Start by marking “Gaia and God: An Ecofeminist Theology of Earth Healing” as Want to Read:
Gaia and God: An Ecofeminist Theology of Earth Healing

Gaia and God: An Ecofeminist Theology of Earth Healing

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Now in paperback--the most significant work of an internationally acclaimed author and teacher. Sifting through the legacy of Christian and Western history, Ruether traces the development of beliefs and ethics that define our relationship with each other and the earth. At once provocative and inspiring, the author's insights assert an ecofeminist vision of a healed world.
Published May 7th 1994 by HarperOne (first published March 15th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Gaia and God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gaia and God

Corey
First off- she HATED the titled and it was pushed on her.

This is a very interesting discussion about how myth shapes culture for better and worse. In particular it is about how the transition from myths of nurturing mother-like deities are replaced with increasingly detached male constructors. It forms our world paradigm and gives us a model (even a subconscious one) of how to live in relation to our world.

Ruether gives examples throughout history and leads us through a philosophical discussion
Ashleigh
Feb 13, 2013 Ashleigh rated it it was amazing
This book wasn't at all what I thought, in a good way. I haven't thought much about world creation/destruction stories, the cultures in which they originated, or the other stories being told at the time, and this book serves as a history of those religious and cultural stories. Ruether connects feminism and Christian theology to the importance of creation and stewardship. I don't 100% agree with her connections but that's not really the point here- it definitely made me think.
Rae
Jan 25, 2016 Rae rated it it was amazing
Gaia and God took a loooong while to get through. The topics of discussion are important and the author's take impressive, but it is a very dense read, and there is a lot to process.

Still, I'd say this book will be one of the rare few that I purchase as it will remain integral to my religious path. No wonder this was a UU recommended book.
Chivs Montgomery
Aug 25, 2008 Chivs Montgomery rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Feminist/Classsical Studies Enthusiasts
If you are a feminist that enjoys classical literature or studies, you will thoroughly enjoy this book!!!
Courtney Johnson
Jan 16, 2016 Courtney Johnson rated it did not like it
I had to read this book for my religion class. It is EXTREMELY boring. I could not make it through most chapters. Ruether states her main opinions in basic words, but then goes on to give lengthy explanations, more opinions or history lessons.
KEITH
Apr 29, 2016 KEITH rated it it was amazing
Even better than I thought It'd be. Covered more ground than I had imagined. Best book I have read this year. Highly recommended.
April
Mar 15, 2010 April rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
I wish I hadn't gone to Haiti in the middle of this book. It was a rather large interuption in the flow. Still, interesting. For those of you who would not want to read it based solely on the title, I think you should anyway. She has a lot to say about the good and bad of our traditions (Hebrew and Greek and secular). She also starts to recommend a way forward out of subjugation of the other (whomever or whatever that may be).
Heather
Aug 02, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Theology was interesting but I found it dry on the visuals. What I've learned: Egalitarian is the only way to heal and nurture of precious home and families.
Cristiane Bonezzi
Cristiane Bonezzi marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
K.M.
K.M. rated it did not like it
Apr 18, 2016
Whittney Chauta
Whittney Chauta marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Stephanie Nelson
Stephanie Nelson marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Cathy Jaskey
Cathy Jaskey marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Andrew Nedelchev
Andrew Nedelchev marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Ashley Tenn
Ashley Tenn is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2016
Oma Eagle
Oma Eagle rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
Fco Alonso
Fco Alonso marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Itisme
Itisme marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
David Odenyo
David Odenyo marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Lara Garbero Tais
Lara Garbero Tais marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2016
Ava McLaughlin Gagliardi
Ava McLaughlin Gagliardi rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Erica Greil
Erica Greil marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Cheryl Ann
Cheryl Ann rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Jessica Moes
Jessica Moes rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2015
  • A Black Theology of Liberation
  • On Religion: Speeches to Its Cultured Despisers
  • Moral Grandeur and Spiritual Audacity: Essays
  • She Who Is: The Mystery of God in Feminist Theological Discourse
  • On Religion (Thinking in Action)
  • Dynamics of Faith
  • Jesus and the Disinherited
  • Sisters of the Earth: Women's Prose and Poetry About Nature

“These three creation stories were shaped in the patriarchal, slave-holding world of early urban civilization in the eastern Mediterranean of the second and first millennia M.C.E. In the Babylonian story that urban world is still new and precarious. Another world, not under male/human control, stands as the earlier beginning, ruled by a huge theriomorphic Great Mother, who gestated all things, gods and cosmic beings, in the mingled waters of her womb. The story mandates her dethronement, and with it a demotion of the female from primal power to secondary consort.
Slavery is a central institution mandated by this story.”
3 likes
“We do not have thousands of years to unlearn the wrong patters that were established over thousands of years. The exponential speed-up of these cumulative patterns of destruction means we have to both learn new patterns and put them into practice on a global scale within the next generation.” 2 likes