Annie Was Warned

Annie Was Warned

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Annie was warned not to go to the creepy Montgomery mansion . . . and maybe she wouldn’t have if her best friend hadn’t dared her. But Annie isn’t afraid of anything. Not bats, not spiders, and certainly not some haunted house. Or is she?
Published August 26th 2003 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

ratherread
My 3 year old grandson LOVES this story and I have read it to him at least 25 times this weekend. LOL!!
I read it out-loud in a creepy dramatic voice. The first time I read it, my grandson kept covering his eyes, scared to see what Annie was going to encounter next. Hahaha! But after the delightful surprise ending, he has decided this is one of his favorite books.

I'm starting a new GR bookshelf called "Grandma RatherRead Favorites" where I am going to rate children's books by my grandson's react...more
Camille
Annie's birthday is on Halloween. She tests her nerve and courage by going to a creepy, haunted? house, on a dare, on Halloween night. On the book cover, Annie peers around a door. Her eyes are wide. Her face registers apprehension and fear but she IS moving forward, shining her flashlight into the eyes of the reader, dazzling us with the light and her bravery. Krosoczka's artistic technique, composition, color palette evoke the eeriness of the night and solitude of the child in the book's paint...more
Heidi
Good Halloween story. It has some of the scary elements but not overly so. It has things that could feel creepy. And the pictures even go at different views and angles to try to give the story a mysterious, spooky feel. Still, for a much younger audience.

10/26/10 & 10/28/10 This went well in both preschool storytimes. I had a fairly small turn out for both (considering previous weeks). But they liked it, and they loved the ending. It really did surprise some of the children.
babyhippoface
Despite her friends' warnings, Annie is determined to enter the haunted house. What she finds waiting for her there is a surprise, indeed.

This is perfect for kids who think they want scary stories but aren't really ready to handle them.
Sara
Annie Was Warned is a scary and suspenseful book. Annie is dared to go to the haunted mansion by herself on Halloween. At first, she doesn’t seem to be afraid of spiders and bats, but as she begins her journey down to the house, she begins hearing things, seeing things, and feeling things. She is a bit scared, as she gets closer to the haunted house; as she prepares to open the door, her friends are inside and yell “surprise.” In the end, her friend had dared her to go to the haunted house becau...more
Sara Shaw
Childhood book and I read it to my small cousins xD
Nicole
Miles saw another kid's review of this book and had to check it out. Annie wants to visit the neighborhood haunter house, despite her parents' and friends' warnings not too (hmm, not a great example). It is suspenseful and a little creepy, but not overly so. Great for those who like the idea of a scary book more than a really scary book!
Kathy Ellen Davis
Love the illustrations in this book!
And the pacing of the story!
You've got to turn the pages!
And I love the ending...opening up the door out to see a huge spread!
What a great surprise!

Haiku Review:
Annie wasn't scared;
of that big scary mansion.
What will she find there?
Dolly
Oct 16, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story about a brave little girl on an adventure to explore a spooky mansion. The narrative is sparse, but entertaining and the illustrations are great. It's a suspenseful story with a surprise ending and we enjoyed reading it together.
Holly
Annie's birthday is on Halloween, so she's not scared of anything! However, when she is dared to go to the haunted house, things start spooking her on the way. Maybe she is scared after all. Cute surprise ending!
Mary
It's a kids book, sure, but the whole concept of Annie leaving the house at night to go visit a haunted mansion (after her parents warned her not to) turned me off.
Stefani
Annie was warned about the haunted mansion, but she's not afraid. But should she be?

I can't wait to turn out the lights and read this to kids at Halloween! Scary fun!
Kim
safe-scare Halloween story with large, expressive illustrations

themes: bravery, Halloween, haunted house, suprise birthday party
Marie
Cute simple Halloween story about a young girl named Annie that was born on Halloween and isn't scared of anything. Good stuff.
David Reamer
We did like this a lot, very simple and with a sense of foreboding that works for little ones. The ending is excellent.
The Styling Librarian
Great Halloween book. Very cute story of a girl who wasn't scared... even with warnings...
Kathy
This would make a perfect gift for a child with a Halloween birthday!
Colby Sharp
Great book to use to introduce plotline.
Shelley
Shelley marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
studiojjk.com
punkfarm.com
lunchladycomics.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarrett J. Krosoczka used to be a goofy kid that liked to draw. Now, he is a published author/illustrator with many books to his credit. Growing up in Worcester, MA Jarrett drew relentlessly and always had a cast of characters that he wrote stories for. In 9th grade, Jarrett won a contest with The Worcester Telegram & Ga...more
More about Jarrett J. Krosoczka...
Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Lunch Lady, #1) Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2) Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5) Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3) Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (Lunch Lady, #7)