Start by marking “All Roads Lead To You” as Want to Read:
All Roads Lead To You

All Roads Lead To You

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Successful British model Sam was making a big name for himself on the catwalks of Rome when he met and fell head over heels in love with Lauro, a waiter in a pizza restaurant. Lauro, charming and naïve, returned all Sam's affection, and they enjoyed one passionate summer in the vibrant city and the wild campagna countryside beyond. But Sam had big dreams. He accepted a mod ...more
Published June 7th 2012 by FoxTales

To ask other readers questions about All Roads Lead To You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Roads Lead To You

Giulio
Set in Roma, this is a short and likeable story about a former Italian Pizza boy (named.. Lauro. Really? What a weird name choice) and a former American model.

I liked it a lot, although (view spoiler) was a pretty lame plot device.

Lots of good food, beautiful landscapes and some other Italian well crafted stereotypes.

"But my world since losing you has been no more of a joy to me than yours has been to you. My life has been un desert
Vivian Archer
Lovely and evocative with a sensuous mix of Old World charm and nature reclaiming that space. The story itself is bittersweet. Sam and Lauro, a perfect summer--lost moments and then, a chance to grab hold again. It is very much imbued with the brittle glitter of the Old World, infused with the melancholia of lost dreams. While it is short, and I could wish for more, I was content with the story.

Favorite quote:
“I'd like to kill the bastards who made you think you were anything other than beautif
MandyM
I was a little disappointed in this short story by one of my favourite authors. It's the story of a successful model, Sam, who falls in love with a gorgeous young Italian man (Lauro) while on assignment in Rome. After several very happy weeks together things fall apart when Lauro doesn't want to introduce Sam to his family, so Sam takes off for a plum modelling assignment in the US while Lauro goes ahead with an engagement to a woman.

My difficulty with the story was the lack of credibility. Sam
Ami
Three years ago, Sam was an up and raising model, ready to take the world, when he met Lauro in Rome, and fell in love with the pizza boy. But three years ago, Lauro refused to take Sammy to meet his family, and they had a fight. Thinking that Lauro wasn't ready to came out to the family or that Lauro was ashamed of him, Sam decided to take the career opportunity to New York and left Lauro behind. But New York hasn't been kind, and Sam returned to Rome not long after that. When he crosses his pa ...more
Feliz
I’ve come to appreciate Harper Fox as a master of setting and place. In this story, Rome and the Campagna countryside were described in vivid pictures, and not only the views, but also the mood and rhythm of this ancient, crumbling, postmodern, brimming-with-life city was perfectly caught. I almost felt transported right there and greatly enjoyed the ride.
Also, the characters were well-formed for such a short format, especially Sam, the viewpoint character. Smoothly written and engaging, the sto
Karen
Harper Fox is amazing. As usual once I started reading this story I could not put it down. Right from the start I was hooked the characters are wonderfully flawed and human, so easy to relate to. Sam's story broke my heart and I wanted so much for Lauro to be his knight in shining armour, but instead the author gave the story an ending that was far more believable and touching then any knight in armour could have provided.

I found that this was a story in which the MC's fell in love not so much w
Ayanna
OH MY GOD THIS IS SO GOOD.

Loved it, darling. Loved it.

It was short, but really packed a punch. It was tragic, it was sweet, it HAD SUBTLE NUANCES (I know, I know; perish the thought).

It's short, but I get a really strong sense of the backstory.

I see there are lots of reviews all over the board. I think for me personally, since I don't really read primarily for plot, I wasn't caught up in the "inauthenticity" of the plot. For this one especially, the main features are the character interactions a
Anyta Sunday
3.5

A short story that doesn’t live up to the author’s potential.

That sounds harsh, but it’s not, really. Harper Fox is holding the bar very, very high with some of the amazing novels she’s written, and I’m comparing her to her other work. And this story just doesn’t quite reach that bar.

Mrs. Fox has a delicious writing style. It is descriptive, emotive, and every time it pulls me into the world she has created. This short story also demonstrates this skill with words, however the story itself
Kaje Harper
This is a beautiful, painful story about a man who had it all - a top modeling job and a sweet sexy beloved, and lost it due to a few bad decisions. He's fallen to being a high-priced escort, and yearning to reconnect with the boy he loved. But when they do meet again, it doesn't go well. I loved the characters, the unusual story line, the emotions... I so much want to see what happens next. They are poised on the brink at the end, and while it is a complete story it feels like the breath before ...more
Tami (synchro from BL)
This was slightly disappointing.
Great descriptive and flawless writing, but the characters remained pale and insignificant beyond their physical beauty or other appearances.
Jaya
SlashReader: Truth be told I probably would not have picked up such a short volume, except for the fact that I have come to admire and enjoy Harper Fox's writing quiet a lot. I was skeptical at first but as I have read more... I find myself appreciating the lyrical qualities to her work.

If you haven't read anything else by Harper Fox, this might be a nice place to start. This is her first self published work and is decently done.

My only problem with the piece was that I actually wanted it to be
Cris
I was reading this book while sitting between two friends at the pool and all of a sudden I went "Holy Shit!" startling all of us. Then I just smiled sheepishly and said "Plot twist" :)

This was a really good book, and it just breathed the desolation of the main character, Sam. I probably should have seen the twist that made me jump coming, but even though I didn't, it made total sense shortly thereafter.

I'm not sure I buy the end, but I don't even care. I loved the characters and I thought the s
Natalie
As I've come to expect from Harper Fox, the writing is for the most part lovely and evocative. Rome is described beautifully, and all the makings of a good story are here. What didn't work for me was the length. This novella starts out with an awkward info dump, and there's a lot crammed into the rest of the story: lost love, prostitution, the mafia. None of it is really given enough space to be satisfying, and as a result I didn't entirely connect with the characters.
beppy
synopsis:
sam was a successful model living in rome when he met and fell in love with lauro, a waiter in a restaurant. they had a wonderful summer, but it was mitigated by the fact that lauro never seemed to want to introduce sam to his family. when sam was offered the chance to model in the US, he accepted and left lauro behind. unfortunately, he wasn't what they were looking for, and sam quickly became a gigolo. when he moved back to rome, he never expected to run into lauro, or that he would b
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I'm sad to say that this book was a disappointment for me. One of my favorite books is Harper Fox's Life After Joe so I was just astounded to find that I didn't enjoy this one. First of all, the theme is one that I don't often like. I had no idea that this book was about (view spoiler), which for some reason is a trope that doesn't work for me. Another thing that bugged me was the tone. It was just relentlessly bitter and depressing. The main problem for me though was th ...more
Dianne
This is a beautifully executed short story. The moods experienced by both Sam & Lauro, as well as those radiated from the Italian setting, were vividly portrayed. The author deftly maneuvers the reader through such issues as: miscommunication! avoidance of truth! assumptions! impetuousness! bravado! and... poor knowledge of Italian numerals ;-) to bring us a genuinely engaging story of true love. I was pleasantly surprised and thoroughly engaged with the clever plot twists (and readily admit ...more
Antonella
4.5

I notice just now that I've never rated this. See reviews by Ami or Feliz.

Kukko
I am a bit ambivalent about this short MM romance.

It's about a supermodel, turned prostitute (Sam) and an italian waiter turned mobster (Lauro). Sam was Lauro's first male lover.

On the one hand, I love the premise of the story……..on the other hand, after finishing it, I am left somewhat dissatisfied - this is a very short story, with very little dialogue (because much of the story is devoted to Sam's thoughts). Even as the story concludes, it is obvious that both MCs still have major obstacles
Hilcia
I do enjoy a good gay romance by Harper Fox, unfortunately this was not it. Set in Italy, in my opinion this story about a model-turned-rent boy and his first love-turned-mafia boss tried too hard. It had a pretty unbelievable plot line with too many different conflicts going on at the same time and little room for development due to the short format. A good premise never realized.
Plainbrownwrapper
I'm an unabashed Harper Fox fangirl. In my not-at-all humble opinion, every romance reader should be required to read her stories. Her prose and her sense of place are both hard to beat.

That said, this isn't my favorite Fox story, by far. It's too short to really develop either the characters or plot adequately. Nonetheless, it's a good short read.
Anastasia
I loved the characters and the story was beautiful but like Mandy I was surprised that Sam ended up being a rentboy and then in Italy, when he barely speaks the language. Still a well written story and while it was short and left me wanting to know, what happens next, since the ending is pretty open, it's still a very romantic story.
Robin Covington
There is a reason that Harper is one of my favorite authors - her gift with words is so moving and engrossing that I have to devour every book.My only complaint is that this book was a novella and I wanted to spend more time with the characters.
Molli B.
4.5ish rounded down to 4. Very good, but not great. Liked both main characters, liked the little twist with Lauro's history, and I could see their story, what comes after this, being a longer work. As always, enjoyed Harper's writing.
Manda
This is a wonderful short story. Loved the characters and journey, how Harper packs so much into so few pages, leaving you satisfied at the end is truly amazing.
Jeydaa
I enjoy the writing much more than the storyline but that also means that this is a great short read, if not my preference.
Mickie Ashling
4.5 A great read although too short for my taste. I wanted more in this universe. More please?
Sage Marlowe
Lovely read, great characters. The plot and conflicts have potential - I'd be happy to see more
JSidelinger
Short sweet romantic story - I will write more later
Alexandra
A bit heavy with the cheese for my taste.
  • Perfect Day
  • The Other Guy
  • Exiled to Iowa. Send Help. And Couture
  • Trust Me If You Dare (Romano and Albright, #2)
  • Forever  (Spy vs. Spook, #3)
  • Vassily the Beautiful (The ESTO Universe, #1)
Harper Fox is an M/M author with a mission. She’s produced six critically acclaimed novels in a year and is trying to dispel rumours that she has a clone/twin sister locked away in a study in her basement. In fact she simply continues working on what she loves best– creating worlds and stories for the huge cast of lovely gay men queuing up inside her head. She lives in rural Northumberland in nort ...more
More about Harper Fox...