Start by marking “The Winner's Walk” as Want to Read:
The Winner's Walk

The Winner's Walk

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Case Callahan isn't a star swimmer like his sister, Quinn. He's not a champion horse trainer like his father, or a popular stage actor like his mother. Still, Case is determined to make his mark. But one effort after another - talent show, science fair, junior horse show - is a terrible failure. It isn't until Case comes upon a lost dog that he finds his path to success. T ...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Winner's Walk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winner's Walk

Matthew
YES for our library.

A near-perfect read! I was very put-off by the cover of the book. The cartoon picture of a boy and his dog screams easy ready, but this book had a great story with characters we can care about and circumstances not necessarily common to children's stories.

In short, a boy struggles to find what he's good at. His mom is a reknowned singer. His father is a successful horse trainer. His sister seems to be perfect at everything she does. But our protagonist just can't seem to fin
Debby
It's an easy read. The plot seemed a little contrived and jumped quickly forward in time which might be confusing to young children. Coming from a background in dog agility, the protagonist's ability to compete on a course with obstacles the dog has never had experience navigating and win first place may send the message that training a dog and being successful in dog agility is easy. The selflessness of the protagonist at the end is most likely why this book made it on the 2008-09 Texas Bluebon ...more
Brenda Branson
Children's novel about a young boy growing up with a family of winners. His goal is to one day, be a winner himself. He has great plans to win the school talent show, OR the science fair OR maybe, the junior horse show. Unfortunately for Quinn, things go bad and he realizes that he just isn't good at "anything" until, Noah, a stray lab shows up in his life. Noah helps Quinn discover that he has many talents. A wonderful dog story and self-esteem story with a bit of humor.
Haley
Texas Bluebonnet for the '08-'09 school year. Case Callahan does not feel like he is a part of his talented family. His mother is a successful actress, his father is a champion horse trainer, and his sister is star swimmer. Although he tries real hard to find his talent including juggling at the school talent show and his efforts towards his science fair project, it's when he's not looking for his talent that he finally finds it. Case has a knack for training dogs.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Case is the only one in his family who has no special talent, but Case has plans to change that. He enters a talent show, a science fair, and a horse show, but fails to make a mark in any events. He is about to give up when he finds a dog, a remarkable dog, and the dog helps Case find his own special talents as a dog trainer as well as his special talent of sharing.
Kit
Don't bother with this one, which reads like an early draft of a novel rather than a finished one. We never really find out much about any of the characters, and the plot takes a long time to get off the ground.
Dianna
This is one of the Virginia Reader's Choice books. I read it outloud to my class, and they LOVED it! We are using the VRC books for our book discussions on Blackboard!
Melissa

I thought this was a pretty strong book with a male protagonist targeted at 3rd or 4th graders. Easy to recommend and may appeal to dog lovers espescially.
Rebecca
A sweet book about learning to do the right thing, even when it is hard. I can see why my boys love it!
Kimberly
Even though Case loves his newfound dog, he realizes that giving is better than receiving.
Kennedy
This book really taught me a lot about guide dogs! :)
Maggie
I am a dog lover and this book was surely for me.
stillme
A
SM
Yihan.wang
Shawna
Shawna marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
Maloy Kids
Maloy Kids marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ellie Ever The Christmas Cup A Simple Gift The Shiniest Rock of All Christmas Cup