Start by marking “Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)” as Want to Read:
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)

Something from the Nightside (Nightside #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  18,725 Ratings  ·  1,088 Reviews
John Taylor is not a private detective per se, but he has a knack for finding lost things. That's why he's been hired to descend into the Nightside, an otherworldly realm in the center of London where fantasy and reality share renting space and the sun never shines.
Mass Market Paperback, 230 pages
Published May 27th 2003 by Ace (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Something from the Nightside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something from the Nightside

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingVampire Academy by Richelle MeadMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Best Urban Fantasy
65th out of 2,915 books — 10,310 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherHounded by Kevin HearneChanges by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim ButcherDead Beat by Jim Butcher
Urban Fantasy With Male Lead Characters
17th out of 646 books — 1,172 voters

More lists with this book...

Megan
Jun 21, 2010 Megan rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Our first mention of the Nightside is (in my paperback edition) on page's 10 and 11 where we learn that, "The Nightside is the secret, hidden, dark heart of the city. London's evil twin. It's where the really wild things are."

From that point on, Green continues to write the phrase the Nightside on nearly every single page, often accompanied by a lengthy description of the horrors one will find in the Nightside. For example,

p.12 I considered the matter. How much, to go back into the Nightside?

p
Felicia
Jan 31, 2009 Felicia rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Very good, I really liked the characters and the world. Similar feel to Dresden Files. Will buy more!
Dan Schwent
Oct 01, 2010 Dan Schwent rated it really liked it
After five years in London, John Taylor gets drawn back into the machinations of the Nightside when Joanna Barrett hires him to find her daughter. The trail takes him all over the Nightside and nothing is ever as it first seems...

I've had this on my bookcase for over a year and I finally gave it a read on vacation. It's light and obviously the first in a long series but I dig it just the same.

The Nightside is a pocket dimension that lies in part of London populated will all kinds of nasties. Joh
Lori Whitwam
Dec 30, 2007 Lori Whitwam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
This is the first book in Green's "Nightside" series.

"You can find anything in the Nightside-if it doesn't find you first. John Taylor is not a private detective per se, but he has a knack for finding lost things. That's why he's been hired to descend into the Nightside, an otherworldly realm in the center of London where fantasy and reality share renting space and the sun never shines"

I love this series. John Taylor is the relatively normal one (which isn't saying much) in a world filled with
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
If you like your urban fantasy/occult detective novel with a touch of the horrific, then The Nightside books are up your alley. John Taylor is very enigmatic. He has abilities. He can find things, usually things that don't want to be found. There are things that go bump in the night. And most of them live in The Nightside. It's a dark, scary place that is somewhere near London.

John Taylor is a wanted man in the Nightside, and has sworn not to go back. You know about good intentions. When a girl
Tammy
Jun 29, 2012 Tammy rated it it was ok
Shelves: dhggrc, uf
Something from the Nightside was just an okay read in my opinion. Its starts off good-a detective with a gift for finding things takes on a case in which he must locate a rich lady's missing daughter. All the woman knows is that her daughter is in the Nightside.

My biggest problem is I don't like the descriptions of the Nightside, it seemed like the author tried way to hard to make it seem weird. I think it may have been creepier with subtle descriptions of the weirdness. Here's an example, when
Chelsea
This book came highly, highly recommended to me, by the same friend who bought me my first Dresden and Belgariad books. Never before have I doubted her judgement.

This book was the worst example of telling, not showing, I've ever read. There was a lot of dialogue that was only there to talk about the Nightside. You leave the book knowing what kind of person John Taylor is. It's not from experiencing him as a character, but from him telling you all about himself. To illustrate this point, the phr
Catherine Ford
May 30, 2015 Catherine Ford rated it it was amazing
For the full review click:

Phew, how to describe this book! First of all, let me tell you that it is amazing, no more than amazing – it is a true master piece! I have never read anything like it and doubt if I will. The Nightside series is sort of a mix of Terry Pratchett meets James Bond meets hell. Perhaps the best description I can come up with is that it is a black comedy action urban fantasy, and that still doesn’t quite cut it.

The book is told from a
Regina
A friend of mine that reviewed this book said it well -- this might have been a great book if it had been written differently. Initially I should say upfront that I prefer character driven stories and if a story is plot driven, then it takes a very strong plot and complex world building for me to be a fan of the book Something from the Nightside is not a character driven book and it is not a book with a strong storyline or strong world building. I think I may have not been the right audience for ...more
Ami
Mar 27, 2013 Ami marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
DNF at 47%

With huge apology to my buddy read (Kate), I simply have to bail. I can't continue a book where all I want is gritting my teeth in annoyance when I read it

Strike One: Alien Abductees. ALIEN. ABDUCTEES. Look I don't know, if it's the true plot or not, but when I read this line, I have to stop. I might enjoying The X-Files back in 1990s but definitely not almost two decades later. Alien is so last decade. I'm truly sorry, but anything with alien abductees thingy is not my thing.

Strike Tw
The Flooze
Something from the Nightside is the introduction to John Taylor, the man who can find anything and anyone. He's a native of the Nightside, the seedy yet vibrant underbelly of London, where nothing is what it seems.

Simon R. Green is adept at creating likable non-heroes. The men and women of the Nightside (including John Taylor) work within dark spaces, committing grey acts that are ultimately for the greater good. John is a rogue with enemies and a reputation for ruthlessness. Yet, his purpose i
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 07, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
While this is not "my" first Nightside book, it is "the" first Night Side book. (The statement almost sounds like something from the Nightside doesn't it?)

John who is "something special" in the Nightside, is just "John Taylor" in the mundane world.

What's the Nightside? Good question, it's the dark heart of London...except it has apparently existed longer than the city itself. It's where all the dark, dangerous, magic "stuff" goes and "lives" or "exists" as some of the things walking, working, a
Sarah Alirezaee
Sep 15, 2015 Sarah Alirezaee rated it it was amazing
Dreams can come true, in the Nightside. Everyone knows that.
But they still vanish when you wake up.

Brilliant! Don't miss it!
Tabitha (Pabkins)
This starts out like how I would think an typical old detective mystery movie would start. After closing time, the detective is in his office ( I pictured that old frosted glass from the black and white films), he's a down on his luck, up to his eyeballs in debt type, living on the couch there in his workspace...when he hears the sound of a woman's footsteps approaching. In walks the dame...yeah that's how it goes.

Some of it was so 'to be expected' but there was also enough unexpected parts to b
Anita
This book is written like an old-school down-on-his-luck PI mystery, complete with the rich dame that waltzes into the private eye's life desparately seeking his help. There are plenty of bleak monologues, just like you'd expect in that genre. That said, it's a contemporary urban fantasy setting that the author calls the Nightside. The Nightside is like a parallel dimension connected to London through the subway system. All sorts of crazy creatures from various dimensions, times, and planets com ...more
Justin
Oct 01, 2009 Justin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own
I liked this book. I enjoyed it for what it was. What it is though, might not be for everyone. Like many others I was pointed to this series because I like Jim Butcher, Butcher himself recommends this series. Something from the Nightside’s main character is John Taylor. John is a private detective with a gift for finding things. He takes a case about a missing girl that forces him to confront his past and enter the Nightside. John Taylor has a serious reputation in the Nightside and he thought h ...more
David Derus
Jun 14, 2013 David Derus rated it liked it
This book starts off as a poor man's Harry Dresden but ends up like a bad episode of Dr. Who. John Taylor, private eye, starts as the most stereotypical private eye ever. Rainy day? Check. Poor but principled anti hero? Check? Some genuine snark? Check.

Now, I like stereotypical private-eyes. However, Jon Taylor's flaw is not in his inability to separate himself from the pack. There are two major problems with this book. First, the world of the Nightside is so wild it is hard to invest in it. At
LJ
Sep 10, 2007 LJ rated it really liked it
SOMETHING FROM THE NIGHTSIDE – VG
Simon R. Green – 1st in mystery/fantasy series
John Taylor, in search of a runaway girl, was born in Nightside, an area of London “where it’s always 3 a.m. Where you can walk beside myths and drink with monsters. Where nothing is what it seems and everything is possible.”

I loved this book. Green writes with a Raymond Chandler-esq voice while creating a dark world of unique characters.
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
Jul 29, 2016 ♥ Ashleigh ♥ contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad! rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: UF lovers looking for a male protagonist
Really enjoyed listening to this book. The voices were well done (for the most part... listening to a man try to create the voice of an upper class lady was more hilarious than successful).

I loved the characters, they all have creative and interesting names (well those from the nightside) and fascinating back stories, I wouldn't mine learning more about Sally Shooter's & Johns History! I believe there was a little bit of romance in it *wink wink, nudge nudge* lol. speaking of romance I did f
Sandra
Feb 01, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Nightside, part of a realm under/beside London seems to be in another dimension ~ it's always 3am in the morning. Some things only like the dark.

This is a seriously bad place for those not aware and not prepared. John Taylor was born in the Nightside. Many creatures fear him coming back.

There were lots of subtle culture references, and also lots of stereotypes, but I've gotta say, I loved the 60's Coke and the casual mention of the 5 Tracy brothers and comments like "the plaque rats go arou
Molly
Aug 10, 2010 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
This is the first Green novel I have read. Picked it up at half price books, so I don't feel particularly bad about hating it. Or too terribly ripped off.

And I did hate it.
However, I kept reading it hoping that I was missing something.

To me, it seemed like this was the first book (or series) that Green wrote but didn't have it published until after he was established, giving fans more or something.

I got sick of the repeated phrases because, well, I am a smart woman and you don't need to tell me
Jen
This story was flat-out amazing for me. I loved it! I had been wanting to read it for a very long time, ever since I first read Simon R. Green's story in the Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy anthology and this book lived up to and exceeded all my expectations of wonderfulness that I had formed upon reading that story. :)

From the first chapter, in which John Taylor pulled no punches in his description of the Nightside to his newest client, my attention was riveted. And boy, d
Tapestrymlp
I made it halfway through this book before having to abandon it. I just couldn't get into the story and the characters had me rolling my eyes and impatient to move on to something else.

I have never been a huge fan of hard-boiled detective novels and the cliches of that genre don't appeal to me in the least. Something From The Nightside is very much in the hard-boiled detective frame, only with a fanstasy twist.

I like the idea of the Nightside and that alternate world within a world. There is som
Kevin
Jun 11, 2009 Kevin rated it did not like it
I keep looking for some kind of paranormal detective noir that I'll actually enjoy. It sounds like something I'd really like, but it seems that most people who write this just aren't very good writers.

This is a good example: the premise is fine, although the plot ends predictably. But the writing is completely lackluster. Every three pages one of the characters has to remark on how wacky things are "...in the Nightside." OKAY, I GET IT. THINGS ARE DIFFERENT. Show, don't tell. C'mon, I learned th
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is a fast little read, only 230 pages in the paperback edition. It has a lot of similarities with his Edwin Drood series: loners trying to escape their past, names that instill fear on the heart of all who hear them, odd little places that the characters stop by for no reason that really propels the story along but just provides some humor, the world is full of every kind of nasty including aliens, unreliable backstabbing frenemies, and so forth. It's a decent enough setup for the series bu ...more
Aloha
Sep 10, 2010 Aloha rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-sci-fi
The narrator is perfect for the story and did a bang up job. If you're into detective noir, this is for you. It's an entertaining dark fantasy with nightmare creatures and weird plot twists. The romance is not believable to me, but this is a detective noir, where the protagonist is often analytical and human relationships are not deeply touched upon.
Khanh (the Grinch)
Mar 12, 2013 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it it was ok
London's underworld. Many different, strange characters, all of them dull. Including the main character, who is but a parody of the film noir detective. I love the supernatural, but this is just really boring, despite the strange new underworld it promises.
سیده زهرا
May 09, 2016 سیده زهرا rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
تمام 12 جلد این مجموعه رو خوندم . واقعا هیجان انگیز و پر کششه. از اون کتابایی که فراموش نمیکنم هرگز. عالی بود.
Jason
Sep 14, 2016 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
5 Stars

Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green is a book one in the start of a private eye urban fantasy that is just perfect for my interests today. I have been reading a lot of urban fantasy lately. Combine my new favorite genre with a detective noir like story and you have made me something special. I loved this book. I loved the writing of Green. I loved the world of Nightside. And I especially loved our main character (can't call him the good guy), John Taylor.

Green paces this one
Diane
Nov 30, 2013 Diane rated it it was ok
The Nightside is a parallel World or maybe just a parallel London that can be accessed through London's Tube system for those in the know. A pretty Dame walks into John's office wanting him to find her runway daughter that is rumored to be "IN THE NIGHTSIDE".

Why did I use the word 'Dame'? Why did I all cap "in the nightside"? Well. It's because this reads sort of like a cheesy clichéd old school private eye movie and the words "in the Nightside" were used SO many times that if you were playing
  • Unshapely Things (Connor Grey, #1)
  • Moonshine (Cal Leandros #2)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Dead To Me (Simon Canderous, #1)
  • Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1)
  • A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1)
  • The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1)
  • Clean (Mindspace Investigations, #1)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • The Midnight Mayor (Matthew Swift, #2)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • Necropolis (Matt Richter #1)
  • Blood Engines (Marla Mason, #1)
  • Already Dead (Joe Pitt, #1)
  • Blood Blade (Skinners, #1)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)

“The cream-tiled walls were spattered here and there with old dried bloodstains, deep gouges that might have been clawmarks, and all kinds of graffiti. As usual, someone had spelt Cthulhu wrongly.” 26 likes
“ I went to a house that was not a house. I opened a door that was not a door. And what I saw, I saw.” 24 likes