Start by marking “Melt” as Want to Read:
Melt

Melt

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Based on true events, MELT is both a chilling tale of abuse, and a timeless romance. MELT will hit you like a punch in the face, and also seep through the cracks in your soul.

MELT is a brutal love story set against the metaphorical backdrop of The Wizard of Oz (not a retelling). When sixteen year old Dorothy moves to the small town of Highland Park, she meets, and falls fo
Published November 6th 2014 by Last Syllable Books (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Melt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Melt

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

This one made me feel some . . . things when I first started. Mainly:

At some point can’t an author just write something like “I met Joey two weeks after I moved from NYC. I never would have guessed he would become such an important part of my life” and then get on with the story? Instalove that is so instant they fall in love before even saying hello makes me want to . . .

Not to mention why the f*&^ was this Wizard of Oz backdro
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Happy release day, Melt!!!

-------

4.5!!

YOU CAN ALSO READ MY REVIEW ON MY BLOG.

GUYSSSSS. ASSDFFGKDIEUEUEUSJKL

description

I’ve waited 2-3 days before I wrote my review of Melt and honestly, until now, I still can’t form coherent words about it. So please bear with me, I will try to express how I loved this masterpiece as understandable as I can.

We were first introduced by Joey, a teen that has a bad reputation and a bad situation at home. Then there’s Dorothy, sweet, sweet Dorothy who is new in town. When the
Sophia Sardothien
Thank you net galley for sending me this arc in exchange of an honest review

DNF: 29%

Melt is divided in to two perspective, a guy name Joey and a girl name Dorothy however this is not a retelling of the wizard of oz, just a backdrop love story between them. The chapters that are set in Joey perspective are verses and Dorothy's are in normal writing style.

I find it hard to adjust to the writing style. I'm not saying that the writing style is bad or anything. It's actually pretty good and decent,
Jen (A Book and a Latte)
Powerful. Gritty. Honest. Gripping.

I finished this book at 2AM. Just WOW. That's all I could say, it's so so good! If you're a fan of Ellen Hopkins, MELT is a must-read. I do feel I should warn that this book deals with violent abuse, alcoholism, drugs (mild), and sex.
вιвℓισρнιℓια {кιηgѕℓєу & ѕøяєη ƒσяєνєя}
description...

Different. Intense. Perfect.

This story was all of these, and so much more.

Selene had me caring, actually caring for these characters in a similar way as I did whilst reading Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma .... and that's saying something as I never thought I'd ever beable to find anything even remotely like I felt whilst reading 'Forbidden', but I found it in this book.

The feelings Selene made me feel whilst readng this were indescribable. I can't really process them yet. I'd love to read more of this verse, not that
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
Oct 24, 2014 Shannon (It Starts At Midnight) marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: for-review, own-ebook
* I was provided with a copy via Netgalley for review.

I tried, I really did. I wanted to read the whole thing, but it seemed silly to do so, since I knew it wasn't going to be a positive outcome for me (I confirmed this by skimming the remainder of the book, but I still don't feel qualified to issue a rating). I will try to explain a bit about why it didn't work for me.

The insta love was just too much. I am pretty tolerant of romantic stuff in general, and some insta love I can deal with, but it
Jazmen This Girl Reads A lot
Wow. Just wow. This book.

Told in dual POV's, Melt is nothing like I expected it to be, and yet I can't believe how much I loved it. First off, let's talk about the writing. I loved the way the author wrote this novel. It had a poetic tone that flowed so well. The way the sentences were structured made the novel enjoyable to read. As well as the way she repeated certain phrases and words one after the other--it gave those words, and thoughts impact--it made me feel them all the more.

Now onto the
Khulood
Oct 30, 2014 Khulood rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc

Oh Selene, what have you done to me?

This book left me numb, I've finished reading it over an hour ago and I can't get myself to process the feelings I have. I'm glad I gave this book a chance after being thrown off a little by Joey's verse-style POV, but in all honesty, for Joey's character, it works!

The main characters are Joey, and Dorothy. I wasn't able to relate to or connect with Dorothy at all, but Joey, oh poor Joey! I wanted to find him and tell him that nothing is permanent, maybe ado
Abbie
(I received a copy from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.)

Actual rating - 2.5

MELT was an okay read, but it dragged at times.

Dorothy and Joey were both okay characters, but i didn't love them. I did feel sorry for Joey and his mum though, as the situation they were in was horrible.

Joey's chapters were quite confusing at first, as they were written in verse, and his thought's were all over the place. After a few chapters though, i got used to it, and i understood why it was written tha
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Last Syllable Books and NetGalley.)

This was an interesting YA contemporary romance novel, with dealt with some difficult topics. I did find it difficult to relate this to ‘The Wizard of Oz’ though.

I liked both Dorothy and Joey, although they were both pretty different. Dorothy came from quite a privileged family it seemed, while Joey had a father who abused both Joey and his mother on a daily basis. I l
Patty  (BookishWanderlove)
 photo c84e18c8-8677-4526-89d4-fbd17c81445a_zpscae30e67.jpg

photo 8421230_zps8e07387e.gif

Have you ever read something dark? So dark that it leaves you feeling numb. You sit there after, your brain still trying toprocess everything you just read. That was me once I finished reading Melt . I've never read anything by Ellen Hopkins, and I've never read anything dark. If there's a book that I've read that's classified as dark, it shouldn't be. Selena Castrovilla's Melt is the true definition of a book that is both dark and deep.
All those years building and all it took was for a puddle to
Abbie
Melt is a retelling of the Wizard of oz but it is far from yellow brick roads and happily ever afters. This is a story of true love caught between a maelstrom of pain and forbidden passion.

Dorothy is the new girl in town. She meets bad boy Joey who has a painful secret. The two of them are fervently in love but circumstances threaten to tear them apart.

Joey comes from an abused family. He drinks, he gets into fights, he's been in jail. He fears that Dorothy will be caught between his father's fu
Brittany
2.5/5 Stars

I can't say that I loved it, but it definitely held my attention. This is a story about love and family abuse. All of which are truly heart wrenching. There are odd snippets from The Wizard of Oz inserted into the book but I have no idea why they are there or how it relates to the plot. The writing style reminds me of Tahereh Mafi's Shatter Me, with the repeating phrases and poetic writing during Joey's POV. It's pretty short so it was easy to get over the things that bothered me abou
Melissa
Oct 16, 2014 Melissa marked it as dnf
Shelves: arcs
Ok. I'm sorry. DNF at 17%.

I feel incredibly guilty at not finishing this book, especially as it was a free copy from Netgalley and I know I'm meant to read and review it. But I just can't. I'm reading it and it's just boring me. I can't get into the verse style, I don't like Joey or his way thinking. I have more important things on my TBR that I just need to get into, so I feel like this isn't something I want to carry on reading. I rarely get much time to read anymore as it is so I don't want t
Darnia
Got the copy through NetGalley for an honest review

No..no..no..noooo..the ending shouldn't like that! I just feel that it seemed like a movie ending, but a novel shouldn't ended like that. At least, gave an epilogue because I really..really wanna know what would happened to some characters after that. This story has slow and fast paces in some parts. But I hate when it must end in the FAST ones.

Melt is an insta-love story between Joey, a guy who got domestic abused and Dorothy, a good girl. The
Rachel Lightwood

Before I start let me admit that I may or may not have enjoyed this more if I went in expecting a contemporary romance in verse. I was not expecting that at all. Why wasn't I? Well, maybe because the description implies a Wizard of Oz retelling and this certainly isn't one - naming a character Dorothy and creating a plotline that is supposedly a "journey like a metaphorical Yellow Brick Road" does not count. I feel cheated.

I also want to point out the I don't read verse books for a reas
Melek G.
I honestly don't get why anyone would give this book more than 2/5. The whole thing is full of drama and nothing else. It has insta-love between a broken boy who suffers from domestic abuse and a girl with disinterested parents (these are practically what we know about the characters themselves, by the way), starting from the first chapter they see each other. Normally I'm attracted to broken boys, but when it comes to Joey, I could see nothing to be attracted, because other than being broken, J ...more
Emily Bradley-dorman
**I received this book as an ARC from Jen Halligan PR to read & review. This is a 100% honest review.**

This is the story of Dorothy, a sixteen-year-old girl in a new town and a lot to learn. She comes from a perfect family and has never had to worry about a thing. This is the story of Joey, a seventeen-year-old boy that everyone has ruled out. He has a father that will make your skin crawl and a drinking problem of his own. These two character's couldn't be any more different if they tried
Miguel
Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.Like literally.

Melt is no retelling of The Wizard of Oz if you're ever wondering about a reappearance of the famous ruby slippers. It's real life we're talking about here this time. Selene Castrovilla sure knows how to paint a vivid and revelatory image of the cruelties of Real Life Land.

Whatever expectation I had, whatever doubt I had going into this book was immediately shattered after three chapters or so. The first thing that caught my attenti
Ruth
Full review: http://bookjunkiereview.blogspot.com/2014/06/review-melt-by-selene-castrovilla.html

Dorothy is a new comer to Highland Park, where all the cool kids congregate Muchkinland (a.k.a. Dunkin Donuts). There, she meets Joey, the resident ‘bad boy’ who everyone fears and stays away from. But Dorothy is not deterred by his bad rep, for she sees a wounded person, from the pain of abuse and battling his own demons. Both have an instant connection and their love is not just tested by peer press
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
*NetGalley book review*

This was an interesti writing style but it intrigued me so I kept at it. Not a bad based on a true story, story. I felt bad for the kids who feel in love and the tough lives they lived. I also liked all The Wizard of Oz book quotes through out this. I'm a huge sucker for anything to do with Oz and as this book really doesn't per say, it was still a good little fast read.
Debbie

I am completely stoked that I got to read this book before it comes out and participate in this early review tour. I can't even explain how much this book affected me. I had to wait to write my review for a week after I was finished reading it, so that I could have time to gather my thoughts and come up with the right words to describe this book. I am still not sure I was able to do it justice with mere words.

Joey Riley was bad news. Her friend Amy tried to warn her. Joey was a "loser". He was
Ayah Assem
I received Melt from Last Syllable Books via NetGalley in exchange with an honest review.

No, this isn't a plot twist of The Wizard of Oz, but the author finds a way to revive some sub meanings in her story. Does that even make sense ???

Melt is a tale that will give you knots and butterflies in your stomach, yes both at once ! You are going to MELT on these pages.

This is such a captivating read from the start. I got so involved with the characters that I was afraid to leave them, afraid that I mi
Carrie Ardoin
I tried, but HOOOOLY INSTALOVE BATMAN! They literally meet and are making googly eyes and holding hands like 5 minutes later. I could not stomach it. Not to mention, this book basically has NOTHING to do with The Wizard of Oz, except for the fact that the main character's name is Dorothy. This is a not a retelling, and I am sad for that fact.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Incredibly raw, emotional and horrifically realistic.
Apart from the main character called Dorothy and a few random.references, I didn't actually see any connection to The Wizard of Oz. A powerful read.
Review to come.
Aditi nichani
REVIEW AND MORE ON: http://athousandwordsamillionbooks.bl...

”When you think about it, the words don’t count for too much anyway, it’s the intentions behind them that do. And this was like we were skipping past the words because we didn’t need them.”*Quotes subject to my ARC*

And Melt was filled with them. Beautiful, thoughtful lines that is. From the time you read the synopsis, you know that this going to be one of those books- haunting, deep, and soulful.

Dorothy- asked many times if named after
S.A. Larsen
Follow the journey of a boy emotionally dulled by domestic abuse and the girl who sees life, love, and hope in him.

This is a young adult story for the ages. Sounds clique, but true. It explores the world of domestic violence - a world all too often hidden from most. Just as adult victims, children/teens existing in such an environment are molded by what they see and feel. And it takes its tole.

From the outside, opinions can be told about Joey. He's rough, tough, and known for trouble. No one i
Jillyn
Three and a half stars.

This book left me really torn on how to rate it. There were some things I absolutely loved and other things I hated just as much. I guess it evens out to about a three/three and a half star rating.

Let me first start off by saying this isn't a book I'll soon forget. It's gritty and real and addresses some pretty tough stuff. It has a haunting tone throughout that lingers even after you're done with it.

I loved Joey's perspective. That is, I found it the most unique and capti
Cath
Dec 20, 2014 Cath rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No-one.
Lauren
Melt is an emotional read that contains some powerful and heartbreaking themes, especially of child abuse and domestic violence. It is also based on a true story, which makes the story even more real. However, I felt like the author was in such a rush to get her story out and save her characters that I missed some of its impact. I wish she'd slowed down a bit and taken more time to build the story and let us get to know her characters better, especially in the way the romance developed. Dorothy ...more
  • Not Otherwise Specified
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • Watched
  • Dark Prayer
  • How To Liv
  • Last of the Independents (Vancouver Noir)
  • Night Sky
  • Hit
  • Seed
  • True (The Story of Us, #1)
  • In His Secret Life
  • Camp Payback (Camp Boyfriend, #2)
  • Hudson (The Barter System, #2)
  • John Dreamer
Selene Castrovilla is an award-winning teen and children’s author who believes that through all trends, humanity remains at the core of literature. She is the author of the contemporary YA novel Melt , a brutal love story based on true events. She is also the author of Saved By the Music and The Girl Next Door, teen novels originally published by WestSide Books and now available digitally through ...more
More about Selene Castrovilla...
The Girl Next Door Saved by the Music Revolutionary Friends: General George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette Upon Secrecy By the Sword

“Dorothy, I said.