Start by marking “Fourteen Stories” as Want to Read:
Fourteen Stories

Fourteen Stories

Cover art by James Avati
Mass Market Paperback, Pocket Book Edition 3rd Printing, 260 pages
Published January 1976 by Simon and Schuster of Canada Ltd (first published January 1st 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Fourteen Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fourteen Stories

Paloma Pierce
Aug 12, 2013 Paloma Pierce rated it it was amazing
Pearl S. Buck has proved to be one of my favorite authors. I love her voice and the technical construction of her writing. This was my first time reading any of her short stories and I enjoyed it immensely. My favorite story in this collection is, "The Engagement". However, my favorite quote comes from the story "Melissa".

Pg. 186: "And when I told Mr. Kean about her he said that destructiveness only comes when life isn't lived. People who can live their lives don't destroy themselves."
Mark
Feb 11, 2008 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
OK, to be honest, in my case, this should be called "Pearl Buck: Five Stories." Just didn't have the willpower and interest to keep going.

Of the five I read, I would say they broke into two groups. When Pearl was writing about contemporary American life, which in her case ranged from the 40s to the 60s, the stories seemed dated, stilted, melodramatic, and none too sympathetic toward the women characters.

When she was writing about Asian society, or better yet, the intersection of Asian and West
Dlynn
Dec 03, 2008 Dlynn rated it really liked it
amazing collection of short stories. real, honest and easy to read. really great!!
Kim
May 05, 2008 Kim rated it liked it
The only thing I had read by Pearl S. Buck before this collection was The Good Earth, which I enjoyed very much. These stories are really good too. There are two, "Melissa" and "Francesca," that deal with life in the theater/as an actor and are really interesting. I think my favorite story is "The Beauty," though. It is about the relationship between a very traditional Chinese wife and the bar girl her husband loves.
Stacey Culpepper
Apr 25, 2015 Stacey Culpepper rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this collection from Pearl S. Buck years ago. The common thread in most of the short stories is of course love sometimes mixed with tragedy. I like the Asian influence throughout because of the authors'personal experience with the culture but more importantly it highlighted a diversity in characters at a time in American History when that was not popular. For that reason alone Ms. Buck should be celebrated!
Ellen
Aug 21, 2008 Ellen rated it liked it
I'm not always a fan of short stories, however several of these were good and several I couldn't get into at all. As usual the ones I liked had an Asian flair and the ones I didn't were a bit to white-bread American. But it was Buck so, overall, it was GOOD.
Sherrill
May 14, 2009 Sherrill rated it liked it
this book was good because it had 14 stories instead of one long one. I have been enjoying her books
Linda
Jun 21, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
Short stories featuring Asians in both China and the U.S. in the post World War II era.

(Working from a list of books I read years ago.)
Joellen
Joellen rated it it was amazing
Aug 30, 2014
Deepa Jayabhadran
Deepa Jayabhadran rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013
Holly
Holly rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2009
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2008
Lindsey Lane
Lindsey Lane rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2013
Sonia Gonzalez ortiz
Sonia Gonzalez ortiz rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Mary-Clare
Mary-Clare rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2009
Kiara
Kiara rated it really liked it
Feb 11, 2008
Juli
Juli rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2010
Russell
Russell rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2008
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
May 24, 2012
Ruthe
Ruthe rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Ana Paula
Ana Paula rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Pearl Sydenstricker Buck was a bestselling and Nobel Prize–winning author. Her classic novel The Good Earth (1931) was awarded a Pulitzer Prize and William Dean Howells Medal. Born in Hillsboro, West Virginia, Buck was the daughter of missionaries and spent much of the first half of her life in China, where many of her books are set. In 1934, civil unrest in China forced Buck back to the United St ...more
More about Pearl S. Buck...