Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Mother” as Want to Read:
The Mother
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Mother

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,911 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Within this novel Ms. Buck paints the portrait of a poor woman living in a remote village whose joys are few and hardships are many. As the ancient traditions, which she bases her philosophies upon, begin to collide with the new ideals of the communist era, this peasant woman must find a balance between them and deal with the consequences.
192 pages
Published 1991 by Mandarin (first published 1933)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Mother, please sign up.

Popular Answered Questions

Martinilla91 It was first published in 1934. There's a small biography in one of Buck's novels I've got.
This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 3,000)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Ahmad Sharabiani
داستان زندگی خانواده ای روستایی در چین
The Mother, Pearl S. Buck
عنوان: مادر؛ نویسنده: پرل باک؛ مترجم: محمد قاصی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، امیرکبیر، کتابهای جیبی، 1363، در 341 ص؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان - قرن 20 م
♪ Kim
If I wasn’t already familiar with Pearl Buck’s writings, I might not have enjoyed this book as much I did. Compared to some of my favorites - The Good Earth, The Living Reed, Pavilion of Women - this one is less focused and less cohesive, and I would not advise someone new to this author to start here. The overall story is very simple. (view spoiler) ...more
Noce
Sep 12, 2012 Noce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La prossima volta vi mando mia mamma

Troppi libri in casa mia.

Lo dice mia mamma che è stufa di vedersene attorno così tanti, lo dice mio padre che quando cerca un libro non sa da dove iniziare a guardare per trovarlo, lo dico io che vado a sbattere contro le pile che partono da terra in camera mia.

In effetti, è anche comprensibile: sommando gli 82 anni di un vorace lettore, per di più appassionato di storia, agli 84 di una vorace lettrice, per di più insegnante per quasi cinquant’anni, e aggiunge
...more
Ensiform
May 27, 2015 Ensiform rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, china
This novel concerns a peasant woman, a mother of three, whose husband is a gambler and libertine. One day, after a quarrel, he leaves her. To avoid shame, she pretends he is at work in a city, and as the years go by, pretends he is dead. It's a depressing tale in many ways, because the woman's brief affair brings her, in her mind and in reality, much trouble. However, it ends on a note of hope, as the family cycle is continued and the Chinese peasant's conception of fulfillment is granted.

Buck w
...more
arcobaleno
Feb 02, 2013 arcobaleno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amara, tristissima attesa!
Mi sono imbattuta quasi per caso in questo romanzo, ma ho potuto gustare una buona lettura. Il racconto procede con un ritmo pacato e una scrittura scarna; senza giri di parole né ampollosità; assolutamente privo di retorica; con una semplicità che tuttavia continua ad alimentare l’interesse, adattandosi perfettamente alla onesta essenzialità delle esistenze. Una storia di miserie familiari, di persone prive perfino di un nome e di una tomba sulla quale piangere, in u
...more
Nata
Jul 16, 2016 Nata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un limbaj simplu, dar profund, o viață tipică de la țară, în unul din sătucurile din China . O mamă dătătoare de viață care-și acceptă condiția și menirea. O mamă care poate ține loc și de tată, poate face toată muncă pe lângă casă, poate să îndure tristeți și păcate. O mamă care înafară de a-și lucra pământul, a-și îngriji copiii, și a spera de la o zi la alta că-i revine soțul de mult timp plecat, nu știe să se concentreze pe altceva, decât pe toată orânduirea vieții de la țară.

O carte tristă
...more
Dina
Mar 02, 2016 Dina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On what is a mother ready to do, a great story of ancient times. I recommend this book, you can compare then and now.
Selma
Apr 07, 2016 Selma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baš u stilu Pearl Buck. Život se vrti u krug, danas djevojčica i kćerka, sutra odrasla žena, majka i supruga, zatim starica i baka, i ono što nam danas izgleda daleko, ustvari je jako blizu.
George
May 23, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ipad, pearl-buck
MASTERFULLY TOLD TALES OF WOE.

”I swear if they measured up the joy and sorrow I have had in my whole life the sorrow would sink the scales like stone …”

Nobody writes sadness and sorrow, misery and grief, hardship and despair as compellingly as Pearl S. Buck. In her novel, The Mother mental smiles are rare to non-existent, while anguish is rife. Leaves one wondering who ever came up with a phrase like ’the joys of motherhood’. I know who it wasn’t.

Recommendation: Not for the depressed, nor for st
...more
George Berguño
Aug 24, 2015 George Berguño rated it it was amazing
I have been posting reviews on Goodreads for three years, and I have concentrated mainly on writing about lesser known short story collections. Thus far I have steered clear of novels, but I’m going to make an exception with Pearl S Buck’s The Mother because it is a thoroughly captivating book which has convinced me I need to read everything that this author has ever written.

I should tell you first that earlier this summer (2015) I read The Good Earth, widely considered to be Pearl S Buck’s mas
...more
Edith
May 10, 2011 Edith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WHAT A STORY. This book came out after “The Good Earth” and follows the life of a passionate Chinese peasant mother. Early in the story, her husband leaves her with no explanation and she is left to care and provide for the family. She also has pride and desires to uphold her dignity in the hamlet where she lives, so she makes decisions that seem best to her, but they greatly complicate her life.

Pearl Buck wrote this novel soon after “The Good Earth” but she did not think it was good. She consi
...more
Ayman Zaaqoq
Aug 04, 2010 Ayman Zaaqoq rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
إذا اجتمعت قصة ممتازة مع ترجمة ممتازة بين دفتي كتاب واحد فالقارئ بلا شك سيحلق فوق السحاب. لم أقرأ منذ زمن رواية تخطف الأنفاس و مترجمة ترجمة أدبية رفيعة كهذه الرواية. و منذ قرأت "الأرض الطيبة" منذ حوالي عشرين علما و أنا منبهر بأسلوب "بيرل بك" الرشيق و الدقيق، وهذا العمل يؤكد أن "الأرض الطيبة" لم تكن ضربة حظ أو رمية بغير رامٍ.
تصور هذه الرواية حياة فلاحة صينية، بل حياة فلاحة شرقية، وهذا لأنك ستفاجأ – مثلما ستفعل حال قراءتك "الأرض الطيبة" – بتشابه العادات بل و الشقاء و التفاني بين الفلاح المصري و ال
...more
Huy
Jul 25, 2016 Huy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nobel
Cảm động, dù Pearl Buck không hề có ý định đề cao tình mẫu tử. Chỉ là một câu chuyện về một kiếp người, trong một xã hội mà người phụ nữ chịu quá nhiều thiệt thòi. Pearl Buck đặc biệt hiểu văn hóa Trung Hoa, thậm chí hiểu cả cái cách người ta dèm pha, cái cách những người dân quê hay buôn chuyện, cái cách người ta sợ tiếng xấu hơn là tự đi tìm hạnh phúc, điều này cũng không khác Việt Nam là mấy.
Connie (Ava Catherine)
This is the story of a Chinese peasant mother living in a remote hamlet in pre- revolutionary communist China. The mother lives in poverty and desperation believing that the sorrows of her life are the result of her sins. Her husband leaves her to raise the three children, tend the farm, and care for his old mother. The mother is deeply shamed by her husband's desertion, so she lies about it. This is a very depressing narrative; however, it gives the reader a glimpse into the customs of Chinese ...more
Shanna
May 06, 2012 Shanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book it an amazing look at a peasants life when the japense attacke. Bucks writing is so good that she actually calls the character The Mother never giving her a name. It really showed how insignificant her life was seen by the other characters. It was also a book that showed how extrodiary and dignified she really was during her life. You feel a saddness because it would be such a hard life without recognition or romantic love.
Laura
Feb 05, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mă rog. Sînt foarte indignată. Din cauza acțiunii cărții, nu din cauza scriiturii. Cît era ea de țărancă, să nu existe o diferentță între iubire și patimă? Să-l fi iubit pe bărbatu-său chiar după ce lua banii de la gura copiilor lor? Cred, totuși, că acolo lipseau niște nuanțe.

Dar nu pot ști sigur, că n-am fost fost niciodată în situația cu pricina.
Cristina Ermac
Mar 10, 2016 Cristina Ermac rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O nuvela care m-a impersionat pana in adancul inimii. Este povestea unei mame care traieste intr-un mod saracacios, intr-o regiune rurala din China, si care are de indurat o multitudine de greutati . Ea isi dedica practic toata viata copiilor sai, intelegand ca asta e rolul si scopul de baza a vietii sale. Doar ca in timp ce anii trec, tot mai multe greutati cad pe umerii sai, atat din punct de vedere fizic, cat si moral. Autorul nu se incumeta sa dezvaluie numele acestuia, astfel incat pe parcu ...more
Jasmine
Jan 19, 2014 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this author. Always captivating characters and interesting plot. The style of language isn't for everyone, I find myself reading slower than other books I've read, but it's part of the reason why I enjoyed it. More of her novels in my list to read.
Arely
Jan 30, 2016 Arely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me parece lamentable que es casi imposible encontrar libros en Español de esta autora considerando que es un Premio Nobel de Literatura. En la librería de México solamente pude encontrar dos libros y en España me sucedió lo mismo.

Afortunadamente en una biblioteca municipal de Madrid encontré este libro y tuve la oportunidad de leerlo en vacaciones de diciembre.

Pear S. Buck retrata la vida China de forma inigualable, a diferencia con Viento del Este, Viento del Oeste, en este libro habla sobre
...more
بسام عبد العزيز
لم اجد أي شيء مميز بخصوص هذه الرواية.. الأحداث تبدو لي غاية في الواقعية للدرجة التي تسقط بها في مستنقع "التسطح و التبسيط الشديد" كثيرا..

الرواية تتحدث عن حياة زوجة و كيف تربي أولادها في احدى قرى الصين..و لكن مع ذلك تبدو الأحداث "عالمية" بالشكل الذي يجعلها تنطبق على أي أسرة ريفية في أي مكان في العالم.. و اعتقد ان هذا هو السبب الذي جعل الكاتبة لم توضح اسماء أية شخصية من شخصياتها تقريبا..
التسطيح المخل يأتي من فكرة الأحداث الأساسية... شاب يتزوج فتاة.. يكونان أسرة .. يعملان في الحقل.. ينجبان.. يكبر أط
...more
Rebecca Bryan
Mar 12, 2013 Rebecca Bryan rated it liked it
Shelves: lit-and-lattes
I did not pick this book out myself. I actually received it as part of a temporary book swap that a book club of mine was doing. I was warned by the loaner that this is a sad book, and she was not wrong, though I did end up liking it despite that fact. The author's writing style is unusual, yet lyrical in a way and somewhat formal. I thought I would have trouble comprehending it, but it turned out to be fairly easy. It struck me as odd that the author did not give the characters names, and I tho ...more
Robert Beveridge
Pearl S. Buck, The Mother (Pocket, 1934)

It is hard to know what to make of this early novel (her fourth) by Pearl S. Buck, who had won the Pulitzer Prize the year before for The Good Earth (her second) and would, in a few years, be a Nobel laureate. Hard because it is difficult to reconcile such a widely-acclaimed author with a novel such as this.

In her autobiography, Buck mentions that she almost destroyed the manuscript of The Mother, fearing it wasn't as good as her previously published novel
...more
Notis58
Mar 19, 2014 Notis58 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Μιά από τις πιό όμορφες και συνάμα τραγικές ιστορίες στη παγκόσμια λογοτεχνία. Η αιώνια μάνα όπου γής! Ο σκληρός αγώνας μιας Κινέζας αγρότισσας να μεγαλώσει τα παιδιά της και να φροντίσει το σπίτι, που κινδυνεύει με κατάρρευση, αφού ο σύζυγος και πατέρας τους εγκατέλειψε κυνηγώντας την μεγάλη ζωή. Η Μπάκ μας περιγράφει ταυτοχρόνως, τον τρόπο ζωής στην Κίνα στις αρχές του 20ου Αιώνα, καθώς και τα ήθη ενός μεγάλου λαού.
Sophie
Apr 20, 2015 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce roman me désappointe, malheureusement je m'attendais à un personnage féminin plus fort, moins dans les lamentations.
Certes ses conditions de vie, le futur qu'elle tenta d'offrir à ses enfants sont très louables et remarquable, mais le personnage perd ce profil de battante au fil des pages et je trouve cela fort dommage.
Yiota Misiou
Mar 21, 2014 Yiota Misiou rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Η Μάνα της Περλ Μπακ με άγγιξε βαθιά. Η ανώνυμη ηρωίδα της είναι η κάθε Μάνα, η κάθε γυναίκα που αγωνίζεται να επιβιώσει και να σταθεί στα πόδια της παλεύοντας με την ίδια τη ζωή και με όσα αυτή της επιφυλάσσει.Είναι η ανέμελη κοπέλα, η νεαρή πιστή σύζυγος, η υποδειγματική νύφη,η προδομένη εξαπατημένη γυναίκα αλλά πάνω από όλα είναι η Μάνα που ζει και αναπνέει για τα παιδιά της.


Nikos79
I had once been recommended "The Mother" as a great book that everyone should read. Pearl Buck's language seemed quite simple in my eyes without this be a good or either a bad comment. Of course it was written in a different era but still in my opinion writing wasn't something phenomenal. As for the plot like I supposed before I started, it's a tragic story of a family living in a Chinese province and the main character is of course the mother. Personally I was expecting something more powerful ...more
Geku
Dec 25, 2011 Geku rated it really liked it
Somebody left this book (a 1939 edition, translated into Estonian) in my mailbox a little while ago. The story was beautiful and entertaining (in the beginning) and quite educational. There were quite a few lines in it that begged me to read them over and over, especially in the first half of the book. It also made me cry a few times because certain parts in it hit home a little too hard. I think what I liked the most were the author's (oddly sweet and heartwarming) descriptions of the anger and ...more
Terri Durling
Apr 15, 2014 Terri Durling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very different kind of book - direct, simple but very effective. Pearl S. Buck was American but grew up speaking Chinese and English and lived a good many years in China. This book is powerful in telling the story of a Chinese peasant woman and her life from her early marriage to the birth of her first grandchild. The characters do not have names - they are simply "the mother", "the old woman", "the younger son", "the maid", etc. I thought this would keep the characters distant and hard to kno ...more
Irina Subredu
Feb 17, 2016 Irina Subredu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
aproape 5 :)
Ms. Jared
Mar 31, 2014 Ms. Jared rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just really like Buck's writing. She captures the inner dialogue and emotions of people so well and writes such realistic characters. This one reminded me of a fable sort of. The writing style anyway. I liked it, but I kept feeling like I'd reach some "and the moral to the story is" point, which is never did.

This was a sad one about a poor peasant farmer woman who suffers one sorrow after another after another. Abandonment, death, hunger, humiliation, poverty, misery, some mild happiness, trag
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 99 100 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
مادر............... 1 10 Feb 15, 2008 09:48AM  
  • Red Poppies: A Novel of Tibet
  • Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth
  • المملوك الشارد
  • الموشحات الأندلسية
  • قمر على المستنقع
  • أرزاق الجزء الرابع
  • جميل بثينة
  • شباب امرأة
  • هاتف المغيب
  • The Dragon's Village: An Autobiographical Novel of Revolutionary China
  • إنهم يكذبون
  • Spring Moon: A Novel of China
  • ثلاث برتقالات مملوكية
  • Là où les tigres sont chez eux
  • علم اسمه السعادة
  • The Three-Inch Golden Lotus: A Novel on Foot Binding
  • حياتك الباقية
  • فوبيا العلم
704
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more
More about Pearl S. Buck...

Share This Book



No trivia or quizzes yet. Add some now »

“However impatient she might be in the day, however filled with little sudden angers, at night she was all tenderness.” 10 likes
“and looked sharply across the street. There was only one house” 1 likes
More quotes…