Start by marking “The Naked Chef Takes Off” as Want to Read:
The Naked Chef Takes Off

The Naked Chef Takes Off

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,009 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
In The Naked Chef Takes Off, Oliver returns to offer readers more easy and delicious stripped-down recipes. Oliver features mouthwatering breakfasts, tapas, roasts, fish, and desserts. Each recipe is accompanied by Oliver's commentary, which will encourage and inspire cooks of all levels! The Naked Chef Takes Off has sold more than 150,000 copies in hardcover in the U.S.
Published September 1st 2005 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Naked Chef Takes Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naked Chef Takes Off

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
223rd out of 1,009 books — 995 voters
The Coldest Winter Ever by Sister SouljahPush by SapphireTrue to the Game by Teri WoodsB-More Careful by Shannon HolmesThe Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X
Good Urban Literature
122nd out of 146 books — 262 voters

More lists with this book...

Klinta
Jul 01, 2015 Klinta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Jamie and his thoughts about veg and home cooking.

In this book though everything is so... Italian? Well I don't like pancetta or Parma ham, honestly, I don't like any cured, hard meats. But most of the recipes have them, which is a little sad for my home cooking.

And since I have worked in quite a few kitchens now already, some of the things were familiar to me already (but that is not a bad thing, I just got a bit more inspired to do something like that at home as well).

Nevertheless, the
Jaya K
Jan 10, 2015 Jaya K rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The first cookbook I cooked almost half the recipes from. So much yum. Reads like lit--apparently he speaks his recipes aloud and they're written by someone else. Could be urban myth.
Jimmy van der Hoeven
Zelfgemaakte chocoladetaart op mijn verjaardag!! :)

Prachtige gerechten ook, maar al die ingredienten...bijna onmogelijk te verkrijgen jammer genoeg.
Cristina
Nov 02, 2015 Cristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, library-book
It is actually a bit above 3.5 stars! It is a nice book, nice new recipes, but not so much different from the previous one.
Jamie is
Jun 29, 2015 Jamie is rated it really liked it
Ate adaptations of most of these recipes when I had a vegan roommate who also cooked everyday.
Fortheloveofdanes
Mar 11, 2015 Fortheloveofdanes rated it it was amazing
I love all of his cook books, simple, raw and outstanding
pommito
Apr 08, 2014 pommito rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
My first Jamie's book while I live in London
Theresa Stevens
Sep 28, 2012 Theresa Stevens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
This is the last purchased book of Jamie Oliver's cooking in my bookshelf. I bought this hard copy soon after it was out on the shelves in 2000. Again a cute book with lots of delicious looking pictures. Wow, I still have a marker in on p.219 'baked carrots with cumin, thyme, butter and Chardonnay'! Sometimes it is difficult to know how to present vegetables in a different, interesting, tasty way.
I even tried his Chocolate twister bread - turn out was interesting, but I am not the official bread
Lwg
Sep 24, 2014 Lwg rated it liked it
Even if you're not a fan of Jamie Oliver, this book has a good range of basic recipes and lots of ideas for informal entertaining, although there's a bit too much of the 'pile it all on a plate and invite everyone to share' approach.
Kecia
Sep 06, 2011 Kecia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I love pasta. I can eat it everyday and be happy. This book is full of great pasta recipes. I have now prepared all of them and they are all winners! I also made the roasted beets this summer and it was to die for. Even those who think they don't like beets would probably love Jamie's recipe.

I'm now starting on some of the starters and snacks.

This is one my favorite all time cookbooks.
Stacy
Dec 09, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I got this as a birthday present when I was 16. Stared at the beautiful pictures for ages, and when I began actually making some of the recipes, found they were excellent as well. I am especially fond of the Roast Chicken, the Asian salad (I add noodles for a no-cook meatless dinner), and the Pukkolla, best make-ahead breakfast ever.
Ms.
Sep 06, 2008 Ms. rated it it was amazing
Jamie's way of cooking - a glob of this and a crank of that...it's right up my alley. Everything I've made that's been inspired by this book has been freakin' fabulous. My fave is the avocado/watercress/new potato salad - just toss it all together with some good olive oil, fresh lemon, salt and peppa! Mmmmmmm......
emily
Mar 11, 2009 emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
brother got me this for christmas- haven't done even a fraction of the recipes yet, but just from reading it i can tell i'm going to love it. everything looks so tasty and he explains it all so i think even an extreme novice would be able to do a lot of the recipes. jamie oliver is my jam!
Elizabeth
Dec 10, 2006 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Foodies
Shelves: cookbooks
My favorite and only cookbook. I love the ravioli with ricotta cheese and pine nuts and basil. Also I've made the pot roast with peaches and sunchokes, which taste like really savory potatoes. Its delicious slathered in peach juice. Yummy.
Maddy
Nov 19, 2013 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
This is a re-read for me -- Thanksgiving is next week! This book taught me how to make the bomb baked chicken with lemon, I highly recommend it. A little more free-form than most cookbooks, but lots of fun and great pictures.
Clare
May 28, 2010 Clare rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, food
This book, known as The Return of the Naked Chef where I come from, is the Jamie Oliver book I use most frequently, except perhaps Jamie's Dinners. The latter section on sauces, pickles, dips etc is outstanding.
Peter
May 07, 2010 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves cooking!
Shelves: cooking, books-i-own
This is a very worthwhile cook- book. Packed with all the recipes that hve hallmarks of Jamies simple yet delicious style, this will keep any keen cook occupied for a long while to come.
Valerie
Sep 09, 2010 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Although Jamie is adorable and his recipes are lovely/easy, I found it somehow obnoxious that all receipes imitated his actual way of speaking - casual, choppy, a little too cute.
Maya Dellor
May 20, 2012 Maya Dellor rated it liked it
Most of the recipes are pretentious and impractical but the basics like bread, pizza and pasta (without the expensive sauces and toppings) are explained well.
Lisa's book adventures
Jun 14, 2015 Lisa's book adventures rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Always delicious recipes, and non deceiving pictures; it shows the food in a 'I could have made this' way.
Success guaranteed with this book.
Erin
Oct 05, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
this is a tricky book to cook with - as several of the recipes include errors - but the photos and the ideas are fun, and the layout is pretty
Missy
Jan 22, 2010 Missy rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I enjoyed the recipes in here and have had trouble deciding what to make first! I borrowed it from the library and I would like to buy a copy.
Megan
May 13, 2009 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Jamie's recipes are easy to follow. The risotto recipes are delicious and simple to make. The photography in this book is wonderful.
Steph Fisher
May 22, 2007 Steph Fisher rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: foodies
I sat down and read this cookbook like a novel, it was that entertaining. Beautiful pictures, delicious recipes and instructions.
Naomi
Jun 07, 2012 Naomi rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Got a few good recipes out of this, that I am looking forward to trying. I do like Jamie Oliver and his yummy food!
Lynda
Dec 13, 2011 Lynda rated it it was amazing
One of the best cookbooks I have read in years. Has a veritable forest of tags for recipes I am going to try.
Anne
Sep 02, 2007 Anne rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I like this cookbook, I don't use it as heavily as some of my others but it has some gems in there!
  • Forever Summer
  • The Cook's Companion
  • Thai Food
  • Moro: The Cookbook
  • Apples for Jam: A Colorful Cookbook

James Trevor "Jamie" Oliver, sometimes known as The Naked Chef, is an English chef and media personality well known for his growing list of food-focused television shows, his more recent roles in campaigning against the use of processed foods in national schools, and his ca
More about Jamie Oliver...