Start by marking “OX (Of Man and Manta, #3)” as Want to Read:
OX (Of Man and Manta, #3)

OX (Of Man and Manta #3)

Of Man and Manta is an sf trilogy written by Piers Anthony. It consists of Omnivore (1968), Orn (1970), and 0x (1975).
Omnivore has as its frame the investigation of the deaths of eighteen travelers from Earth to the planet Nacre. We see Nacre through the eyes of three surviving scientist-explorers: Cal, a blood-drinker, Veg, a vegetarian, & Aquilon, an omnivore.
Orn i
Published August 1976 by Avon Books (first published January 1st 1976)

Leanna Aker
Jul 28, 2011 Leanna Aker rated it it was amazing
At the beginning, I didn't like Ox as much as the first 2 books in the trilogy, but by the middle of the book, I realized the plot was much tighter and many questions were being answered. I actually think this is the best of the three, though it's focus is a bit different than the rest. This one includes ethics, like the others, but includes machines in that mix. A good read.
Andrew Allen
Jun 18, 2012 Andrew Allen rated it it was amazing
A wild conclusion to the Orn/Omnivore/Manta trilogy. The worlds tie together as alternity is explored and we learn how the Manta sees us in stunning detail. Impressive writing and a well though out conclusion make this trilogy a fun read.
Thermalsatsuma
May 22, 2009 Thermalsatsuma rated it liked it
Shelves: book-a-week-2009
This is the final book in Piers Anthony's 'Of Man and Manta' trilogy and is the main reason that I wanted to revisit the series after first reading it some thirty years or so ago when it was first published in the mid 70s. After dealing with the strange fungoid ecology of 'Omnivore' and the paleocene creatures of 'Orn', '0X' adds two more elements to the mix, namely intelligent machines and strangest of all pattern entities that cross the frame boundaries of different alternate universes, percei ...more
Amy
Feb 05, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-group-2
Data
As is often the case when I read something by Piers Anthony, the story is pretty good, the characters are sometimes original, and I wait for the whole book to get to the part where I don't have each characters' motivations and actions explained to me in detail. I want to read the actions and dialogue, and understand at least the verbal, active characters that way. Yes, I understand the book is a bout an entity that is basically a set of points, and I don't have a lot of experience with any of th ...more
Erik Graff
Dec 03, 2010 Erik Graff rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anthony fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I read this, along with other novels of the genre, during the Winter Intercession from seminary, when there was time for such frivolity. At the time I was a member of The Science Fiction Book Club and would order cheap book club editions during the course of the year for reading during breaks from school. This was not one of my better choices, it being a rather silly adventure.
John
Apr 05, 2014 John rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi
Just plain boring. Omnivore was better than I thought it would be. Orn was interesting despite being bogged down in paleontology. I "needed" to finish the series, but would have been better off not.

He hung himself with too many tangents into hard science; not enough story to go along with it.
Cristy Weldon
Nov 18, 2009 Cristy Weldon rated it did not like it
Too much over-your-head mathematics to enjoy the multidimensional chase across 'alternity'. Tons of wasted text on the game hexaflexagon when a more simplified approach would have been as entertaining and less detracting to the storyline.
Karen
Feb 16, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2011
For now this is only getting three stars as it confused me. I read this for a book group challenge as I needed a book with ox in the title and so read this before reading the books one and two, once I've read those books I will reread this one and hopefully it will make more sense.
Mars
Jan 11, 2012 Mars rated it it was ok
if this was edited down to about 1/4 of its current size, with all the fluff and filler taken out, would have been a pretty awesome book.
Marianne
Dec 07, 2008 Marianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gone, sci-fi
A book with a few interesting ideas, parts of which are based on the Game of Life. Not exceptionally engaging, but neither do I regret reading it.
Jeremiah Johnson
Sep 05, 2010 Jeremiah Johnson rated it it was ok
The main characters adventures were interesting, but the science theory dealing 0X and the time traveling really annoyed me and took away from any enjoyment of the book.
Chris Baumgartner
Chris Baumgartner rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Philip
Philip rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2010
Maria Kelly
Maria Kelly rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2012
Jim O'keeffe
Jim O'keeffe rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2009
Joshua Eudaly
Joshua Eudaly rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Evie
Evie rated it it was amazing
Oct 26, 2009
Perry
Perry rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2008
Tim Lund
Tim Lund rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Chris Chalmers
Chris Chalmers rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2014
Aaron Brown
Aaron Brown rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2009
Nina Levine
Nina Levine rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Caden
Caden rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2011
Trevor
Trevor rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2013
Smith Nickerson
Smith Nickerson rated it really liked it
May 09, 2011
Engelse
Engelse rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2012
  • The Reavers of Skaith  (The Book of Skaith, #3)
  • Forty Thousand in Gehenna (Unionside, #1)
  • Close to Critical (Mesklin, #2)
  • Against Infinity (Jupiter Project, #2)
  • Macrolife: A Mobile Utopia (Macrolife, #1)
  • Counter Attack (The Fleet, #2)
  • The Godwhale
  • Inconstant Star (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • On
  • The R-Master
  • The Deluge Drivers (Icerigger, #3)
  • Starchild
  • On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #4)
  • Born with the Dead
  • A Rose for Ecclesiastes
  • Storm Runner (Wolfwalker, #3)
  • Prisoner of Conscience (Jurisdiction #2)
  • Paradise (Galactic Comedy #1)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Of Man and Manta (3 books)
  • Omnivore (Of Man and Manta, #1)
  • Orn (Of Man and Manta, #2)