Start by marking “The Member of the Wedding: A Drama” as Want to Read:
The Member of the Wedding: A Drama

The Member of the Wedding: A Drama

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Gangly, outspoken 12-year-old Frankie Addams yearns to belong to the we of me, and in a Southern kitchen, pours her heart out to the family cook, Berenice. One of the most beautiful plays ever written about loneliness and love.
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published December 1st 2001 by LA Theatre Works (first published January 1st 1946)

To ask other readers questions about The Member of the Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Member of the Wedding

Kata
Have you ever seen a photo of Carson McCullers? I didn't until recently. There have been two authors lately that I did not know whether they were women or men. It really did not matter to me because I liked their work. Therefore had no idea whether it was a man or woman who's writing I liked. Then I had a conversation with my boyfriend about Carson McCullers who I called a man and Colum McCann who I called a woman. We had a good laugh at my transgendering authors as I saw fit mentally. But after ...more
Deb
I picked this up on a whim, and finished it in one sitting. I've never seen the play, and saw only a small part of the movie. In fact, I can't remember the last time I read a play. This one is short and simple, despite its complex characters. I can see where it would be a compelling play, and I'm going to try to find the movie on Netflix or in the library. Highly recommended.
Murrill
This is a beautifully written, poignant coming-of-age story. McCullers creates three wonderful characters--a 12-year old girl who struggles to cross the threshold into adulthood, her six-year old male cousin who has wisdom beyond his years, and a black housekeeper who shares her own experiences. The book oozes with symbolism and metaphor. A very smart and insightful piece of work.
Colleen Shaw
I listened to the audio of the play starring Ruby Dee and Jena Malone. It was a wonderful example of the two actors talent but it wasn't my favorite story of adolescence. Some of the crazy, emotional yearning feeling of that period was definitely captured, but Frankie was an odd personality to appreciate.
Carson McCullers is a beautiful writer. I imagine the novel version of A Member of the Wedding is elegant in its construction and smart in its symbolism. As a drama, I'm less sure A Member of the Wedding is so poignant. I think I missed most of what McCullers was trying to say, given that her symbols and characters weren't actively represented to the reader. Much of the action occurs offstage, and few choices are made onstage. When they are made, they rarely have consequences for the people who ...more
Fred
Dusting off and re-reading some of the classics from Carson McCullers. This story focuses on the human need to belong to a group and how it affects a teenage tomboy.
Chris
As I read through this book, I recognized many of the things I liked about earlier Carson McCullers things I had read, but the play format doesn't work as well for her as it does for other writers I've enjoyed who do both. There is a certain lack of character development here, which is really too bad with the types of characters we have here. The three younger characers are fascinating, but don't have enough time to say or do very much. I would like to get the chance to read the story that this ...more
Becky
This isn't the edition of the book that I have. First it's not the play, but it's the only option that doesn't include multiple novels by Carson McCullers. Mine is actually an audio book narrated by Susan Sarandon who does a masterful job of capturing the passion and emotion of the author.

This is a very fine coming-of-age story written in a smooth southern accent through the eyes of Frankie, a.k.a F. Jasmine Adams. But not written in first person. I love McCullers' style, her smooth, warm, descr
Ashley
Eh. It was ok. I think it could've been way better. I guess it was supposed to show the relationship between whites and blacks in the South during the 40's/50's, but I don think it really pushed the envelope on the subject. It wrapped up really suddenly at the end. It was a play so it was short and that's always nice. The main character, Frankie, a 12 year old white girl was incredibly annoying.
Sara
Rarely when reading a play involving young people or children do you see depth of character or the search of the young characters for something. This play is a beautiful exception to the rule. A true "coming of age" story of Frankie, a young girl in a small southern town in the 40's, and her long and painful birth into adulthood. 7 Women, 6 Men.
Linda Blake
I liked this play so much and feel like I will discover something at each experience of it. It captured early adolescent angst, racial inequities, and familial relations. Each character is well developed and real. The author of The Help surely has read McCullers novel or play.
§--
A perceptive take on childhood and being an "other." Only flaw is some clunky exposition in the final Act (but that's the easiest sin for a playwright to commit). A universal story zoomed in on a particular moment (1940's South). Chekhov influence all over it.
Lyn
This is an ensemble performance of the play in an audio version. As plays sometimes must do, the acting is rather 'over the top', as opposed to an audio book which to me, is a -hopefully- wonderfully read story.......I prefer the latter.
Tressa
The story and characters in The Member of the Wedding didn’t interest me. I stopped listening to the audiobook.
Deborah
I actually read the book, not the play, which Goodreads only lists as a combined book with McCullers other works. And it was a really entertaining and aching portrayal of adolescence.
Gina
Love me some Carson McCullers, just not this play.
Norma
excellent, excellent, excellent!
Felicia Chaidez
Felicia Chaidez marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Mj
Mj marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Nahal
Nahal marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Camille Kramig
Camille Kramig marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Wendy Hawkins
Wendy Hawkins marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
  • A Dream Play
  • Black Comedy: A Comedy
  • Toys in the Attic
  • The Dumb Waiter
  • Five Plays: Antigone, Eurydice, The Ermine, The Rehearsal, Romeo and Jeannette
  • Gypsy
  • The Price
  • The Doctor and the Devils
  • Sister Mary Ignatius Explains it All for You & The Actor's Nightmare
  • Plaza Suite
Carson McCullers (February 19, 1917 – September 29, 1967) was an American writer. She wrote fiction, often described as Southern Gothic, that explores the spiritual isolation of misfits and outcasts of the South.

From 1935 to 1937 she divided her time, as her studies and health dictated, between Columbus and New York and in September 1937 she married an ex-soldier and aspiring writer, Reeves McCul
More about Carson McCullers...
The Heart is a Lonely Hunter The Member of the Wedding The Ballad of the Sad Café and Other Stories Reflections in a Golden Eye Collected Stories