Start by marking “The Non Designer's Web Book: An Easy Guide To Creating, Designing, And Posting Your Own Web Site” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Are you intimidated by the idea of designing for the first time? Do you want to avoid using a lot of code? Do you want to create a personal web site? A business web site? Then this book is the best place to start! Robin and John will lead you on a logical path from planning your site through designing it, posting it on the web, and promoting it.
Paperback
Published January 1st 1998 by Peachpit Press

To ask other readers questions about The Non Designer's Web Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Non Designer's Web Book

Julie Bozza
A terrific introduction to the subject, which would be great for anyone who's new to the whole shebang, or for a techie who is learning about design, or for a designer who is learning about websites.

I learned a few things, didn't agree with a few things, but was generally impressed. There's lots of good information here, and - importantly! - Williams & Tollett don't only explain WHAT but WHY. Not only does this help understanding, but it also helps you then adapt and apply the understanding
D.w.
I've read a few books by Robin Williams (though I should like to read some by the other R.Williams) and I always find them full of information. They give me insights into my use of the computer that I had not thought of, or refreshers that I need.

The usefulness to me is apparent as I look back at the book and see how much I dog eared items to search on the web, or need to remember for my work. The book, as the title states is for us non-designers who are building web pages. I have built quite a
Amanda
As far as web-design books go, this is excellent for beginners who just want to program using software such as Adobe GoLive or Dreamweaver or for people who know HTML and CSS but not how to use the programming software. However, I believe this book is best utilized by someone who actually knows programming language, as it asks you to be capable of doing some basic programming without ever really explaining HTML at all
Tamara
After having been wowed with the Non-Designer's Design Book, I thought this one would blow my mind. But it didn't. It was basically just a rehashing of the same principles, with a lot of rudimentary information about website design that seemed straight out of 1998.

Does this mean I'm not as much of a non-web-designer as I thought, or that the author just needs to get with the times?

I don't think we will ever know...
Altug

It is a decently written book for non designers as the name suggests, not only telling what to do but also explaining the answers of the designing questions as they popped in your mind. I think it is worth for the investment. It might be a good revising book for people who knows about designing and such but needs to refreshen their designing skills.
Chris Amies
A very useful book laying out the principles of good graphic design and typography, aimed at those coming from a non-design background. Illustrated and wittily written. Really could do with an updated edition as this was publishd in 1997 when the WWW was in its infancy.
Corinne
If you've never made a website before or just need a refresher course on basic web design and design principles, this is a good place to start. Not only does it have practical, technical information, it gives you a good foundation for thinking like a web designer.
Catherine
This book taught me to use layers and Dreamweaver and honestly without it I would've been screwed for my Sr. Project which was to create a website for a local business. So I'm really grateful to this book for that reason.
Stephanie
this was useful to me designing my first website along with HTML5 Step by Step. I used that for the code and this to stay within good design standards. It was very helpful and clear to someone very new to web design.
Natalie
Apr 19, 2010 Natalie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning Web Developers
Shelves: technology-books
Most of this book was very basic, but I still learned things from it. The basic parts were very basic. This book would be helpful for someone who has never built a website and would like to learn.
Cara
The vast majority of this book was focused on explaining the basics of the web and giving outdated advice. But there was one chapter on basic design principles that was useful to me.
Sam Johnsson
A decent guide to principles of web layout, but the process is getting really out of date.
Jim
Jim's York Pub Guide owes much to this! Read and studied, autumn 1999.
Teena in Toronto
A basic book on creating, designing and posting a website.
Luke
Haven't got around to finishing for some reason.
Mrs. Riding
Dec 28, 2008 Mrs. Riding marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Doug Johnson
Marat Goya
Marat Goya marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Dimon Yakovlev
Dimon Yakovlev marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Abby Bartholomew
Abby Bartholomew marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Lesley
Lesley added it
Nov 11, 2014
Carrie Miller
Carrie Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • The Design of Sites: Patterns for Creating Winning Web Sites
  • HTML for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
  • Layout Index
  • The Elements of Graphic Design: Space, Unity, Page Architecture, and Type
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving Flexibility and Protecting Against Worst-Case Scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide
  • Information Architecture: Blueprints for the Web
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • Designing Social Interfaces
Robin P. Williams is an American writer of computer-related books. She is particularly known for her manuals of style The Mac is Not a Typewriter and The Non-Designer's Design Book, as well as numerous manuals for various Mac OS operating systems and applications, including The Little Mac Book.

More about Robin P. Williams...
The Non-Designer's Design Book The Mac is Not a Typewriter The Non-Designer's Design & Type Books, Deluxe Edition The Non-Designer's Type Book  The Non-Designer's Presentation Book: Principles for Effective Presentation Design