Start by marking “The Non Designer's Web Book: An Easy Guide To Creating, Designing, And Posting Your Own Web Site” as Want to Read:

Are you intimidated by the idea of designing for the first time? Do you want to avoid using a lot of code? Do you want to create a personal web site? A business web site? Then this book is the best place to start! Robin and John will lead you on a logical path from planning your site through designing it, posting it on the web, and promoting it.
Paperback
Published January 1st 1998 by Peachpit Press

To ask other readers questions about The Non Designer's Web Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Non Designer's Web Book

Julie Bozza
Aug 28, 2012 Julie Bozza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design, websites
A terrific introduction to the subject, which would be great for anyone who's new to the whole shebang, or for a techie who is learning about design, or for a designer who is learning about websites.

I learned a few things, didn't agree with a few things, but was generally impressed. There's lots of good information here, and - importantly! - Williams & Tollett don't only explain WHAT but WHY. Not only does this help understanding, but it also helps you then adapt and apply the understanding
D.w.
May 28, 2011 D.w. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I've read a few books by Robin Williams (though I should like to read some by the other R.Williams) and I always find them full of information. They give me insights into my use of the computer that I had not thought of, or refreshers that I need.

The usefulness to me is apparent as I look back at the book and see how much I dog eared items to search on the web, or need to remember for my work. The book, as the title states is for us non-designers who are building web pages. I have built quite a
Amanda
Jul 14, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As far as web-design books go, this is excellent for beginners who just want to program using software such as Adobe GoLive or Dreamweaver or for people who know HTML and CSS but not how to use the programming software. However, I believe this book is best utilized by someone who actually knows programming language, as it asks you to be capable of doing some basic programming without ever really explaining HTML at all
Tamara
May 15, 2008 Tamara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web, work
After having been wowed with the Non-Designer's Design Book, I thought this one would blow my mind. But it didn't. It was basically just a rehashing of the same principles, with a lot of rudimentary information about website design that seemed straight out of 1998.

Does this mean I'm not as much of a non-web-designer as I thought, or that the author just needs to get with the times?

I don't think we will ever know...
Altug

It is a decently written book for non designers as the name suggests, not only telling what to do but also explaining the answers of the designing questions as they popped in your mind. I think it is worth for the investment. It might be a good revising book for people who knows about designing and such but needs to refreshen their designing skills.
Chris Amies
Jun 03, 2010 Chris Amies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very useful book laying out the principles of good graphic design and typography, aimed at those coming from a non-design background. Illustrated and wittily written. Really could do with an updated edition as this was publishd in 1997 when the WWW was in its infancy.
Catherine
This book taught me to use layers and Dreamweaver and honestly without it I would've been screwed for my Sr. Project which was to create a website for a local business. So I'm really grateful to this book for that reason.
Corinne
Oct 09, 2009 Corinne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you've never made a website before or just need a refresher course on basic web design and design principles, this is a good place to start. Not only does it have practical, technical information, it gives you a good foundation for thinking like a web designer.
Stephanie
this was useful to me designing my first website along with HTML5 Step by Step. I used that for the code and this to stay within good design standards. It was very helpful and clear to someone very new to web design.
Bebe Four
Dec 16, 2013 Bebe Four rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Joel Mitchell
Jan 15, 2016 Joel Mitchell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
This book was very helpful in setting up a website in a way that is useful and aesthetically pleasing. The software operation instructions, however, are horribly out of date.
Teena in Toronto
A basic book on creating, designing and posting a website.
Mrs. Riding
Dec 28, 2008 Mrs. Riding marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by Doug Johnson
Cara
Feb 13, 2011 Cara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: internet-tycoon
The vast majority of this book was focused on explaining the basics of the web and giving outdated advice. But there was one chapter on basic design principles that was useful to me.
Jim
Dec 30, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Jim's York Pub Guide owes much to this! Read and studied, autumn 1999.
Natalie
Aug 03, 2009 Natalie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning Web Developers
Shelves: technology-books
Most of this book was very basic, but I still learned things from it. The basic parts were very basic. This book would be helpful for someone who has never built a website and would like to learn.
Margaret Truett
Margaret Truett rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
Terri Clark
Terri Clark rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2008
Phil South
Phil South rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2010
Natalie
Natalie rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2012
Sophie Pang
Sophie Pang rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2014
Deirdre
Deirdre rated it liked it
Nov 09, 2013
Pedro Nabais
Pedro Nabais rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2013
Samir Raihan
Samir Raihan rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
David Brown
David Brown rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Ntropi
Ntropi rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2014
Mandy
Mandy rated it it was ok
Aug 01, 2015
Audra
Audra rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2007
  • Web Style Guide: Basic Design Principles for Creating Web Sites
  • The Design of Sites: Patterns for Creating Winning Web Sites
  • Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction
  • HTML for the World Wide Web (Visual QuickStart Guides)
  • Layout Index
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving flexibility and protecting against worst-case scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • Designing Web Usability
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interactions
  • The Zen of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web
  • Where the Action Is: The Foundations of Embodied Interaction
  • Agile and Iterative Development: A Manager's Guide (Agile Software Development Series)
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • GUI Bloopers: Don'ts and Do's for Software Developers and Web Designers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Robin P. Williams is an American writer of computer-related books. She is particularly known for her manuals of style The Mac is Not a Typewriter and The Non-Designer's Design Book, as well as numerous manuals for various Mac OS operating systems and applications, including The Little Mac Book.

More about Robin P. Williams...