Start by marking “The Sword of Shannara Trilogy. Terry Brooks” as Want to Read:
The Sword of Shannara Trilogy. Terry Brooks

The Sword of Shannara Trilogy. Terry Brooks (The Original Shannara Trilogy #1-3 )

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  17,281 Ratings  ·  334 Reviews
THE SWORD OF SHANNARA: Long ago, the world of Shea Ohmsford was torn apart by war. But the half-human, half-elfin, Shea now lives in peace - until the forbidding figure of Allanon appears, to reveal that the long dead Warlock Lord lives again

THE ELFSTONES OF SHANNARA: Ancient evil threatens the Elves and the Races of Man. For the Ellcrys, the tree of long-lost Elven magic,
Published January 15th 2004 by Orbit (first published January 1st 1979)

Chloe
Jun 10, 2017 Chloe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have this behemoth of a book and because of all the bad reviews, I don't know whether to read it or not. Any thoughts?
Samuel
May 18, 2012 Samuel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My bleeding goodness...

I was recommended this book by my sister a few years ago. I started reading it and then switched off, but I decided that must be because I was tired or something else...basically. I gave the book a second chance. I'm a school teacher; you get a second chance, but you ain't getting a third.

I started reading it, again, hoping it could be one of those books I could read a few pages a day because of my busy work schedule. I was hoping I wouldn't have to dedicate lengthy perio
Jackie
Oct 27, 2008 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers
Shelves: fantasy, epic

The world of Shannara (the Four Lands) is reminescient of Tolkien's LOTR, not in style but in the classic struggle of good vs. evil on an epic scale. An easier read than Tolkien, Shannara has it's merits. Loveable characters, mysterious characters, characters to despise. A quest and all it's inherent dangers.
This original trilogy is by far my favorite in the enitre series.
THE SWORD OF SHANNARA: Two stories interwoven, one follows the protagonist Shea Ohmsford on his quest to obtain the Sword of
Aoife
Feb 10, 2016 Aoife rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

The Sword of Shannara 2.5/5 Stars
*************

Coming into this series, I had already watched and read a lot of mediocre reviews. I was well aware that this book was very heavily inspired by Lord of the Rings and I'm glad I was prepared for this because even though I knew it, throughout the book I found myself saying 'Lord of the Rings', 'Lord of the Rings,' and 'oh, more Lord of the rings!'

I wish I liked The Sword of Shannara more than I did because I do feel, despite being inspired by Tolkien's
Sara
Nov 12, 2016 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Finalmente è finito.
Mi dispiace per la valutazione poco generosa ma il palesissimo plagio a Il Signore degli Anelli e la totale prevedibilità della saga mi hanno talmente irritata che ho fatto davvero fatica a portare a termine il terzo volume, tralasciando anche ben più di qualche paragrafo qua e là.
Probabilmente se l'avessi letto da ragazzina - e magari prima del SDA -, l'avrei apprezzato molto più, ma dopo 6 mesi dall'inizio della lettura posso solo dire di essere parecchio contenta di lascia
Amy
Jan 09, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I went specificly looking for an Epic Fantasy series that could engross me as much as A Song of Ice and Fire, The Lord of the Rings, or The Wheel of Time. I found this highly reccomended and went into it expecting to love it. I was very surpised to find it so disappointing. I am unsure why this gets listed as being on par with the other series I listed. The writting is really sub-par. You don't care about the characters, it's narrated like somone decided to write out their DnD adventure, it seem ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin
This book is a trilogy so I'm going to break it down into each book. There will be ***SPOILERS***

The Sword of Shannara:

This is the beginning of many books in the series. A Druid named Allanon comes looking for the half elf Shea so he can get the sword to destroy the Warlock Lord. Shea's brother Flick comes along for the journey. They have to fight for their lives with all sorts of evil creatures. They pick up some friends along the way and Allanon recruits more to help. Menion Leah is a friend o
by Ax
Aug 21, 2014 by Ax rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Schematico

Trilogia che comprende l’intero primo ciclo di Shannara, così composto:
La spada di Shannara
Fantasy classico, con la cerca, la compagnia, e l'oggetto da recuperare. Lo stile scorrevole accompagna l'intera storia e la trama risulta semplice ma estremamente visiva nelle descrizioni e nelle caratterizzazioni dei protagonisti. Godibile e nulla più, lo riconosco, ma è riuscito a intrattenermi.
Le pietre magiche
Un po' meno coinvolgente del primo volume, nonostante la tematica di fon
Shean Pao
Sep 17, 2013 Shean Pao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well nothing can equal Brook's stories when it comes to high fantasy. He is a master. You simply won't be dissapointed by any of his books. Who doesn't love elves, griffins, orcs and demons? (Ok not the demons but they are necessary for the story). If you want to be taken to another world and time - this is it
Sara
Jul 10, 2015 Sara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-read-next
After seeing the trailer for this (new TV show on MTV!) I really want to read it!
Derek Liggett
Couldn't finish the third installment. It's basically a poorer version of Lord of the Rings. Scenes that are almost identical to Tolkien's but without the storytelling ability of Tolkien. Each book starts exactly the same way. Exactly. The. Same. Way. To be fair it was written awhile ago when Tolkien was basically the epic fantasy template and I have heard the series greatly improves as it goes on. Maybe someday I will continue it.
Shawn
Feb 11, 2010 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit that it took me a few years to get around to actually reading this one all the way through—I was constantly acquiring new books and could not focus on the first book of the series; it was slower than most and had difficulty holding my attention. I recently decided to take up this famous work again, and this time I would not stray until it was completed.

The similarities between The Sword of Shannara Trilogy and another famous body of work can be found at every turn while searching the int
joshigaya
Jan 16, 2016 joshigaya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this series. I started watching the TV adaptation because of Jed Brophy, and though the series has its faults, I was enjoying myself. I then learned the show was based on a book series, and I knew I had to read them. I bought this with high expectations--it had been heralded as a cornerstone of the fantasy genre, after all.

I got about 150 pages in before it started to go downhill. It wasn't the similarity to Tolkien. In fact, The Tolkien comparisons aren't a huge turn off
Chris Witt
A mysterious magic user petitions a simple farming person to help save the world from the powers of darkness.

Where have I heard this story line before?

Anyhow, parts of the book were well-written, but that first line up there was just the first in many instances of what seemed to be direct rip-offs of one very famous fantasy trilogy which this author admits was a big influence on him deciding to become a writer. Witness, for example, the third book in the trilogy - in which the heroine must take
Ben
Nov 14, 2009 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this collection to finish the series after having read Sword. I read Elfstones and, while I thoroughly enjoyed it, decided that I needed to take a break before reading Wishsong. While Elfstones was a good read and much better written than Sword, it had many of the same plot devices and many of the characters from Sword were recycled into "new" characters in Elfstones. I'm guessing that Wishsong will be similar and I'm afraid that if I read them all at once, I'll get annoyed at the si ...more
Will
Sep 04, 2015 Will rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's rare that I leave a full review on here. A book has to be exceptionally good or truly terrible.

Unfortunately this was the Latter. I'm a huge fantasy fan and someone recommended this to me with the immortal tag line " If you liked LOTR you'll love this".
Well of course I would. It's LOTR! A young hero is sent away from the home he loves because his life is in danger from an evil lords creatures ( Check ). He is joined on his journey to a safe haven by his stocky, stout and faithful companion
Zack Parks
Aug 01, 2011 Zack Parks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this ride through the Four Lands. At the very beginning, I did think it felt kinda like a Tolkien rip-off, but that fairly quickly subsided. What struck me the most was the character development. I really liked and related to the main characters in all 3 books of the trilogy. Brooks seems to really love jumping around during exciting moments though, to other story threads, to keep you reading 'till the end. I think I'm invested now in moving on to the Heritage of Shannara four-v ...more
Chad
Jul 28, 2008 Chad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who thot Tolkien was too long winded.
This is like a weird acid-tripped reader's digest version of The Lord of the Rings. Replace "The Ring" with a sword, the wizard with a druid, and hobbits with humans and apparently that is enough to not get sued for copyright infringement.

On the other hand, even though the plot is stolen whole cloth from Tolkien, Brooks is much better at characterization. I remember Allanon and Menion Leah more fondly than Gandalf and Aragorn. The characters definitely carried me through what was an annoyingly
Mary
Mar 05, 2009 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great trilogy. The Sword of Shanarra I actully read back in 1979/1980 time frame and I have to say it drew me into the story just like it did 30 years ago.

This time I noticed that Terry Brooks seemed to like the word awesome alot. I didn't notice this so much the first time I read it probably because I was a teenager and that was literally a major part of my own vocabulary.

The use of awesome did not distract from the story at all and I mean nothing negative by it. It's just an observa
Paul
Nov 22, 2012 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like fantasy based books.
I didn't like this one.
It basically tells the same story three times while switching the coveted object and the names of the characters... every chapter has a deus ex machina getaway. It was pretty obvious that the author tried to emulate Tolkien... tried and completely failed. How I even managed to read all three stories, I'll never know, and now it's something I'll never be able to erase from my memory.
This book was given to me by a friend who obviously just wanted t
Robin
Jan 20, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Difficult one this - I read these books as a teenager and really liked them. It's actually 3 books, and the first - the sword of Shannara is really just a thinly veiled knock off of Lord of the Rings. Re-reading it as an adult was a bit of a disappointment to be honest, but the next book (Elf stones) is actually really good... (still half way through the final book wish song).

Some of Brooks recent books are brilliant, but mostly seem to be based on the same world as his first book. I do think it
Lori
Mar 28, 2010 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series, fiction
A commonly recommended series, I wouldn't disregard it since it has some interesting aspects, such as the role of druids as leaders and various ancient talismans used by characters who are forced to develop in order to prove their worth. (This does not mean that you grow to like the characters, though.) However, the future/add-on series that eventually loop into a yet another, seemingly unaffiliated, further series slowly degrade in the quality vs. quantity of publishing. Quite sad.
Damien Sulla-Menashe
This was a fun series and so easy to read. Each book is a slightly different but similar adventure describing an against all odds battle between good and evil. While I enjoyed the first of these the most, the world Terry Brooks has invented is full of interesting characters and has a well developed backstory. One thing that's very interesting is to see his development as a writer since these were three of his earliest novels before he pursued writing as a full time career.
Mars
Nov 29, 2016 Mars rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
just 60 pages in so far, but it's already terrible. A rope appears out of nowhere, then disappears when one would expect it to still exist. Somewhat repetitive encounters with monsters. Pages-at-a-time of plot lifted almost verbatim from the Lord of the Rings. Reading this is a chore, which I might as well avoid.
Tina Sossomon
Feb 18, 2017 Tina Sossomon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you can force yourself to sit through the first half of the book, the rest of it is awesome! The first half is very slow because it has a lot of set-up for the rest of the series.
Josh
Apr 11, 2009 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Casler got me into this series. It's awesome, and I've enjoyed all of them so far. Keep in mind if you're going to start it that it's a very long series. This is only the beginning.
Jessica Baker
Terry Brooks never fails

Terry can write one hell of an epic fantasy.
This book was a great ending to an amazing trilogy!
I had some much fun reading these books!
Chani
Nov 04, 2015 Chani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Jim Crigler
I wanted to give this book a higher rating. I really did.

But I couldn't. Why? Because of the writing, not the stories. (See below for comments on the stories themselves.) The author seems to have never heard of Strunk & White's 2 most fundamental rules of writing:
1. Omit needless words.
2. Write with nouns and verbs.
There were so many adjectives, adverbs, and prepositional phrases piled on each other that I found myself having to reread long sentences to be able to tell what they were saying.
  • The Sword of Truth Gift Set (Sword of Truth, #1-5)
  • The Belgariad, Vol. 1: Pawn of Prophecy / Queen of Sorcery / Magician's Gambit (The Belgariad, #1-3)
  • The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #1-3)
  • The Riftwar Saga (The Riftwar Saga, #1-4)
  • The Wheel of Time: Boxed Set  (Wheel of Time, #1-8)
  • The Elric Saga Part I (Elric Saga, #1-3)
  • Dragonlance Chronicles (Dragonlance #1-3)
  • The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3)
  • The Icewind Dale Trilogy Collector's Edition (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1-3; Legend of Drizzt, #4-6)
  • Legends of the Dragonrealm, Vol. I
  • The Fionavar Tapestry (The Fionavar Tapestry #1-3)
  • The First Chronicles of Amber (Books 1-5)
  • The Complete Chronicles of Conan
Terry Brooks was born in Illinois in 1944, where he spent a great deal of his childhood and early adulthood dreaming up stories in and around Sinnissippi Park, the very same park that would eventually become the setting for his bestselling Word & Void trilogy. He went to college and received his undergraduate degree from Hamilton College, where he majored in English Literature, and he received ...more
More about Terry Brooks...

The Original Shannara Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Sword of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #1)
  • The Elfstones of Shannara  (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wishsong of Shannara (The Original Shannara Trilogy, #3)

“Love supplies a kind of strength that can withstand even death.” 9 likes