One on One

One on One

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  706 ratings  ·  58 reviews
A high school basketball star and a defiant outcast discover a profound love that sustains them through a triumphant but painful year.
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published May 1st 1993 by HighBridge Company (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about One on One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One on One

Lee Ann
This is considered adult fiction, but has one of the best ever young adult love stories in it set against a backdrop of high school basketball. I read it one spring just after it came out and both the NCAA and the NBA championships were over and I was in basketball withdrawal. The hero is dyslexic and has a crazy mixed up family of a loveable sort and the heroine is one of the most complex and screwed up - think Raeanne from "My So-Called Life" but wayyyy more messed up and way more, well, pierc...more
Nancy
Among my favorite books of all time; one that lives on the "comfort reads" shelf. When I lost my copy, I got another one in hardcover.
Hallie Winchell
A pivotal coming of age novel about the way relationships in a teen's life can be life changing -- for better & for worse. The characters are strong & significantly well developed. Tabitha King is a very good author, who builds a world that entrances the reader immediately, drawing the audience into a place where we don't even question the need to suspend any disbelief: we just run with her narrative and don't look back. I believe this is an interesting novel for teens or young adults, a...more
Darling Cruella
This is one of my favorite reads. It's beautiful and haunting with the imagery that King uses in depicting how two mismatched kids fall in love against a backdrop of basketball, emotional woes, abuse, and high school. The characters are wonderfully rendered in all their imperfections and the love story is so bittersweet that the ending will leave you with a permanent ache in your heart. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to read something that's not perfect by any means, but definitely...more
Donna Burtwistle-Popplewell
I am so grateful for Sue D. for recommending this novel to me. As my book club was discussing a short story by Stephen King, we stumbled upon the fact that his wife was also a writer. Tabitha King has compiled an amazing story here. Would I have ever picked up a 440-page novel about basketball? Not likely...but I am so happy that I did. Obviously, this book is about far more than basketball. It is about two young high school players: Sam Styles and Deani "The Mutant". Both seniors, Sam is the re...more
Laylah
Mixed feeling. The story drags towards the end. Love the hero, sympathetic to the heroine. However, they're wrong for each other. No, as a matter of fact she's wrong for him. But I'm not going to complain about that. Mismatch couples happen all the time, in books and real life.

Bad things happen to them. A lot. Sometimes over-the-top bad. Everything in this book is extreme, the personality of characters, the mood swings, the language. Not a single kid in the school (or in other schools for that m...more
Autumn Doughton
When I first picked this book up, I was jostled by the tense that it was written in, the artistic, gritty descriptions, and the strangely different female protagonist. About 40 pages in, I found the flow of the writing and I was completely taken by the story.
It was brilliant and I'm so glad that I discovered how talented MRS. King is!
Pamela
This book is heartbreakingly well written and contains the truest, most beautiful depiction of teenage relationships I've ever read (plus some of the best love scenes).
Pam Nugent
This is one of my favourite books. I just love the interplay between the family members and that time in your life going from high school to real life.
Elizabeth
Basketball superstar of a State Champion winning team decides to make sure the girls' team also wins a State Title but ends up lusting over (and loving) a girl called "The Mutant." Deannie, "The Mutant," comes from an awful family. Her step-dad verbally, physically, and sexually abuses her, her mother is in a drug-addled stupor, and she barely has enough to eat. She doesn't trust that Sam actually might like her, nose ring, face chains, tattoos, and all.

This book made me uncomfortable, but I th...more
John Wood
For years I have been curious about Tabitha King and finally read one of her books. "One on One" is a great book with well defined characters and an interesting story. It is an edgy teen romance by two star highschool basketball players who seem to have nothing but basketball in common. He is a fairly straight-laced greasemonkey and she is a potsmoking freak with a shaved head and a toxic homelife. AS we experience the interplay of the teens in the school, we witness a realistic interplay of dru...more
Jeff Curtis
This was the first book I read from Tabitha King. I liked it. I would have changed the ending a little bit. I would have had Sam being o.k. from his jump off the beam in the mill. Maybe an injury that he would heal from after a few weeks at the most. Not permanently leaving him unable to play basketball. I don't feel it was necessary to the story line for Sam to become injured like that.

I'm glad that Sam and Deanie are still together at the end. I also like the fact that Tony got his in the end....more
David
Having read this book a while back I did not remember that I'd read it when I joined Goodreads. I really enjoyed this book. My only problem with it was that I was sure that it was at least in part written by Stephen. I'd read another book by Tabitha and this one did not seem to have the same rhythm as the other. This one had the rhythm of Stephen's writing. Guess we'll never know the answer to that question.
Amanda
I didn't read about this book enough before starting, and had the mistaken impression it was going to be light reading. On the contrary - it's dense writing and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with a low tolerance for sex, drugs, child abuse, violence, swearing, weird slang, or detailed descriptions of basketball games. If you can handle those things, though, the character development and arc is unmatched.
Karen
I really loved this book.I read it years ago, and it one of those novels that stays with a person long after the book is closed. It was my first foray into Tabitha King, and I was more than pleased. I was raised on a farm near a small town where basketball was king...this came to life for me...
Melanie
I first read this book in high school, and I read it several times. I recently purchased a copy and finished it again. I will agree with some other reviewers and say that the story does drag a bit at the end. But I. LOVE. THIS. BOOK! I love Deanie, and how real and raw she is. As the story unfolds, you can understand exactly why she is the way she is, and why she makes the (poor) decisions she makes. And Sam is a classic hero- honorable and moral but with this own flaws and weaknesses that make...more
Jennifer Day
I found this book and realized it was written by Stephen King's wife and read it for no other reason than that. I fell deeply in love with this story of a boy and a girl who on the outside couldn't be more different. The love and acceptance they find in each other is inspiring. The story is multi-faceted and very well written. I found myself finished with it much faster than I realized because the story is fast paced and there are a few different points in the novel where I just couldn't stop re...more
Nafeisha Le maitre
another book i have to re-read. Read this when its all i did in my free time. Awesome story.
Steven
Read it long ago, but really liked it, remember it after all these years
Liz
You probably never heard of Tabitha King, but she has a great series for those who like a little more soap opera and fewer monsters. No horror -- at least just the regular human kind, nothing supernatural. This book comes near the end of a series about three generations of a rural town in Maine. I like the book Pearl the best, but I re-read this one periodically too. A violent love story between teen basketball players who've got a few problems... and as a bonus for King addicts, their team play...more
Catherine Watkins
Great coming of age story - Gritty and Raw but a true love story...
Sherry Chiger
Tabitha King's previous (and sadly, subsequent) novels only hinted at the wealth of insight and evocation that has made One on One among my favorite books. The characters are fully developed and believable; the events in which they are caught up and/or instigate come across as natural outcomes of their nature and their milieu. And in Deanie, the female protagonist, King has created one of the most memorable and realistic adolescents in fiction, one I want to spend more time with and watch come o...more
Nancy
I devoured this book. What a powerful description of teen feelings and the absolute horror that some children live with every day. Because of my age, I don't have contact with adolescents, and although these same problems have always been present in our lives, the prevalence has increased over the past fifty years. Ms. King has brought the characters of Deanie & Sam to life on the page. She makes us a part of the development of their relationship. I will certainly read more of Tabitha King's...more
Stephanie "Jedigal"
I don't know how I missed adding this to my 'read' list! I thought this was fabulous. I hadn't realized that Mrs. King was also an author, and what a great introduction to her. Frankly I thought her fiction writing was up there with, maybe even surpassing her husband's best (of what portion of his work I have read). She brings characters and events to life in a thorough, realistic, heart-rending gripping way that really impressed me. Highly recommend!
Melissa
Sam is the high school basketball star, Deannie is the troubled girl who is also a basketball star. And Deannie has a horrible mother, molesting mother's boyfriend, has manged to make herself look like a freak and Sam wants her in every way; no matter how many times she turns him down. I read this book when it first came out and couldn't put it down, it was a very tense and different book. Worth the read. If I could give it 3 1/2 stars I would.
Emma
Just a tad too much swearing for my particular tastes, but I know the Kings like their language Fruity and so I forgive... I liked this coming of age story,not a drop of saccharin in this taut tale about love and baskets... I left this wishing the protaganists well , but my particular penchant for supporting Characters was also fulfilled to the Max...When characterisation is this rich, it could not fail to be a winner!
Goldingurl
I was pleasantly surprised reading this book, i wasn't sure what i would think of it but was blown out of the water when i did read it. I really did love this story I can't say exactly it was that made me love it so i just know that i do. I didn't think i would care about teenagers playing basketball but Mrs King makes it hard not to the characters you fall in love with are always the ones you never suspect to.
part time librarian
Read this years ago and still have it, and Yes, I read this first because S.King is and always will be my favorite author but, after I started this book then I forgot all about him and got sucked into this story. It is really a great book and I so enjoyed the tough girl in the book. So I now have all of Tabitha's books, ha ha! she needs to write more!!
Jen
After initially rating my first Tabitha King Survivor rather low, I had to boost the star count as I continue to think about the book and her characters live on. I decided to give this one a safe three stars and I will have to ruminate on this one to see if it goes down or up in my estimation with time.
Susan
I found this book in a used paperback store and figured I would give it a try. The subject matter was so out of my typical genre's, I didn't have much hope. I ended up loving it and not being able to put it down! Very engrossing, it's going to be one of those books that I reread multiple times.
  • Almost Paradise
  • Bare Bones: Conversations on Terror with Stephen King
  • Farewell Horizontal
  • The Proud Breed
  • All the Broken Things
  • Dangerous Pleasures (The Channel #4)
Tabitha King (née Tabitha Jane Spruce) is an American author, the wife of author Stephen King and the mother of authors Joe Hill and Owen King (her daughter is Naomi King).

Tabitha King was born Tabitha Jane-Frances Spruce in Old Town, Maine. She was born to Raymond George and Sarah Jane White Spruce and is one of eight children.

Her primary education took place at St. Mary’s Grammar in Old Town, fr...more
More about Tabitha King...
Candles Burning Pearl The Book of Reuben Small World The Trap