Start by marking “The Winner's Walk” as Want to Read:
The Winner's Walk

The Winner's Walk

Case Callahan isn't a star swimmer like his sister, Quinn. He's not a champion horse trainer like his father, or a popular stage actor like his mother. Still, Case is determined to make his mark. But one effort after another – talent show, science fair, junior horse show – is a terrible failure. It isn't until Case comes upon a lost dog that he finds his path to success. T ...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Winner's Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winner's Walk

Matthew Winner
Jan 11, 2009 Matthew Winner rated it really liked it
YES for our library.

A near-perfect read! I was very put-off by the cover of the book. The cartoon picture of a boy and his dog screams easy ready, but this book had a great story with characters we can care about and circumstances not necessarily common to children's stories.

In short, a boy struggles to find what he's good at. His mom is a reknowned singer. His father is a successful horse trainer. His sister seems to be perfect at everything she does. But our protagonist just can't seem to fin
Debby
Mar 05, 2008 Debby rated it it was ok
It's an easy read. The plot seemed a little contrived and jumped quickly forward in time which might be confusing to young children. Coming from a background in dog agility, the protagonist's ability to compete on a course with obstacles the dog has never had experience navigating and win first place may send the message that training a dog and being successful in dog agility is easy. The selflessness of the protagonist at the end is most likely why this book made it on the 2008-09 Texas Bluebon ...more
Haley
Jun 17, 2008 Haley rated it it was ok
Texas Bluebonnet for the '08-'09 school year. Case Callahan does not feel like he is a part of his talented family. His mother is a successful actress, his father is a champion horse trainer, and his sister is star swimmer. Although he tries real hard to find his talent including juggling at the school talent show and his efforts towards his science fair project, it's when he's not looking for his talent that he finally finds it. Case has a knack for training dogs.
Brenda Branson
Jun 21, 2008 Brenda Branson rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Children's novel about a young boy growing up with a family of winners. His goal is to one day, be a winner himself. He has great plans to win the school talent show, OR the science fair OR maybe, the junior horse show. Unfortunately for Quinn, things go bad and he realizes that he just isn't good at "anything" until, Noah, a stray lab shows up in his life. Noah helps Quinn discover that he has many talents. A wonderful dog story and self-esteem story with a bit of humor.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Case is the only one in his family who has no special talent, but Case has plans to change that. He enters a talent show, a science fair, and a horse show, but fails to make a mark in any events. He is about to give up when he finds a dog, a remarkable dog, and the dog helps Case find his own special talents as a dog trainer as well as his special talent of sharing.
Kit
Feb 09, 2008 Kit rated it it was ok
Don't bother with this one, which reads like an early draft of a novel rather than a finished one. We never really find out much about any of the characters, and the plot takes a long time to get off the ground.
Melissa
Jan 27, 2009 Melissa rated it liked it

I thought this was a pretty strong book with a male protagonist targeted at 3rd or 4th graders. Easy to recommend and may appeal to dog lovers espescially.
Dianna
Oct 10, 2008 Dianna rated it really liked it
This is one of the Virginia Reader's Choice books. I read it outloud to my class, and they LOVED it! We are using the VRC books for our book discussions on Blackboard!
Rebecca
Mar 24, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-and-teens
A sweet book about learning to do the right thing, even when it is hard. I can see why my boys love it!
AliS
AliS rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2013
Kimberly
Jul 13, 2008 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: bluebonnets
Even though Case loves his newfound dog, he realizes that giving is better than receiving.
Leila
Leila rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2008
Peggy Honaker
Peggy Honaker rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Dominique
Dominique rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Jazli Lopez
Jan 27, 2016 Jazli Lopez rated it it was amazing
I liked this book, and I have tried training a dog like Case did before.
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2009
Ines
Ines rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2008
Mackenzie
Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
Hannah
Hannah rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2010
rose
rose rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Cindy Clark
Cindy Clark rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Roberto
Roberto rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2015
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2009
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2008
Margie McMahon
Margie McMahon rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2008
Raquel Kallideen
Raquel Kallideen rated it it was ok
Jan 24, 2012
Kat C
Kat C rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2008
Danny
Danny rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2009
Kennedy
May 17, 2011 Kennedy rated it it was amazing
This book really taught me a lot about guide dogs! :)
Zonia