Rings of Ice

Rings of Ice

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  15 reviews
June 1973 Avon Books 4th printing mass market paperback as shown. Great covers, tight spine, no spine creases, clear, crisp pages, smokefree, light edge wear from storage. Fiction
Published November 1st 1987 by Avon Books (first published 1974)

In The Devil's Own Words by Elizabeth WixleyThe Man Who Watched The World End by Chris DietzelReflections by Elizabeth WixleyCorpalism by Arun D. EllisOrigins by S.E. Meyer
Lesser Known End of the World Fiction
16th out of 89 books — 75 voters
The Stand by Stephen KingThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsWorld War Z by Max Brooks1984 by George Orwell
Best Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
349th out of 702 books — 2,053 voters

More lists with this book...

Parson
Sep 29, 2012 Parson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Piers Anthony fans, apocalpytic fans, fictional survival fans
Shelves: science-fiction
When one mentions the name Piers Anthony, the typical response is one of bemusement, of hilarity. His Xanth series is what comes to mind, with its outrageousness and its fantastical. However, Anthony has another side -- one settled thoroughly in science, non-fiction and history.

Rings of Ice is one of these books. Based upon a theory known as The Annular Theory, Piers Anthony presents it in all its horrific glory as he leaves no detail not thought of. Typical of end of the world novels, it is dar...more
Sandy
I read this book ~25 years ago, and I recalled liking the premise but finding the writing dreadful. FSM knows what compelled me to hunt down a free, digital version so I could test the validity of my memories of it. Still like the premise: imagine that Noah's flood really happened... and it happened again... today. Mayhem ensues. The writing is just atrocious, though. I don't get it, I recall enjoying many books by Piers Anthony; what the hell happened to this one?! Also, the editing is so poor...more
David Given
I keep this book as a horrible warning in just how bad a novel can get and yet still be published. Everything about this book is dire: the premise, the plot, the characterisation, even the writing (although even when Anthony's having a good day is prose style doesn't precisely sparkle).

Which is odd, because you'd think it would be less memorable. Something about it --- a (highly cliched) military experiment goes wrong causes a flood of, literally, biblical proportions, and then for some reason t...more
Barry
Sep 22, 2007 Barry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Yes
This book has a somewhat plausable "end of the world" scenario. It is possible for a huge amount of water to be introduced to the planet via countless tiny meteors made of ice. However, it barely scratches the surface of the scientific "what if". Understandably, there is not alot of character development since the book is only 181 pages. Being short is actually a benefit, since to address the previously mentioned "what ifs" would have turned this pleasure to read short story into a five day tv m...more
Twyla
its a one day read. So I spent the afternoon in bed with tonsillitis re-reading it. Its the way I remember it; except I thought Thatch died of gangrene or something. Maybe I made that part up when I read it as a kid. Not much room for the characters to grow out of their wide-variety stereotypes; and they're pretty calm about the end of the world. But still, childhood favorite.
Jennifer Kronk
I read this book during a 4th grade sick day (first book I ever read in one day:>.) I would probably have to read it as an adult to really remember if it was good or great but WOW has it stuck with me. Anytime I see a heavy rain storm, the thought crosses my mind to look for rings or a weird glow in the sky. I think I liked it although it was way over my head in 4th grade.
Sean Randall
An interesting end-of-the-world plot, thin on character as it's fairly short. Still the characterisation that is there is top-notch, the facets explored are explored well.

My second reading and although nothing leapt at me as particularly wonderful, a solid lazy read in the sun gets me gazing up at the clouds and wondering...
Jessi
I read this book for the first time when I was around 12 years old and I loved it. It is one of my all time favorites and I'm not really sure why. It's definitely memorable though and it's a book that I have read over and over again and always enjoy.
Edgar
Had many ups and downs. The social/genre discourse looks very outdated and at times the plot is almost too pulpy. Still, a couple characters won me, and it's about outcasts surviving a flood! That's three stars. Plus one for very good writing.
Piper Mejia
I like the characters, all very flawed.
Susinok
I read this years ago and it was a pretty good "end of the world as we know it" book. At the time, post-apocalyptic fiction was very popular.
Gwendy2
This book is Piers Anthony at his gritty best. This is quite an insight into human nature. What WOULD you do in this situation?
JoDee
Mar 30, 2012 JoDee added it
Very dated - so 70s! But I read it during a 5 day rain fall so it was so topical.
Xdyj
Aug 09, 2011 Xdyj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: o
Not bad, though at times a bit too creepy.
Pierre
Ringen van ijs
Shawn
Young adult 10-15
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Caro Newell
Caro Newell marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
John Mann
John Mann marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Shana Wolfe
Shana Wolfe marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Shawn Camp
Shawn Camp marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
What's The Name o...: sci fi 70s or 80s rain, ice in orbit, escape flood [s] 3 24 Nov 13, 2012 12:39PM
  • The Enemy Stars
  • Barefoot in the Head (Corgi SF Collector's Library)
  • A Coming of Age
  • An Alien Heat (Dancers at the End of Time, #1)
  • Mother of Demons
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
  • They Walked Like Men
  • Operation Time Search
  • Utopia (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #3)
  • Involution Ocean
  • The Probability Broach (North American Confederacy #1)
  • Voyage from Yesteryear
  • Orbital Decay (Near Space, #1)
  • Beasts
  • Infinite Dreams
  • The Legion of Space
  • Star Trek 4
  • The Deluge

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm...more
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)