Start by marking “In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara, #1)

In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord (The Sword of Shannara #1)

4.03  ·  Rating Details ·  5,066 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The fate of a world rests on an unlikely hero. . . .

Tucked away in peaceful Shady Vale, the young half-elf Shea Ohmsford gives little thought to the outside world. Yet far to the north, the evil Warlock Lord has dispatched shadowy Skull Bearers, creatures twisted by dark sorcery, to hunt him down. At the same time, a black-cloaked giant of a man appears in Shady Vale. He c
Published August 5th 2009 by Del Rey (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of the Warlock Lord

Pranav G
Oct 11, 2016 Pranav G rated it really liked it
I read the book Sword of Shannara part 1 Shadow of the Warlock Lord by Terry Brooks. The Sword of Shannara is fantasy because there is magic, mystical creatures, and the story takes place in a different world. The main character Shea and his half- brother Flick encounter a Druid named Allanon. He explains to them that Shea is a descendent of an ancient Elven king and is the only remaining heir to the Sword of Shannara. The Sword of Shannara is the only thing that can defeat the powerful Warlock ...more
Clare Farrelly
overall I enjoyed this book and want to continue with the series, but I felt as if a lot of it had been stolen from Lord of The Rings. There is a fellowship (though not called such) with people way to similar in character to the fellowship in Lord of the Rings. The greatest difference being that they are on a quest to find a sword instead of loose a ring.

I also fell asleep (almost) while reading the beginning and I felt like the characters were being told stuff for the readers benefit and not th
Josh Barron
Apr 21, 2008 Josh Barron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: more the middle age men
Recommended to Josh by: Both of my older brothers
This is just the beginning of what is the best series of books with the different races of characters from montain trolls to humans. I can truely compare my life style or what I would like my life style to be. Going on long journies throught mountain areas and grass plans. In the book it brings people that dont really like eachother to frinds that are as close as brothers. Well I think that if you are ready to move on with the every day books of kids having personal problem and girls that hate t ...more
Tonya
Oct 18, 2012 Tonya rated it did not like it
I'm doing something I have never done before, not finish a book. I've always worked my way through pieces of writing I didn't like, in hopes that by the time I got to the end I would find something redeeming about the book. But I am learning I have wasted too much time on bad writing.

This repetitive story was laced with too many adverbs. Plus it seemed he had just finished reading Lord of the Rings and no one should try to recreate Tolkien.

I'm not giving up on the author, will look to read anoth
Steen
May 10, 2011 Steen rated it it was ok
So I am not sure what to think about the story. There were a few things that I hated about the book, mainly, it was pretty wordy and the big blocks of text on each page. Although it did semi pick up around page 150ish for me. I really don't care about any of the characters so far and I don't know if it's just me but I can't stand the main characters name! It bugs me for some reason. I'm going to try and read part two and see how it goes. I'm just not sure this is the fantasy book for me :/ Hopef ...more
Nina
Jan 10, 2016 Nina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Severek okudum. Fazlasıyla Yüzük Kardeşliği'ne benzediği söylense de ben çok takılmadım bu konuya. Neticede zaten pek çok fantastikkurgu birbirine benziyor. Seçilmiş kişi, sıkı dostlar, hedef, hedefe giden bir yolculuk ve o yol üzerinde kötülerin kötüsü düşmanlar. Shannara'nın kılıcı bu anlamda çok özgün olmasa da doyurucu bence. Sadece neden üçe bölünmüş bu ilk kitap, onu anlamak mümkün değil.

Bizde Shannara'nın Kılıcı I, II ve III olmak üzere 3 kitap şeklinde çıktı. Bilmiyorum tek kitap halinde
C
Oct 24, 2012 C rated it liked it
having read most of the Shannara books, I wasn't all that pleased with the ending point for this first part of the Sword of Shannara. It was fun going back to a book I hadn't read since middle school, and it was a good as I remembered it, although struggling through some weak writing at a point or two. I didn't remember how often people are described by their "frames" as being wide or slender or lithe or whatever, it gets distracting.
Bekah
Jul 21, 2012 Bekah rated it liked it
This was a recommendation from a friends husband. It was ok I wish I loved it, but just didn't. I felt like this book was a cross between Lord of the Rings and The Princess Bride... but I have never read either of those, only watched the movies. Good plot, likable characters, really lame occasional illustrations (could have done without those) maybe just a little too out there. I will probably finish the series though, what can I say ... I like to read even when the book is mediocre.
Johnny Brooks
I enjoyed the story, but not the writing so much. However I am willing to give the next installment a chance. Hopefully we will see some improvement in the writing and hopefully the story continues along as well as it has so far.
Alex Gonçalves
May 31, 2013 Alex Gonçalves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There certainly is a lot of similarities to LOTR but it still remains very original and captivating. It was also easy to read. I finished it in about 3 days (which is a record for me since I don't read a lot)
Tosh
Feb 16, 2016 Tosh added it
Shelves: dnf
DNFing for now. I may come back to it in the future, but so far it has been a struggle to stay interested and I would really rather get to some of my other books. Not to mention, I'm reading LoTR now so the similarities are very obvious, as well as the difference in quality.

Jen Jenson
Hated it. I know that it's very popular and everyone loves it. I couldn't continue with the self-inflicted torture. I read over half, hoping that it would improve. It didn't.

Full review still needs to be written.

Finished 18 September 2013
Emerald
Aug 18, 2014 Emerald rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
if I could rate the different parts of this book, I would. the first 1/3 was so boring. like a 1 or 2 star. the last 60 pages was a 5 star. so averaging that to a 3. I will be reading the other 2 parts in the series.
Jana
May 04, 2010 Jana rated it it was ok
Shelves: partially-read
I got about half way through and lost interest. Too much hyperbole, too much deus ex machina, not enough character development, too much journeying for my taste. I guess I'm just not an "epic" fantasy kind of person.
Crystal
Mar 24, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
It was a great book. I read it before a long time ago and wanted to read it again, but is it only the first part of the story.
Natalie Gazey
Dec 30, 2015 Natalie Gazey rated it liked it
I enjoyed it but it was very lord of the ringy, unfortunately I won't be buying the rest in the series x
Callie Carling
Mar 06, 2013 Callie Carling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Laffmatth
Laffmatth rated it did not like it
May 22, 2014
Daniel Embertson
Daniel Embertson rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2012
Bernadette Rowley
Bernadette Rowley rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2012
Mario
Mario rated it it was ok
Jul 01, 2013
Rick Martinson
Rick Martinson rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2015
laslig
laslig rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Ellen Logan
Ellen Logan rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2011
Arturo Montaia
Arturo Montaia rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Michael Bates
Michael Bates rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Rand Althor
Rand Althor rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Troy Leven
Troy Leven rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2013
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2014
new one? 3 16 Aug 02, 2008 09:05PM
  • The Sword of Truth Boxed Set II: Temple of the Winds; Soul of the Fire; Faith of the Fallen (Sword of Truth, #4-6)
  • The Malloreon Boxed Set: Guardians of the West / King of the Murgos / Demon Lord of Karanda / Sorceress of Darshiva / The Seeress of Kell (The Malloreon, #1-5)
  • The Riftwar Saga (The Riftwar Saga, #1-4)
  • From the Two Rivers: The Eye of the World, Part 1 (Wheel of time, #1-1)
  • The Lost Swords: The Second Triad (Lost Swords, #4-6)
  • Assassin's Apprentice / Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #1-2)
  • Night of the Dragons (Dragons of Autumn Twilight, #2; Dragonlance Chronicles, #2)
  • Xanth: The Quest for Magic (Xanth, #1-3)
  • The Hunter's Blades Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: Hunter's Blades, #1-3; Legend of Drizzt, #14-16)
  • Raymond E. Feist's Magician Master
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

The Sword of Shannara (3 books)
  • The Druids' Keep (The Sword of Shannara, #2)
  • The Secret of the Sword (The Sword of Shannara, #3)