Start by marking “The Last Siege” as Want to Read:
The Last Siege

The Last Siege

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  660 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Der knisternde Psychothriller des umjubelten Bartimäus-Starautors

Eigentlich wissen Emily und Simon so gut wie nichts über Marcus. Es war Zufall, dass sie einander auf dem gesperrten Burggelände begegneten; und es war nur eine fixe Idee, einzusteigen und in der Ruine zu übernachten. Einfach so, als kleiner Nervenkitzel inmitten öder Ferien. Doch Marcus verwandelt die Burg i
Published (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Siege, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Siege

Melissa
Robin
Three present-day teens are thrown together in the last defense of a medieval castle—each one lonely for a different reason. Emily is an only child whose schoolmates either pick on her or ignore her. Simon is the youngest child of a big, blue-collar, trouble-making family, who often gets picked on at home. And as for Marcus... well, he's not even from the West Norfolk village where the children sneak onto the grounds of a ruined castle for a bit of sledding and snowball-fighting. No one really k ...more
Ashley
I can't help worrying that Stroud spent all his humor and creativity on the Bartimeaus books. I want so bad to really enjoy his other work but it tends to leave me a little disappointed. This book had many fun and redeeming plot developments, but ultimately it crash landed in a pile of doo doo at the end. The story was about three early teens who end up sneaking into a castle and staying the night. It had some nice camping and ghost story qualities which I loved, but the characters were a little ...more
Daria
I had been expecting something along the lines of time-travel and an actual siege of the old castle ruins in medieval times. This sort of adolescent story does not appeal to me (they never do, I confess), but there's no denying that Jonathan Stroud's writing is nothing short of brilliant, as always.
Jenn
I attempted to read this but it was so tirelessly boring I couldn't finish it. I enjoyed the Bartimaeus Trilogy and although those books had their moments of flagging enthusiasm, they had rousing plots, the resolutions of which I looked forward to discovering. Halfway through The Last Siege I never had a clear understanding of what was at stake for the characters-- what was the plot? what was the conflict? why should I care? I really wanted to enjoy this book, but it just seemed to go on and on ...more
Alvina
Judul Buku : The Last Siege (Pengepungan Terakhir)
Penulis : Jonathan Stroud
Alih Bahasa : Ribkah Sukito
Editor : Primadonna Angela
Penerbit : Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Tebal : 282 halaman, paperback
Cetakan Petama : Oktober 2011
ISBN : 978-979-22-7611-4

Kali ini Stroud tidak bercerita tentang fiksi fantasi seperti biasanya, The Last Siege ini kesemuanya berisi tentang secuplik kisah tiga anak yang awalnya bertemu di sebuah reruntuhan Kastil. Pertemuan Emily, Simon dan Marcus awalnya terjadi secara tidak
Nalia
Lagi, salah satu karya Jonathan Stroud yang jadi favoritku...
seperti biasa, Stroud kembali menyajikan tokohnya dengan karakter yang bukan hebat, superior, tangguh atau semacamnya -Emily yang terlihat selalu pesimis di awal, Simon yang kesannya agak temperamen dan Marcus yang sedikit gila-
termasuk di buku ini...

bercerita mengenai Emily, Marcus dan Simon yang awalnya tidak saling mengenal namun menjadi teman setelah mereka memasuki salah satu reruntuhan kastil di desa mereka. Awalnya Emily dan Sim
Heidi
This is a good book. It was a little slow getting into, but I was definitely hooked in the last 2 CDs. However, I was completely wrong about what I had thought the book would be as I went into it. I must have read the back cover of the book at least 10 times every time I considered reading it and then ended up with a different book. But I knew I wanted to read this one. I'm glad I did. But I'm thinking I would have enjoyed the book more if I hadn't kept expecting certain elements to come up that ...more
Felita Hardigaloeh
Emily, remaja yg lg dilanda kebosanan dg rutinitas kotanya....
Simon, remaja yg jenuh dg kesumpekan rumahnya gara2 banyaknya saudara
dan
Marcus, remaja kota tetangga yg penuh ide imajinatif

Ceritanya Emily, gara2 ga ada kerjaan, dia bermain salju di dekat reruntuhan kastil. lg asyik main sendirian tiba2 saudara2 Simon yg emg bandel2 ngerjain Emily. (Simon ga ikutan, tp dia cm ngeliatin aja).

Kabur dari saudara2 Simon, Emily ketemu Simon yg meminta maaf dg kelakuaan saudara2nya. Di saat itulah mereka
Shienny M.S.
honestly... the only thing I don't like about this book, is the Indonesian version cover design....

I dont mean any disrespect to whomever designed it, whoever it was... but obviously he/she did not even bother to read the story or even take a peek inside.

The story was set in old abandoned castle somewhere in rural Britain, and it happened during winter. The Indonesian version cover depicted something that resembles more of a Mediterranean castle, in summer....

just for the fun of it I try to do
Pujiyanto stiffy
buku yang pertama kubaca dari Mr Stroud.
Dan Mr Stroud.... serta terutama Marcusmu....kalian berdua berhasil memperdayaiku!!

Aku cukup menyukai kisahnya ini. Sampai menjelang detik2 terakhir, kisahnya si Marcus berhasil memainkan emosiku. Mendukungnya atau mengutuknya--sampai akhirnya, ahh masih terngiang dengan kalimat ini, 'Mungkin sulit untuk mengadukan ayahmu pada dunia'
Di sini kembali tercabik antara di pihak Marcus atau tidak, karena seperti yang dikatakan pihak dinas sosial kepada Em, kit
Izzatur Rahmaniyah
The story is simple but quiet interesting! I always love stories about children's adventure in the castle like a book from Edith Nesbit entitled The Enchanted Castle. Well, Jonathan Stroud is one of my favourite fantasy authors. This book reveals different persona of him in writing. I've read his trilogy, The Bartimaeus Trilogy. Yeah both of the book has different senses!
Nenangs
Apr 05, 2012 Nenangs rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pecinta buku petualangan enid blyton
lumayan bagus. mengingatkan pada seri petualangan Enid Blyton. meski tidak seheboh heroes of the valley, apalagi trilogi bartimaeus yg spektakulieur, tapi masih menunjukkan ciri2 khas stroud, terutama dalam hal penokohan dan karakterisasi. abg umur sekitar 11-15 tahun, berjiwa pemberontak, terkucil/dikucilkan dari teman2 sebayanya. yah kecuali barti sih, sang jin 5000 tahun itu. tapi saya belum baca mr norell sih. juga the leap (segera).

tapi jadi ada satu hal yang bikin penasaran. bukan ttg ceri
Renee
I first read this book in early high school and loved it, and I still do. There really isn't anything else like it. The characters are interesting and it embodies their boredom and distress well. It's a good break from fantasy because it takes a medieval castle and brings life and back to it simply with imagination and adventure.
Jamie
Apr 24, 2012 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who's ever felt lost or alone growing up
Recommended to Jamie by: Librarian
One of the only novels I've read that captures the magic of childhood without entering the world of fantasy, Stroud manages to capture the great loss that emerges as we travel through life (from childhood to adulthood) and are subject to disillusionment, death and isolation.

The three central characters in the novel each feel themselves separated from their peers and - though very different in personality - find solace in each other's company as they embark on a magical adventure in an abandoned
Morgan
I mainly picked up this book because it's Jonathan Stroud, and after a terrible "book hangover" caused by his Bartimaeus Trilogy, I set myself a goal to read his every book.
This isn't TBT. It's not fantasy. However, it's a great book by a great author.
This is about an adventure kids can have. It tells about such things as imagination and inspiration, bravery and friendship. Teenagers find an abandoned fortress in a small town, and, fascinated, explore it, play in it and - even - protect it.
I c
Erika (Rickie) Savage
This book is about a boy with a huge imagination, (Marcus), visiting this town, where he meets Emily and Simon. soon the three friends find an old abandoned castle, and they start to explore it almost everyday. later in, while Marcus is travelling, in between his home town and the town his friends live, his imagination starts to work up. soon enough their little adventure in the castle becomes a big mess.

I picked/finished this book because it sounded like an adventure, mixed with a bit of horro
Amalie
I randomly picked this book, I have never heard about this author before and surprisingly, I liked it better than I thought. I was considering giving this just 2 stars but on reflection, I think the themes in this book are sufficiently thought provoking to deserve 3 stars.

Best thing about this is it's quite a different story from other fantasy works because it's really a conflict between fantasy and reality and to be honest, the young readers need more realistic fiction because there's more tha
Steve
I love some of JS's other stuff but found this one to be a bit flat. It's a shame because i so wanted to like it.

I spent rather a lot of money to get the audiobook over from the States, but found it to be very drawn out and lacking in any great substance.
Zach
This was a really good read. I read it several years ago, forgot the name, was reminded of the plot today somehow, and just spent a half-hour searching various databases to figure out which title it was -- that's how strong a pull this young adult novel had for me. Three misfit (or are they, really?) teens are trapped on a snowy day inside a partially dilapidated castle. The writing is atmospheric, the dialogue realistic, the setting intense, the climax unsettling. Stroud's best work (in my opin ...more
Yvonne Powderly
A boring Christmas vacation morphed into an adventure Emily never expected.
A group of children – loner Emily, local troublemaker Simon, and the decidedly off-beat Marcus – decide to break into the local ruined castle to look around, at Marcus’s urging. However, once they’re inside, they decide to come back to spend the night… and then once they’ve begun defending the keep, how long can they hold out against the siege of adults come to take them home? And why don’t they want to go home?
I really e
Spencer Humphrey
This Stroud novel differed from the others that I have read in that there was no element of actual fantasy. It took place in modern time, but the story involves the occupation and siege of an old castle ruin. The story follows three teenagers as the discover what it means to trust and learn loyalty. In the end they discover more about life and relationships. Definitely orignal and easy to read, this books biggest struggle is a lack of a strong plot. The characters are fun to read about, but not ...more
Idan
Om Stroud..mending nulis high-fantasy aja deh..yang ini aneh banget ceritanya..endingnya juga bleerrgh -.-
cindy
petualangannya sih seru dan sangat imajinatif.... tapi kok trus gak ada juntrungannya.
2,5 * aja, ekspektasiku sedikit lebih drpd ini.
Nisia
This book was a complete opposite of The Heroes of The Valley. While I have been dissapointed with The Heroes of The Valley cuz I thought it would have been better, I have my sceptical about The Last Siege at first. I mean the summaries at the back of the book is not that interesting but voila! As I read it more and more it's getting more interesting each chapter.
The story can boost your imagination without it being truly fantasy. It's just like the Bridge to Terabithia in terms of how kids bui
Harun Harahap
Buku teman perjalanan gue menuju bandung dan juga di bandung saat menunggu sahabat menyusulku. Kisah di buku ini juga tentang persahabatan. Anak-anak kesepian yang berpetualang bersama di kastil tak berpenghuni. Salah satu dari mereka, Marcus ingin 'menguasai' kastil tersebut. Marcus yang kabur dari rumah, bersama temannya bertahan dari 'serangan' orang-orang dewasa.

Jujur sebenernya gue enggak gitu sreg ma sama ceritanya. Di akhir buku gue bertanya: "Terus apa? Moral of the story...hmm..*mikir*"
Eva
masih jauh ketimbang bartimeus
Richard
Not what I expected - previous books I read by this author were fantasies, this was a disturbing, realistic tale, though with an unusual setting. Very good though.
Ianti
Boorrriiingggg.....
Epistretes
I wanted to give this so much more because I adore Jonathan Stroud but this story fell a bit flat for me, I'm afraid. Giving it a higher rating would only be out of deference to the author.

The story was fairly predictable and I didn't really feel like I connected with any of the characters. They all were a bit off. Marcus was crazy, Simon was a bit hot and cold and Emily didn't seem rounded.

However, please don't let this review put you off reading Stroud's other very fine works.
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Page Number for The Last Siege 3 162 Dec 13, 2013 09:18PM
  • The Highwayman's Footsteps
  • Wunschkrieg (Die Sturmkönige, #2)
  • Song of the Slums
  • The Shiny Guys
  • Minor Arcana
  • Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Heretic
  • The Queen Must Die (Chronicles of Tempus, #1)
  • The Firework-Maker's Daughter
  • Here Lies Arthur
  • Akkadia: Gerbang Sungai Tigris
  • Scarlet in the Snow
  • The Secret of the Ruby Ring
  • Wild Boy (Rowan Hood, #4)
Jonathan Anthony Stroud is an author of fantasy books, mainly for children and youths.

Stroud grew up in St Albans where he enjoyed reading books, drawing pictures, and writing stories. Between the ages seven and nine he was often ill, so he spent most of his days in the hospital or in his bed at home. To escape boredom he would occupy himself with books and stories. After he completed his studies
More about Jonathan Stroud...
The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1) The Golem's Eye (Bartimaeus, #2) Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3) The Ring of Solomon (Bartimaeus, #0.5) The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co., #1)