The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A leading expert on native spirituality and shamanism reveals the four archetypal principles of the Native American medicine wheel and how they can lead us to a higher spirituality and a better world.
Published February 26th 1993 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Four-Fold Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four-Fold Way

Seth
It doesn't matter that the scholarship is suspect at best; Angeles Arrien's take on shamanic paths is a great filter to add to your collection. I use it all the time in my work.

Arrien is best-known for her work on tarot and astrology. Her interpretations in those areas are a) always geared toward generative change rather than remediation and b) always well-structured in an overarching system. Her take on Native American shamanism is as well. Unlike her tarot system, however, her shamanic paths f...more
Karen Jett
I'm read this book as preparation to work with a client using the leadership compass.

This is an easy to read book that divides the personality into 4 different abilities: Warrior (being present), Healer (heart), Visionary (truth), and Teacher (non-attachment). Unlike many other books, it's about becoming an effective leader by balancing your abilities in each area.

I especially liked the way the author not only described each area but also connected each back to nature and indigenous people's bel...more
Akira Sasabe
This is a wonderful self-reflection tool for someone who is interested in the native American traditions. Four archetypes described here provide a road map to understand your own personality, tendencies, shadows, and coping mechanisms. When I read this book, I felt so drawn to the images and ritualistic feelings anchoring different components in the book.
I read this book as part of my graduate study in organizational psychology. It really helped me to weave out my own theory of leadership person...more
Roxanne Claire
From my notes:
Four Principles: Show up; Pay attn to what has heart and meaning;tell the truth w/o blame or judgment; be open to outcome, not attached to outcome.

healing is a journey to wholeness. life-negating patterns: addictions such as intensity, perfection,need to know.

learning how to reclaim projections.

This book is dense with helpful information and suggestions. Told me a little more than I wanted to know about where I create problems for myself.
Tristy
I really enjoyed this. She focuses in on the four paths with wonderful rituals and meditations and reading this really helped me understand those four parts of myself more deeply. I also realized that we do not have to choose JUST one path, but can walk them all at various times. I also really loved the cave paintings and drawings included in the book. They are really powerful and went straight into my dreams.
Cresanda Allen
Amazing description of each archetype. Arrien gives tools to use to awaken each one. I enjoyed the ability to further define myself because of the books anecdotes and explanations.
She included a lot of principles that resonated with me.
Quinn
An excellent compilation of personality styles, working from the work you are called to do on earth. There are four sections: visionary, teacher, healer, and warrior. The book is a mystical approach to life's work. Each section includes strengths or gifts, the shadow side, the kind of meditation and body work that strengthens the soul.

I read the book as part of research on a poetry-writing class, and this book really helped me dig into the part of the experience that grows image-creation. A goo...more
Katie
I started reading this and practicing some of the methods in 2000, when I was a teacher. I have picked it up at times throughout the years to improve my spirituality in areas of my life.

I like the differing meditation styles and the musical instruments associated with each archetype. I re-read the whole book again before loaning it to a friend who better return it! It's nice to have a spiritual book to which I can refer with all of my margin notes. I also like the references to the tribes of th...more
Susan
My sister is a huge fan of Ms. Arrien. This is my first introduction to her work and so far, sadly, I cannot declare myself overwhelmed by her wisdom. Her writing is certainly balanced between scholarly and spiritual. Perhaps because this book is so solidly couched in western American Shamanism it is missing its mark with me.
Emil
Feb 21, 2009 Emil rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: occult
Angeles Arrien explicates an interesting and useful four element cosmology. Arrien provides suggested exercises and practices that, if followed, will bring change. The Cycle of Transformation workshops draw a lot from Arrien's work.
Mead Z
Love her rhythmic way of speaking about these archetypes in her audio book.
Crystal Freeman
Jun 16, 2008 Crystal Freeman rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Crystal by: professor
Shelves: self-help
I read this book in college and loved it and found myself applying it to my life.... but I was very into self help books then. It is a little free spirited if that is your style.
Anya Behn
Sep 09, 2010 Anya Behn marked it as to-read
recommended by the co-parenting counselor I am working with, *and* by my celtic shawoman.

So far, I am not finding it very interesting.
Jenica Love
I will probably read this book every season for the rest of my life, there is so much wisdom. Thank you Angeles Arrien.
Elizabeth

BUY THIS BOOK--this book is in the process of being bought

female author with Basque heritage.
Shana Hormann
I use this as an optional text in my overview leadership course. The Archetypes are alive and well!
Jen
Aug 26, 2008 Jen added it
I read it in college and it seems to be relevant again all of a sudden this year.
Jan
The ideas presented in this book could've been significantly condensed.
Jacque Roller
A guide to living
Theresa Norris
Amazing book!
Susan Burke
loved it
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Vasanth Matamudra
Vasanth Matamudra marked it as to-read
Becky Ryals
Becky Ryals marked it as to-read
Ankit
Ankit marked it as to-read
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • Nature and the Human Soul: Cultivating Wholeness and Community in a Fragmented World
  • The Red Book: A Deliciously Unorthodox Approach to Igniting Your Divine Spark
  • Pronoia is the Antidote for Paranoia: How the Whole World is Conspiring to Shower You With Blessings
  • Fire in the Head: Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Dancing in the Flames: The Dark Goddess in the Transformation of Consciousness
  • The Spiritual Dimension of the Enneagram: Nine Faces of the Soul
  • The Once and Future Goddess
  • Glad No Matter What: Transforming Loss and Change into Gift and Opportunity
  • Crossing to Avalon: A Woman's Midlife Quest for the Sacred Feminine
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • Roseanne: My Life as a Woman
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Quest
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • When the Drummers Were Women: A Spiritual History of Rhythm
  • Animal-Wise: The Spirit Language and Signs of Nature
  • The Way of the Shaman
cultural anthropologist, award-winning author, educator, and consultant to many organizations and businesses. She lectures and conducts workshops worldwide, bridging cultural anthropology, psychology, and comparative religions. Her work is currently used in medical, academic, and corporate environments. She is the President of the Foundation for Cross-Cultural Education and Research. Her books hav...more
More about Angeles Arrien...
The Tarot Handbook The Second Half of Life: Opening the Eight Gates of Wisdom Signs of Life: The Five Universal Shapes and How to Use Them The Nine Muses: A Mythological Path to Creativity Living in Gratitude: A Journey That Will Change Your Life

“When we dance we touch the essence of who we are and experience the unity between spirit and matter.” 1 likes
“But your heart muscle goes on working for as long as you live. It does not get tired, because there is a phase of rest built into every single heartbeat.” 0 likes