Start by marking “Melt (Rough Romance #1)” as Want to Read:
Melt (Rough Romance #1)

Melt (Rough Romance #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  123 reviews
Based on true events, MELT is both a chilling tale of abuse, and a timeless romance. MELT will hit you like a punch in the face, and also seep through the cracks in your soul.

MELT is a brutal love story set against the metaphorical backdrop of The Wizard of Oz (not a retelling). When sixteen year old Dorothy moves to the small town of Highland Park, she meets, and falls fo
Published November 6th 2014 by Last Syllable Books (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Melt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melt

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

This one made me feel some . . . things when I first started. Mainly:

At some point can’t an author just write something like “I met Joey two weeks after I moved from NYC. I never would have guessed he would become such an important part of my life” and then get on with the story? Instalove that is so instant they fall in love before even saying hello makes me want to . . .

Not to mention why the f*&^ was this Wizard of Oz backdro
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Happy release day, Melt!!!

-------

4.5!!

YOU CAN ALSO READ MY REVIEW ON MY BLOG.

GUYSSSSS. ASSDFFGKDIEUEUEUSJKL

description

I’ve waited 2-3 days before I wrote my review of Melt and honestly, until now, I still can’t form coherent words about it. So please bear with me, I will try to express how I loved this masterpiece as understandable as I can.

We were first introduced by Joey, a teen that has a bad reputation and a bad situation at home. Then there’s Dorothy, sweet, sweet Dorothy who is new in town. When the
Sophia Sardothien
Thank you net galley for sending me this arc in exchange of an honest review

DNF: 29%

Melt is divided in to two perspective, a guy name Joey and a girl name Dorothy however this is not a retelling of the wizard of oz, just a backdrop love story between them. The chapters that are set in Joey perspective are verses and Dorothy's are in normal writing style.

I find it hard to adjust to the writing style. I'm not saying that the writing style is bad or anything. It's actually pretty good and dece
Jen (A Book and a Latte)
Powerful. Gritty. Honest. Gripping.

I finished this book at 2AM. Just WOW. That's all I could say, it's so so good! If you're a fan of Ellen Hopkins, MELT is a must-read. I do feel I should warn that this book deals with violent abuse, alcoholism, drugs (mild), and sex.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
* I was provided with a copy via Netgalley for review.

I tried, I really did. I wanted to read the whole thing, but it seemed silly to do so, since I knew it wasn't going to be a positive outcome for me (I confirmed this by skimming the remainder of the book, but I still don't feel qualified to issue a rating). I will try to explain a bit about why it didn't work for me.

The insta love was just too much. I am pretty tolerant of romantic stuff in general, and some insta love I can deal with, but it
вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
description...

Different. Intense. Perfect.

This story was all of these, and so much more.

Selene had me caring, actually caring for these characters in a similar way as I did whilst reading Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma .... and that's saying something as I never thought I'd ever beable to find anything even remotely like I felt whilst reading 'Forbidden', but I found it in this book.

The feelings Selene made me feel whilst readng this were indescribable. I can't really process them yet. I'd love to read more of this verse, not that
Jazmen This Girl Reads A lot
Wow. Just wow. This book.

Told in dual POV's, Melt is nothing like I expected it to be, and yet I can't believe how much I loved it. First off, let's talk about the writing. I loved the way the author wrote this novel. It had a poetic tone that flowed so well. The way the sentences were structured made the novel enjoyable to read. As well as the way she repeated certain phrases and words one after the other--it gave those words, and thoughts impact--it made me feel them all the more.

Now onto the
Khulood

Oh Selene, what have you done to me?

This book left me numb, I've finished reading it over an hour ago and I can't get myself to process the feelings I have. I'm glad I gave this book a chance after being thrown off a little by Joey's verse-style POV, but in all honesty, for Joey's character, it works!

The main characters are Joey, and Dorothy. I wasn't able to relate to or connect with Dorothy at all, but Joey, oh poor Joey! I wanted to find him and tell him that nothing is permanent, maybe ado
Abbie
(I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

MELT was an okay read, but it dragged at times.

Dorothy and Joey were both okay characters, but i didn't love them. I did feel sorry for Joey and his mum though, as the situation they were in was horrible.

Joey's chapters were quite confusing at first, as they were written in verse, and his thought's were all over the place. After a few chapters though, i got used to it, and i understood why it was written tha
Abbie
Melt is a retelling of the Wizard of oz but it is far from yellow brick roads and happily ever afters. This is a story of true love caught between a maelstrom of pain and forbidden passion.

Dorothy is the new girl in town. She meets bad boy Joey who has a painful secret. The two of them are fervently in love but circumstances threaten to tear them apart.

Joey comes from an abused family. He drinks, he gets into fights, he's been in jail. He fears that Dorothy will be caught between his father's fu
Jessica Jett
Melt was a brilliant masterpiece that I couldn't stop reading. It gripped me from the very beginning and I had made the mistake of starting it late at night and so I had to force myself to close my Kindle and place it far away, out of arm's length, to resist the temptation to finish it in one sitting.

Melt is told from the drastically different POV's of Dorothy and Joey. Joey’s perspective gripped me immediately, it was written with a poetic flow - with vivid descriptions and beautiful prose. It
Darnia
Got the copy through NetGalley for an honest review

No..no..no..noooo..the ending shouldn't like that! I just feel that it seemed like a movie ending, but a novel shouldn't ended like that. At least, gave an epilogue because I really..really wanna know what would happened to some characters after that. This story has slow and fast paces in some parts. But I hate when it must end in the FAST ones.

Melt is an insta-love story between Joey, a guy who got domestic abused and Dorothy, a good girl. The
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Last Syllable Books and NetGalley.)

This was an interesting YA contemporary romance novel, with dealt with some difficult topics. I did find it difficult to relate this to ‘The Wizard of Oz’ though.

I liked both Dorothy and Joey, although they were both pretty different. Dorothy came from quite a privileged family it seemed, while Joey had a father who abused both Joey and his mother on a daily basis. I l
Melek G.
I honestly don't get why anyone would give this book more than 2/5. The whole thing is full of drama and nothing else. It has insta-love between a broken boy who suffers from domestic abuse and a girl with disinterested parents (these are practically what we know about the characters themselves, by the way), starting from the first chapter they see each other. Normally I'm attracted to broken boys, but when it comes to Joey, I could see nothing to be attracted, because other than being broken, J ...more
Patty  (BookishWanderlove)
 photo c84e18c8-8677-4526-89d4-fbd17c81445a_zpscae30e67.jpg

photo 8421230_zps8e07387e.gif

Have you ever read something dark? So dark that it leaves you feeling numb. You sit there after, your brain still trying toprocess everything you just read. That was me once I finished reading Melt . I've never read anything by Ellen Hopkins, and I've never read anything dark. If there's a book that I've read that's classified as dark, it shouldn't be. Selena Castrovilla's Melt is the true definition of a book that is both dark and deep.
All those years building and all it took was for a puddle t
Miguel
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.Like literally.

Melt is no retelling of The Wizard of Oz if you're ever wondering about a reappearance of the famous ruby slippers. It's real life we're talking about here this time. Selene Castrovilla sure knows how to paint a vivid and revelatory image of the cruelties of Real Life Land.

Whatever expectation I had, whatever doubt I had going into this book was immediately shattered after three chapters or so. The first thing that caught my attenti
Ruth
Full review: http://bookjunkiereview.blogspot.com/2014/06/review-melt-by-selene-castrovilla.html

Dorothy is a new comer to Highland Park, where all the cool kids congregate Muchkinland (a.k.a. Dunkin Donuts). There, she meets Joey, the resident ‘bad boy’ who everyone fears and stays away from. But Dorothy is not deterred by his bad rep, for she sees a wounded person, from the pain of abuse and battling his own demons. Both have an instant connection and their love is not just tested by peer press
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
2.5/5 Stars

I can't say that I loved it, but it definitely held my attention. This is a story about love and family abuse. All of which are truly heart wrenching. There are odd snippets from The Wizard of Oz inserted into the book but I have no idea why they are there or how it relates to the plot. The writing style reminds me of Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me, with the repeating phrases and poetic writing during Joey's POV. It's pretty short so it was easy to get over the things that bothered me abou
Melissa
Oct 16, 2014 Melissa marked it as dnf
Shelves: arcs
Ok. I'm sorry. DNF at 17%.

I feel incredibly guilty at not finishing this book, especially as it was a free copy from Netgalley and I know I'm meant to read and review it. But I just can't. I'm reading it and it's just boring me. I can't get into the verse style, I don't like Joey or his way thinking. I have more important things on my TBR that I just need to get into, so I feel like this isn't something I want to carry on reading. I rarely get much time to read anymore as it is so I don't want t
Carrie Ardoin
I tried, but HOOOOLY INSTALOVE BATMAN! They literally meet and are making googly eyes and holding hands like 5 minutes later. I could not stomach it. Not to mention, this book basically has NOTHING to do with The Wizard of Oz, except for the fact that the main character's name is Dorothy. This is a not a retelling, and I am sad for that fact.
Cath
Mar 04, 2015 Cath rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No-one.
Rachel Lightwood

Before I start let me admit that I may or may not have enjoyed this more if I went in expecting a contemporary romance in verse. I was not expecting that at all. Why wasn't I? Well, maybe because the description implies a Wizard of Oz retelling and this certainly isn't one - naming a character Dorothy and creating a plotline that is supposedly a "journey like a metaphorical Yellow Brick Road" does not count. I feel cheated.

I also want to point out the I don't read verse books for a reas
Aditi nichani
REVIEW AND MORE ON: http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.bl...

”When you think about it, the words don’t count for too much anyway, it’s the intentions behind them that do. And this was like we were skipping past the words because we didn’t need them.”*Quotes subject to my ARC*

And Melt was filled with them. Beautiful, thoughtful lines that is. From the time you read the synopsis, you know that this going to be one of those books- haunting, deep, and soulful.

Dorothy- asked many times if named after
Emily Bradley-dorman
**I received this book as an ARC from Jen Halligan PR to read & review. This is a 100% honest review.**

This is the story of Dorothy, a sixteen-year-old girl in a new town and a lot to learn. She comes from a perfect family and has never had to worry about a thing. This is the story of Joey, a seventeen-year-old boy that everyone has ruled out. He has a father that will make your skin crawl and a drinking problem of his own. These two character's couldn't be any more different if they tried
Amy
MELT follows the story of Dorothy and Joey. We first meet up with them in Dunkin' Donuts. Dorothy is new in town and has caught the eye of Joey, town bad boy. Even though her friend, Amy, tries to warn her away from Joey, stating that he is violent and a criminal, Dorothy can not resist him.....The more time that they spend together, the more that Dorothy starts to realize that there are demons haunting Joey and she doesn't know if she will be strong enough to help him........

MELT starts off wit
S.A. Larsen
Follow the journey of a boy emotionally dulled by domestic abuse and the girl who sees life, love, and hope in him.

This is a young adult story for the ages. Sounds clique, but true. It explores the world of domestic violence - a world all too often hidden from most. Just as adult victims, children/teens existing in such an environment are molded by what they see and feel. And it takes its tole.

From the outside, opinions can be told about Joey. He's rough, tough, and known for trouble. No one i
Joli
There are times when I read a book that it is gripping and moving and so satisfying that I don't know what to say and I'm having that experience right now. I read Melt twice and reread several parts of it more than a few times and I'm still searching for the words to express why it is a must read. This is truly meant to be a compliment because it was that good.

What I liked most was that I was in the moment with the characters - in the room with them, by the river, at that same Dunkin' Donuts. Th
Destiny
MELT was one of the most powerful, stunning books I’ve read all year. While not based on The Wizard of Oz as a re-telling, Castrovilla sets MELT against a Wizard of Oz backdrop and the L. Frank Baum passages offer a unique insight into the plot of MELT.

Also interesting is Selene Castrovilla’s writing style. Told in dual perspectives, one being written in verse, MELT quickly draws you in and reads very fast. I started this book around 3:00 p.m. and finished it before midnight – it was nearly impo
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
*NetGalley book review*

This was an interesti writing style but it intrigued me so I kept at it. Not a bad based on a true story, story. I felt bad for the kids who feel in love and the tough lives they lived. I also liked all The Wizard of Oz book quotes through out this. I'm a huge sucker for anything to do with Oz and as this book really doesn't per say, it was still a good little fast read.
Marie Clarisse
"I wonder if that tinge of white mixed in midnight is dawn. I wonder if dawn's there always, inside the night. I wonder if dawn's tucked somewhere in midnight folds, safely stowed until its time to shine."

This book couldn't have been any more heartbreaking.
  • The Sham
  • Butterfly Kills: A Stonechild and Rouleau Mystery
  • The Merit Birds
  • The Trouble with Paper Planes
  • Throwaway Girl
  • Modern Monsters
  • Whisper ( A Lakeview Novel, #2)
  • Camp Payback (Camp Boyfriend, #2)
  • Patient Z
  • The Circus of the Damned
  • Dead Over Heels
  • Flicker
  • The Sandra Bullock Files: From Speed to Gravity
  • Infandous
  • In His Secret Life
  • Last of the Independents (Vancouver Noir)
  • Angel (Angel, #1)
  • Anya and the Shy Guy
Selene Castrovilla is an award-winning teen and children’s author who believes that through all trends, humanity remains at the core of literature. She is the author of the contemporary YA novel Melt , a brutal love story based on true events. She is also the author of Saved By the Music and The Girl Next Door, teen novels originally published by WestSide Books and now available digitally through ...more
More about Selene Castrovilla...

Rough Romance (2 books)
  • Signs of Life (Rough Romance #2)
The Girl Next Door Saved by the Music Revolutionary Friends: General George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette By the Sword Upon Secrecy

“Dorothy, I said.