Start by marking “Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus” as Want to Read:
Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus

Yes, Virginia, There Is A Santa Claus

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  1,670 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
In 1897, a young girl wrote to The New York Sun asking whether Santa Claus truly existed. The paper's response, written by reporter Francis P. Church, has become a beloved holiday literary tradition. An original approach to a children's classic, this captivating book creatively reinterprets that heartwarming letter about the truth behind Santa Claus and Christmas. It is ac ...more
Published August 23rd 2001 by Running Press (first published 1992)

Ken Moten
Now THIS is how you respond when your kids ask you about Santa and you do not want to have to make them cynical ass-holes just yet. This op-ed article responding to a young girls letter concerning Santa Claus was written by Frank Church, a war correspondent of the American Civil War. He had seen some of the worst of humanity of his generation and now he has to look within himself and give not just a response about an old man in a red suit, but a reason for simply believing at all. This book is a ...more
Katy
Dec 17, 2016 Katy rated it really liked it
My Christmas book for today. Lovely message and wonderful illustrations.
Katt
Dec 26, 2008 Katt rated it really liked it
This will be a book I pull out when J. asks me the time old question "Is there really a Santa Claus?"
Anitha  Soundararajan
Feb 22, 2017 Anitha Soundararajan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Written as a response to an eight year old girl's question - "Is there a Santa Claus?", this is a beautifully crafted article by veteran newsman Francis Church.

"Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding."

Kristie Ramsdell
Feb 26, 2017 Kristie Ramsdell rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites and exactly how I feel about the season
Rosa Cline
Jan 28, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas
This book was beautifully illustrated, the story itself is the 1897 editorial from the newspaper THE SUN in response to a letter they received from an 8 year old girl named Virginia asking was there a real Santa Claus. The wording sometimes is words that a child wouldn't be able to understand the meaning of; but the author of this book didn't change the wording from the original editorial as it was printed. The meaning behind the editorial SO many years ago is the same as it is today as the true ...more
Rachel
Dec 13, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This is, of course, a classic editorial on the spirit of Christmas. However, though originally addressed to a child it was never written for that audience, but is most definitely aimed at a much more mature and cynical group. As an editorial, it is a timeless, thought provoking piece of prose, but as a children's picture book, it just didn't work for me.
Sara B
Sep 25, 2011 Sara B rated it it was amazing
This storybook was created because a little girl decided to write a letter to a newspaper and the newspaper not knowing what to do about responding decided they needed to respond but in doing so did not want to squash the Christmas hopes and dreams of children. Very sweet, beautiful pictures and a must read.
Jennifer Hughes
Dec 12, 2013 Jennifer Hughes rated it really liked it
The editorial that is the text for the book is so well-known in our culture. I wanted my kids to know what people meant when they threw out the reference, "yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus." This beautifully illustrated book was a great introduction to Virginia, her letter, and its famous reply.
Joe
Aug 28, 2013 Joe rated it liked it
Quaint, but persuasive, and couched in terms perhaps more suited to the adult readership of the New York Times than its named recipient, VIRGINIA = nonetheless, a compelling annotation on the meaning of Christmastime.
Robin Haase
Dec 21, 2014 Robin Haase rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classic
This is a delightful tale that I enjoyed as a young girl and have read to my children and now read to my grandchild. It was a traumatic event for me when I learned Santa was not real, so when I read this, it set my mind to ease and I could rationalize better between childhood and adult.
Sue
Jul 07, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
Lovely and beautifully illustrated!
Jennybug
This is a wonderful book of the letter written to the New York times, it has wonderful illustrations and I love reading it at Christmas time.
Lauren
Loved this book. Highly recommend for young children.
*Jinglemarco - Nursery rhymes enthusiast*

We can find Santa Claus inside of us, if we want to seek...
Teri
Jul 01, 2008 Teri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Love the illustrations.
Danna
Jan 06, 2009 Danna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic. "In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him..."
Cheryl's
Nov 30, 2016 Cheryl's rated it it was amazing
It still brings tears to my eyes.
Nicole
Feb 08, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Always a favourite.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Dec 07, 2010 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas
A classic Christmas tale of a little girl and her belief in Santa Claus!! Good read!!
Jennifer Wagner
Dec 20, 2013 Jennifer Wagner rated it really liked it
Big words. Little, wonderful sentiment. How could I not love this? We still print it every Christmas Eve in The Patriot Ledger.
Winter Sophia Rose
love it
Amie
Jan 26, 2013 Amie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hope, 3rd-grade
Charming story about a little girl's letter to the New York Sun.
Lesley Looper
Oct 22, 2010 Lesley Looper rated it really liked it
This book almost put me in the holiday spirit here in October! Timeless answer to the longstanding question.
Mary
Jan 30, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Read this story every year, it is quintessentially Christmas.
Lanokie
Aug 09, 2016 Lanokie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1
I like this book.
Sara Friga
Sara Friga rated it did not like it
May 20, 2013
Teresa Culley
Teresa Culley rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
  • The Donkey's Dream
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?
  • The Littlest Angel
  • The Story of Holly and Ivy
  • Christmas in Noisy Village
  • Christmas Oranges
He was born in Rochester, New York and graduated from Columbia College of Columbia University in New York City in 1859.

With his brother William Conant Church he established The Army and Navy Journal in 1863, and Galaxy magazine in 1866 (merged with Atlantic Monthly after 10 years[1]). He was a lead editorial writer on his brother's newspaper, the New York Sun, and it was in that capacity that in 1
More about Francis Pharcellus Church...

“Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS” 5 likes
“VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except what they see. They think nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.”
3 likes