Start by marking “Les Miserables Vol. I, Book 1-3 (Large Print)” as Want to Read:
Les Miserables Vol. I, Book 1-3 (Large Print)

Les Miserables Vol. I, Book 1-3 (Large Print)

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,185 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Encompassing a multitude of plots, the narrative is bounded by the character of the protagonist, Jean Valjean.
Published December 1st 2006 by ReadHowYouWant.com (first published 1862)

To ask other readers questions about Les Miserables Vol. I, Book 1-3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Miserables Vol. I, Book 1-3

Riham
Mar 17, 2011 Riham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i wish there was more than 5 stars..all authors usually focus on events but i never saw any authour who went deeply inside human's heart and mind and analysed it that great..the book is full of wisdom that it can be taken as one of the spiritual books in life..
this is the greatest book i ever did and ever will read..
Hugo was a messenger of truth
Naif
Feb 26, 2016 Naif rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من أوائل الروايات التي قرأتها بغرض تعلم اللغة الإنجليزية تقريباً في أواخر عام 2000..قرأت النسخة العربية والإنجليزية من دار البحار التي وضعت في ثلاثة أجزاء...هذه الروايه العالميه هي افضل رواية قرأتها بلا منازع!!!

ابدع فيها الكاتب الفرنسي العظيم فيكتور هيغو و جعلني شغوف بكل عمل مسرحي او سينمائي مبني على احداث هذه الرواية الرائعة..
تأثرت بالشخصيات والحبكة الدرامية للقصة و استمتعت كثيراً بقراءة الرواية اكثر من مشاهدة الأفلام لأن اسلوب الكاتب البليغ في الوصف والتعبير الأدبي ساحر بكل ماتعنيه هذه الكلم
Steve Pennell
Sep 02, 2011 Steve Pennell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
One of the all-time great stories. The story is inspired. Grace vs. Law. And Grace wins!

This is not, however, for the timid reader. Hugo writes entire chapters (over and over again) of historical and political and French social information that has almost nothing to do with the story itself but serves only to set a mood or set up a scene. If you aren't into historical trivia, read the abridged version.

Although movies always leave out important scenes -especially when the book is this long, the
Jul 17, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love classics and/or French culture
Recommended to Laura by: English class
I realized today that I have this listed as a favorite book in my profile, but it wasn't on my read list. It is another that I read in high school. Some parts are pretty simplistic and conventional, but it all comes together so romantically. Did you know it's said that Victor Hugo always wrote standing up? If you've seen the unabridged version of this book, he must've gotten tired! Anyway, I just really like Jean Valjean, including saying his name.

Wow, J'ai choisi la version Française! Regardez
Aud
Apr 04, 2015 Aud rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-books
Reading Challenge 2015: Book you were supposed to read for school.
Two months later I finally finished the first part of Les Misérables. I loved it. It was such an amazing and satisfying reading. I read it in French and Hugo's writing is truly something. The descriptions are long, that I will admit, and it can have a boring effect. The first part especially was confusing because it didn't seem to have anything to do with the story. But everything Hugo wrote had a meaning in the end. I was always
Jessie
Victor Hugo is an amazing author. His descriptions go on for pages and I don't know how he can even think of the things that he does to make the places and characters come so alive. This is the second time I've read this unabridged version. I think that I enjoyed it more the first time through because I wasn't on a deadline. I liked collecting quotes, and thinking about why the book was famous. I know that the title is The miserable, but I don't think that is why the book has a following. I beli ...more
Tannie
Apr 02, 2012 Tannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow... where to start with this review?

I want to say this - reading Les Miserables unabridged is A LOT harder than I though it would be. My advice is honestly this... if you want to read it, read the abridged unless you are up for a HUGE challenge. I can't say I know how much the abridged cuts out, but for me I think I would have enjoyed it more had I read it abridged.

What I didn't like about the book was the tangents (I know he had a reason for every single one). The 40 pages detailing convent
Jos
Dec 31, 2013 Jos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-lit
First comments:
- Hugo himself states the aim in the introduction: to call attention to the suffering masses, Les Miserables.
- broad panorama of French society in the first half of the 19th century
- 1,500 pages meandering through all facettes of life and elaborating each aspect in detailed form
-> nostalgia for Paris of the past
-> so called great persons of the past
-> history lesson
- certainly less than 10% of those 350,000 people rating this have read the whole unabridged book; the vast
Jacob Holt
Jean Valjean is a convict after stealing bread to feed his family. Once arrested he attempts to break out of prison which increases his sentance to 19 years. After, being realesed he starts his reformation to be a good person. His encounters with Javert keeps himself on the move. The revolution in France is approaching and Jean Valjean is seeking to fix his crimes.
The book was better than I expected however I still dislike the hard language and the strange tangents. The story was great if you ca
Mohsen Bourouba
Jun 19, 2015 Mohsen Bourouba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its one of the best story i ever read,victor hugo is the gold man of litterature,nd like he say:a writer is a world trapped in a prison.
Andy
Jan 10, 2013 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read! Thought-evoking, amazing character development, universal themes.
I found Hugo's interaction with God, through the Priest and Jean Valjean to be especially interesting.
The one thing that tempted me to take 1 star off is the very long description of the Priest at the beginning and the long description of the Battle of Waterloo around two-thirds of the way through. This is consistent with Charles Dickens, for example ''Hard Times,'' published eight years before ''Les Misérables.'' (1
Seni
Nov 22, 2008 Seni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: siapapun anda, saya persilakan untuk menjelajahi dunia buku ini
sudah lama buku ini kubeli. dan baru beberapa bulan lalu sempat kubaca. dan baru saat ini sempat kutulis tentangnya. bagiku, novel ini sarat dengan pengorbanan sekaligus keberanian. pengorbanan dan terutama keberanian seorang Jean Valjean yang kerap dihadapkan pada pertimbangan-pertimbangan moral hati nuraninya sendiri. meski kegetiran yang menjadi konsekuensinya, meski kegentaran kadang menyambanginya. ia mampu konsisten di jalan nurani.

membacanya, serasa jiwa ini semakin kaya dengan arti hidup
Jay
Dec 30, 2012 Jay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Au dos de la couverture il y a une citation de Rimbaud, « Hugo, top cabochard, a bien du VU dans les derniers volumes : Les Misérables sont un vrai poème. » Bien qu’il y ait des pages qui manquent de poésie, surtout quand il pontifie un peu trop, comme parfois dans les chapitres sur Waterloo, c’est vrai aussi de ses poèmes dévoués au politique quand il était encore jeune. En lisant « Les Misérables » pour la deuxième fois, je prends un grand plaisir en le lisant comme un long poème, qui manque d ...more
Amber
Nov 03, 2012 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-for-school
I needed to read this book for French in school. I have this book in Dutch, but I still need to read it.

I only gave it 4 stars because it was hard for me to read it in French. I really liked the stories about Fantine, Jean, Cosette,...
I'm curious about the next parts (3) to see what happens next, but I think I will enjoy this book more when it's in my language :)

I didn't read this version, it was another one but it seems alike.
Christina
Aug 05, 2010 Christina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read, classics
I gave Les Miserables a 4 instead of a 5 simply because the main character is dated--audiences and readers today no longer trust such simply good-natured protagonists. Considering when it was written, it deserves a five.

I read the abridged version and that was great. Didn't have time this summer to read all that history. I would recommend this for readers who love Charles Dickens, and for those who don't.
DeDe
Apr 04, 2011 DeDe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my top 5 reads ever! It's long - over 1000 pages (unabridged) and the sewer system section is a bit long and ardous to get through, but this book has changed my life. This novel is about love and forgiveness; forgiving one's self more than others; Finding the balance between mercy and justice; and really explores moral issues. I cried reading this novel - in front of 35 sophomores - without any shame.
Gregg
Oct 17, 2008 Gregg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: book clubs, teenagers and up
Recommended to Gregg by: Top 5 books to take to an island
Read in High School (instead of reading what the teacher assigned me) I read the unabridged version-1,000 pages or so. The unabridged is just as good. Being areligious at that time, Jean Valjean molded my character. He is a "Christlike" figure in the book. I learned to turn the other cheek and to let the actions happen. Great character growth throughout the book. Check out the musical too. Great songs.
Jenna
Apr 21, 2008 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time putting Les Mis down. I mostly read it during my work breaks, but found myself taking it home, and trying not to read it while sitting at stop lights! It was quite captivating. Still have not seen the musical, as I'm afraid I'll be disappointed with how many differences there are between the two (so I've heard from my husband). I'm thinking about reading this one again soon...
Ronda
Apr 21, 2008 Ronda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jr. High students thru adults
Shelves: 5-star-rated
One of a few books that I rated with 5 stars. Incredible! I read this book (unabridged---which I recommend) during the summer before I went to the musical at Capitol Theater in Salt Lake City. I wanted to understand the story before seeing the show. I enjoyed the show, (I LOVE THE MUSIC!) but it was a sketch compared to the depth of story-line and characters one reads in the book.
Aubri
Nov 29, 2008 Aubri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
So I know the musical in and out and have always wanted to read this. When we were in the Philippines it was one of the books I was able to find and it was cheap so I picked it up. I couldn't put it down. It was so amazing. The depth of the characters and their stories. WOW. I kept saying, "Just one more page," but then wouldn't put it down for a few hours.
Katie
Sep 23, 2008 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the theme I saw of God helping/intervening in small ways after ALL he could do. I'm still impressed by the effort Val Jean makes over and over against huge odds, but still makes his escapes, aids others, etc. He receives big and small mercies along the way.

I read a condensed but still "long" version. I'll read the BIG one later, maybe.
Georgia
Feb 28, 2015 Georgia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok so I haven't ACTUALLY finished the first tome but I read "Fantine" and realistically that's all I'll be reading for a while. Surprisingly really enjoyed it, although it helps that I quite enjoy the musical.
Devobuster
I absolutely adored this book. Victor Hugo was just so excellent at describing, it was beautiful to read. It was a bit rambly though, and it took me forever to read simply because I kept getting distracted by other things. However often I put it down, I instantly fell in love with it again as soon as I picked it up.
Diana
Sep 24, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, classics
Finished the first book (1st 600 pages). Apart from the 150 pages or so that were devoted to the battle of Waterloo and the philosophy of monastic life in the 19th century, it was really fun to read. I read it in French, which made the process even more interesting for me, if rather slow.
Bill
Jul 16, 2011 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure if this is the actual version I read. Overall, the story was really good, but in typical Hugo fashion, a lot of time is spent providing background to the places and times where event occur. Some of this is enjoyable, but quite a bit seems to drag on.
Max Williamson
Apr 12, 2013 Max Williamson rated it really liked it
I loved reading this book but to be honest it took me ages! Not sure I took everything in but it was definitely worth the hard work, maybe an abridged version would have suited me better. It enticed me to go watch it in the West End and yes I did cry!
Christy
Sep 01, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is filled with action, love, sorrow, and upliftment. The characters are so real and it is wonderful to see how each character changes throughout the story. The messages of repentance, forgiveness, and love are deeply touching.
Heidi
Jan 01, 2012 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Where the story of Jean Valjean exists, I love this book. But it bewilders me how anyone discovered this wonderful story buried in Hugo's pontifications. I read this book because I thought I'd enjoy it. I finished it just to say I did.
Claudia Harrington
I really enjoyed the story line. It took me a long time to read it but it was a good read. I think this books was made for people in that pass where they get all their knowledge from books, since all the tangents story lines.
Nancy Boyd
Jan 05, 2012 Nancy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think people give this book a little more credit than it actually deserves. It was good, but not as phenomenal as I had been led to believe. Oh, well. Still enjoyable, and I look forward to the new movie!
  • Claudine's House
  • Mateo Falcone
  • Le Comte de Monte-Cristo I
  • Arc of the Dream (Radix, #3)
  • Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with The Merry Men & Other Tales and Fables (Wordsworth Classics)
  • Dantons Tod
  • A Tale Of The Ragged Mountains
  • Damage Control
  • Men at War
  • The Big Jump
  • Dover Beach (The Last P.I., #1)
  • The Blades of the Rose Bundle: Warrior, Scoundrel, Rebel, & Stranger
  • Georgia on My Mind and Other Places
  • Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure
  • Finders Keepers (Dark Avenger, #1)
  • Hunted Down
  • Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave / Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl
  • A Strange Disappearance
Victor-Marie Hugo was a French poet, playwright, novelist, essayist, visual artist, statesman, human rights campaigner, and perhaps the most influential exponent of the Romantic movement in France.
More about Victor Hugo...

“He who despairs is wrong.” 48 likes