Start by marking “China Dog: And Other Tales from a Chinese Laundry” as Want to Read:
China Dog: And Other Tales from a Chinese Laundry

China Dog: And Other Tales from a Chinese Laundry

A chorus of immigrant voices populates Judy Fong Bates's graceful and poignant first collection. Denizens of the ubiquitous small towns around Ontario, as far from their native land as can be imagined yet united by their proximity to the local Chinese laundry, her characters have in common their driving desire to assimilate, to fit in, to belong to a "majority" culture. Bu ...more
Published June 13th 2002 by Counterpoint (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about China Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about China Dog

The Chinese in America by Iris ChangOn Gold Mountain by Lisa SeeThe Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. BorosonSweet and Sour by John JungAsian American Dreams by Helen Zia
Chinese American history
77th out of 101 books — 9 voters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonTrancing the Tiger by Rachael SlateThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterThe Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis
The Chinese Zodiac
289th out of 474 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Tabitha Krug
Jul 03, 2014 Tabitha Krug rated it liked it
A nice collection of stories about the Cantonese experience immigrating and making a life in small town Canada, set between the 50s and 80s, I believe. A little different from the experiences I'm used to reading about set in San Francisco, but no big surprises. Great story telling, though--I read most of it in one sitting. (It's pretty short)
Michiel
If I could put 3 1/2, I would. I liked it, but it didn't quite rank up there with my other 4 star books. Part of the reason I liked it is that I like reading about Chinese immigrant experience, and also I like short stories. And then, it is well-written. That always puts a book on the plus side for me.

The collection reminded me a lot of Amy Tan's books, but the characters seemed a little more sane and civil than Tan's.

I think this collection gave me a whole new outlook on the people, actual peop
Nicole
Jan 15, 2011 Nicole added it
I love this book. The author brought humor and history of the Chinese People who come to the US for a better life but still long to return to their homes in China. The author had me laughing almost througout the book but it also brought tears. It is a reminder of what the difficulties immagrants face when they come to this country for a better life and how they have to struggle not only with a language that is difficult to understand and learn to speak but also in having to deal with the prejudi ...more
Sue
Apr 19, 2014 Sue rated it liked it
George
May 09, 2009 George rated it liked it
Judy Fong Bate's collection of short stories, 'China Dog: And Other Tales from a Chinese Laundry,' has simmered on my wish list for three years, ever since I read her letter collection: Midnight at the Dragon Cafe. I'm glad I finally found the chance to read it. It consists of eight very readable/enjoyable short stories about immigrant life in small town Canada: An interesting perspective.

Recommendation: Both collections are well worth reading. Enjoy.
Cathy
Jan 17, 2015 Cathy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
I enjoyed this book of short stories by Canadian writer, Judy Fong Bates. I love to read about the Chinese immigrant experience, especially altering having lived in China for the last 5 months. The driving desire to assimilate: Bates shows this well. Don't we all have that desire, whether we are immigrants or not?
Margaret
Feb 23, 2016 Margaret rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir
Fascinating stories. Writing somewhat uneven; seemed to improve as book progressed. Clear that Chinese immigrant experience mostly excludes lo fan; none ever have any substance. There is also a sameness to many of the stories which is not surprising but they are not "officially" connected.
Nate
Jul 09, 2007 Nate rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
I was pleasantly surprised by the time spanning all the short stories bound in this book, which document Chinese immigrant experiences in Canada and several areas around the USA. Reading it while in China gave it a whole new meaning that has bored its way into my brain forever.
Craig
Jan 18, 2008 Craig rated it really liked it
An interesting collection of short stories that definitely gets stronger in the last couple of pieces... I enjoyed the way that all of the stories featured a restaurant or a laundromat and as you went along, there were connections between all of them.
Catherine
Feb 10, 2009 Catherine rated it really liked it
A nice compendium of immigrant tales.
Katie
Jul 24, 2008 Katie rated it liked it
Shelves: how-others-live
Bee, I'll pass this one on to you!
Cynthia
Jul 19, 2010 Cynthia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
CHINA -
Lise Sirois
Lise Sirois marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Risa
Risa added it
Sep 16, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Jeff Richey
Jeff Richey rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Heather Kirby
Heather Kirby rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
April Cowan
April Cowan marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Safa
Safa rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
VannyVy
VannyVy rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Chancois
Chancois rated it really liked it
May 07, 2016
Toria
Toria marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Toria
Toria marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Soarlighter
Soarlighter marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Syeda
Syeda marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016