Start by marking “What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education Revised” as Want to Read:

What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education Revised (Core Knowledge)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Give your child a smart start with
What Your Second Grader Needs to Know

What will your child be expected to learn in the second grade? How can you help him or her at home? This book answers these all-important questions and more, offering the specific shared knowledge that hundreds of parents and teachers across the nation have agreed upon for American second graders. De
Published July 13th 1999 by Delta (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about What Your Second Grader Needs to Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Second Grader Needs to Know

JP
I used to think we needed a checklist to validate educational progress. Although this did convey the level of understanding, it very quickly turned me off from the Core Knowledge approach to education. The first impression matches what we see in most modern textbooks. The fonts are big, the topics arbitrary, and the treatment simplistic. With text like this for children and their mentoring parents (how many !'s does one need?), it's no wonder our educational establishment is in trouble. Get your ...more
Melissa
As a mom with an education degree, I have found this book is a great way to supplement my child's education. We read it at bedtime and it is set up perfectly for a quick read. The book is separated into different areas of curriculum (math, science, music, geography, etc.). There are also activities you can do with your child. I don't have time during the school year for them but they are great activities to do during the summer when we all need something different to do. By reading it only at be ...more
Waterbird
I had this back in the 1990s when I was young and actually a second grader. Loved it for years and eventually gave it away with the hope that some other second grader would love it as much as I did. It had short stories, general knowledge, information on music and math. It was my go-to reference book, it was BEFORE Google.

I was recently checking the books at my job and I saw it! I cheered inside and opened it aaaaaaand- what? Not the same. Where is the story of Anansi the spider? Oh well, this i
Purl Scout
I've been using this and its 3rd grade counterpart as one of many tools in this, our first year of homeschool. We use them off an on as they've applied in our overall lessons and as a source for our read-aloud time for history and world studies. The Core Knowledge books flow well from one topic to the next and introduce material easily and in a cohesive way. I've been successful making the material a jumping off point for the further explorations on our subjects.
Amy
We've been using this series to help guide our homeschooling path. I don't love everything about it but hey - it works for us and we just add and subtract to personalize things. I was actually pretty impressed with the sections on ancient greece history and mythology in this edition. I am not educated on that subject but I felt they were written well and right on target for my daughter's knowledge and interest level.
Anita
This is a core knowledge sequence book. Core Knowledge is a school of home based curriculum developed by E.D. Hirsch. He had the right idea on how to educate children. I love everything he writes. If any one is looking for additional curriculum for what your kids don't learn when you send them to school this is a great resource.
Kristy Powers
It's hard to figure out how to rate the books in this series. I do like them, I like their explanations, I like what they include for the most part, but I'm not about to read aloud from them and call that our education. They can come in handy.
Melanie Olson
I LOVE this series of books! I use them for our summer "school" sessions at home. They are great preparation for the school year ahead. I recommend them whenever I can, and I'm willing to loan them. :)
Timber
As a homeschool teacher, I love the Core Knowledge series. I especially like the history and literature sections of this book, and I love how the series builds on itself as the grades progress.
James
Good all round guide - we're using this series as a way to help us keep out homeschool lessons targeted to the right level.
Libby
My children loved the collection of literature. This made for fun read-aloud time.
Melinda
Basic guide to information and topics to explore with second grade learners.
Cacey Hopper
Great school resource, highly recommend for anyone homeschooling!
Diana
I will be adding these books to my collection!
Mary
I use as a reference book.
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Nov 20, 2014
Preetika Thind
Preetika Thind marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Cindy Thyer
Cindy Thyer is currently reading it
Oct 11, 2014
Star Wilmot
Star Wilmot marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
April
April added it
Oct 08, 2014
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade
  • The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know
  • Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
  • What to Read When: The Books and Stories to Read with Your Child--and All the Best Times to Read Them
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • The Homeschooling Handbook
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education
  • Financial Peace Jr.: Teaching Kids About Money! : "Cool Tools" for Training Tomorrow's Millionaires!
  • How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live with
  • Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School
  • The Underground History of American Education: An Intimate Investigation Into the Prison of Modern Schooling
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • 20,000 Years of Fashion: The History of Costume and Personal Adornment
  • The Spiritual Lives of the Great Composers
  • In Their Own Way: Discovering and Encouraging Your Child's Multiple Intelligences
Eric Donald Hirsch, Jr. (born March 22, 1928) is an American educator and academic literary critic. Now retired, he was until recently the University Professor of Education and Humanities and the Linden Kent Memorial Professor Emeritus of English at the University of Virginia. He is best known for his writings about cultural literacy.
More about E.D. Hirsch Jr....
Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning What Your First Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good First-Grade Education The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Read-Alouds to Get Ready for Kindergarten (Core Knowledge)