Start by marking “Shame of Man (Geodyssey, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shame of Man (Geodyssey, #2)

Shame of Man (Geodyssey #2)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  932 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The bestselling author of the Xanth series offers a monumental sequel to Isle of Woman. Beginning with humankind's earliest ancestors, Shame of Man follows two lovers, Hugh and Ann, as they struggle to preserve their family and way of life during some of the most turbulent periods of our savage past.
Published October 1st 1994 by Tor Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Shame of Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shame of Man

Joey
Jun 27, 2007 Joey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are simply amazing. The concept sounds gimmicky, but it works quite well. The trilogy follows a family through the eons of human development. At the beginning, they are pre-human primates, and each chapter finds them evolving gradually through history and even (by the end of book 3) into our future. The story takes up generally where it left off, although the protagonists are in different times and sometimes places with each new chapter.

The result is a sweeping epic that examines wh
Dani
Mar 15, 2012 Dani rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The concept of the book is great, it's what I loved about the first one. Shame of Man though became one of those books I had to force myself to finish because I had started it. Pretty much every six pages involved attempted rape or "they had sex", to the point where it was turned into a drinking game. There really wasn't much of a story to this book, it just followed Hue and his woe-is-me tale about being left-handed during different time periods and how they adapted to the climate/terrain chang ...more
Delicious Strawberry
This was a rather good book and a decent follow-up to Isle of Woman. I actually enjoyed the more primitive parts of this book (the ones that happened more than 10,000 years ago), because after that, the stories have a lot of smut in them. Not that adult stuff is bad, since most of us are adults, but I do wish that Mr. Anthony would rely on it less as a plot device, he uses it SO much in most if not all of his books, and it gets really old.

I mean, after a while, I was getting REALLY tired of read
Shannon McGee
Jul 02, 2008 Shannon McGee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fiction History lovers
This book is sequel to Isle of Woman, which I did like a lot This one was good but not as good as the first. Shame of Man mostly revolved around the character Hue, or Hugh or other variations of his was used also. Revolving around one character made it different from the first book because the first had two main characters and it was more of a love story. This one was more about struggles of man versus evil or man vs. survival. There was more history and mythology involved in this also, which I ...more
Jeremiah Johnson
I've come to realize that Piers Anthony is a dirty old man. There wasn't as much sex and rape as was in the first book, but still more than was necessary (none would have probably been just fine.)
The storyline in this book is much more congruous throughout the ages unlike the first one. This made it easier to relate to the new surroundings.
The history presented is very interesting.
One thing I can't stand in books are flashbacks to things that happened earlier in the book. This happens nearly ev
Thomas Quatrale
May 23, 2014 Thomas Quatrale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the Geodyssey series, following Isle of Woman.
More of the same, following Mankind though pre history and history with different locales and some new characters who get reincarnated over and over, as we follow them though time. Truly a unique series, and worth a read on that basis alone. Sticks with the original theme that the same traits that allowed Man to be so successful are also the same traits that may now be leading to his ultimate destruction.
Patricia Lemieux
This is the follow-on book to Isle of Women. Both cover thousands of years of history. From the historical standpoint they're very interesting to read how man progresses through the centuries. Some of his conjectures are based on archaeological research and are fascinating. These are not quick reads though, it took me almost three weeks to make it through 400 pages.
Jessica
It almost scares me how many Piers Anthony books I have read, and I've learned one thing while doing so; That the man has very interesting ideas, but tends to write tedious stories that all feel the same (protagonist men that an inordinate amount of women are inexplicably drawn to, female characters that are more like the idea of a person than an actual person, rape, and men faced with oversexed young girls who are weak). I really enjoyed the idea of mankind's story told through the experiences ...more
Maggie
Oct 21, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
reread. huge slog this time-i wonder why I enjoyed it so as a teenager?
John Dixon
Jun 29, 2014 John Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's refreshing to see someone doing a project that they want to do for their own satisfaction. I enjoyed it, but you can see the seams sometimes. I couldn't always tell whether it was intentional or not. I will probably read the next one after a break.
Ruth
May 29, 2007 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I've never been a big fan of science fiction, but this is definitely an exception. Such an interesting concept. Spanning over millions of years, each book involves a theme and a single set of characters living life through several diffent time periods throughout world history. Although very entertaining and enjoyable, I found myself learning a bit too.
Angela Ferrari
Aug 05, 2015 Angela Ferrari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. It was interesting that the same characters and situations were used in the different time frames throughout history. That was a nice touch
Theresa
Sep 12, 2011 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
the shame of man is more environmentally lecturing, with out the gruesome cannibalism, it does explain the contradiction of man and his ideology of humanity.
Jams
DNF---I loved the first book in this series so much. I am surprised that this book just isn't as interesting. It is repetitive and rather dirty.
Karlheinz Kobras
Again a nice way to teach history. Some events are covered and again always the "same" people are attending.
Oct 17, 2009 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historic-fiction
Not as good as the first one, but still very enjoyable.
Lauren Willshire
Jul 11, 2011 Lauren Willshire marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Slow but informative.
Shawn
May 25, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young adult 10-15
David
David rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Michael McCloskey
Michael McCloskey rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Zach
Zach added it
May 23, 2016
Tonya
Tonya marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Kathleen E Bartsch
Kathleen E Bartsch marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Tamra Dougherty
Tamra Dougherty marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Jennifer Burgess
Jennifer Burgess rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Cassandra Allmond
Cassandra Allmond rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Christopher Phillips
Christopher Phillips marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Jan
Jan added it
Apr 27, 2016
  • Song of the River (Storyteller Trilogy, #1)
  • Wolves of the Dawn
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Daughter of Kura: A Novel
  • The Day of Their Return
  • Picture Maker
  • Legends II: Dragon, Sword and King
  • In Other Worlds (Radix, #2)
  • Atlantis and Other Places: Stories of Alternate History
  • Sword & Blood: The Vampire Musketeers
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Codex Derynianus: Being a Comprehensive Guide to the Peoples, Places & Things of the Derynye & the Human Worlds
  • War of the Maelstrom (Changewinds, #3)
  • All a Woman Wants
  • The Riddle and the Rune (Gom, #2)
  • What Happened in History
  • The Immaculate
  • Waiting for Yesterday

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Geodyssey (5 books)
  • Isle of Woman (Geodyssey, #1)
  • Hope of Earth (Geodyssey, #3)
  • Muse of Art (Geodyssey, #4)
  • Climate of Change (Geodyssey, #5)