Start by marking “Our Solar System (revised edition)” as Want to Read:
Our Solar System (revised edition)

Our Solar System (revised edition)

Born almost 5 billion years ago at the edge of the Milky Way galaxy, our Solar System is a place filled with mystery and wonder. In the last fifty years, we have learned more than ever about the farthest reaches of our world. With dramatic full-color photographs and spacecraft images, Our Solar System takes young readers on a fascinating tour of the sun, the eight planets, ...more
Published May 8th 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 1992)

Lisa Vegan
Nov 01, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody anymore, as its material is no longer accurate
This book is outdated. I loved reading about planet Pluto, but it’s a non-fiction book I wouldn’t recommend reading in 2010. In 1992, when it was published, I would have found it worthy.

The photos, illustrations, and other pictorial content are superb.

The solar system, the sun, each planet (at the time), asteroids, comets, and meteoroids are covered, and there is a fairly good index.

However, I’m sure there are more recently published books that would be better choices if the reader wants to le
Dolly
Nov 17, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books by Seymour Simon and I really appreciate the way that he combines big, colorful photographs with informative, but not overwhelmingly detailed narratives. We learn a little more about each topic as we read and we are entertained as well.

In 2007, this book was updated to include more recent consensus on the status of Pluto and other planetary objects. It was a necessary change to the original book published in 1992. We really enjoyed reading this book together and our old
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Mr. Simon has written a nice nonfiction book about our solar system. He explains a lot of things, and taught me some new things, like why Pluto is considered a dwarf planet (this is part of the "updated" version of this book). I think that he explains things in a simple way that kids can understand. The pictures in the book are cool. I like that there is a glossary in the back. I wish some of the illustrations had captions on them. I think it is a great choice for an introduction to the solar sy ...more
Esmeralda Gregg
Apr 26, 2016 Esmeralda Gregg rated it it was amazing
This book helps to introduce 1st – 6th graders to the solar system. This book includes a glossary and an index. The book describes the nine planets and other bodies of the solar system. It also includes directions for making models showing the size of the planets and their distance from the sun. Full color photographs provided by NASA help bring the solar system within reach for elementary schoolers.

THEMES: Space, Astronomy, Planets

TEKS:
§112.14. Science, Grade 3, Beginning with School Year 2010-
Sierra Salyards
Title: Our Solar System
Author: Seymour Simon
Genre: Photographic Essay
Theme(s): solar system, planets, space
Opening line/sentence: "The Solar System was born among the billions of stars in the Milky Way Galaxy."
Brief Book Summary: In this photographic essay, Simon takes readers on a journey through the Solar System, using real images and informational text to help the reader understand more about what lies beyond Earth. From planets to comets to the atoms that make us who we are, this book explor
Kayla Nightser
Fiction citation: Gerstein, M. (2015). The night world. New York: Little, Brown and Company

Rationale: The Night World shows the wonder that children can feel from looking at their own house and backyard in the dark, and the strange feeling of being outside alone at night. Which happens to be the usual time to go outside and see stars, like in Our Solar System. To capture student's interest and get them excited about learning about the stars, this book would be perfect (and maybe convince them to
Malek Sibai
Feb 26, 2016 Malek Sibai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Name: Malek Sibai

Date: Feb/25/16

Section: 7-3
Good Reads #5 First Encyclopedia of Science

This amazing book, Our Solar System written by Seymour Simon has many interesting facts that I did not know about Science I read this book. The book starts saying how our Solar System, Milky Way, and our Galaxy which is important because it is how our Planet Earth was formed which we live in right now. Our Solar System is formed by a huge cloud of hydrogen was flying in space until it was touching the edges o
Meryem Matar
Feb 25, 2016 Meryem Matar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The non-fiction science book "Our Solar System" written by Seymour Simon talks about all that orbits the sun. For now, scientists discovered that there are 8 planets in our solar system. Each planet has its position, for example, Mercury is the closest planet to the sun and Pluto is the furthest planet from the sun. Billions of stars also orbit the sun. Our solar system’s main star, the sun, is very important for all the planets. The sun provides light energy that is also necessary to live on Ea ...more
Mamoun Bennani
Jan 29, 2016 Mamoun Bennani is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The solar system is approximately 5 billion years old and the book Our Solar System by Simon Seymour is full of interesting information about the solar system. First, the solar system is composed of 9 planets that orbit the sun, Earth, Mars, Venus, Mercury, Neptune, Saturn, Uranus, Jupiter and Pluto. Pluto is the smallest planet with a diameter of 2,390 kilometers; Jupiter is the largest planet with 142,983 kilometers. Second, 7 out of 9 planets have moons that orbit them. Earth has one moon, Ma ...more
Makenzie Anderson
Copyright date: 2014

To pair Our Solar System with a fiction book, I had to go on a little hunt. Once my hunt had ended, I came up with the book Hedge Blast Off written by Jan Brett. This particular fiction book, Hedge Blast Off, is about a hedgehog named Hedgie who flies into outer space. While on his trip he zoomed through the galaxy, passing by many planets and stars until he reached his destination. Once he reached his destination, he landed on a surface covered with craters and rocks. Hedgie
Laura Rogers
Seymour Simon rules the nonfiction shelves with his amazing photos. I love these books for the school age child. Younger ones may be able to understand the books by Gail Gibbons a little better - although the artwork in those doesn't stand up to the real photos in Simon's books. Excellent!
Terry
The photographs are amazing. I loved opening the book to any page and then starting to read. There is a ton of information here. The layout and certain words in bold suggest an elementary audience, but the reading level is middle grade.

Pros: Explore this book any way you choose. From planets and stars, to comets and asteroids, readers will get a "bird's eye" view of the solar system.

There's more to our review. Visit the The Reading Tub to see why we recommend this book. You can add your review,
Melanie Johnson
Did you know thatthe sun is star which its fuel is hydrogen? Which planet is closer to the sun? Do you know that the Earth might have been called Oceans or Water? How many moons does Jupiter has? The answer to these questions could be found in Our Solar System by award-winning author Seymour Simon. With over fifty dramatic, full-color photographs and an easy-to-read text it will takes you on a fascinating tour of the nine planets (actaully eight planets- Pluto is not a planet), dozens of moons, ...more
Sep 17, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
This is a really nice book. The full-page photographs of the planets are great and the information is interesting. The text is at a level my 3rd grader and Kindergartner could understand and stay interested. Some planet books tend to stray a bit from the planet topic into other things space related, and I liked that this book stayed strictly on topic. It served us very well for our basic study of the planets.
Elizabeth Peterson
Jun 10, 2014 Elizabeth Peterson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sophia-s-books
Sophia has been fascinated by Earth and Space lately, so I picked this up at the library. Probably a little advanced for her right now, but we had fun saying the names of the planets, and talking about different things. I tried to pick one real section on each page to read, and she listened to them all. It's fun to stretch her horizons!
Amy
This is a great book but slightly outdated. I think it could potentially be used in nature of science discussions. Students could read the book. You could challenge them to find more current information, via the internet or other sources.

I like the full color illustrations, and I like that in many cases the text describes the source of the illustrations.

Positives:
I liked that they translated the relative size of the earth compared to the sun into terms a child could understand - a basketball in
Audrey
Sep 06, 2015 Audrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introduction to the solar system. I really enjoyed this passage from the final page, "Our bodies are made up from some of the atoms that formed the sun and the stars and created the planets, moons, asteroids, comets, and meteoroids. We are all part of the universe." (p. 63)
Mara Meyer
Oct 06, 2014 Mara Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book does a wordeful job explaining "Our Solar System". The illustrations are amazing, as a reader you are able to protray how all the planets look and how the solar system works. I think it is a little wordy but is a good imformative book.
Elizabeth Nealon
In response to the understandably critical review of this book (outdated, as Pluto is no longer a planet) by member Lisa Vegan......of course, that is a valid criticism of this old edition, which I am sure remains in many libraries.

However, readers should be aware that Seymour Simon and HarperCollins brought out a revised edition immediately after the change, in 2007. The new edition reflects our current understanding of the Solar System, including the fact that there are only 8 planets.

For lib
Travis
this book is about our solar system, there is nine planets, one is a dwarf planet. There is a sun in the middle of our solar system and 4 of our planets are gas planets.
Ahmed
Its about the plants and the earth and tells about mars jupiter and the plants.I like about the book was how it told about the plants. there was to much information in the book so i did not like that. i think people who like sicence sould read this book. and also kids to learn more.
Caligal
May 21, 2015 Caligal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read to my 5 year old. A bit advanced but still a lot of things she can relate to and she enjoyed it .
Yazmin Villanueva
It can be a great book to read
Selena McCoy
This book could be used in Science to help teach students about the solar system. It would be good to use in fourth or fifth grade levels.
Trish Erhardt
This book provides real life pictures and an ample amount of factual information regarding each of the planets. In addition, it has a more scientific look into the solar system, with an introduction to some of the most amazing mysteries of the universe. I would recommend this book to anyone who wanted to go beyond the surface of knowing about planets. It has rich photographs that enhance your understanding of the various characteristics of the solar system.
Tichina Fung-chung
Our Solar System would be very useful when teaching a science lesson to children about planets. The pictures are very cool which I'm sure students would enjoy, but also has very easy to read facts to where acter sharing it with class, students can re-read it themselves.
Samantha
Nov 21, 2011 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any young one interested in space
This book was a good refresher for my mind. I haven't studied planets in a while, so it was nice to be able to review information learned when one is young, even if the information has been updated by modern discoveries =)
Emily
Dec 14, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informative
I like this book. It helps to inform about little bits of everything to do with the solar system. I think this is a great book for anyone to start out on reading about the solar system and specifically all the planets.
Donna
Dec 27, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Stunning photographed overview of the solar system for children who have a basic understanding of the planets.
Kelsey
I found the Smithsonian books to be incredibly interesting and informative. They have small box sections that are full of the beneficial information.

*informational, picture book
Non-fiction 1 1 Oct 26, 2015 05:44PM
  • The Case of the Vanishing Golden Frogs: A Scientific Mystery
  • What's So Special about Planet Earth?
  • Galapagos George
  • The Reasons for Seasons
  • My Visit to the Dinosaurs
  • When Lunch Fights Back: Wickedly Clever Animal Defenses
  • The Planets in Our Solar System
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Hillary Rodham Clinton: Some Girls Are Born to Lead
  • Underworld: Exploring the Secret World Beneath Your Feet
  • Just a Second
  • Groundhog Weather School
  • The Mighty Mars Rovers: The Incredible Adventures of Spirit and Opportunity
Seymour Simon, whom the NY Times called "the dean of [children's science:] writers," is the author of more than 250 highly acclaimed science books (many of which have been named Outstanding Science Trade Books for Children by the National Science Teachers Association).

Seymour Simon uses his website, SeymourSimon.com, to provide free downloads of a wealth of materials for educators, homeschoolers
More about Seymour Simon...