Start by marking “Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Thraxas (Thraxas, #1-2)

Thraxas (Thraxas #1-2)

Key Selling Points- Combining action and humor, Thraxas will appeal to readers of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Piers Anthony's Xanth series, Eric Flint's Philosophical Strangler novels, and Harry Turtledove's humorous fantasies, as well as anyone who thought that. The Lord of the Rings would have benefited from an occasional pie in the face.- The first Thraxas novel ...more
Published August 26th 2003 by Baen Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Thraxas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thraxas

Nathan
Dec 27, 2012 Nathan rated it really liked it
First posted at Fantasy Review Barn

If I were a more humorous writer I would make an incredibly witty joke about how excited I was to read a new Discworld book when I picked up 'Thraxas.' Unfortunately I don’t have anything witty lined up, so I will just move on with the review.

Martin Scott is the pen name for Martin Millar, whose works I have enjoyed for quite a while. This book is not unknown; it won the World Fantasy Award for Best Novel in 2000. But at least for me, it proved to be hard to fi
Robert
Mar 14, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
Thraxas is one of those rare books that combines comedy and fantasy with more than just the odd one liner. Scott manages to create an interesting and very funny atmosphere to have his Wizard/detective work. It's a nice change of pace and an easy read that is a heck of a lot of fun.
Steve
Dec 31, 2012 Steve rated it liked it
Not too bad, but the comparisons with Pratchett are way off base. There is no similarity with Discworld, neither in subject matter nor in style. It reminds me a little of a cartoonish, slapstick copy of Glen Cook's Garrett Files books, but Tunfaire is a lot more interestingly drawn than Turai and all Cook's characters are more real. You care about them in a way you don't about Scott's.
At the beginning of this book, Scott's writing was choppy. You got the feeling he couldn't write anything but s
Cathy
Dec 28, 2010 Cathy marked it as did-not-want-to-finish
A somewhat funny satirical Dungeons and Dragons style fantasy. I chuckled a lot at the opening, but it soon fell flat. The author has a weird, abrupt style that put me off of his Lonely Werewolf Girl too. With both books I was ok bit mildly annoyed while reading, but didn't really care to pick them up the next day. This book is fun in many ways, with a dose of silliness that I appreciate, but I just can't get into his writing style.
Spencer
Aug 23, 2008 Spencer rated it really liked it
This is the pen name of Martin Millar when he was writing fantasy books. From the cover you'd think this is pretty lame. Even when I started it I thought it was going to suck. However, it turns out, it is awesome. It's no Lonely Werewolf Girl, but it is brilliant and subversive.

Even on the surface it is a pretty cool Fantasy Noir book. I'm not sure if that genre exists. If it does it is probably lame. Anyway this book is great.
Erika
Jan 17, 2016 Erika rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this book but didn't particularly feel compelled to read it. Part of the problem is that it can be very hard to set up a whole new world without exposition and information overload at times. That said the characters are likable, believable and interesting and I did want to find out more about them. I've already read the second story and plan to read the rest
A fun read if not overly compelling with a world worth exploring.
Chris Ellis
Sep 23, 2015 Chris Ellis rated it liked it
It was entertaining, but could only do the first of the two books included. Will keep the book to read down the line.

Orcs, elvers, wizards and spells, with a good dose of humor to boot. A little fantasy for a definite escape from real life.
Patrick Carroll
Feb 03, 2013 Patrick Carroll rated it liked it
Just fun really, don't expect anything too deep or a very detailed alternative world but gently amusing, quick reads.
Beth
Too cutesy, too D&D, too much telling instead of showing. Meh.
Anonymole
Oct 04, 2008 Anonymole rated it it was amazing
Extremely creative and robust. Bawdy at times and a bit rakish but a fun read.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This won a World Fantasy Award, but it didn't seem engrossing/innovative/interesting enough for me to want to finish it.
Greg Crites
Mar 18, 2013 Greg Crites rated it it was amazing
Great fantasy series. Enjoyed every book. Thraxas is a beer swilling hoot.
Tim Gray
Feb 09, 2015 Tim Gray rated it really liked it
Ok it's pulp fiction, so what? It revels in a joyful blend of detective noir and Tolkien! Disengage deep thoughts and just read for the fun of it - and you will really enjoy this.
Mathias
Nov 14, 2013 Mathias rated it did not like it
Whoever put the information on the book please put some information on the book there not just a wall of nothing intresting
Phil Barker
Jan 13, 2013 Phil Barker rated it liked it
Doesn't really do the book justice to call it a cross between Philip Marlow and Discworld because it is its own thing. Not brilliant, but fun. Chewing gum for the eyes.
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
All of these books are a real treat!
Dan Payment
May 06, 2010 Dan Payment rated it really liked it
Fun Series, good plot lines, great fun characters.
Sheila Cail
Sheila Cail rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Lisa D.
Lisa D. rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2013
Adina
Adina rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2010
Redjackel Topete
Redjackel Topete rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Danaca
Danaca rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2015
Fuchs
Fuchs rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Danny Roff
Danny Roff rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Noreen
Noreen rated it it was ok
Dec 05, 2011
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Grigory Ryzhakov
Grigory Ryzhakov rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Jerry Severe
Jerry Severe rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Davide D'imperio
Davide D'imperio rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2013
Kristian
Kristian rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
  • Godmother Night
  • Doctor Rat
  • Soldier of Sidon
  • Glimpses
  • The Facts of Life
  • Galveston (Resurrection Man, #3)
  • Only Begotten Daughter
  • Physiognomy
  • Nifft the Lean
  • The Dragon Waiting
  • Our Lady Of Darkness
  • Watchtower (Chronicles of Tornor, #1)
  • Madouc (Lyonesse, #3)
  • The Antelope Wife
  • Gloriana
  • The Paper Grail (Christian Trilogy, #2)
  • Brittle Innings
  • Terraforming Earth

A pen name of Martin Millar.
More about Martin Scott...

Thraxas (10 books)
  • Thraxas (Thraxas, #1)
  • Thraxas and the Warrior Monks (Thraxas, #2)
  • Thraxas at the Races (Thraxas, #3)
  • Thraxas and the Elvish Isles (Thraxas, #4)
  • Thraxas and the Sorcerers (Thraxas, #5)
  • Thraxas and the Dance of Death (Thraxas, #6)
  • Thraxas at War (Thraxas, #7)
  • Thraxas Under Siege (Thraxas, #8)
  • Thraxas and the Ice Dragon (Thraxas, #9)
  • Thraxas and the Oracle (Thraxas #10)