Start by marking “To See You Again” as Want to Read:
To See You Again

To See You Again

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  553 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
This is the true story of an extraordinary woman and the two loves of her life - a man lost in the tumult of World War II, and a friend who becomes her husband. It is 1944 in Budapest. Two wartime lovers vow that, if ever separated, they will find each other no matter what happens, and no matter what the cost.
Thirty years later - having survived life in a concentration ca
Audio
Published September 27th 1999 by Nova Audio Books

To ask other readers questions about To See You Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To See You Again

Carissa
Feb 23, 2008 Carissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You MUST read this book! This was a truly beautiful love story. It is a true story, told by one of the main characters, and it made me cry so much. Nothing is more romantic and emotional than a love story that is real, not made up by someone's imagination.
Jesika
Sep 03, 2010 Jesika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Great book with gut wrenching details. At many points in the story I was saying out loud..Oh my god and would close my eyes wincing in pain. Yeah also by the way do not read this book before bed. Reading about holocaust happenings is a recipe for bad sleep and or bad dreams ;)
I was waiting and waiting toward the end for Baby and Richie to reunite. Through the years I was wondering how she could still be so in love with him. I'm trusting that this is a true story as it claims and none of the det
Amyluvchild
Apr 06, 2010 Amyluvchild rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this story! I felt as though I was there, reliving her years during the holocaust. It's a story that is so raw, so delicate, and so heart-breaking, that I have a much more appreciation for history and the knowledge of events that took place during WWII. I admire Betty Schimmel. I am sure it was not easy to write about everything horrific that has happened to her, and I applaud her for doing so. She poured her heart to us in this book, about her struggle to live and havin ...more
Caroline Orien

A woman writes her story about how she was separated from her childhood love because of World War II. I have mixed feelings about this book. My heart broke for her because of the horrible and horrific things she had to endure but I didn't really like her as a person. I felt she was very self absorbed and her book did not flow very well. Her story is a tragedy because she continued to live in the past while trying to live a normal life on the surface. But, how can I blame her? Because of circumst
Karyl
In a way, Betty Schimmel was a very lucky person. As a girl, her father moved the family from Czechoslovakia to Budapest, Hungary, in order to flee the Nazis. But eventually, the Nazis invaded even Hungary, and it was then that Betty and her mother and siblings were sent to a concentration camp. What makes her lucky is that the invasion didn't happen until March of 1944, so the family didn't have to endure years and years of starvation and overwork like the Jews in Germany. Also Betty's mother w ...more
Charlie
Jul 10, 2015 Charlie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ww11, non-fiction
This book read more like a fiction. However, Betty Schimmel had a fascinating story to tell. It just seems hard to believe that ALL of the events were true, I'll take her word on it though. Calling herself "pretty" practically in every chapter was a bit too much. And, she apparently was a brat and a carefree individual that could have cost her life and her family's life as well during the Holocaust.

So, I gave it a 4 because I believe the story is TOTALY TRUE. Hope that nothing untrue was added
This was an interesting book. The only other book I've read regarding the holocost was Anne Frank, Diary of A Young Girl, and this was a bit different. The author actually spent most of the war outside of the prison camps, trying to stay under the radar, with her mother and siblings. She meets a boy and falls in love and they are ripped from each other destined never to see each other again. She's a tough little girl, which makes me wonder why she ended up marrying a man she didn't love and puni ...more
Phaedra221
Jan 06, 2015 Phaedra221 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of love: knowing love, love lost, love found, to know love yet again. A story that hurts in many ways and I wonder what others would have done if they found themselves is the same situation as Otto in 1950, as Baby (Betty) during her trip to Budapest in 1975. A story of amazing survival and a mother who did what she could to keep her three children together during WWII. Had not been aware of the Arrow Cross Party in Hungary and their atrocities. At times, reading this book is painful, bu ...more
Po
Dec 14, 2013 Po rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs, non-fiction
This book has an amazing story, which happens to be true, making it even more amazing. The author is a Holocaust survivor, and she recounts her youth in Eastern Europe, the Hungarian march, time at a concentration camp, and then in the camps afterwards waiting to head to America. Truly blows my mind that this was only two generations ago. The author's love for her mother and father, and their fierce, undying parental love is humbling.

When you factor in the amazing love story, and her reunion wi
Lvarley
Nov 04, 2011 Lvarley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this one! Betty and Richie are a young couple who want to be together for life and make plans to be married in the future. They are both Jewish and are forced to separate in 1944 due to the German invasion. Betty tells the story of her horrific times she is forced to endure and the hope of being with Richie again is never far from her thoughts.

She survives and marries Otto, and he is aware of her feelings for a man she hasn't seen in years. Yet Betty knows that if she is reunite
anieva
Aug 23, 2008 anieva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantics
Recommended to anieva by: found it in a bargain-book section of a store
Janis Harrington
An autobiography by Betty Schimmel's life during the Nazi occupation of Hungary and her survival of the Hungary Death March from Budapest to the Mauthausen Concentration Camp in Austria is filled with graphic details. That juxtaposed with an unrequited teenage romance that haunts her entire lifetime shows the lasting effects of the Holocaust on its victims. It is an interesting story and a tremendously fast read, but the Holocaust itself is overshadowed with her obsessive search for her lost lov ...more
Chelsea
I would have put a spoiler warning for this review, but even just looking at the pictures included in the middle of the book you can guess the outcome of the story, which also ultimately was a big reason why I didn't enjoy the book as much...

Betty's story of growing up while trying to survive as a Jew during WWII is gut-wretchingly sad. Though Holocaust-themed literature and movies abound, reading a personal story of someone who was forced to endure a death march, as well as one of the horrifyin
Taylor
Jun 24, 2012 Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never been much of a Biography reader, but I couldn't put this one down. The story was heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, disturbing, and I loved every minute. I didn't like that it happened, obviously, but it was such a vivid retelling that I was emotionally invested and bawled like a baby at the end. I agree and disagree with the decision, for various reasons. If you're even slightly interested in the Holocaust, read this book.
Edwina Hall Callan
This is the true story about a young couple, very much in love, dreaming about their future together. They are Jewish, they live in Budapest and the year is 1944 ... they are torn apart ... sent to concentration camps ... and miraculously survive. She thinks he is dead ... but nearly 30 years later ... a strange twist of fate brings them face to face ... and back into each others arms.
This book had me in tears ... more than once.
Julie
Sep 25, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance Lovers and Star Crossed Lovers
Recommended to Julie by: Linda Spitler
Shelves: school-year-2010
I could not believe that this book was actually a true story! I read as if it could be fiction based on all the twists and turns of Betty's life. It really is true that sometimes "truth is better than fiction." The story had me thinking long after I had finished reading it. I still cannot believe the ending and wonder...what if?
Leah
Dec 02, 2014 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most incredible book I have ever read. I couldn't put it down. And I had to read in isolation so I could cry. It's a very touching and heart-wrenching story. If you've been to Budapest, it's also extremely descriptive of places. Being there after reading the book was sobering.
Ronit
Dec 26, 2015 Ronit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend suggested this to me when I was heart broken as a teenager after a break up, said it might make me happy/comforted, and it really was a touching story, about how someone found love and happiness after losing the love of her life during the holocaust... until one day she bumped into him again... not going to share what happened next, but it was a really good book, sharing the sides of the holocaust you normally don't read about- what happened to relationships, and did they manage to surv ...more
Wendy Lu
Apr 13, 2016 Wendy Lu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this obscure little book at my local library a few years ago. Betty's story is so intriguing & fascinating (and heartbreaking) that it deserves to be made into a movie which, I think, was discussed but nothing came of it. She has since passed on, so has her oldest son, Robert, who died in a car accident. I think Otto is still living. Anyway, I loved the book so much that I ordered my own copy & recommend it to everyone.
Gerry
Apr 29, 2016 Gerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A powerful story told in a disappointingly bland and matter-of-fact writing style. Schimmel’s account of the horrors of the Holocaust is the best part of this book; but after she spent literally hundreds of pages describing the depth of her love for her lost fiancé, her report of her brief encounter with him was surprisingly undramatic.
Koren
To See You Again: A True Story Of Love And War by Betty Schimmel
4 stars

The author was a Jewish teenager during the Holocaust. She was separated from her boyfriend and spent most of the rest of her life pining away for him, even after marrying and having children. Will she find him and leave her home and family for him? There may be a spoiler in my review so dont scroll down if you dont want to know.

I really liked this book and couldnt put it down waiting to find out if she found her childhood l
Catherine
This is more of a 3.5 star book.

I liked Betty's honesty thoughout the book. She showed herself, warts and all. She walked the line between being a self-absorbed teen and helping her mother and trying to make her mother happy.

I was mad at Otto for pushing her into marriage so quickly, but it is hard to be mad at Otto. He lost everything and wanted a family so badly.

I think in the end, Betty made the right choice, but it was so sad. Stupid Hitler - he stole so much from so many. I wonder (view
Milla Tuominen
Jun 19, 2015 Milla Tuominen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best I have read. It is at the same time horrible story of the pain that not many people have gone through and an unbelievable love story about love that only few people can experience in their life.
Cheri Lesko
Jan 04, 2015 Cheri Lesko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was well written but seemed a bit unbalanced. So much time was spent before and during the war and then so little time after the war. The strength of their mother was amazing.
Bonnie
Oct 05, 2012 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandra
Jan 03, 2012 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brenda
Jul 13, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holocaust
Heartbreaking, sole definition of survival right here! Holocaust, concentration camps, murder, starvation and true hell on earth and love, true love. In the midst of war, a love grows strong, but when war moved them in separate directions, would they ever find each other again?
Colleen Lahey
Apr 18, 2015 Colleen Lahey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible book about Betty Schimmel who survived the Holocaust. A very sad book, however. Have tissues ready.
Cynthia
May 31, 2014 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I really liked this book. The fact that the story is true made it all the better.
Tracie Gutknecht
It very much reminded me of the Diary of Anne Frank.
  • I Remember Nothing More: The Warsaw Children's Hospital and the Jewish Resistance
  • The Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak: Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto
  • Hope Is the Last to Die: A Coming of Age Under Nazi Terror : A Classic of Holocaust Literature
  • Upon the Head of the Goat: A Childhood in Hungary 1939-1944
  • The Ra Material: An Ancient Astronaut Speaks
  • From a Name to a Number: A Holocaust Survivor's Autobiography
  • Washington Goes to War
  • Edith's Story
  • Shadow of His Hand: a Story Based on the Life of Holocaust Survivor Anita Dittman (Daughters of the Faith Series)
  • From the Ashes of Sobibor: A Story of Survival