Start by marking “OX (Of Man and Manta, #3)” as Want to Read:
OX (Of Man and Manta, #3)

OX (Of Man and Manta #3)

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Of Man and Manta is an sf trilogy written by Piers Anthony. It consists of Omnivore (1968), Orn (1970), and 0x (1975).
Omnivore has as its frame the investigation of the deaths of eighteen travelers from Earth to the planet Nacre. We see Nacre through the eyes of three surviving scientist-explorers: Cal, a blood-drinker, Veg, a vegetarian, & Aquilon, an omnivore.
Orn i...more
Published August 1976 by Avon Books (first published February 1976)

To ask other readers questions about OX, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about OX

It by Stephen KingShe by H. Rider HaggardKim by Rudyard KiplingC by Tom McCarthyFoe by J.M. Coetzee
T is for Title
17th out of 77 books — 35 voters
Night by Elie WieselHoles by Louis SacharSpeak by Laurie Halse AndersonCut by Patricia McCormickDune by Frank Herbert
Titles of Only One Syllable
241st out of 370 books — 106 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy
Thermalsatsuma
This is the final book in Piers Anthony's 'Of Man and Manta' trilogy and is the main reason that I wanted to revisit the series after first reading it some thirty years or so ago when it was first published in the mid 70s. After dealing with the strange fungoid ecology of 'Omnivore' and the paleocene creatures of 'Orn', '0X' adds two more elements to the mix, namely intelligent machines and strangest of all pattern entities that cross the frame boundaries of different alternate universes, percei...more
Data
As is often the case when I read something by Piers Anthony, the story is pretty good, the characters are sometimes original, and I wait for the whole book to get to the part where I don't have each characters' motivations and actions explained to me in detail. I want to read the actions and dialogue, and understand at least the verbal, active characters that way. Yes, I understand the book is a bout an entity that is basically a set of points, and I don't have a lot of experience with any of th...more
Leanna Aker
At the beginning, I didn't like Ox as much as the first 2 books in the trilogy, but by the middle of the book, I realized the plot was much tighter and many questions were being answered. I actually think this is the best of the three, though it's focus is a bit different than the rest. This one includes ethics, like the others, but includes machines in that mix. A good read.
Erik Graff
Dec 03, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anthony fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I read this, along with other novels of the genre, during the Winter Intercession from seminary, when there was time for such frivolity. At the time I was a member of The Science Fiction Book Club and would order cheap book club editions during the course of the year for reading during breaks from school. This was not one of my better choices, it being a rather silly adventure.
John
Jul 22, 2014 John rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Just plain boring. Omnivore was better than I thought it would be. Orn was interesting despite being bogged down in paleontology. I "needed" to finish the series, but would have been better off not.

He hung himself with too many tangents into hard science; not enough story to go along with it.
Karen
For now this is only getting three stars as it confused me. I read this for a book group challenge as I needed a book with ox in the title and so read this before reading the books one and two, once I've read those books I will reread this one and hopefully it will make more sense.
Andrew Smith
A wild conclusion to the Orn/Omnivore/Manta trilogy. The worlds tie together as alternity is explored and we learn how the Manta sees us in stunning detail. Impressive writing and a well though out conclusion make this trilogy a fun read.
Cristy Weldon
Too much over-your-head mathematics to enjoy the multidimensional chase across 'alternity'. Tons of wasted text on the game hexaflexagon when a more simplified approach would have been as entertaining and less detracting to the storyline.
Jeremiah Johnson
The main characters adventures were interesting, but the science theory dealing 0X and the time traveling really annoyed me and took away from any enjoyment of the book.
Marianne
A book with a few interesting ideas, parts of which are based on the Game of Life. Not exceptionally engaging, but neither do I regret reading it.
Mars
if this was edited down to about 1/4 of its current size, with all the fluff and filler taken out, would have been a pretty awesome book.
Rbandong
part of a trilogy (Ox, Omnivore, and Orn)
John
Grade C+. Book O3.
Sweth
Sweth added it
Oct 05, 2014
Deedee
Deedee marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Seiran
Seiran marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
  • Forty Thousand in Gehenna (Unionside, #1)
  • The Godwhale
  • Against Infinity
  • The Dancer From Atlantis
  • A Rose for Ecclesiastes
  • Giants' Star (Giants, #3)
  • Saga of Old City (Greyhawk Adventures, #1)
  • Players Of Null-a
  • The Deluge Drivers (Icerigger, #3)
  • The Deep Range
  • The Merchants' War (The Space Merchants, # 2)
  • Brother Assassin (Berserker, #2)
  • Retief's War (Retief, #3)
  • Colony
  • A Million Open Doors (Giraut #1)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm...more
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)