Start by marking “The Man Who Awoke” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Awoke

The Man Who Awoke

Norman Winters puts himself into suspended animation for 5,000 years at a time. The stories detail his ensuing adventures as he tries to make sense of the societies he encounters each time he wakes.
Mass Market Paperback, 186 pages
Published 1977 by Sphere (first published 1933)

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Awoke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Awoke

Nandakishore Varma
Oct 24, 2015 Nandakishore Varma rated it liked it
This is one of those pioneering SF novels, more of interest to the aficionado than to the general reader. It is episodic in nature, and was serialised in one of the old magazines which Isaac Asimov cut his milk teeth on. In fact, I initially read the first episode of this novel in Asimov's Before the Golden Age: A Science Fiction Anthology of the 1930s, and was delighted to see the full novel at a charity sale.

The premise is interesting, though the science is a bit wonky. The banker Winters mana
Steve Haynes
Jul 03, 2012 Steve Haynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my all time favourite science fiction work. I discovered this as a teenager. Lawrence Manning only ever wrote this, originally serialised on magazines, and then "retired". A simple premise which results in an epic journey. So many modern sci-fi concepts are born here. This is the ONE book I have kept from my teenage years.
Jose Moa
Dec 10, 2016 Jose Moa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Putting aside the science of suspended animation,wrong,this is a interesting and valuable tale.

A man after a long suspended animation in order to see how the human society evolves in the long time (a doubtful option seeing the today world ) awakes in a world that is a near utopic society,living in small comunities with direct democracy,a sustainable explotation of resources and with advanced tecnology that leaves the people a lot of spare time for leisure,hobbies ,study or investigation (it rem
Roland Volz
Nov 03, 2010 Roland Volz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pulp fans
Recommended to Roland by: I Heart Chaos blog
Shelves: science-fiction
Recommended on I Heart Chaos, I found it on PaperBackSwap and decided to pick it up.

This is possibly the most interesting sci-fi novel from the 30's that you will ever read. Manning's writing shows its age in places, but his visions are truly advanced and interesting. Although he wrote in a time long before the term Posthumanism had been defined, his writing shows a real understanding of the concept. Truly an excellent sci-fi book that I'd recommend to anyone who has an eye toward reading older
Kevin King
Jan 13, 2009 Kevin King rated it it was amazing
I first read this when I was in my 1st year at uni (1996) sitting in a park with a bag-of-beer. it was a beautiful experience. this is one of the few books that I have read more than three times, I know I will always return to this this book, time and time again.
Rhys
Oct 27, 2015 Rhys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the great underrated 'classics' of early science-fiction. I first discovered the work of Laurence Manning in a big anthology edited by Isaac Asimov that was called Before the Golden Age. This anthology was devoted to stories that the young Asimov recalled being particularly impressed by when he was reading pulp SF magazines in the 1930s. His anthology includes Manning's story 'The Man who Awoke' and I found this to be one of the most interesting tales in the collection.

I knew from Asimov'
Ubik
Sep 27, 2008 Ubik rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like fun SF
Really 3.5 stars. It was definitely an enjoyable read and a fun romp through time. It felt to me more fantasy-like in a sense though (its not really a fantasy though) as no technology was explained nor did any of it really seem like it could ever happen. Manning's storytelling within these made-up "worlds" was cool enough though. Its a quick fun read that I would recommend to people with an extra day or so on hand to take in.
Chris
Dec 13, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and would read it again if I had it in my collection.
María Paz Greene
Qué libro más impresionante, que haya sido escrito en 1933, no me lo puedo creer. Es tan... creativo y valiente, el autor tiene tantos cojones, hace preguntas que yo nunca haría en un libro (creo) porque no tendría idea de cómo responderlas, preguntas que no solo hace, ¡sino que también contesta! O sea, este libro al final básicamente dice cuál es el sentido de la existencia y de la humanidad, jaja. No digo necesariamente que tenga razón, pero lo hace, y de que vale la pena leerlo, lo vale.

Y no
Tomislav
The five stories in this fix-up novel were first published in successive issues of Wonder Stories during 1933. Laurence Manning was a Canadian-born science fiction writer (1899-1972), who authored several series of stories for pulp magazines, and mostly gave up his writing career in 1935 to run a mail-order nursery business. In 1975, Ballantine published them together in paperback form for the first time.

The stories concern a man named Norman Winters, who puts himself into a state of suspended a
David
Sep 04, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series of linked stories based on a variation on the theme of Wells' THE SLEEPER AWAKES - a man of 'our time' goes into suspended animation and wakes up in the future. The difference is that Manning's protagonist is an old-ish tycoon who deliberately puts himself into suspension (in 1930s USA) with a timer system so that he can awake in the future and do a bit time tourism.

The first future era he encounters is remarkably prescient - a low-population, eco-friendly world where the bigge
Saran Wolf
Jun 01, 2016 Saran Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was ten, my dad had it on his shelves. It was one of the most amaizing books I had ever read, and far beyond what I had ever imagined at that age, and I was a writer, an imaginer extraordinaire! Its scenes stayed with me ever since, the concrete highway overgrown, the people retreated into a dreamworld out of the real world, and in these it prefaced many later books and stories to come.

Some of it no doubt owes a debt to HG Wells' 'The Time Machine' but it is a continuum - jus
Jade Lily
Jun 05, 2016 Jade Lily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I'm geniunely impressed that so many people know and love this book. Although, I must admit to being ashamed of my reasons for reading this. Lawrence Manning was my great-grandfather. I enjoyed this story, yet did not love it. It's sad that I find complete strangers with a greater connection to it than me, but nonetheless I'm proud his work is still remembered. I hope people will continue reading and remembering much longer.
Grey Wolf
Jun 29, 2013 Grey Wolf rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was another of those epic books from my final year of primary school where so much of what I read shaped my creative self for the rest of my life. A brilliant book, very evocative and one that stays in the memory for a lifetime.
Oscar
Nov 17, 2013 Oscar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it.
Jon
Dec 24, 2007 Jon rated it really liked it
Prophetic sci-fi book from the 1930s that accurately predicted genetic engineering and the internet.
Glenda
Glenda rated it it was ok
Feb 10, 2015
Ray Gardener
Ray Gardener rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2017
Mack
Mack rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Rob Stockton
Rob Stockton rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2015
George Sampson
George Sampson rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it it was ok
Sep 10, 2015
Forrest Thiessen
Forrest Thiessen rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2011
Dale
Dale rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Vincent Pet
Vincent Pet rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Diego Molla
Diego Molla rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2013
David Minor
David Minor rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Ahem!
Ahem! rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2012
Elise Pallagi
Elise Pallagi rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Richard Hopkins
Richard Hopkins rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015