A Cup of Christmas Tea

A Cup of Christmas Tea

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A new exquisite version of the beloved classic. The story of a young man's reluctant visit to an elderly aunt at Christmastime, and the unexpected joy it brings. A New York Times Bestseller, more than 1.5 million copies have sold. Delicate watercolor illustrations used throughout. Hardcover with gold foil dust jacket and gold metallic ink throughout.
Published October 1st 2004 by Waldman House Press (first published October 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about A Cup of Christmas Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cup of Christmas Tea

writer...
Christmas morning I opened this lovely hardcover book received from Mrs Claus [along with a box of tea]:)
A brief, but creative reminder of the value of determining priorities in the busyness of contemporary Christmas celebrations. Much appreciated and the fact it was purchased from a local charity shop added to its value! Thank you Mrs Claus :))
Duffy
The author and I both grew up in Minnesota and met in 9th-grade English class. After Tom had this book published he had an interview with the local radio station. My Mom heard his reading and the interview and decided to get this for me for Christmas; I don't think she realized that I knew Tom since we moved the summer after 9th grade. The neighborhood I grew up in had an older woman who was an Aunt or Grandma for all of us kids. This story sparks tons of Minneapolis and Christmas memories which...more
Donna
I received A Cup of Christmas Tea as a Christmas gift from a close friend when I was in my twenties and my children were still tiny. I read the book, which is a poetic narrative that reflects on the importance of remaining connected with older people in the family, not only because they are lonely, but because if they were important to us when we were children, chances are that the connection will still prove important to us. I put it rather clumsily; the poem is brilliant.

I still have the book,...more
Jann Barber
This is a tiny book with sweet illustrations. I related to it immediately, as many people will.

Time to visit a relative you haven't visited in a long time. You are reticent to go, as you know the relative will be so much older and there are other things you'd rather do. However, it is Christmas, and you set out for the visit.

Of course, once there, you are immediately taken back to times of your childhood. The smells, the decorations, the relative (yes, looking older and more fragile, but so hap...more
Pam
This wonderful Christmas book does not fit any of the normal holiday subjects but it is sweet and warm hearted. This is a definite must read for any adults looking for a short Christmas read. While it is looks like a children's picture book, this is really for adults or older children. The illustrations by Warren Hanson, while not the traditional Christmas fare, fit the story extremely well. I hope to read it every year!
Maryellen
I've given this book to so many people at Christmas, particulary those who have a loved one in failing health. It was recommended to me years ago and has developed into a family/cult tradition of sorts. I've hosted "A Cup of Christmas Tea" reading and tea for friends and family. It's simple message has a sing-song quality that nevertheless holds deep meaning for many.
EJ
My mom had bought me this book for Christmas one year. Not only did it come with an audio cassette (can i still call it a cassette?=) But it came with Christmas tea! How can you beat that. Curling up with the book, tea and tape and ofcourse my mom....was a perfect way to get ready for the season.
Shirleen
Simple story in poetic form. Not especially well written, however if carries a perfect Christmas message. Remember the elderly and ill at Christmas time. It will brighten the holiday season and possibly yours as well. A Christmas tea party sounds like such fun!
Amy
One of my favorite Christmas stories, which I read every year. Makes me think of my Great Aunt Elin, whom was a fascinating character, and my childhood in Minnesota. A must-read!
josey
It is hard to say why this book is so good. I just sat down and read it since it was recommended to me by a friend, and then I read it again. And maybe tomorrow I will read it one or two more times.
Cheryl
I can't believe I hadn't read this book -- I assumed that I had just forgotten the story. It's a lovely reminder that the true spirit of Christmas is sharing it with family and friends.
Pat Tucker
This short book was given me by a friend 15 years ago. She died a few years ago so I am reminded of her when I read and reread not only this book but the card she sent with it.
Terry
I've been hesitant to read this one for years, fearing it would be too saccharine and depressing. But it's a sweet story with neat illustrations by two Minnesota guys.
Ketti
A Cup of Christmas Tea is a fabulous book to read when the rush of Christmas is on.....it's sweet. This book makes a great gift, perhaps along with a little teacup.
It's a poem that only takes a few minutes to read, but it has a powerful message about the importance of our relationships with loved ones.
Elizabeth Olson
A cup of Christmas treacle! Well, I hadn't read it before, and now I have. Just don't tell anyone my eyes were moist by the end...
Really more of a picture book for grownups. A reminder that spending time with loved ones is what the holidays are about.
Laurie Burkland
Mar 08, 2008 Laurie Burkland rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christmas lovers, anyone who wants a good cry
Beautiful "children's" book about the human connection. We very often take it for granted until it's not there.
Ruth
The poetry doesn't quite scan, but the story is a good reminder of what is really important about Christmas.
Robin
Feb 28, 2009 Robin rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: tea lovers and sentimentalists
A sweet, endearing read to enjoy with a delicious hot cup of tea and the good company of dear friends.
 Barb Bailey
I liked this book alot......I may order 5 of them and give them as gifts this year.
Hannah
Aug 23, 2007 Hannah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone with a soul
its near and dear to my heart..my dad read it to me and my bros every christmas
A poem actually, made into a book (very short), with a good message.
Grete
Not particularly well-written, but *true*, and that's what counts.
Barbara Brien
I had never heard of this book before, but it is really sweet.
Jan
Heartwarming fast little read. I have a teapot that matches the book.
Mrsgaskell
Nice but not one that will become an annual tradition for me.
Elizabeth
This poem is short, but Hegg sure packs a lot into it. Nicely done.
Kathryn
I remember when this came out and giving it as a gift.
Nancy Rietz
will put you in the holiday spirit and make you cry
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Peef: The Christmas Bear (Peef the Bear) A Silent Night for Peef A Memory of Christmas Tea Peef and His Best Friend (Peef the Bear) Peef and the Baby Sister (Peef the Bear)