Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)

Thraxas (Thraxas #1-2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Key Selling Points- Combining action and humor, Thraxas will appeal to readers of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Piers Anthony's Xanth series, Eric Flint's Philosophical Strangler novels, and Harry Turtledove's humorous fantasies, as well as anyone who thought that. The Lord of the Rings would have benefited from an occasional pie in the face.- The first Thraxas novel...more
Published August 26th 2003 by Baen Books (first published 1999)

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna ClarkePerfume by Patrick SüskindLittle, Big by John CrowleyThe Shadow of the Torturer by Gene WolfeThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
World Fantasy Award Winners
31st out of 46 books — 207 voters
The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienPerdido Street Station by China Miéville
Favourite Fictional Cities
59th out of 116 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Nathan
First posted at Fantasy Review Barn

If I were a more humorous writer I would make an incredibly witty joke about how excited I was to read a new Discworld book when I picked up 'Thraxas.' Unfortunately I don’t have anything witty lined up, so I will just move on with the review.

Martin Scott is the pen name for Martin Millar, whose works I have enjoyed for quite a while. This book is not unknown; it won the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel in 2000. But at least for me, it proved to be hard to fi...more
Robert
Thraxas is one of those rare books that combines comedy and fantasy with more than just the odd one liner. Scott manages to create an interesting and very funny atmosphere to have his Wizard/detective work. It's a nice change of pace and an easy read that is a heck of a lot of fun.
Steve
Not too bad, but the comparisons with Pratchett are way off base. There is no similarity with Discworld, neither in subject matter nor in style. It reminds me a little of a cartoonish, slapstick copy of Glen Cook's Garrett Files books, but Tunfaire is a lot more interestingly drawn than Turai and all Cook's characters are more real. You care about them in a way you don't about Scott's.
At the beginning of this book, Scott's writing was choppy. You got the feeling he couldn't write anything but s...more
Spencer
This is the pen name of Martin Millar when he was writing fantasy books. From the cover you'd think this is pretty lame. Even when I started it I thought it was going to suck. However, it turns out, it is awesome. It's no Lonely Werewolf Girl, but it is brilliant and subversive.

Even on the surface it is a pretty cool Fantasy Noir book. I'm not sure if that genre exists. If it does it is probably lame. Anyway this book is great.
Cathy
Feb 03, 2011 Cathy marked it as did-not-want-to-finish
A somewhat funny satirical Dungeons and Dragons style fantasy. I chuckled a lot at the opening, but it soon fell flat. The author has a weird, abrupt style that put me off of his Lonely Werewolf Girl too. With both books I was ok bit mildly annoyed while reading, but didn't really care to pick them up the next day. This book is fun in many ways, with a dose of silliness that I appreciate, but I just can't get into his writing style.
Phil Barker
Doesn't really do the book justice to call it a cross between Philip Marlow and Discworld because it is its own thing. Not brilliant, but fun. Chewing gum for the eyes.
Mathias
Whoever put the information on the book please put some information on the book there not just a wall of nothing intresting
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This won a World Fantasy Award, but it didn't seem engrossing/innovative/interesting enough for me to want to finish it.
Patrick Carroll
Just fun really, don't expect anything too deep or a very detailed alternative world but gently amusing, quick reads.
Anonymole
Extremely creative and robust. Bawdy at times and a bit rakish but a fun read.
Greg Crites
Great fantasy series. Enjoyed every book. Thraxas is a beer swilling hoot.
Beth
Too cutesy, too D&D, too much telling instead of showing. Meh.
Dan Payment
Fun Series, good plot lines, great fun characters.
Elizabeth
All of these books are a real treat!
Jaz
Jaz marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Prometeus
Prometeus marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Zoë
Zoë marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Carisa
Carisa marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
  • Nifft the Lean
  • Galveston
  • Our Lady Of Darkness
  • The Dragon Waiting
  • Watchtower (Chronicles of Tornor, #1)
  • Only Begotten Daughter
  • Madouc (Lyonesse, #3)
  • Paper Grail
  • The Antelope Wife
  • Gloriana
  • Tooth and Claw
  • Declare

A pen name of Martin Millar.
More about Martin Scott...
Thraxas and the Warrior Monks (Thraxas, #2) Thraxas at the Races (Thraxas, #3) Thraxas and the Sorcerers (Thraxas, #5) Thraxas and the Elvish Isles (Thraxas, #4) Thraxas (Thraxas, #1)