Start by marking “Our Solar System (revised edition)” as Want to Read:
Our Solar System (revised edition)

Our Solar System (revised edition)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Born almost 5 billion years ago at the edge of the Milky Way galaxy, our Solar System is a place filled with mystery and wonder. In the last fifty years, we have learned more than ever about the farthest reaches of our world. With dramatic full-color photographs and spacecraft images, Our Solar System takes young readers on a fascinating tour of the sun, the eight planets,...more
Published May 8th 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Our Solar System, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Solar System

Lisa Vegan
Nov 01, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody anymore, as its material is no longer accurate
This book is outdated. I loved reading about planet Pluto, but it’s a non-fiction book I wouldn’t recommend reading in 2010. In 1992, when it was published, I would have found it worthy.

The photos, illustrations, and other pictorial content are superb.

The solar system, the sun, each planet (at the time), asteroids, comets, and meteoroids are covered, and there is a fairly good index.

However, I’m sure there are more recently published books that would be better choices if the reader wants to le...more
Dolly
Nov 17, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several books by Seymour Simon and I really appreciate the way that he combines big, colorful photographs with informative, but not overwhelmingly detailed narratives. We learn a little more about each topic as we read and we are entertained as well.

In 2007, this book was updated to include more recent consensus on the status of Pluto and other planetary objects. It was a necessary change to the original book published in 1992. We really enjoyed reading this book together and our old...more
Laura Rogers
Seymour Simon rules the nonfiction shelves with his amazing photos. I love these books for the school age child. Younger ones may be able to understand the books by Gail Gibbons a little better - although the artwork in those doesn't stand up to the real photos in Simon's books. Excellent!
Cheryl
This is an updated version which explains the Pluto issue. It's the copy my library has. I thought the photos were gorgeous, but the text rather dry - hard going as a leisure read, but an excellent resource for a research report or a child who's really into space. I learned a couple of things.
Melanie Johnson
Did you know thatthe sun is star which its fuel is hydrogen? Which planet is closer to the sun? Do you know that the Earth might have been called Oceans or Water? How many moons does Jupiter has? The answer to these questions could be found in Our Solar System by award-winning author Seymour Simon. With over fifty dramatic, full-color photographs and an easy-to-read text it will takes you on a fascinating tour of the nine planets (actaully eight planets- Pluto is not a planet), dozens of moons,...more
Elizabeth Peterson
Sophia has been fascinated by Earth and Space lately, so I picked this up at the library. Probably a little advanced for her right now, but we had fun saying the names of the planets, and talking about different things. I tried to pick one real section on each page to read, and she listened to them all. It's fun to stretch her horizons!
Amy
This is a great book but slightly outdated. I think it could potentially be used in nature of science discussions. Students could read the book. You could challenge them to find more current information, via the internet or other sources.

I like the full color illustrations, and I like that in many cases the text describes the source of the illustrations.

Positives:
I liked that they translated the relative size of the earth compared to the sun into terms a child could understand - a basketball in...more
Mara Meyer
This book does a wordeful job explaining "Our Solar System". The illustrations are amazing, as a reader you are able to protray how all the planets look and how the solar system works. I think it is a little wordy but is a good imformative book.
Elizabeth Nealon
In response to the understandably critical review of this book (outdated, as Pluto is no longer a planet) by member Lisa Vegan......of course, that is a valid criticism of this old edition, which I am sure remains in many libraries.

However, readers should be aware that Seymour Simon and HarperCollins brought out a revised edition immediately after the change, in 2007. The new edition reflects our current understanding of the Solar System, including the fact that there are only 8 planets.

For lib...more
Ahmed
Its about the plants and the earth and tells about mars jupiter and the plants.I like about the book was how it told about the plants. there was to much information in the book so i did not like that. i think people who like sicence sould read this book. and also kids to learn more.
Trish Erhardt
This book provides real life pictures and an ample amount of factual information regarding each of the planets. In addition, it has a more scientific look into the solar system, with an introduction to some of the most amazing mysteries of the universe. I would recommend this book to anyone who wanted to go beyond the surface of knowing about planets. It has rich photographs that enhance your understanding of the various characteristics of the solar system.
Tichina Fung-chung
Our Solar System would be very useful when teaching a science lesson to children about planets. The pictures are very cool which I'm sure students would enjoy, but also has very easy to read facts to where acter sharing it with class, students can re-read it themselves.
Samantha
Nov 21, 2011 Samantha rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any young one interested in space
This book was a good refresher for my mind. I haven't studied planets in a while, so it was nice to be able to review information learned when one is young, even if the information has been updated by modern discoveries =)
Emily
I like this book. It helps to inform about little bits of everything to do with the solar system. I think this is a great book for anyone to start out on reading about the solar system and specifically all the planets.
Donna
Stunning photographed overview of the solar system for children who have a basic understanding of the planets.
Kelsey
I found the Smithsonian books to be incredibly interesting and informative. They have small box sections that are full of the beneficial information.

*informational, picture book
Julie Graham 47150
Seymour Simon gives an overview of our solar system that was the perfect amount of information to read aloud to all of my first graders. The photographs and drawings are stunning!
Amber Lynch
Introduction to the planets. Students learn details about the different planets and then they can create a simple report about the planet that they choose to report on.
Madeline
Our Solar System is a non-fiction book about the worlds outside of ours! The interesting facts and colorful pictures are sure to keep kids occupied for hours.
Patricia
Satchel
Our solar system was non-fiction. It's copy rite was 1992, so clealy Pluto was a planet. I thout it was a fantastec book!
Joel
I learned different things from each planet like
Mars has a mountain bigger than mountain Everest.
Hannah
Take a tour of the solar system and learn amazing facts.
Alexandria
I liked the whole book. My favorite planet is mars.
Bridget
This is on the hardcover shelf.
Richard
lt mite be a good book to read
Micah Eby
I liked it but it was pretty outdated.
H Shaffer
Use for craft
Don Gubler
Good graded reader.
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Oct 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Seymour Simon, whom the NY Times called "the dean of [children's science:] writers," is the author of more than 250 highly acclaimed science books (many of which have been named Outstanding Science Trade Books for Children by the National Science Teachers Association).

Seymour Simon uses his website, SeymourSimon.com, to provide free downloads of a wealth of materials for educators, homeschoolers...more
More about Seymour Simon...
Fun Facts about Pets Sharks Tornadoes Storms Snakes