Start by marking “Turnaround: Crisis, Leadership, and the Olympic Games” as Want to Read:
Turnaround: Crisis, Leadership, and the Olympic Games

Turnaround: Crisis, Leadership, and the Olympic Games

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews

The head of the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics organizing committee describes how he assumed the leadership of the troubled organization and turned it around to present one of the most successful Olympic Games ever.
Published June 1st 2007 by Regnery Publishing (first published June 15th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Turnaround, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turnaround

Page
Apr 19, 2011 Page rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect book on business and politics. If you need find out who Mitt Romney is read this book. I'm not saying he'll be a great president, but he is a great manager and leader.
Tyler
I decided to read this book and No Apology in order to gain a better understanding of Mitt Romney the man and the leader so that I can make an informed decision when voting for the 2012 primaries (and probably general election). I was very surprised to learn so much detail about the leadership and preparation of SLOC for the 2002 Games, it paints a very interesting picture that both contrasts and wonderfully complements what I remember as a nine-year-old kid when my parents and aunts volunteered ...more
Fred D
Jan 09, 2012 Fred D rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
A very good book. I was expecting it to be more of a straightforward chronology of his involvement with the games, but not really. The book was rather broken up by subject, and he focused more on how he applied leadership & management skills to solve the problems he encountered.

Nevertheless, I am very impressed with Mitt: his integrity, his work ethic, his problem-solving skills, his management skills. He did an amazing job turning the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics around. He was the perfect perso
Zach
Feb 08, 2013 Zach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to know how Governor Mitt Romney's mind works, especially in a business setting, then this is the book to read. "Turnaround" puts you into the head of Mr. Romney from the time he walks off his high-earning position of CEO of Bain Capital to when he ran the Salt Lake Organizing Committee (SLOC) for no salary. His management of the SLOC was complicated by the fact that he took over after a scandal involving the previous SLOC management and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) that ...more
Joe Meservy
Jul 09, 2014 Joe Meservy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent play by play explanation of running the olympics and organizing its leadership amidst the initial tumultuous circumstances. Romney is appreciative of his staff and major players, he politely marvels at the levels of volunteer aid and American spirit displayed in its operation, and he paints a very united world view of the olympics. Fantastic read--especially on leadership.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It reflected the patriotic spirit of the nation after 9/11 and the grandeur of the
Holly
Jul 30, 2012 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Even though on the surface it can seem dry, with lots of numbers and statistics and names thrown around, I found myself anxious to come back to it every time I put it down. I found myself getting excited whenever his team was able to cut something unnecessary out of the budget!
It was very enlightening as far as the financials of the games, especially in terms of Olympic sponsorships.
Romney mentions at the outset, the the first drafts of the book came
Noah
Aug 04, 2009 Noah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was lying around the office and since we had just moved and didn't have much of a book collection to speak of I picked it and gave it a read. It gives an account of the administrative efforts behind the Salt Lake 2002 Winter Olympics. I loved following the story because I was living in Utah during the time of the story and I worked for NBC during the games. Without a connection you could easily get bored with the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the Olympics and Mi ...more
Aug 08, 2012 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one for a work project focused on Salt Lake City. It was helpful and informative for the project - but not exactly scintillating prose. The version I read needed better proofing - it was full of typos. It was an interesting book to be reading while Romney was in London commenting on the current Olympics. The 3 stars is because it was helpful - but unless I were fascinated with what went in to pulling out the Salt Lake city Olympics after the bidding scandal, I wounldn't put it at the ...more
Melanie
I originally thought this would have more anecdotes and experiences from the Olympics. I was surprised that it turned out to be more of a business management case study and found it very applicable to public relations case studies approach I learned as an undergrad. I enjoyed reading this just to see how Romney managed various challenges and put into place strategic planning. A great read for anyone wanting an in-depth look at an actual case study for strategic planning. LDS author, LDS subject
Merinda
Jul 25, 2008 Merinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Republicans and Independants
I found this to be a page turner. As a Salt Lake Olympic volunteer, I was fascinated by the insights into all the politics and management headaches of cleaning up after a scandal and putting on an event with the magnitude and expense of the Olympics. I was a fan of Mitt Romney, and this only bolstered that opinion. As far as the technical aspects of the book; well, perhaps the editors could have spent a little more time pre-press on making sure it was clean.
Nevertheless a good book.
Debby
Apr 28, 2012 Debby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this as part of a challenge from my boss to read a book on leadership. Having lived in Utah during the SL Olympics and experiencing the frustration of the scandal to the triumph of the games, it was fascinating to read how Mitt Romney was able to turn the games around. Even more relevant now with his bid for the presidency to get a glimpse of what he'd do as president.
Gil
Aug 19, 2007 Gil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Election 2008 Watchers
Wow, I gained a huge respect for Mitt Romney while reading this book. I became tired of his description of his 'team' and stuff, but even that was impressive. He was able to articulate why he was grateful for the people he worked with--which isn't always done by people at the top.

Definitely better than "Square Peg Round Hole" by Orrin Hatch.

Rae
Aug 29, 2008 Rae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio-memoir
Mitt Romney took over the scandal-ridden 2002 Salt Lake Olympic Committee and eventually pulled off a successful Olympic Games. In this "memoir" he tells how he did it and shares a lot of management tips on how to run a high-profile organization. The best thing about this book is that it introduced me to Barenaked Ladies!
Hyrum
Dec 04, 2008 Hyrum rated it it was amazing
Interesting look into the events surrounding the SLC Olympics. Had some cool stories. Provides some inclination as to how smart Romney is and really how effective a leader he is. This book is almost exclusively just about the Olympics and is more like an itinerary of events. A little dry but still a good book.
Brandon
Aug 11, 2008 Brandon rated it it was amazing
I must admit, I became a HUGE Mitt fan after reading this book. The guy is a great leader and example. He gives a detailed account of his experience taking the helm of the 2002 Winter Olympics. He doesn't hold back, and I love it. He should be the republican nominee for President, but I won't go there...
James
Jul 18, 2010 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if this book would seem like old news knowing the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics happened 8 years ago. However, I had a vested interest since I was a volunteer during the games. It was a worthwhile read and I recommend it to anyone who has ties to these games in any way.
Erin L.
Dec 26, 2007 Erin L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
This was a really interesting book. I didn't realize all that goes into the Olympics. It was interesting reading it from the perspective of knowing Mitt Romney is running for president. It highlights the leadership skills and turn-around skills he could bring to the presidency.
Susan
Jan 01, 2011 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book about the Salt Lake Winter Olympics in 2002. It was a very interesting insider's view of the politics and intricacies of holding this world event. There was a lot of self promoting and it came out prior to Romney's presidential candidacy announcement.
Liza Starr
Nov 26, 2007 Liza Starr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Having attended the Opening Ceremony as well as a number of other 2002 Olympic events, it was interesting to see what it took to pull off this incredible Olympics. After reading this, I felt that Mitt Romney definitely has the goods to be president.
Chad
Sep 10, 2008 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My introduction to Mitt Romney -- I came away very impressed with his leadership skills in a challenging situation. Interesting behind-the-scenes look at what it took to organize the Salt Lake Winter Olympics in 2002.
Joanne
Mar 14, 2008 Joanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
An illustration of what can be done with great leadership, work ethic, and a desire to overcome seemingly impossible odds. I highly recommend this!!!
Robert
Great book. I really enjoyed the chapter about not wasting time trying to change people but on focusing on their strengths.
Becky Mitchell
I enjoyed reading this book. As a volunteer for the Salt Lake Olympics it was interesting to see how it all played out.
Brad
Jun 14, 2007 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: politicos
Shelves: recentreads
I thought this was an excellent book on general leadership principles. It was a great tell of Olympic stories.
Drew Johnson
Oct 01, 2009 Drew Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read bc it was Mitt. Saw him at Ali's birthday before boy's weekend when i was half way through.
James Tyler
Feb 23, 2010 James Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book demonstrates Romney's phenomenal leadership abilities. Definite recommend!
Debbie
Aug 01, 2009 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Packing a lunch saved them thousands (or maybe even millions) of dollars.
Lowell
Mar 05, 2012 Lowell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid. This man is a beast of operational and managerial efficacy.
Hom Sack
Aug 05, 2012 Hom Sack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful account of his leadership abilities. Highly recommended.
Gwenda
Jun 11, 2008 Gwenda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"If not me, who? If not now, when?"
  • A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
  • Screwed!
  • Alexander the Great
  • Falling in Love with Joseph Smith: Finding God in the Unlikeliest of Places
  • Fool Me Twice: Obama's Shocking Plans for the Next Four Years Exposed
  • A Mormon in the White House?: 10 Things Every Conservative Should Know About Mitt Romney
  • The Complete Book of Edible Landscaping: Home Landscaping with Food-Bearing Plants and Resource-Saving Techniques
  • Do As I Say (Not As I Do): Profiles in Liberal Hypocrisy
  • A Godly Hero: The Life of William Jennings Bryan
  • All The Best, George Bush: My Life and Other Writings
  • New First Three Years of Life: Completely Revised and Updated
  • Faith of My Fathers: A Family Memoir
  • Obama: The Greatest President in the History of Everything
Mitt Romney is an American businessman and Republican party politician, who served as the 70th Governor of Massachusetts from 2003-2007. He is also the son of George W Romney (former Governor of Michigan) and Lenore Romney.

Romney earned an undergraduate degree at Stanford University and BYU where he was Valedictorian. He then earned a joint MBA/J.D. from Harvard Business School and Harvard Law Sch
More about Mitt Romney...