Max for President

Max for President

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Max thinks that he would like to be class president.

So does Kelly.

But there can only be one president!

Who will the class elect?

Full of laughs and suspense, Max for President is a lively story of good sportsmanship—and a great way for kids to learn a little about elections, too!
Published July 13th 2004 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Max for President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Max for President

Liz
It's time for Max’s class to elect a class president. Max runs for president. So does Kelly. Both of them make posters, and buttons for their classmates to wear, and they both give speeches in which they make promises. Kelly wins. Max is sad. The teacher tells Kelly her first job is to pick a vice president who can help her. She asks Max to be her vice president and he agrees. They begin doing things to help the class.

"Max for president" could be read aloud to the youngest children, but the lang...more
Camille
I read this to a group of first graders as an "election" unit book. My pre-read told me this was an instructive and straight-forward, "here's how we vote" book. I was delighted but unprepared for how much the children loved this little story.

Max is running for class president but Kelly also decides to run. Both children make posters and hand out buttons and campaign with their plans to improve the school.

What touched my heart while I read was the little voice that softly said, "I wish they bo...more
Cherina
Summary: Both Max and Kelly wish to be their class's next president. They both campaign vigorously, making signs, passing out buttons, and making promises. The class votes and selects Kelly to be their new president. Kelly is happy. Max is sad. When it comes time for Kelly to pick a vice president, she chooses Max and the two work very hard together to make their school a better place.

Uses: independent reading for early readers; read-aloud for primary grades (perhaps if students complain about...more
Christine Turner
Max thinks that he would like to be class president. So does Kelly. But there can only be one president! Who will the class elect? Full of laughs and suspense, Max for President is a lively story of good sportsmanship, and a great way for kids to learn a little about elections, too!

Subjects

Elections -- Juvenile fiction.

Sportsmanship -- Juvenile fiction

Schools -- Juvenile fiction
Kristi
i got this book because it's about a boy, and with oliver and esme being raised by two women, i think it's important to have men/boys in many of the books we read. Plus, this book is about politics, which i love. anywho. imagine my (happy) surprise when max loses and kelly, the girl, wins the presidency! cute book.
Danielle Desmarais
-Simple story about a class election.
-Max would love to be class president, but so would Kelly.
-They both try very hard, but Kelly wins. She then asks him to be her Vice President.
-Good story about winning and losing, and also class elections!
-Interesting illustrations

-1st grade reading level.
Kelly
Mar 10, 2011 Kelly added it
Shelves: picture-book
I like the big simple illustrations and how the text size changes depending on the number of words on the page and excitement. The hair on the teacher is very "Lunch Lady."
Charles
Max for President: embodies a loyal committment to serve the student body. I was impressed by his firm attitude and clear vision; however very few people run unopposed.
Katey
This a cute book about not being dissapointed. Max is running for class president but Kelly wins. She then makes him Vice President and everyone is happy.
The Styling Librarian
Love the compassion developed through this book... growing beyond competition.
Cheryl
Timely for election. Good message about cooperation.
Kids Voting Durham
studiojjk.com
punkfarm.com
lunchladycomics.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarrett J. Krosoczka used to be a goofy kid that liked to draw. Now, he is a published author/illustrator with many books to his credit. Growing up in Worcester, MA Jarrett drew relentlessly and always had a cast of characters that he wrote stories for. In 9th grade, Jarrett won a contest with The Worcester Telegram & Ga...more
More about Jarrett J. Krosoczka...
Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Lunch Lady, #1) Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2) Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5) Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3) Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (Lunch Lady, #7)