Start by marking “La voce del violino” as Want to Read:
La voce del violino

La voce del violino (Commissario Montalbano #4)

4.01  ·  Rating Details ·  4,130 Ratings  ·  260 Reviews
«Il commissario invece era di Catania, di nome faceva Salvo Montalbano, e quando voleva capire una cosa, la capiva». Questo «capire» di Montalbano, essendo fondamentalmente una immersione ambientale, un annusare, un soppesare a occhio, è distante dallo «spiegare» deduttivo dei segugi di impostazione scientifica. Ma non collima neppure col simpatetico «comprendere» dei dete ...more
Paperback, La memoria #401, 209 pages
Published December 12th 1997 by Sellerio (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about La voce del violino, please sign up.

Lyn Elliott Hi Adi. Yes you can read this as a stand alone, but there are familiar characters and patterns that you won't pick up unless you've read others. I…moreHi Adi. Yes you can read this as a stand alone, but there are familiar characters and patterns that you won't pick up unless you've read others. I think once you've got the hang of the characters it won't matter what order you read them in, but there will be gaps in what you know.
There's a television series too, if you can get hold of it.
Lyn(less)

Leslie
Jan 29, 2013 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leslie by: dad
Shelves: mysteries, italian
In addition to a very good 'whodunit', I love all the food references in these Inspector Montelbano books.
Marwan
Dec 11, 2015 Marwan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think I ever laughed when reading a novel. I mean , all the book that I've read have the thrill and the twists, but sense of humor, that's something you don't often find in mystery novels. In addition the writing is so smooth that makes you want to read more. I also liked the Italian food references, which made me search for them in the internet and wanting to try them.
The protagonist, Inspector Montalbano is an interesting character. And the events in the plot will make you engaged till
Lyn Elliott
Jan 31, 2017 Lyn Elliott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, italy
I enjoy the Montalbano books, where I find myself matching the descriptions of the characters and favourite places (restaurants, cafes, the beach), crime scenes and the police headquarters with the tv series.
This has many familiar threads, ill-chosen lovers, Sicilian heat, corruption and food. I have read this out of sequence so was not familiar with some elements of the story (a possible adoption, the current state of Montalbano's relationship with his absent love) Those things didn't matter a
Nancy Oakes
Although this one is not quite as humorous as its predecessors, it continues Camilleri's most excellent writing and delves more into the characters previously introduced. This installment is much more focused on plot, although it does bring out Montalbano's more sensitive and compassionate side as he focuses on a most difficult personal issue carried over from events that began in The Snack Thief.

The story begins when Gallo, the Vigata station's official driver, picks up the Inspector to drive h
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
4th in the Inspector Montalbano series.[return][return]Montalbano and Gallo are on their way to a funeral. Thanks to Gallo s mania for speed, they inadvertently crash into a parked car, causing extensive damage to both cars. Still, the police car can move, and they proceed to the funeral after Montalbano conscientiously leaves a note with his name and phone number under the windshield wiper of the other car. But when they return, there is no sign that the owner has even been near the car.[return ...more
Pvw
Aug 17, 2013 Pvw rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective, crime
Hey that was nice! I was expecting something that met the standard of many modern police detective stories, like the Dutch Pieter Aspe and Toni Coppers, or more internationally Donna Leon, Karin Slaughter, Nicci French and the like. Those are generally awful and have badly written dialogue. Camilieri, however, writes rather natural dialogues and one can even imagine real people actually talking, joking and discussing with one another in that manner.

In this story, a beautiful young woman is found
Monica
Jun 06, 2011 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Voice of the Violin" is the fourth book in Andrea Camilleri's Inspector Salvo Montalbano series. The plot in this book is stronger than ever and Montalbano and other recurring characters continue to grow and become move vivid. You can't help but fall in love with Montalbano and the rough exterior he presents in order to hide the caring and attentive cop he is inside.

Yet another aspect of Camilleri's books that i love is the fast pace. The books in this series flow so smoothly...never too many
Damiana
Mar 21, 2013 Damiana rated it really liked it
Shelves: rc-monografia
La quarta indagine del commissario Montalbano è una nuova conferma della bravura di Camilleri. Il bello di questo romanzo? Non tanto l'indagine in sè (complessa e ben strutturata, con personaggi ben delineanti e un finale inaspettato), quanto la descrizione fatta dall'autore della Sicilia, dei suoi colori e della sua cucina. E poi, alzi la mano chi, dopo aver letto almeno uno dei libri di Montalbano, non ha inserito parole siciliane nelle proprie frasi? Infine, una menzione d'onore per Catarella ...more
Piperitapitta
Oct 24, 2014 Piperitapitta rated it really liked it
Alla fine, nei gialli di Camilleri, la cosa meno importante �� la scoperta del colpevole. Lo dimostra il fatto che, nonostante avessi a suo tempo visto il film tv e molto probabilmente letto anche il libro, e vagamente ricordassi persino chi era l'assassino, l'abbia letto con passione e pieno coinvolgimento.
In fondo in fondo, nei gialli di Camilleri, il delitto �� solo un pretesto per descrivere uno spaccato di umanit�� variegata e contraddittoria e per rappresentare un angolo di Sicilia nella q
Anna [Floanne]

Questo è il quarto libro della serie di Montalbano che leggo in poco più di un mese. Rispetto agli altri episodi, ammetto che mi è piaciuto meno, forse perché fin da subito mi è parsa chiara e scontata la soluzione del caso. Ciononostante, Camilleri è indiscutibilmente un grande della letteratura italiana e il suo stile, che per anni avevo incautamente snobbato, mi piace sempre di più: incisivo, divertente, arguto, brillante, unico, merita assolutamente tutta la mia stima. Voto: 3.5 stelle
Carey Combe
I've read better.
Gayle
May 03, 2015 Gayle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cracking on with this series and enjoying every one. Can't put them down so they are finished very quickly!
AC
Feb 27, 2012 AC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
wonderful little book. A bit slighter than the previous ones in the series, but just as masterful (in fact, more so) in execution. Camilleri é il maestro...
Djohns
Mar 15, 2017 Djohns rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The perfect companion for a trip to Italy. The author keeps you turning the page and a good insight into Sicilian life.
Richard Derus
Oct 04, 2010 Richard Derus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book Report: Inspector Montalbano, adjusting to a new climate both professional and personal, is presented with a dilemma: How can he officially take note of a crime he discovers when committing a crime himself? He resolves to solve a horrible, seemingly inexplicable murder, one that truly makes your heart hurt, and yet faces mounting problems within his new professional situation. In the end, he takes his lowest, to date, policemanly ebb and turns it into the routing of forces arrayed again ...more
Paola
Jan 07, 2017 Paola rated it really liked it
Shelves: paper
Sto lentamente leggendo tutta la serie dei libri su Montalbano, intervallandoli con altri per non annoiarmi ma noto sempre con maggior piacere che è difficile stancarsi di Camilleri. La lettura non è per niente impegnativa ma, al contrario, molto coinvolgente.
Per quanto, in linea di massima, lo schema sul quale è costruita la vicenda sia lo stesso, Camilleri riesce sempre a stupire con nuovi personaggi (come belle donne al cui fascino il commissario deve resistere) affiancati dalla rassicurante
E.M. Lynley
Nov 17, 2014 E.M. Lynley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, italy
The first Camilleri book I finished. I listed to the audio book while on a long drive, which made it easier to hold my attention than previous attempts.

I enjoyed the book and the narration.

This is the sort of series where you get little tidbits of information along the way but you really can't figure the whole thing out until the end when you get some additional missing pieces to tie the story together. I stopped trying to work all the pieces into one shape partway through, and just enjoyed the
Helen
Nov 25, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andrea Camilleri has never disappointed. This Inspector Montalbano mystery is full of humor and compassion, along with a great plot. I love the way Camilleri develops his characters. For example, the annoying Catarella, "Oh, Chief, Chief! You're here?... At lease ten people called, and they all want to talk to you in poisson! I didn't know you was comin' so I says to all of 'em to call back tomorrow morning. Did I do right, Chief?" And then, Inspector Montalbano's love for his native Sicily, "Th ...more
Ladygiodesi
Mentre si sta recando ad un funerale, il commissario Montalbano nota una vettura parcheggiata davanti ad una villetta che sembra disabitata ed incuriosito vi entra furtivamente di notte e trova il cadavere di una bella ragazza senza vestiti. Inizia così la quarta indagine di Salvo Montalbano, che gira attorno a questa figura un po’ particolare ed alla scomparsa di una sacca piena di gioielli. Dal punto di vista personale, il rapporto con la storica fidanzata Livia entra in crisi, anche ma non so ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspector Salvo Montalbano, maverick policeman in the Sicilian backwater town of Vigàta, returns in this tale that will have you guessing nearly to the very end. As always, Montalbano gets to the bottom of the mystery -- in this case the suffocation of a knock-out blonde in her own home -- through experience, intuition, hard work, and, at times, lies, police misconduct, and other chicanery.

Watching Montalbano operate, whether as a policeman or an unwilling pawn in a political gamble, is like wat
Vivienne
In this outing there is a great deal of tension between Montalbano and the recently appointed Commissioner of Police and aside from solving the murder he has to navigate these stormy political waters to protect not only his own career but the integrity of his command.

I have seen the TV adaptation of this novel at least twice and so was aware of whodunit from the start. However, there was still plenty to appreciate in the source material including small snippets of comedy played out in print.

Thi
Diane
Oct 07, 2009 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this mystery, but I wish I read the book as opposed to listening to the audio tape. The characters seem to have been "Americanized" in the audiobook, with one having an almost stereotypical NY Italian accent. This seemed a bit jarring considering the mystery takes place in Sicily. That aside, I enjoyed the mystery. It was light and comedic at times, but also had some twists and turns. Inspector Montalbano kind of reminds me of an Italian Morse.
Belinda
May 31, 2015 Belinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed all of the Montalbano detective novels so far. I keep reading them because they are amusing, give me a decent enough taste of Italian life, have amazing food in them, and are well paced.
The characters are well drawn too.
I have another one to read (my 4th) and am looking forward to it.
What more can be said?
William Sullivan
Mar 17, 2011 William Sullivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you love mystery and Italy, but you're tired of Donna Leon's preachy American tone, welcome to the wonderfully authentic Sicilian world of Camilleri. I read this in the original Sicilian -- a dialect that Italians can't always understand -- but the English translation captures the flavor just as well. Here you meet real Sicilians and real crimes.
Stavroula
Apr 22, 2015 Stavroula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Απλά μοναδικός κι απολαυστικός όπως πάντα ο συγγραφέας! Δεν τον βαριέσαι ποτέ!
Margaret
As usual, a nice little mystery with sex, silliness and the very clever Inspector Montalbana proving that he's up to the job.
Roberta C.
Nov 21, 2016 Roberta C. rated it it was amazing
Esilarante, brillante, assolutamente consigliato!
Linda
Jul 05, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has only one murder although it is complicated with many suspects. Inspector Montalbano investigates with a cynical view of daily life. A most enjoyable series.
Bettie☯
Eva
Feb 14, 2016 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Por ahora creo que es el mejor Montalbano que he leido
  • Ad occhi chiusi
  • A Noble Radiance (Commissario Brunetti, #7)
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • River of Shadows
  • The Damned Season
  • La condanna del sangue: La primavera del commissario Ricciardi
  • A Florentine Death
  • Attenti al gorilla
Andrea Camilleri (born september 6, 1925 in Porto Empedocle) is an Italian writer. He is considered one of the greatest Italian writers of both 20th and 21st centuries.

Originally from Porto Empedocle, Sicily, Camilleri began studies at the Faculty of Literature in 1944, without concluding them, meanwhile publishing poems and short stories. Around this time he joined the Italian Communist Party.

Fro
More about Andrea Camilleri...

Commissario Montalbano (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano, #1)
  • The Terra-Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano, #2)
  • The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano, #3)
  • Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano, #5)
  • The Smell of the Night (Inspector Montalbano, #6)
  • Rounding the Mark (Inspector Montalbano, #7)
  • The Patience of the Spider (Inspector Montalbano, #8)
  • The Paper Moon (Inspector Montalbano, #9)
  • August Heat (Inspector Montalbano, #10)
  • The Wings of the Sphinx (Inspector Montalbano, #11)

“What do two women friends usually do when they see each other? We talked, we watched television, we listened to music Sometimes we did nothing at all. It was a pleasure just to know the other one was there.” 10 likes
“Don’t you read mystery novels?” “Not very often. Anyway, what does that mean, ‘mystery novel’? What is a ‘detective novel’?” 0 likes