Start by marking “A Time to Love (Star Trek)” as Want to Read:
A Time to Love (Star Trek)

A Time to Love (A Time To... (Star Trek:TNG) #5)

A century ago the long-running conflict between two alien civilizations ended when both of them colonised the same distant planet, becoming instead a shining example of inter-species cooperation and coexistence. Now an investigation headed by Kyle Riker -- estranged father of Commander William Riker -- has revealed how fragile their hard-won paradise is. Within a few gener ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 263 pages
Published May 25th 2004 by Star Trek

To ask other readers questions about A Time to Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time to Love

Crystal Bensley
Jun 11, 2015 Crystal Bensley rated it liked it
Not a huge fan of the writing style but the mystery itself is definitely exciting!
Adam
Jul 22, 2016 Adam rated it it was ok
A rather middling affair which - despite its short length - feels like it drags on far too long. After Starfleet decides that Picard and the Enterprise should be assigned a more challenging mission, the crew are faced with investigating an outbreak of violence on Federation colony Delta Sigma IV. Riker's absent father Kyle is somehow involved, leaving Will to track him down and Beverly to hunt for a cure to the outbreak.

Robert Greenberger clearly wants to explore some of Riker's unresolved angst
Joshua Palmatier
Aug 06, 2012 Joshua Palmatier rated it it was ok
This is the first part of a duology (with A TIME TO HATE) in this nine part Star Trek series chronicling the activities of the Enterprise and crew between the two movies Insurrection and Nemesis. The first four books were great. This one, not so much.

The basic premise is that two warring cultures were colonizing planets and both laid claim to Delta Sigma IV a hundred years ago. Rather than fight over the planet, the two races--the Bader and the Dorset--decided to work together and forged a new p
Brian Lewis
May 09, 2016 Brian Lewis rated it did not like it
I feel bad to the author for giving the book a 1 star, but when I think about all the ways this book was a let down, it seems the most appropriate rating. My primary reason for disliking the book seems to be the result of whoever organized this series, and not necessarily the authors' doing alone, and so far, it's been true of all the previous books in this series.

Each set of stories seem to follow this pattern: Develop a plot for one book from each author, then pad so much filler to the story t
Jesse Lehrer
Feb 04, 2014 Jesse Lehrer rated it it was ok
Another meh book in this series...it's becoming harder and harder to continue the series but I'll probably finish it since the books read so fast. They must have all had the same editor, or had writing guides or something because every single book is so repetitive in the same ways. Superfluous and repetitive inner dialogue? Check. Fond fanfic references to friends? Check. Picard musings? Check.

Love very poorly explains its own plot. The disease of violence just kinda happens and the story just k
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 Maurice Jr. rated it it was amazing
Another good read! The Enterprise is now tasked with helping the people of Delta Sigma IV figure out why someone committed their first murder in a hundred years. Two belligerent races, the Bader and the Dorset, colonized the planet together and against their abrasive natures, formed a peaceful society together. When they joined the Federation, they discovered that their life spans were shortening. Starfleet Medical solved that problem, but now the Bader and the Dorset are acting violently for th ...more
Rosemary
May 01, 2011 Rosemary rated it it was ok
I have a compulsion (or maybe, really it's a fetish--I'm a little murky on the distinction, as well as my own responses) to finish a series. This is the 5th book in the A Time to... series of Star Trek: The Next Generation novels set between the movies Star Trek: Resurrection and Star Trek: Nemesis.

I liked the first four well enough. Complex, lots of emphasis on characters I like but often aren't the focus of things.

Perhaps the reason I'm so ambivalent about this on is that, well, I never reall
Julia
Aug 20, 2008 Julia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Star Trek series
Emma
Sep 01, 2014 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-books
Jeffrey
Aug 03, 2011 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Wow, finally one of this series of books hits the nail on the head. Robert Greenberger writes an excellent story with great action and suspense. I recall these were the types of Star Trek books that got me so into reading them in the first place. Several storylines that are interlinked and the book bounces around hitting on all the storylines in a logical and entertaining manner. Some books go on and on covering one storyline until you have forgotten the "other" storylines, but NOT in this book. ...more
Andrew
Dec 03, 2015 Andrew rated it it was ok
The A Time Too books are amazingly formulaic. The first 8 books are 4 pairs of two-book stories. The first book has some conflict that only gets larger, and the second book has the solution. I'm getting tired of it.

The problem here is kind of silly, but not as ridiculous as the first two books (view spoiler). Unfortunately the editor(s) stopped paying attention about 200 pages in, so there are obvious mist
Bill Sweet
Dec 06, 2011 Bill Sweet rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
Again, ending on a cliffhanger, which I'm not in love with. But at least I know it's coming in this series. Not nearly as "meh" as some of the previous duologies in this series. Still not getting that feeling of Trek unbound, which I like in some of the older TOS novels, but at least the story is interesting and not puerile. I'm thinking Riker has possibilities in fiction because he was kind of flat on the screen at times, so there's room to fill something in.
Jimyanni
Apr 12, 2011 Jimyanni rated it liked it
Shelves: star-trek
This book is half of a well-written, compelling story. If you enjoy books that end on a cliffhanger, with an implied "tune in next time, same bat-time, same bat-channel" continuation to the next book, then consider this a five-star review. If, on the other hand, like me you get dreadfully sick of paying money for a book with no ending, you may want to avoid it, or at least plan on reading it continuously with the next book in the series and treating them as one book under two covers.
John Cipolla
Nov 03, 2015 John Cipolla rated it liked it
Was a fair book. Picard sent to save a planet and the planet degenerates in to riots that they are left to deal with later. I They are searching for who started the mess in the first place which was Kyle Riker. Missing through out the whole book. I like the new characters. Lt Vale . She is a good security officer who eventually finds her self on Titan.
Enni
Sep 13, 2010 Enni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
This was my first Star Trek novel in a long time. I enjoyed it because it was a little like meeting old friends LOL. I didn't realize that it is one of a whole series of "A time to ..." book and this is the 6th book of them. It doesn't bring a solution to the problems on the planet so I guess I will have to read the next one in the series also.
Tom
Dec 16, 2014 Tom rated it liked it
A TIME TO LOVE is well written and a good read. I enjoyed it, but honestly I think it and A TIME TO HATE could have been one book. The funny thing in "LOVE" is that on page 100 Troi beams back to the Enterprise, but on page 101 she is clearly still on the surface of the planet with Picard. I found this goof hilarious but forgivable. All in all, "LOVE," is worth reading.
Joe
Jul 04, 2016 Joe rated it really liked it
the book is an entertaining Whodunnit with the involvement of several beloved characters and a few fringe characters returning. The action moves quickly, with some twists and turns. It ends on somewhat of a cliffhanger, and is continued in the next book of the series. A nice tale in the Star Trek universe!
Luca Mauri
Dec 26, 2013 Luca Mauri rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished, on, star, trek, 2010, a, time, to, sci-fi, 3, apr
Unfortunately this novel accomplishes almost nothing by itself. It just act as a prologue for the whole story that (hopefully) will be told in the second one of the two volumes mini-arc.
The problem is that this first part of the story is artificially enlarged to encompass a full book, but it is clear that it would need much less space to be told equally effectively, if not more.
Kristen
Jan 23, 2016 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, sci-fi
Like it's sequel, this one is just ok. I found the situation fairly interesting, but I thought Troi was actually underutilized. She's one of my least favorite characters, but in a book about an entire planet going inexplicably crazy, well, she should be a central figure in the solution. I mean, helping people like that is what she DOES.
Craig Andrews
Yet again another fantastic change of pace. These books concentrate on a much more diplomatic mission and also had a lot of intrigue in the Starfleet Intelligence sub-plot. Yet more answers to the who's and why's of the start of Nemesis too !
Angela
The Enterprise is sent on a mission to find the reason for a murder. Riker's father is involved somehow, and has gone missing. Meanwhile, there's a medical mystery to solve. It's a decent story. and the character interactions are done really well. The plot twists are engaging. A good read.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
Now we get to see what brought Troi and Riker to their marriage decision.
Mr. Koop
Mar 19, 2014 Mr. Koop rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-trek
This series is getting harder and harder to swallow. I'm finding the storyline is growing rather stale and I had to finish this book just so I could continue the series.
SA
Nov 21, 2010 SA rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
another step down the road. again, geordi and data were the best parts.
Matt
Jan 23, 2013 Matt rated it liked it
Not the best among this series, but still captivating.
Leland
Apr 12, 2013 Leland rated it it was amazing
Great series of Star Trek novels... Can't wait to pick these up again.
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
John R.
John R. rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2017
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #4)
  • A Time to Heal (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #8)
  • A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek, the Next Generation)
  • A Time to Die
  • Greater than the Sum (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Before Dishonor (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Vectors (Star Trek: Double Helix #2)
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Sword of Damocles (Star Trek Titan #4)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #2)
  • Q-Zone (Star Trek: The Next Generation #48; The Q Continuum, #2)

A Time To... (Star Trek:TNG) (9 books)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #1)
  • A Time to Die
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Harvest (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #4)
  • A Time to Hate (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • A Time to Heal (Star Trek: The Next Generation: Time, #8)
  • A Time for War, A Time for Peace (Star Trek, the Next Generation)