure different than the Disney version. I'm reading all these older fairy tales, and they seem darker than what we are used to.
Rachelle (Rachelle's Reading)
A familiar version of the fairy. Was upset that the ebook version lacked all the illustrations evidenced by captions.
Rocio Rodriguez Torres
Really entertaining quick read. I never read it as a child (of course I read the story, but they are so many versions).
Krisette Spangler
This is a retelling of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale. I enjoyed it, and the drawings by Arthur Rackham.
Kristina
Charming, cute and simple. A fun quick read for those who love to read the original versions of the classics
Katy
This is interesting in that it is not much like the Disney cartoon...
Sara
Dec 31, 2012 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Short but interesting retelling of the fairy tale.
  • Cinderella
  • On Dark Shores: The Lady
  • Cleopatra
  • Sight Unseen
  • Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (Penguin Young Readers, L4)
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Trolls
  • Real Ghost Stories
  • The Fortune-Tellers
  • What Do You Do, Dear?
  • English Fairy Tales
  • Journey Cake, Ho!
Cinderella Why Believe? Cinderella Preserving the Person: A Look at the Human Sciences Other Edens

“all things are simple when once you know them.” 0 likes