Start by marking “Why Have the Birds Stopped Singing?” as Want to Read:
Why Have the Birds Stopped Singing?

Why Have the Birds Stopped Singing?

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
During an epileptic seizure while visiting her ancestral home, sixteen-year-old Katie is transported back in time and mistaken for her great-great-great grandmother who also had epilepsy at a time when the disease was greatly misunderstood.
Published March 28th 1974 by William Morrow (first published March 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Why Have the Birds Stopped Singing?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Have the Birds Stopped Singing?

Necessary Lies by Diane ChamberlainWhy Have the Birds Stopped Singing? by Zoa SherburneChild of the Morning by Barbara CorcoranFlutter by Gina LinkoBecause You'll Never Meet Me by Leah Thomas
Epilepsy in Fiction
2nd out of 40 books — 6 voters
Sick & Tired by Kimberly RaeStacey's Emergency by Ann M. MartinSweetblood by Pete HautmanThe Spiral Staircase by Karen ArmstrongNeedles by Andie Dominick
Books About Hidden Illness
41st out of 47 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Dana
Jan 28, 2015 Dana rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books as a young teenager. I found it on Ebay - a retired high school library book. I'm sure it took me longer to read it back then, but this time it took me less than two hours.

The tale of teenage Katie going back in time as her great-great-great grandmother enthralled me as a girl, perhaps solidifying my love for time travel in literature. It was not as grand a love story as I remember, although my perspective is quite different some 25 years later.

I was amused by
Celeste
Oct 30, 2008 Celeste rated it it was amazing
I read this at the tender age of 11 and it has stayed with me till today. This story had it all for a young girl who loved to read: a medical condition, mystery, time travel, love story. And I even loved the cover so much I reproduced it by hand for my own book report cover for school! Still a recommendation.
Connie Milton
Jun 17, 2009 Connie Milton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
I read this book when I was 11 and it is still one of my all time favorite books. I have read it many times thru the years. (It only takes about 2 hours) My first love story and time travel book.
Shelli
Jan 22, 2014 Shelli rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time when I was about 11 or 12 and really enjoyed it. It has stuck with me forever and every once in awhile it pops back in and I think I have to find that book, I need to read it again. I was very happy when I unpacked a box that had been in storage for a long time and tada~there it was! I was excited.
Min
Sep 02, 2007 Min rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-ya
Katie is taking a tour of the Pacific Northwest with nine other girls and teacher. One day, in Port Townsend, Katie, who has epilepsy, mixes up her handbag with her friend's handbag. She ends up having a seizure (no access to her medication) and when she wakes up, she is a hundred years in the past. Here she is known as Kathryn. Kathryn also has epilepsy but it is not the treatable disease it is in Katie's time. As Katie learns to navigate the past, she is given a glimpse into a world where her ...more
Mckinley
Mar 17, 2015 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Started out with more potential than it ended up providing. Simple story, girl ends up back in time. There's a lot that's not explained that leaves confusion.
Requiem for a Princess is much like this story and I liked it better along with Magic Elizabeth by Kassirer, Norma.

Other ya books about going back in time: A Traveler In Time by Uttley, Tom's Midnight Garden, The Juniper Game. Hall Family series by Langton and The Aviary Hall series by P Farmer.
Libbet Bradstreet
Oct 04, 2015 Libbet Bradstreet rated it it was amazing
Absolutely beautiful book. I read it for the first time as a nine year-old and it has stuck with me ever since. A book with everything: romance, time-travel (of sorts), and a very typical peak at the historical interpretation of neurological diseases.
Breanne
Dec 23, 2008 Breanne rated it really liked it
This book puts an interesting perspective on the way society has changed especially with it's out look toward epilepsy I would recommend this book to anyone.
Sara
Oct 07, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Read this book when I was about 13 and just re-read it. Hard to find, but it is still just as good as it was all those years ago!
Samantha
Dec 21, 2014 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, time-travel
A great story to share with your daughters. It is filled with love, understanding, and triumph.

Wendy
Apr 19, 2008 Wendy rated it liked it
One of my favorites from youth.
Amy
May 14, 2013 Amy added it
Loved and still searching for a copy!
Shawna Newton
Oct 10, 2012 Shawna Newton rated it it was amazing
Favorite book of all time .
Sweet
Sweet marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
D
D added it
Jul 09, 2016
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
RC Curtis
RC Curtis rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2016
Laura Wilson
Laura Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Laura Rosin
Laura Rosin marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Stacy
Stacy added it
Jun 04, 2016
Jo-Anne
Jo-Anne marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Susan Roitmire
Susan Roitmire rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Jennifer Norris
Jennifer Norris marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Majenta
Majenta rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Nancy McElroy
Nancy McElroy marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Enid Karr
Enid Karr rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Born in Seattle and reared in Washington, Mrs. Sherburne began writing while attending Whittier Elementary School and in early 1940 had progressed to the point that the weekly Ballard Tribune newspaper published a column of what she called light verse under the headline "The Gremlin's Say."

Then Mrs. Sherburne entered a radio program's limerick-writing contest and won a $250 first prize that was in
More about Zoa Sherburne...