Start by marking “The Member of the Wedding: A Drama” as Want to Read:
The Member of the Wedding: A Drama

The Member of the Wedding: A Drama

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Gangly, outspoken 12-year-old Frankie Addams yearns to belong to the we of me, and in a Southern kitchen, pours her heart out to the family cook, Berenice. One of the most beautiful plays ever written about loneliness and love.
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published December 1st 2001 by LA Theatre Works (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Member of the Wedding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Member of the Wedding

julieta
Apr 22, 2016 julieta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-americans
A beautiful story about growing up, or what you call growing pains. I don't remember reading the novel, but I fell in love with Frankie, Berenice, and John Henry <3
Kata
Apr 30, 2012 Kata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever seen a photo of Carson McCullers? I didn't until recently. There have been two authors lately that I did not know whether they were women or men. It really did not matter to me because I liked their work. Therefore had no idea whether it was a man or woman who's writing I liked. Then I had a conversation with my boyfriend about Carson McCullers who I called a man and Colum McCann who I called a woman. We had a good laugh at my transgendering authors as I saw fit mentally. But after ...more
Becky
Oct 13, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the edition of the book that I have. First it's not the play, but it's the only option that doesn't include multiple novels by Carson McCullers. Mine is actually an audio book narrated by Susan Sarandon who does a masterful job of capturing the passion and emotion of the author.

This is a very fine coming-of-age story written in a smooth southern accent through the eyes of Frankie, a.k.a F. Jasmine Adams. But not written in first person. I love McCullers' style, her smooth, warm, descr
Deb
Jun 19, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
I picked this up on a whim, and finished it in one sitting. I've never seen the play, and saw only a small part of the movie. In fact, I can't remember the last time I read a play. This one is short and simple, despite its complex characters. I can see where it would be a compelling play, and I'm going to try to find the movie on Netflix or in the library. Highly recommended.
Mary
Dec 24, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this play, which is based on the author's novel of the same name. Frankie reminded me a lot of myself and my friends when we were children, with her tomboyish ways, her feelings of being excluded, her desire for belonging, and her dreams of running away and finding life better in any place but the one she was in. Her obsession with her brother and his bride could have been creepy and weird, but it came across as such a childlike fantasy that it seemed more endearing than bizarre ...more
R.K. Cowles
4 1/2 stars
Murrill
Apr 25, 2014 Murrill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is a beautifully written, poignant coming-of-age story. McCullers creates three wonderful characters--a 12-year old girl who struggles to cross the threshold into adulthood, her six-year old male cousin who has wisdom beyond his years, and a black housekeeper who shares her own experiences. The book oozes with symbolism and metaphor. A very smart and insightful piece of work.
Colleen Shaw
I listened to the audio of the play starring Ruby Dee and Jena Malone. It was a wonderful example of the two actors talent but it wasn't my favorite story of adolescence. Some of the crazy, emotional yearning feeling of that period was definitely captured, but Frankie was an odd personality to appreciate.
Apr 01, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Carson McCullers is a beautiful writer. I imagine the novel version of A Member of the Wedding is elegant in its construction and smart in its symbolism. As a drama, I'm less sure A Member of the Wedding is so poignant. I think I missed most of what McCullers was trying to say, given that her symbols and characters weren't actively represented to the reader. Much of the action occurs offstage, and few choices are made onstage. When they are made, they rarely have consequences for the people who ...more
Fred
Aug 06, 2014 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dusting off and re-reading some of the classics from Carson McCullers. This story focuses on the human need to belong to a group and how it affects a teenage tomboy.
Chris
Feb 28, 2009 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I read through this book, I recognized many of the things I liked about earlier Carson McCullers things I had read, but the play format doesn't work as well for her as it does for other writers I've enjoyed who do both. There is a certain lack of character development here, which is really too bad with the types of characters we have here. The three younger characers are fascinating, but don't have enough time to say or do very much. I would like to get the chance to read the story that this ...more
Steven
Oct 24, 2015 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, american, women
Excellent tale of an energetic, perhaps bipolar, child who longs to escape her humdrum existence in a small southern town.
Kathy
Jul 24, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such interesting characters----they way they all think is very clear in the writing.
Andrew
Sep 19, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
This is the play, I've never read the novel.
Ashley
May 03, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Eh. It was ok. I think it could've been way better. I guess it was supposed to show the relationship between whites and blacks in the South during the 40's/50's, but I don think it really pushed the envelope on the subject. It wrapped up really suddenly at the end. It was a play so it was short and that's always nice. The main character, Frankie, a 12 year old white girl was incredibly annoying.
Sara
Aug 10, 2007 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
Rarely when reading a play involving young people or children do you see depth of character or the search of the young characters for something. This play is a beautiful exception to the rule. A true "coming of age" story of Frankie, a young girl in a small southern town in the 40's, and her long and painful birth into adulthood. 7 Women, 6 Men.
Linda Blake
May 03, 2012 Linda Blake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this play so much and feel like I will discover something at each experience of it. It captured early adolescent angst, racial inequities, and familial relations. Each character is well developed and real. The author of The Help surely has read McCullers novel or play.
§--
Sep 14, 2011 §-- rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
A perceptive take on childhood and being an "other." Only flaw is some clunky exposition in the final Act (but that's the easiest sin for a playwright to commit). A universal story zoomed in on a particular moment (1940's South). Chekhov influence all over it.
Lyn
Aug 14, 2013 Lyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is an ensemble performance of the play in an audio version. As plays sometimes must do, the acting is rather 'over the top', as opposed to an audio book which to me, is a -hopefully- wonderfully read story.......I prefer the latter.
Tressa
Dec 25, 2013 Tressa rated it it was ok
The story and characters in The Member of the Wedding didn’t interest me. I stopped listening to the audiobook.
Deborah
Dec 11, 2012 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually read the book, not the play, which Goodreads only lists as a combined book with McCullers other works. And it was a really entertaining and aching portrayal of adolescence.
Gina
Jan 11, 2013 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Love me some Carson McCullers, just not this play.
Norma
Jun 17, 2009 Norma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent, excellent, excellent!
Zack Brown
Aug 24, 2014 Zack Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poignant callousness
Leo Dunsker
Leo Dunsker rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Victoria
Victoria rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2016
Belinda Matlock
Belinda Matlock marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Emily L.
Emily L. marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Thomas Bosson
Thomas Bosson rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
William Tatsch
William Tatsch rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
  • Toys in the Attic
  • Plays 5: Arcadia / The Real Thing / Night and Day / Indian Ink / Hapgood
  • Bell, Book and Candle
  • Waiting for Lefty and Other Plays
  • Four Plays: Come Back, Little Sheba / Picnic / Bus Stop / The Dark at the Top of the Stairs
  • Naked Masks: Five Plays
  • The Miser and Other Plays
  • The Doctor and the Devils
  • The Boys in the Band
  • Sister Mary Ignatius Explains it All for You & The Actor's Nightmare
Carson McCullers was an American who wrote fiction, often described as Southern Gothic, that explores the spiritual isolation of misfits and outcasts of the South.

From 1935 to 1937 she divided her time, as her studies and health dictated, between Columbus and New York and in September 1937 she married an ex-soldier and aspiring writer, Reeves McCullers. They began their married life in Charlotte,
More about Carson McCullers...