Start by marking “A Cup of Christmas Tea” as Want to Read:
A Cup of Christmas Tea

A Cup of Christmas Tea

A new exquisite version of the beloved classic. The story of a young man's reluctant visit to an elderly aunt at Christmastime, and the unexpected joy it brings. A New York Times Bestseller, more than 1.5 million copies have sold. Delicate watercolor illustrations used throughout. Hardcover with gold foil dust jacket and gold metallic ink throughout.
Published October 1st 2004 by Waldman House Press (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about A Cup of Christmas Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cup of Christmas Tea

Donna Davis
Nov 03, 2013 Donna Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, reviewed, holidays
I received A Cup of Christmas Tea as a Christmas gift from a close friend when I was in my twenties and my children were still tiny. I read the book, which is a poetic narrative that reflects on the importance of remaining connected with older people in the family, not only because they are lonely, but because if they were important to us when we were children, chances are that the connection will still prove important to us. I put it rather clumsily; the poem is brilliant.

I still have the book,
Fictionophile
I own this book and read it every Christmas to get me 'in the mood' for the season.
Duffy
Apr 18, 2013 Duffy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author and I both grew up in Minnesota and met in 9th-grade English class. After Tom had this book published he had an interview with the local radio station. My Mom heard his reading and the interview and decided to get this for me for Christmas; I don't think she realized that I knew Tom since we moved the summer after 9th grade. The neighborhood I grew up in had an older woman who was an Aunt or Grandma for all of us kids. This story sparks tons of Minneapolis and Christmas memories which ...more
writer...
Dec 08, 2014 writer... rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christmas morning I opened this lovely hardcover book received from Mrs Claus [along with a box of tea]:)
A brief, but creative reminder of the value of determining priorities in the busyness of contemporary Christmas celebrations. Much appreciated and the fact it was purchased from a local charity shop added to its value! Thank you Mrs Claus :))

Loved re-reading Mrs Claus' Christmas message in the flyleaf - inspiriting!
as was the reading of this so special story of a young man visiting an aging
Megan Nelson
This book is about a young man who has been invited by his elderly aunt, who has had a stroke, to visit at Christmastime; the only problem is, the young man does not want to go and visit his aunt. However, as he is encouraged by his parents to go, he agrees and shows up at his aunt's door. As soon as he sees his aunt and she says, "Come in!", he feels completely at home and just like he was six-years-old again. When he walks into her home, he sees all of her Christmas decorations, and they bring ...more
Amy Boucher
Dec 20, 2013 Amy Boucher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Christmas stories, which I read every year. Makes me think of my Great Aunt Elin, whom was a fascinating character, and my childhood in Minnesota. A must-read!
Lori
Jan 17, 2015 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming tale, told in verse, of an adult nephew's trepidation about visiting his Great Aunt at Christmas time. Somehow, he finds himself at her door and is welcomed in for a cup of Christmas tea. While in his aunt's company he learns lessons about facing life's challenges with dignity, finding happiness in any circumstance, the importance of someone to listen, and the joy of unconditional love. The illustrations are delightful. I'm so happy to have come across this lovely book and will reread ...more
Donna
Dec 07, 2015 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I read this book every Christmas and sometimes other times when I happen to spot it while looking for another book. This is a favorite of mine. It is a great reminder to not forget the older friends and relatives that may not be able to get around as much. These wonderful people still get lonely and long for someone to talk to. They might not remember everything but they have much to share.

I worked briefly in a long term care facility and it is so sad to see how lonely some of people are. Some
Kari
Jan 06, 2015 Kari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book embodying the Christmas spirit, showing that just because someone may look different on the outside then they have before doesn't mean that their personality, mind and soul have changed. I look forward to reading this book with my nieces in the years to come.
Jann Barber
This is a tiny book with sweet illustrations. I related to it immediately, as many people will.

Time to visit a relative you haven't visited in a long time. You are reticent to go, as you know the relative will be so much older and there are other things you'd rather do. However, it is Christmas, and you set out for the visit.

Of course, once there, you are immediately taken back to times of your childhood. The smells, the decorations, the relative (yes, looking older and more fragile, but so hap
Bam
Dec 12, 2014 Bam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, 2013-reads
This was read to us at a very traditional Christmas tea complete with cakes, clotted cream, finger sandwiches and, of course, pots of fragrant tea. Delightful!
Connie
Jan 05, 2016 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing in verse, the author tells of doing the hard thing, visiting his declining great aunt, and reaping the rewards.
Linda
Nov 10, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-and-simple
A lovely simple story about the true meaning of Christmas: a man visits his elderly aunt whom had a stroke.
Cynthia Egbert
Dec 18, 2014 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet poem that reminds us all what Christmas is truly all about.
Shell
Jan 06, 2016 Shell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the book very much. Short and sweet.
Erika Harris
Dec 30, 2015 Erika Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful - makes me cry.
Carol Brusegar
Dec 26, 2014 Carol Brusegar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely Christmas gift book!!
Pam
Jan 02, 2013 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xmas
This wonderful Christmas book does not fit any of the normal holiday subjects but it is sweet and warm hearted. This is a definite must read for any adults looking for a short Christmas read. While it is looks like a children's picture book, this is really for adults or older children. The illustrations by Warren Hanson, while not the traditional Christmas fare, fit the story extremely well. I hope to read it every year!
Maryellen
Dec 09, 2009 Maryellen rated it really liked it
I've given this book to so many people at Christmas, particulary those who have a loved one in failing health. It was recommended to me years ago and has developed into a family/cult tradition of sorts. I've hosted "A Cup of Christmas Tea" reading and tea for friends and family. It's simple message has a sing-song quality that nevertheless holds deep meaning for many.
EJ
Nov 24, 2007 EJ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
My mom had bought me this book for Christmas one year. Not only did it come with an audio cassette (can i still call it a cassette?=) But it came with Christmas tea! How can you beat that. Curling up with the book, tea and tape and ofcourse my mom....was a perfect way to get ready for the season.
Shirleen
Simple story in poetic form. Not especially well written, however if carries a perfect Christmas message. Remember the elderly and ill at Christmas time. It will brighten the holiday season and possibly yours as well. A Christmas tea party sounds like such fun!
Jessaka
It is hard to say why this book is so good. I just sat down and read it since it was recommended to me by a friend, and then I read it again. And maybe tomorrow I will read it one or two more times.
Cheryl
Dec 18, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I hadn't read this book -- I assumed that I had just forgotten the story. It's a lovely reminder that the true spirit of Christmas is sharing it with family and friends.
Pat Tucker
This short book was given me by a friend 15 years ago. She died a few years ago so I am reminded of her when I read and reread not only this book but the card she sent with it.
Terry
Aug 03, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it
I've been hesitant to read this one for years, fearing it would be too saccharine and depressing. But it's a sweet story with neat illustrations by two Minnesota guys.
Ketti
Dec 08, 2012 Ketti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas-books
A Cup of Christmas Tea is a fabulous book to read when the rush of Christmas is on.....it's sweet. This book makes a great gift, perhaps along with a little teacup.
Dec 03, 2009 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
It's a poem that only takes a few minutes to read, but it has a powerful message about the importance of our relationships with loved ones.
Elizabeth Olson
A cup of Christmas treacle! Well, I hadn't read it before, and now I have. Just don't tell anyone my eyes were moist by the end...
Dec 14, 2011 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really more of a picture book for grownups. A reminder that spending time with loved ones is what the holidays are about.
Laurie Burkland
Mar 08, 2008 Laurie Burkland rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christmas lovers, anyone who wants a good cry
Beautiful "children's" book about the human connection. We very often take it for granted until it's not there.
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
  • Cosmic Christmas
  • The Harney & Sons Guide to Tea
  • I Can't Be Good All the Time: An Anne Taintor Collection
  • Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
  • Ahmed and the Oblivion Machines: A Fable
  • The Hex Witch of Seldom
  • Toot & Puddle: Let It Snow
  • High Tea
  • Doctor Who: City at World's End
  • The Duel
  • The Great American Cereal Book: From Apple Jacks to Wheaties
  • Little Tree
  • Doctor Who: The Celestial Toymaker (Target Doctor Who Library, No. 111)
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • The Green Dwarf: A Tale of the Perfect Tense (Hesperus Classics)
  • Red Ranger Came Calling