Start by marking “Kathy Little Bird (Mrs. Mike, #3)” as Want to Read:
Kathy Little Bird (Mrs. Mike, #3)

Kathy Little Bird (Mrs. Mike #3)

3.05 of 5 stars 3.05  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  39 reviews
First time in paperback-the saga of Mrs. Mike continues in the story of her granddaughter.

From her Cree mother, Kathy Little Bird has heard stories of her grandmother, Mrs. Mike. She has also learned to sing in the Cree tradition. It is a talent that will serve her well-and soothe her shattered soul-when she becomes a famous country music singer in the 1970s.
Published December 6th 2005 by Berkley Trade (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Kathy Little Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kathy Little Bird

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodAnne of the Island by L.M. MontgomeryAlaska and Back by Dorothy May MercerThe Shipping News by Annie Proulx
Canada
190th out of 268 books — 104 voters
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Shipping News by Annie ProulxThe Blind Assassin by Margaret AtwoodAlias Grace by Margaret AtwoodThe Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies
Oh, Canada!
435th out of 534 books — 208 voters

More lists with this book...

Judie Dooley
I really enjoyed readin this book. I checked other reviews, and they were not so good. I never read the other 2 books in the series, so I wasn't comparing it to anything else. The story was interesting and the characters believable. It did make me want to read the other Mrs Mike Novels.
Kate
I am a lover of the Mrs. Mike series, however this last book was by far NOT the best. When i was finished i was glad that i was finished. I dont know how much more i could take. Still a good book, but i feel like i have to say that since Mrs. Mike is the number one best book out there.
Joyce
My favorite book of all time is MRS. Mike by the same authors. Nancy Freedman just died........age 90 and I had this book in my stack of to reads and decided it was time to read it.
Kathryn
This book sucks. The beginning sucks, the middle sucks, and the ending is just plain HORRIBLE. DON'T read this book.
AnnaMay
This was my favorite of the three Mrs. Mike novels. That's hard to say, because I enjoyed each one, but I found myself much more 'into' this one, vs. just reading and enjoying. I read it in one sitting one evening, so that probably had something to do with my being 'into' it more.

I find it interesting to read of the different lifestyles people lead. So many times I wanted to shake the main character by the shoulders when she would 'go with the flow.' I could see she had the strength to choose di
Michele
I loved the series up until this book. I felt it was depressing. In the other books the characters faced difficult hardships but they seemed believable. Was disappointed how it all ended.
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
The third sequel to Mrs. Mike. It was good. It wasn't as good as The Search for Joyful. It's one of those books that you can't quite put your finger on. Is it good? Is it not good?

It follows the story of Kathy, the granddaughter of Oh Be Joyful who was Mrs. Mike's best friend in the novel, Mrs. Mike. Kathy Little Bird has heard stories of her grandmother, Mrs. Mike from her mother, Kathy Fourquet, who was raised by Mrs. Mike. It is not a happy book. It's a thought-provoking novel that leaves you
Janyse
Sep 27, 2008 Janyse rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Janyse by: janysefrerichs@gmail.com
This was the 3rd book in the series...Kathy #3. It was a quick little read, not necessarily deep. Though I actually liked the book, I can't help wonder why the authors continue to have their characters make the stupidest decisions! Does every teenager have to run off with the first guy they meet only to quickly regret the decision?? This book also showed that the happy ending in the 2nd book didn't last very long. Ultimately kind of sad.
Nancye
I absolutely love the Mrs. Mike books. I have been reading and rereading Mrs. Mike since I was a kid. I am so thrilled that they added two more books in the past decade. I finally sat down to read Kathy Little Bird. In the first 60 pages I had laughed and cried. There were times you wanted to shake some of the main characters. But I loved them all the way through. Is it too greedy to hope there might be a fourth book someday?
Leah
I was walking down the isle at the library and the title sounded like a good book to read before bed to keep my mind from racing. I thought that is all it would be. I never thought that I would become so entranced my this woman's life. I found that I read it in 2 days even with small children. However I do have to do my dishes still. It was easy to read and easy to become emotionally connected with Kathy. I would recommend it.
Ashley
This book was different than I thought, but pretty good nonetheless. I really got into it in the beginning, but it got a little slow a little more than half way through. I was frustrated with Kathy's bad choices she kept making and not totally into her "hippy-Indian-peace/love" music movement. It covered most of her life, which I wasn't expecting but it was good to have the time too see some situations in the book resolved.
Tara
Blah. The first page alone destroys the semi-okay ending of book two, and it goes downhill from there. I'm going to pretend this book doesn't exist. Don't bother opening it, unless you want a tragedy. Really, it's too bad, since I enjoy the author's writing style, loved book one, and can live with book two (enjoy book two with my own ending). Pick up the first book, though, it's definitely worth the read!
Magda
Not Mrs. Mike by a long shot, and not even as good as the sequel, The Search for Joyful, this is the third book in the series, and again features a main character named Kathy ... who in the book names her daughter Kathy. I think that's weird, but maybe that's just me. This book is only loosely related to Mrs. Mike, and most of the book does not have the integrity of the first.
Carina Blon
Great read for people interested in music, Native American/world history, and stories of love and loss.

The beginning is a little slow to get through, but the rest is a page turner with a lot of twists and surprises, you won't want to put it down. This story is told with an honest and poignant perspective with tales of love, loss, family, regret, longing, honesty and selflessness.
Mike
This book still doesn't live up to Mrs. Mike, which is the best of the three. I found Kathy Little Bird an improvement over Search for Joyful. Kathy in this story has more depth, I found her to somewhat self-centered and a user of people, but she was somewhat sympathetic. This story is better than the previous novel in the series, but doesn't live up to Mrs. Mike.
Kathy Stephenson
Didn't enjoy it as much as the first two ... not sure why the main character made such poor choices ALL the time ...
Nancy H
This is an excellent story in the series of novels about Mrs. Mike, which was is of my all-time favorite novels. This one tells the story of Mrs. Mike's granddaughter, Kathy Little Bird, who wants to be a singer, but who makes a lot of poor decisions in her life before she finds the right path.
Heather
Mar 27, 2008 Heather rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mrs. Mike fans
I enjoyed this book. It is not like the original -- it just doesn't measure up. But it was still a good read and I like to read a "series" so it was fun to follow up on the generations after Mrs. Mike.
I own both of the sequels so if you want to borrow them you are welcome to.
Kristen
It's been a LONG time since I read the other two books before this one ... but this one was still entertaining ... I would rate it a 3.5 - good to read if you're looking for something, but don't need to run out and read right away.
Rachel
Still not as good as "Mrs. Mike" but better than "The Search For Joyful". I think the authors waited too many years to write these sequels after "Mrs. Mike".
Mrs Johnnie Tate
Dec 26, 2013 Mrs Johnnie Tate rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody
*SPOILER ALERT* Kathy Little Bird was a sad novel without a happy ending. Be warned.
Amandalynn
i was a bit disappointed with both of these squeals. they weren't nearly as good as mrs mike. this was a good story of self discovery and overcoming trials.
Deanna Slade
This book was about Mrs. Mike's granddaughter. It was disturbing to read about a whole life full of mostly bad choices. How sad to waste great potential.
Becky
I loved Mrs Mike and The Search for Joyful. This book didn't even come close to living up to the first 2. I got to page 65 and that was enough for me.
Stephanie
For me nothing will ever live up to Mrs Mike but this book is not good at all. I would never suggest it to anyone.
Judi
May 30, 2012 Judi marked it as to-read
I have the book but the printer messed up the pages. A big chunk is missing. Still looking for a better copy.
Theresa
I would have given it 4 stars because I really did enjoy it but the end made me mad so 3 stars out of spite :)
Barbara
Third in the series of Mrs. Mike books. My least favorite, but yet I was compelled to find it and read it.
Joyce Findlay
Another thought provoking book on relationships and self discovery. I really did enjoy it.
Maryn
a little disappointed. not as good as the others. just okay.
  • All We Hold Dear (Victorian Trilogy, #2)
  • Hamlet, Macbeth, King Lear: Three Tragedies
  • An Unladylike Offer
  • The Philosophy of Aristotle
  • Rocco
  • Letters from a Slave Girl: The Story of Harriet Jacobs
  • The Emancipator's Wife
  • Seeing Black (Seeing Red, #2)
  • Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse (Sue Barton, #6)
  • The Widow's War
  • The Naked Eye (Kendra Michaels, #3)
  • The Romance of a Christmas Card
  • In the Fold
  • The Other Eden
  • The Other Side
  • Autocrat of the Breakfast Table
  • The Rule of Mirrors (The Vault of Dreamers, #2)
  • Untitled (Wrapped, #2)
Benedict Freedman, the son and grandson of writers, was born in New York City in 1919. While in high school he studied accelerated courses for gifted boys and graduated with a medal for mathematics. At fourteen he entered Columbia University as a premed student, but had to drop out at sixteen because of his father's sudden death. For a time Benedict continued private study of higher mathematics. F ...more
More about Benedict Freedman...

Mrs. Mike (3 books)
  • Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1)
  • The Search for Joyful (Mrs. Mike, #2)
Mrs. Mike (Mrs. Mike, #1) The Search for Joyful (Mrs. Mike, #2) Mrs. Mike / The Search for Joyful (Mrs. Mike, #1-2) Cyclone of Silence Rescuing the Future