Start by marking “The Lazarus Child” as Want to Read:

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  420 ratings  ·  45 reviews
It takes just an instant for a family's life to be changed forever. Now seven-year-old Frankie Heywood lies in a coma. The experts are telling her parents there is no hope. Their son is slipping away emotionally. And the Heywoods--their marriage already strained to the breaking point--are desperate. They have one last chance.

Dr. Elizabeth Chase is a brilliant neurologist w
Published December 1st 1999 by Bantam (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Lazarus Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lazarus Child

Kim
I first "read" this book in 2000 on my way back from a wedding in Atlanta - I was driving alone and it was my first book on tape. I was mesmerized. I found the book at the Green Valley Book Fair a few years ago and snatched it up. I read it this week and found it to be just as mesmerizing. Some of the sequences with the kids who are in deep comas are a bit disturbing, but the book as a whole just entangles my mind. I think about all the what ifs and the moral choices and the psychology and it is ...more
Peggy Ferrell

This book was difficult for me as I have worked for many years with people with Traumatic Brain Injuries. I put my understanding of how the body works and what progresses the medical field have made aside and tried to take this book as the pure fantasy that it is.

I was enjoying the book and wishing that medical breakthroughs in the field of Traumatic Brain Injury could be obtained as it was written but the author make a sharp change about 60 pages from the end and was a disappointment.

The story
Victoria
Absolutely riveting! From the very first chapter, the story pulled me right in! The characters really came to life as well and Mawson revealed their histories, flaws and traits in an interesting style that kept me turning the pages well into the night. And while the ending felt a bit rushed and chaotic, with a few too many outside forces pressuring down on them from every side imaginable, it did end well - with a very cinematic flair. I am curious to read his first book now!
Janith Pathirage
I know its bit harsh just to give 2 stars for this novel. It was a good story about family bonds and love, but this was not a compelling read. The entire story was like the coma Frankie went into. Numb and dry. Just by looking at the title I figured out how this story would end. There's a girl in a coma and the book is called 'The Lazarus Child'.. the rest is anybody's guess. It had few very emotional moments ,but that wasn't good enough, coz there's no fun in reading a novel if it gets this pre ...more
Shayne
It was a very intresting book and i enjoyed it a lot. It had a huge pull on me in the begining and kept it going. It slowly lost it's effect in the end, as the ending was dull. It was pacted full of emotions and almost made me cry at points. Overall it was a good book, and i will r
Helenlouise66
If you're willing to suspend your disbelief for most of this novel, sit back, relax, and marvel at the wonderful imagination of Mr.Mawson you'll enjoy this book. I found it fascinating, exciting, and a wonderful escape from day to day chores Mr.Mawson takes the reader into the unknown world of the coma victim as various interesting characters attempt to bring an innocent child back to the conscious world. There are plot twists and enough surprises to keep one guessing.

the ending confused me a l
Lyndsay Byrne
An extremely moving and deep book, it really gave me food for thought, and I really enjoyed the writers perspective, the idea and concept. Very interesting and emotional book.

I see people rating this book low for personal reasons, and although I can fully understand it touching close to home for you, myself included, you should really rate the book for what it is, how it was written, how it made you feel. If it moved you due to personal difficulties in relation to the story, then isn't that a go
Alayne
This was a very difficult book to read, and I couldn't read it in one go. I had to intersperse some lighter reading in between. It was the story of a child who was in a persistent vegetative state and a doctor who was trying to bring such children back. It included a lot of tragedy and a lot of legal wrangling. However, it was an engrossing story and I wanted to find out what happened. There was a lot of description which slowed the story down, but which seemed to be necessary to the story. A go ...more
Carmen8094
Suanne Laqueur
It was a good read, an interesting concept. I liked it, but there were times when just too much was going on. The strained marriage of Jack and Alison; Ben’s trauma; Dr. Chase’s motivations; the dream-sequence narratives of Frankie’s experience; sub-plot layered upon sub-plot until the sandwich was just too big to get your teeth into. I’d rather Mawson had picked one or two of the ideas and developed it fully. The ending was kind of vague. Still, an enjoyable read.
Bea
It started out as an ok and interesting story. Two kids in an accident, one end up in a coma and the other feels guilty about the whole thing. The parents are separated due to problems in their marriage. They have to get together because of the accident. They hear about this woman in the states who works on coma patients, trying to wake them up. And she has, of course, her own trauma and bad memories from her childhood. So far so good.

But it ended in... I don't know. It was just too much mumbo
Clara James
Fascinating read. Bit like reading "Marianne Dreams" as a child. If you can believe that anything is possible - both in reality and otherwise - then keep reading.

It took me several attempts to start this book and I was on the verge of giving up but I'm glad I stuck at it.
Sharon
The Lazarus Child

This book kept me reading and will stay in my mind, I think. It is such an interesting story on so many levels. I'm still ruminating about it. I liked the characters but I didn't feel like I was deeply attached to them. I like the grandmother's spunkiness. She is the one I would like to spend some time with. Elizabeth was very courageous in the pursuit of her passion of bringing back children who were in comas. It might have been more gripping if some of the characters and some
Deb
This book had an interesting premise, but had a very hard time delivering any satisfaction. It was choppy, very hard to follow at times, and disappointing overall.

The story is about a little girl that went through a terrible accident that left her comatose. Her brother that witnessed the accident and blamed himself began pulling away emotionally while the desperate parents' marriage that had been on the rocks became even more strained. Only a very experimental and highly controversial treatment
Micah
I don't remember a lot of the details, but I remember being intrigued. It was a captivating story with such an interesting innocent plot. It will definitely be on the read again list!
Katrin Raute
Great book. Very touching. I've read it several times and always found new aspects regarding the characters and the story. A must read!
Marni
A bit of a stretch into the subconscious, but I wanted to keep reading to find out what would happen.
Marge Prohofsky
Robert Mawson ties together why Dr Elizabeth Chase is consumed by her passion to somehow help the very helpless in the world. She is determined to bring back children who are lost in a coma through her ground-breaking methods. The book chronicles Dr Chase's attempt to return Frankie Heywood from her comatose state. It delves into Frankie's family, as well, and relates how her parents and brother deal with the psychological effects of Frankie's accident and how to relate to a family member on the ...more
Barbara Gard
wonderful book
Emma
Great book... but often a bit vague as to what was actually real/not real, sometimes I was confused as to who was the character at the time. Interesting plot, but could have gone deeper into some characters. Great suspense at the end, then was let down with vague ending. Enjoyed reading it, but disappointed because I didn't really know what had happened to the main characters in the end.
Beem Weeks
This story showed potential but fell short. It was recommended by someone I trust to put me up on a good read. He missed the mark this time. Kids with head injuries learn to communicate with electronic help while in comas. Yawn. I didn't find it all that great. What it could have been and what it is makes a huge difference. Not the worst I've read. Not anywhere near the best either.
Sorcha
Quite a fast read, so the 400 odd pages went surprisingly quickly. [return][return]Frankie - the young daughter - gets knocked down on the way to school. and goes into a coma. Finally, after months without any progress, there's a glimmer of hope in a controversial clinic in the US, who unfortunately are having their own problems
Jenn
The scenes of what the Ben was thinking or "doing" while he was unconscious were just too far out for me. I also think I realizes a third of the way in that I had read the book before and started remembering the story. Kim D. - why didn't you think I'd like it? I'm curious. (:
L.b. Silva
this is my favorite book ever. I really love Elizabeth Chase, she was my favorite character ever (i hate his character in the movie :S c'mon, she is blonde!) and I love Boyd too, what a beautiful man. This book was all for me. Thanks, Robert.
Karschtl
Irgendwie hat es mich an den dritten Zwilling erinnert, weiß auch nicht wieso. Vielleicht weil es hier um Science ging und eine Frau die Forscherin war....

Ansonsten fragt man sich, wer in diesem Buch Lazarus war. Frankie, Ben oder Lizzie?
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Wow! This is really not one of my usual books but I have to say I really enjoyed it. As a mother it really made me take a look at what I would do if I was in a situation like this. I still don't know the answer. Very thought provoking.
Ria
Dec 12, 2009 Ria added it
Lazaruskind is een indrukwekkende vertelling over hoop en wanhoop, beproeving en genezing - en een onvergetelijke en schitterend verhaal over grenzeloze moed het het vermogen tot het brengen van offers.
Rojna Yvonne
Haunting, very interesting concept.
Kinda wish it had gone deeper in explanation, but I understand why it didn't.
Picked it up one night and didn't put it down till I finished it at 4am the next morning.
Jan
A very interesting and, at times, intense story about a child in a coma and the doctor who delved into the unknown to "bring them back". All in all, a memorable book as who's to say this is not how it happens.
Jager
Mar 18, 2009 Jager is currently reading it
this book is great so far but the pauses are dreadfully boring to get through and it forces you to put the book down. I haven't touched it for a while but I know it is a good book eventually.
  • Redemption Blues
  • Mama, I Love You
  • Плаха
  • The Ugly Duchess
  • Katyně
  • The Arrangement
  • Hruškadóttir (Islandská novela)
  • Talks With T. G. Masaryk
  • Labyrint světa a ráj srdce
  • Divá Bára
  • Mr. Theodore Mundstock
  • Judge On Trial
  • Slavnosti sněženek
  • Das Vermächtnis der Wanderhure (Die Wanderhure, #3)
  • Petrolejové lampy
  • Het zwijgen van Maria Zachea: een ware familiegeschiedenis
  • The Sufferings of Prince Sternenhoch
  • Markéta Lazarová
Von einem Tag auf den anderen De wolkenjagers Max Pechstein Manufacture of artillery ammunition