Start by marking “zoo's who” as Want to Read:
zoo's who

zoo's who

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Climb on into Douglas Florian's latest poetry compendium, featuring twenty-one original poems and paintings about creatures from across the animal kingdom.

With sleepy sloths and portly pigs, lazy lizards and regal eagles, this creeping, leaping, sweeping collection of zoological delights is certain to have animal enthusiasts everywhere rattling their cages for more.
Published April 1st 2005 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about zoo's who, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about zoo's who

A_Susan
Jun 10, 2012 A_Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Florian describes various animals in short verse using interesting, clever, and sometimes humorous word play. The sophiscated, imaginative illustrations demand as much attention (if not more) as the poems. The illustrations provide a full page image done with watercolor, colored pencils, inks, wrappers, shredded paper, stencils, stamps, and collages on paper bags. Each includes stamped letters cleverly placed to spell the animal’s name. The illustrations depict the animals, but also contain inte ...more
Mackenzie Ford
Genre: Poetry
Theme(s): Animals, Children’s Poetry, Juvenile Poetry
Opening Line/Sentence: Lizards laze and lizards bask

Brief Book Summary:
This book is about various poems about many different animals. Some of the poems about the different animals talk about what the animal does, characteristics, some of the sounds they make and many other traits these different animals display.

Professional Recommendation #1
Josette
Jun 30, 2008 Josette rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Great poetry book for children. Short, pithy little poems that a 2 or 3 year old could probably memorize (or type and print one on a page and have them draw a picture to go with it). Great collage artwork.
Elizabeth Smith
Jul 12, 2015 Elizabeth Smith rated it really liked it
Florian, Douglas. Zoo’s Who. San Diego: Harcourt, Inc, 2005. Poetry, Fiction, animals. In this children’s book of poems Douglas Florian takes us through a colorful journey of getting to know about many different types of animals. I love how the author took a subject so simple and brought it to life. The illustrations have a dark modern art feel to them and the reader gets a sense of enjoyment with Florian’s word play. Even though this book has many good qualities I think it could be better in rh ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
this is a gem—fantastic art, clever poetry good for all ages.
Jenn
Feb 06, 2012 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: eced221, poetry
This book is a collection of short poems about different animals including lizards, eagles, manta rays, penguins, bush babies, tortoises, ladybugs, snakes, sharks, pigs, bats, puffins, and several others. It is a short book and would be good for younger readers. The characters include various animals in various settings and there is no real conflict or resolution throughout the book as each poem is their own little section.
This book brings sounds to life. The poems all have a rhyme scheme and th
Haizelbear
May 15, 2016 Haizelbear rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-230h
Each opening of the book had a poem about a different animal; some of the featured animals are lizards, manta rays, and eagles. The rhyming pattern differs between poems, some are A,B,C,B while others are A,B,A,C,A and some are A,A. The illustrations are done with some kind of paint. I would use this book to teach about all the different rhyming patterns there are to work with in poetry. I could also use this book to teach about homophones, or words that come close to being categorized that way ...more
Katie Turley
Jul 07, 2015 Katie Turley rated it really liked it
Shelves: eng-355
Poetry book about different animals in the zoo.
I liked this book. I would share it with students to show them poems and help them write their own.
Kylie
Apr 26, 2013 Kylie rated it really liked it
Zoo's who is a book complied of poems about different animals you would see in a zoo. This book is easily relatable to student's lives and previous knowledge. The art work in the book is a little abstract but a way to introduce different art forms.

I would use this book in my class when talking about poetry. I think the book is written really well and would serve as a great mentor text for a poetry unit.

After reading this book in my classroom, I would have students select their "favorite" animal.
Carson Marie
With creatively different illustrations to elaborate the poems about some of our favorite zoo animals.
Jessica Lynch
Feb 24, 2012 Jessica Lynch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eced-221
Zoo's Who is a collection of animal poems. It has a poem for lizards, eagle, manta ray, penguin, bush baby, tortoise, ladybugs, snake, sharks, pigs, bats, puffin, slugs, rhino, terns, wallaby, ant, sloth, shrew, owl, and sheep. It is a really good collection to start off a lesson of animals. It will grab the students attention because it has sounds such as rhythm and rhyme; it also has very nice and bright images. I really enjoyed reading the book, it might not have took me that long to read it ...more
Melanie
Jul 17, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
We enjoyed the poems and illustrations in this book. My kids liked the clever poetry about animals.
Tyler Cempre
Jun 30, 2013 Tyler Cempre rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I really liked because it was short and sweet. The book includes a lot of different animals that students may or may not be familiar with which I think is nice because it broadens the students’ view of the animal kingdom. I would definitely recommend this book to a teacher who is covering animals or environments because it is a great way to differentiate the curriculum. Again, it is another good example for students if they are going to compile their personal poems to make a ...more
Natalie Quinn
Apr 04, 2012 Natalie Quinn rated it it was amazing
Great little poetry book about animals and insects. Very light and funny vocabulary that would be great for the use in the low primary grades. I would incorporate this into my classroom for extra reading at the end of class...especially if we were doing a unit on the Zoo or going to be taking a trip to the local Zoo soon! Great book to introduce children to poetry at a young age.
Amy
Mar 10, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
It's a poetry book that has 2-4 lines about a specific animal on each page. It is really cute to read. It would be cute to read to kids if you were discussing a specific animal because it gives you hints about their likes or habits. I would use this to get them thinking and to access prior knowledge.

I think all grades would enjoy this, but I would use this in K-2nd grade.
Jacqueline Lang
Feb 05, 2012 Jacqueline Lang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Zoo's Who is a super cute book with great 4-8 line poems about different animals you will find in a zoo. The poems rhyme making it a very fun read for kids. And there is a picture to go along with every poems which are very interesting drawings of the animal that is being described in the poem.
Jessica Freeman
Jessica Freeman marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Karen Reeson
Karen Reeson marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Alaska Hults
Alaska Hults rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
S Economy
S Economy marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Paige
Paige added it
Mar 22, 2016
Laura added it
Jan 26, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Monica
Monica added it
Dec 05, 2015
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Janelle
Janelle rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2015
Camille Rivera
Camille Rivera rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015