Start by marking “Reading Bug” as Want to Read:
Reading Bug

Reading Bug

Parents are the best reading teachers in the world. Parental involvement is key to a child learning to read, to use language - and to their whole early years education. In an easy-to-read, jargon-busting book, Paul Jennings gives simple strategies to show how parents can use books to enrich their children's lives - it's not just about learning to read, it's about learning ...more
Paperback
Published June 1st 2004 by Penguin Australia (first published March 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Reading Bug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading Bug

Meep
Nov 18, 2013 Meep rated it liked it
I'm an educator and not a parent, but I found this very helpful in thinking about how to talk to my students when they come to the library to select their books. The chapter on computers is a little outdated (does anyone still play Neopets?) but I liked Jennings thoughtfulness about technology and literacy. Jennings does not like violent computer games, but his assessment did not turn into a moral panic, but it was in keeping with his emphasis on the importance of stories for moral development w ...more
Vanessa
We are a reading household - books, magazines, newspapers and now Kindles and IPads. I picked this up by chance at a booksale yesterday. I truly wish I had read it when my eldest daughter entered school. Despite the multiple reading influences and an abundance of books as well as being read to by her older cousins, her grandparents and us, she struggled. We struggled. We added pressure, we added remedial classes. We let up and she learnt to read. And ended up surpassing the early readers in her ...more
Palawa
Oct 09, 2010 Palawa rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a wonderful guide to me at a time when I felt terribly unsure of ways to help my son learn to read. I was both reassured and inspired by this book and highly recommend it for parents, teachers and home-educators.
These days my son is an avid reader and it's hard work keeping his bookshelf stocked. The journey has been so worthwhile.
Louisa
Feb 03, 2016 Louisa rated it it was amazing
This book is easy to read, engaging and makes complete sense to me! Targeted at parents of young children mainly, it provides a rock solid argument for nurturing a love of reading in children and gives lots of practical advice. There's nothing difficult about creating a reading culture in your family according to Paul Jennings. It's a good one for teachers too.
Gervy
Mar 22, 2013 Gervy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: improving, bookish
Useful - mainly for big list at the back of the book of different books for different stages. And because this is an Australian book I expect most of the titles will be available through our local library.
Michelle
Aug 18, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: education-school
Easy to read, inspiring and practical. Parents are the best people to teach children to read, and you don't even need to teach, you just need to surround your child with reading and writing. Very affirming, and lists of great books to use.
ABC
May 04, 2013 ABC rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teens-and-adults
Fun book about reading. Includes his thoughts about writing, also. There are very cute cartoons interspersed throughout the book.

A lot of his book recommendations are by Australians, which is nice because I was not familiar with some of them.
Maggi Tipton
Dec 20, 2016 Maggi Tipton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very easy & funny read with sensible suggestions. I wish I'd read it before my kids were 8&10 & reluctant. I'm not sure I learnt anything new on boys but I will give the book lists a go.
Pamala Hansford
An excellent and simple outline on the happiest way to encourage kids to read...And how important it is to do this.
Pernilla
Nov 08, 2016 Pernilla rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. Highly recommended to all parents and teachers.
Naomi
Jun 12, 2014 Naomi rated it it was amazing
So wonderfully informative. Love Paul Jennings
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
May 12, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Anne Weaver
Anne Weaver rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2009
r.o.l.
r.o.l. rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2009
Shen
Shen rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2014
Natasha
Natasha rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Kolet
Kolet rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2014
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Qanita Mukminah
Qanita Mukminah rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2011
Claudine
Claudine rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2015
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2011
Ary Nilandari
Ary Nilandari rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2008
Rosie Hopkins
Rosie Hopkins rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2014
Nikki
Nikki rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Peter Blake
Peter Blake rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2015
Olivia Dyer
Olivia Dyer rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Paul Jennings was born in Heston near London, and at the age of 6 emigrated to Melbourne, Australia on a boat. He was on the boat for 5 weeks with his family. He attended Bentleigh West Primary School and Caulfield Grammar School.

After graduating from school, he went to Frankston Teachers College (now part of Monash University) and became a teacher. He taught students at Frankston State School, Ka
More about Paul Jennings...