Start by marking “2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month” as Want to Read:
2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month

2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month

Melissa “Liss” Burnell has provided an extensive frugal living resource online for over a decade and presents a 2012 Grocery guide for struggling students and families of all sizes and income ranges.
The average family of 4 in the United States spends more than $700 a month on groceries alone. In the “2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month" the author outlines ho
Published 2012

To ask other readers questions about 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month

Robyn Groth
After I buy a deep freezer, a vegetable slicer, a food processor, a vacuum sealer, a newspaper subscription, a Sam's Club membership and a bunch of jars and baggies I can start saving money on food.
Su
Dec 30, 2012 Su rated it it was ok
A quick read that I got free on Kindle. If this is your first time delving into the world of grocery shopping on a budget, then there's probably something here for you. Otherwise, it's a lot of the same stuff that everybody says. It does seem to be a summary of, or possibly an introduction to, the associated website. If you want to pick up quick tips in a hurry, then it's worth checking out, but only if you can get it free or borrow it-- I read it in 20 minutes on the bus, and the information ...more
Shannon
Apr 03, 2013 Shannon rated it liked it
I got this for free through BookBub but I would pay a buck or two for it. If you are fresh out of college or your parents, I would recommend you read this book. Learn it. Keep it.
If, like me, you've been at it awhile, there are a few new things to be learned and I did like how the author offers options for meal planning, shopping, etc. Finally someone recognizes that it's not a one-size-fits-all dilemma!
I will say that I liked the DIY mixes ideas and recipes and I have already started following
Maryfran
Sep 06, 2012 Maryfran rated it liked it
This was a very practical read that gives the consumer some very clear and concise ideas to save money during grocery shopping. I found many of the ideas to be basic knowledge, things that anyone that has half a brain, or has contemplated saving money in groceries would already know. However, there were some nuggets of useful information that can be gleaned. The best find for me, were the links to the numerous recipes that offers the consumer to make many of the convenience products that we ...more
Laura Cushing
Sep 06, 2012 Laura Cushing rated it really liked it
Quick read of some grocery budget tips - borrowed last night from the Kindle Lending Library, and read in about an hour. Not worth the price - a borrower only.

Tips are useful, if basic. Plan on checking out the website associated with it.
Melinda Hammontree
Feb 09, 2013 Melinda Hammontree rated it did not like it
I'm glad this book is free because it isn't worth anything. The tips are basic, and the only grocery purchases and menu in the book was for dinners for 5 days. I could spend just $50 a week if I only fed my family 1 meal a day for only 5 days. We should probably fast the rest of the time.
Rachel
This was an okay little book. Glad I got it free, as it really didn't have anything
new in it. If you are new to trying to save money it would probably be of some help,
but if you've been working at it for a while....save your time(and money if you can't
get it free)and give it a bypass.
Daniel
Jun 08, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it
Shelves: finance
A little short, with some already known tips (for me), and a bunch of recipes. It is ok if you get it for free or for a low price.
Nicole
Jul 13, 2013 Nicole rated it it was ok
This was read in my "clean up my kindle" phase. Some good ideas - only a couple that were new to me. The formatting of the ebook was terrible.
April
Sep 05, 2012 April rated it did not like it
Full of ideas that I already knew. Also, the numbers (as far as meal planning) didn't add up. A few so-so recipes in the back.
Jasmine
Apr 25, 2013 Jasmine rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
Some of the information was helpful, but this was nothing I have not read in other money saving books or articles. Not too original.
Amy
Oct 10, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle, 2012
Not as helpful as I thought/hoped it would be.
Crystal
Jan 21, 2013 Crystal rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Has good ideas/ recipes.
Sabina Kelly
Feb 11, 2013 Sabina Kelly rated it it was ok
A good reminder on what to do... Got it free.
Lori McKellar
Nov 03, 2016 Lori McKellar rated it really liked it
Got this book from Bookbub for free, and so glad I did. Simple format, easy recipes. I refer to it often. The recipe for meatloaf is great!!! Even if you don't usually like meatloaf!!
Susan
Sep 27, 2014 Susan rated it liked it
Family Guide to Groceries Under $250 a month by Melissa Burnell was a book I had high hopes for providing me with new ways to cut my grocery bill down. I already do mostly everything mentioned in the book including the coupons, vacuum sealing, and my own recipes. I also am aware of the packaging deception, placement of items on store shelves, and the club stores bulk buying. There really was nothing in the book that I found new or useful except some of the recipes which I can just substitute ...more
Susan Edmondson
Dec 20, 2015 Susan Edmondson rated it really liked it
It was good

It was a good beginner's guide to saving money. I will try some of the recipes for dry mixes. If you are a good couponer some of the tips offered you will be already using.
Katya
Feb 22, 2016 Katya rated it really liked it
Although there was nothing earth-shattering in this little book, I still jotted down a few notes while reading it. It was more motivating than anything else. Hope it inspires you too :)
Kay
Feb 09, 2015 Kay rated it it was amazing
Good tips

I enjoyed the ideas. Wish someone would write a similar book for single folks. Along with pantry ideas or list.
Julie
Jan 18, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This book even though written for 2012 didn't seem to take in affect of the rising food prices of today. Had a couple of good hints but most I already new.
Nancy  Jackson
Nancy Jackson rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2015
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Amy  Taylor
Amy Taylor rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Beverly L
Beverly L rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Jaimie
Jaimie rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2013
Tina
Tina rated it it was ok
Feb 25, 2013
Rashidat
Rashidat rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Laura rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2013
Ken Carr
Ken Carr rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Couponing for the Beginner: A Guide to Couponing for the Uninitiated
  • Store This! Simple Home Storage Systems & House Organization Solutions
  • How to Feed a Family of 4 or More for Less than $200 a Month
  • The Soulmate Experience: A Practical Guide to Creating Extraordinary Relationships
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You
  • Kitchen Organization Made Easy: Creative Kitchen Storage and Pantry Storage Solutions
  • Joyful Momma's Guide to Shopping & Cooking Frugally
  • Frugal Gourmet Ideas: Secrets to Saving Thousands in the Kitchen
  • We Use Coupons, You Should Too! How Couponing Saved My Life
  • Unclutter Your Life! How to Tame Your Mess, Calm Your Mind, Lighten your Load
  • The ABC's of Freezer Cooking
  • Twenty-Five Cent Dinners for Families of Six
  • Saving for Retirement without Living Like a Pauper or Winning the Lottery
  • The Slow Cooker Cookbook: 87 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Recipes for Slow Cooked Meals
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • From Ramen To Riches: Building Wealth In Your 20s, Or Spending, Saving, Investing And Managing Your Money To Get Rich Slowly, But Surely
  • Smart School Time Recipes
  • The Organized Kitchen: Keep Your Kitchen Clean, Organized, And Full Of Good Food and Save Time, Money, (And Your Sanity) Every Day!