Start by marking “Spacecraft: 2000-2100 AD” as Want to Read:
Spacecraft: 2000-2100 AD

Spacecraft: 2000-2100 AD (Terran Trade Authority #1)

One of a series of "Terran Trade Authority Handbooks" Using illustrations from a wide range of artists of the time
Published October 1st 1978 by Chartwell (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Spacecraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spacecraft

Terry
Sep 26, 2010 Terry rated it really liked it
In middle school, I used to stare at this book for hours on end, imagining that distant future. Let's put this in context: Star Wars was one movie, Cylons were chrome-plated clods, and Space Invaders vied with Astroids for the title of 'Best Video Game.' Can't remember a thing about the text, but the pictures were captivating. About the same time, I stumbled upon Robert Heinlein and applied his stories to the images Cowley assembled. Now I'll have to go seek out a very expensive used copy just t ...more
Damon
Feb 03, 2015 Damon rated it really liked it
I used to spend hours at the Camas library pouring over every inch of every page of this book, immersed in fearsome and fantastical day-dreams. I didn't have to try very hard, such is the talent on display in this fun exposition of alien art. Even when my family accompanied me or when I was distracted by some other piece of literature-- from what my mom called "the weird section"-- it would glisten out of the corner of my eye, off across the room in the lonely corner of K through 12. "Open me up ...more
Mouldy Squid
May 01, 2012 Mouldy Squid rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Ah, nostalgia. I remember these books from when I was a kid, spending my time in grade school library. I ran across the set at a flea market and added them to the collection. They aren't quite as amazing as I remember, but they get full marks for the cool concept and the remembered joy of my younger self.
Richard
Apr 08, 2008 Richard rated it it was amazing
As a kid, this book confused the hell out of me. I knew it couldn't be real but the historical schematic format - akin to reading promotional literature for electronics device - sure made it seem real.

I cracked it open recently and was immediately struck by how strongly the book had imprinted on my memories.
Curtiss
A clever incorporation of various science fiction artwork into a storyline.
Julian Meynell
I had this book as a child. The magic of this book is that while the background is pure Space Opera the book is more concerned about telling you about design flaws in the engines or where the best museum examples of the spaceships are, than with telling a poor space opera and that makes the whole thing come beautifully alive.

It is my favorite work of mock nonfiction, although it is probably not the best. It might be because the art is evocative and the text brings this out without degenerating i
Joe Labriola
Jun 26, 2017 Joe Labriola rated it it was amazing
Featuring stunningly imaginative retro-artwork as well as engaging technical descriptions,
"Spacecraft: 2000 to 2100" is as much a speculative narrative of humanity’s exploration of the cosmos as it is a fun spaceship guidebook, illuminating mankind’s age-old drive for innovation and adventure through both times of future peace and war.
Andrew
Nov 17, 2016 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I first got this book around 1979, and it tapped into the explosion of popular sci-fi around that time, including 'Star Wars', 'Battlestar Galactica' and 'Buck Rogers'. Relying on artwork from numerous sci-fi illustrators, Cowley produced some thing along the line of a fictional Observers book of future space craft, combined with a narrative focused on an interstellar war.
This is hardly a significant entry in sci-fi fiction, and the prose is almost totally colourless. Yet I (and perhaps others)
Michael
Jun 26, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it
Why didn't I keep this book? It has some brilliant illustrations in it, which I used to love leafing through. The text, if I remember correctly, is inspired by the images and isn't related the the books which used the art for their covers.

Well, I guess you can't keep all the books that pass into your life, but I wish I'd kept this one!
Michele Torbidoni
This book is really full of "that kind of future" we imagined in late 70's. Something that eventually found its popularity in things like "Star Wars", "Close Encounters" (but also Hyams' "Outland") and in the works of late Chris Foss. If you're an avid Hard Sci-Fi lover, find a copy on eBay and you'll enjoy it!
Brent
Sep 04, 2015 Brent rated it liked it
One of the cool science fiction illustration books I would check out of the library over and over, Some of the narratives were cheesy even as a kid, but with that great art you could easily imagine your own stories.
Eric Johnson
Jul 19, 2015 Eric Johnson rated it it was amazing
I can't remember the exact time I read this book (been a long time that's for sure) but otherwise a great collection of SF fictional spacecraft. It was also illustrated and again, well done and a good read for SF buffs.
Rob
Apr 21, 2009 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I loved this book. One painting, maybe a schematic or two, and Cowley had a story about the ship pictured in the painting. Never mind how weird or unlikely the painting was; he had the odd parts covered, too.
Melissa Cuevas
Aug 18, 2013 Melissa Cuevas rated it it was amazing
Originally owned the paperback copy, purchased back when I still lived in the UK. That copy eventually fell apart, but then the book faeries smiled on me by placing a hardcover copy of this in a thrift store. Of course I snatched it up, it's a wonderful, amazing book for any sci fi lover.
Alec
Oct 09, 2008 Alec rated it really liked it
I must have spent 200 hours reading and re-reading this book as a kid with an electric imagination. Something about it really struck a chord for me at that time.
Eric Bangle
Feb 28, 2013 Eric Bangle rated it it was amazing
Awesome primer for those wishing to prepare for their future life as a intergalactic space traveler or rogue.
James Rosh
Oct 07, 2014 James Rosh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-as-a-kid
One of my all time fave books as a kid. This book was amazing! I really dug trying to draw the ships.
Timothy Boyd
Great SiFi art book. Nice pics and entries. Recommended
Dave/Maggie Bean
Jul 29, 2011 Dave/Maggie Bean rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, sci-fi
More hokum (not to mention wishful thinking), but beautifully illustrated.
Mike
Feb 11, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
I loved these books as a youngster, I remember checking these out from the library over and over again.
Jonathanstray Stray
Aug 20, 2009 Jonathanstray Stray rated it really liked it
Mmm... classic fictional geeky future history. With great paintings! Again, childhood memories. So much fun!
Mateen Greenway
Mateen Greenway rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2014
Jesse De Angelis
Jesse De Angelis rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Bri Fidelity
Bri Fidelity rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2010
John Francis
John Francis rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
George Robson
George Robson rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Tyrone
Tyrone rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2012
Gannon Reeves
Gannon Reeves rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2017
Tracy B
Tracy B rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Barlowe's Guide to Extraterrestrials: Great Aliens from Science Fiction Literature
  • After Man: A Zoology of the Future
  • The Stone God Awakens
  • The Witch Goddess (Horseclans, #9)
  • Ships of the Line (Star Trek)
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels
  • The Art of Michael Whelan
  • Flandry of Terra (Ensign Flandry 3)
  • Carve the Sky
  • Frankenstein Unbound
  • Berserker Man (Berserker, #4)
  • When the People Fell

Terran Trade Authority (8 books)
  • Great Space Battles
  • Spacewreck: Ghostships and Derelicts of Space (Terran Trade Authority Handbook)
  • Starliners