Start by marking “Tales of a Chinese Grandmother: 30 Traditional Tales from China” as Want to Read:
Tales of a Chinese Grandmother: 30 Traditional Tales from China

Tales of a Chinese Grandmother: 30 Traditional Tales from China

This illustrated multicultural children's book presents classic Chinese fairy tales and other folk stories—providing a delightful look into a rich literary culture.

Chinese folklore tradition is as colorful and captivating as any in the world, but the stories themselves still are not as well-known to Western readers as those from The Brothers Grimm, Mother Goose, or Hans Ch
Published August 1st 2001 by Tuttle Publishing (first published January 1st 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of a Chinese Grandmother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of a Chinese Grandmother

Kathy Chung
Jul 20, 2014 Kathy Chung rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wonderful books. its good to know someone had written down these wonderful stories for the coming generation to enjoy.

I have hear/ read some of the stories in this book during my youth. it's certainly nice to revisit them.

reading it also gave me a sad feeling. I wonder how many of the next generation of readers would read and enjoy this. how many would know of the tales ......
Ruth Dahl
I enjoy reading fairy tales from different cultures, and this was a fun glimpse into ancient Chinese culture.
I also reaaaaaallllyyy need a short film done about 'The Pained Eyebrow'
Suvi
Apr 04, 2008 Suvi rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books that I accidentally discovered at the library when I was in middle school. The chinese grandmother is the narrator, and each chapter is a chinese tale that she is telling to her grandchildren. The tales in this book are stories I had heard growing up, and it was nice to be able to read them. For the most part, the translations are accurate (according to my parents!), but I liked being able to know more of the details in the story that are sometimes left out when ...more
Alison
Nov 16, 2008 Alison rated it it was amazing
Tales of a Chinese Grandmother, by Frances Carpenter is a wonderful novel that is full of folk tales and stories. Set back in old China, this book is about a rich family's wise grandmother who tells her two grandchildren stories when they are having a quarrel, when they are bored or just for fun. This is a great book and the tales that she tells are all vivid and wise, a great read. I give this deserving book a big five stars and I recommend this to folk-tale and historical book lovers!
Zoe
Jan 29, 2012 Zoe rated it liked it
Started reading this aloud to the kids, then realized how tedious it is! I liked it as a child mostly because of the exotic cultural details, but now it seems ethnocentric, even racist, though not on purpose. And boring. How sad! I am now trapped into reading the whole thing aloud, because one of my three listeners loves it. :) The one redeeming quality is an excellent portrayal of the degree to which grandparents and elders are honored and adored in (old?) China.
Johanna H.
Sep 08, 2015 Johanna H. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, favorites, china
Wonderful .. The tales are wise and vivid. The whole Story telling with the Grandmother telling the children the Storys is lovely made.. And it's a great insight to Traditional Chinese Life and Culture! I recommend it to everyone who is interested in Chinese History & Folk Tales.. Everyone who is enchanted with Asian Culture! And for everyone who likes this Book i can recommend the Book Tales of a Korean Grandmother it's just as good and i loved it !
Wendy
Jul 30, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it
What a great peak into the Chinese culture!
Susanna
May 08, 2008 Susanna marked it as to-read
09/05/08, City Shop, 100,00RMB
Pandan
Pandan rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Helena Van
Helena Van marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Dayang Mahani
Dayang Mahani rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2016
Paige [eastIndies.]
Paige [eastIndies.] marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Audra Coleman
Audra Coleman rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Julie Pate
Julie Pate marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Niccarra
Niccarra is currently reading it
Jul 13, 2016
Shiloh Mccollum
Shiloh Mccollum marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
The Lovely Heartkiller
The Lovely Heartkiller marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
M
M marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Han
Han marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Shivendra
Shivendra rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Dylan White
Dylan White is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Marcella Lees
Marcella Lees rated it it was amazing
Leslie Smith
Leslie Smith marked it as to-read
Ria Abigael
Ria Abigael rated it really liked it
Ellina Anastasjia
Ellina Anastasjia marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Frances Aretta Carpenter was born in 1890, in Washington, D.C., the daughter of Frank G. Carpenter, a journalist and travel book author. She was educated at Smith College, receiving her BA in 1912. In 1920, she married W. Chapin Huntington, with whom she had two children. Carpenter was well traveled, accompanying her father on his investigate tours as a girl, and her husband on his stints with the ...more
More about Frances Carpenter...