Start by marking “Annie Was Warned” as Want to Read:
Annie Was Warned

Annie Was Warned

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  146 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Annie was warned not to go to the creepy Montgomery mansion . . . and maybe she wouldn’t have if her best friend hadn’t dared her. But Annie isn’t afraid of anything. Not bats, not spiders, and certainly not some haunted house. Or is she?
Published August 26th 2003 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Annie Was Warned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Annie Was Warned

ratherread
Jan 05, 2014 ratherread rated it it was amazing
My 3 year old grandson LOVES this story and I have read it to him at least 25 times this weekend. LOL!!
I read it out-loud in a creepy dramatic voice. The first time I read it, my grandson kept covering his eyes, scared to see what Annie was going to encounter next. Hahaha! But after the delightful surprise ending, he has decided this is one of his favorite books.

I'm starting a new GR bookshelf called "Grandma RatherRead Favorites" where I am going to rate children's books by my grandson's react
Camille
Oct 30, 2010 Camille rated it really liked it
Annie's birthday is on Halloween. She tests her nerve and courage by going to a creepy, haunted? house, on a dare, on Halloween night. On the book cover, Annie peers around a door. Her eyes are wide. Her face registers apprehension and fear but she IS moving forward, shining her flashlight into the eyes of the reader, dazzling us with the light and her bravery. Krosoczka's artistic technique, composition, color palette evoke the eeriness of the night and solitude of the child in the book's paint ...more
Heidi
Good Halloween story. It has some of the scary elements but not overly so. It has things that could feel creepy. And the pictures even go at different views and angles to try to give the story a mysterious, spooky feel. Still, for a much younger audience.

10/26/10 & 10/28/10 This went well in both preschool storytimes. I had a fairly small turn out for both (considering previous weeks). But they liked it, and they loved the ending. It really did surprise some of the children.
babyhippoface
Despite her friends' warnings, Annie is determined to enter the haunted house. What she finds waiting for her there is a surprise, indeed.

This is perfect for kids who think they want scary stories but aren't really ready to handle them.
Larissa
Jun 23, 2015 Larissa rated it really liked it
Krosoczka, Jarrett. Annie Was Warned. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2003. Print. Ages 8-10. Annie was warned was a very simple, easy read for children especially, but it really caught me off guard. This book is about Annie who was warned not to go to the mansion because it was "haunted", so she decided to take a risk and not listen to the others. She went to the mansion by herself, but it turns out that it really was a planned surprise party, not sure how that happened, but it honestly shocked me q ...more
Sara
Sep 12, 2012 Sara rated it really liked it
Annie Was Warned is a scary and suspenseful book. Annie is dared to go to the haunted mansion by herself on Halloween. At first, she doesn’t seem to be afraid of spiders and bats, but as she begins her journey down to the house, she begins hearing things, seeing things, and feeling things. She is a bit scared, as she gets closer to the haunted house; as she prepares to open the door, her friends are inside and yell “surprise.” In the end, her friend had dared her to go to the haunted house becau ...more
Tamara the Librarian
Love Krosoczka's art. Fun story about a girl being brave creeping out at night to head to a scary mansion- and ending up at a surprise birthday party.
Marcia
A just right Halloween book for the very young. A bit spooky and mysterious, with a happy surprise ending. Terrific Krosoczka illustrations as always.
Garren
Jan 09, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
I like how the moral is to ignore safety warnings and it will all turn out fine. No, really, it's an amusing thing that I do like seeing at times.
Annie Carbutt
Jul 21, 2015 Annie Carbutt rated it it was ok
Annie isn't afraid of anything, not even the old creepy mansion, and won't let anything stop her from going there Halloween night. But a big surprise is waiting for her there. This is a short and simple story. As Annie progresses in her journey, hints of something eerie creep up on the pages. As the story reaches its climax, a fold-out page with a hidden surprise builds suspense. For a young audience, I can see how this could be an engaging book (especially on the first read-through). Overall, t ...more
Sara Shaw
Jun 19, 2014 Sara Shaw rated it liked it
Childhood book and I read it to my small cousins xD
Cara
Oct 23, 2015 Cara rated it liked it
This was pretty cute, but nothing special.
Lizzie
Jun 14, 2014 Lizzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: halloween
G
Dolly
Oct 18, 2015 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story about a brave little girl on an adventure to explore a spooky mansion. The narrative is sparse, but entertaining and the illustrations are great. It's a suspenseful story with a surprise ending and we enjoyed reading it together.

October 2015 update: we read this one again and I have to admit that I did not remember it at all. Still, it was fun read that did not surprise me terribly - perhaps I remembered it a bit after all.
Nicole
Mar 04, 2011 Nicole rated it really liked it
Miles saw another kid's review of this book and had to check it out. Annie wants to visit the neighborhood haunter house, despite her parents' and friends' warnings not too (hmm, not a great example). It is suspenseful and a little creepy, but not overly so. Great for those who like the idea of a scary book more than a really scary book!
Kathy Ellen Davis
Feb 11, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love the illustrations in this book!
And the pacing of the story!
You've got to turn the pages!
And I love the ending...opening up the door out to see a huge spread!
What a great surprise!

Haiku Review:
Annie wasn't scared;
of that big scary mansion.
What will she find there?
Holly
Feb 25, 2013 Holly rated it really liked it
Annie's birthday is on Halloween, so she's not scared of anything! However, when she is dared to go to the haunted house, things start spooking her on the way. Maybe she is scared after all. Cute surprise ending!
Mary
Oct 01, 2009 Mary rated it did not like it
It's a kids book, sure, but the whole concept of Annie leaving the house at night to go visit a haunted mansion (after her parents warned her not to) turned me off.
Stefani
Jan 28, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Annie was warned about the haunted mansion, but she's not afraid. But should she be?

I can't wait to turn out the lights and read this to kids at Halloween! Scary fun!
Kim
Oct 25, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
safe-scare Halloween story with large, expressive illustrations

themes: bravery, Halloween, haunted house, suprise birthday party
Marie
Dec 24, 2011 Marie rated it really liked it
Cute simple Halloween story about a young girl named Annie that was born on Halloween and isn't scared of anything. Good stuff.
David Reamer
Oct 13, 2013 David Reamer rated it really liked it
We did like this a lot, very simple and with a sense of foreboding that works for little ones. The ending is excellent.
The Styling Librarian
Mar 31, 2012 The Styling Librarian rated it really liked it
Great Halloween book. Very cute story of a girl who wasn't scared... even with warnings...
Kathy
Oct 21, 2013 Kathy rated it liked it
This would make a perfect gift for a child with a Halloween birthday!
Colby Sharp
Oct 12, 2011 Colby Sharp rated it really liked it
Shelves: plot, holiday
Great book to use to introduce plotline.
Apr 14, 2013 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: children
cute!
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Ioan Marginean
Ioan Marginean marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Rebecca Duncan-Joseph
Rebecca Duncan-Joseph rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • AlphaOops: H Is for Halloween
  • 10 Hungry Rabbits: Counting & Color Concepts
  • Monster Needs a Costume
  • Levi Strauss Gets a Bright Idea: A Fairly Fabricated Story of a Pair of Pants
  • I'm Not Afraid of This Haunted House
  • The Very Smart Pea and the Princess-to-be
  • Miss Smith Reads Again!
  • 123 versus ABC
  • All about Alfie
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • There Is a Tribe of Kids
studiojjk.com
punkfarm.com
lunchladycomics.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarrett J. Krosoczka used to be a goofy kid that liked to draw. Now, he is a published author/illustrator with many books to his credit. Growing up in Worcester, MA Jarrett drew relentlessly and always had a cast of characters that he wrote stories for. In 9th grade, Jarrett won a contest with The Worcester Telegram & Ga
More about Jarrett J. Krosoczka...