Start by marking “Ida B.: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Ida B.: A Novel

Karen E. Quinones Miller

Ida B.: A Novel

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  208 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Twenty-five-year-old Brenda Carver is a writer and a welfare mother of four. Rosa Rivera is an aspiring actress who will let nothing get in the way of her career. Sharif Goldsby is a political activist determined to change the world -- starting with Harlem...
Published December 3rd 2010 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Ida B., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ida B.

Nascha
I really enjoyed this book. Set in my hometown, Harlem, Ida B. is about the residents of a fictional apartment building located in East Harlem. The residents, a colorful cast of characters that include: Brenda Carver and her four children, Rosa Rivera, Sharif and so many more. A fast paced novel, Miller's dialogue is wonderful---so real and crisp, she really captures the voice of Harlem in her books. The plot is a little heart wrenching but the outcome is positive for all. When I read urban lite ...more
Andrew
I very much enjoyed this story about the tenants at Ida B, an apartment building in Harlem. With some very well developed characters, the author brings out the best in the community and shows how they come together even when they encounter tragedy and a shocking crime.

I would definitely recommend this book which captures the daily lives of a fictional group of residents.
Natasha
I enjoyed reading about this close knit group who were more than tenants in a building, more like family who looked out for one another. Some parts dragged on for me and I was ready for them to get on with the juicy parts. It was a little too much dialogue I could have done without but it definitely had some hard hitting climatic scenes. The tragedy this small community saw was devastating, so much had occurred in a small amount of time, they didn't even gave time to recover from the previous bl ...more
‎raihanah alfawzan
رواية لكاتبة صغيرة
Kajun Kween
Dec 29, 2014 Kajun Kween rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very moving.
Tara
Jun 04, 2010 Tara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was trying to get Ida B by Hannigan, and didn't double check the author... Oops. This book has a good rating, so I'm sure it teaches something about overcoming life, but I didn't make it past the first few pages - and I wish I didn't read that far. Way too much swearing, graphic vulgarity, and then crude sexual references thrown in - I have no idea what the rest of the book contains, but that was enough for me to close it. Always double check the author!
Racquel
Jan 24, 2009 Racquel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Most of all, it was hilariously funny to me. The lessons and meaningful relationships in this book also added to it being a great read. It's so funny to me though, that while reading this book, someone at the bus stop told me how they had read the book and loved it. Intrestingly enough, one of my really good friends was also reading it the same time I was. Would definately recommend. It was a cute book.
Janaia
Dec 26, 2008 Janaia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While visiting the US, I bought this book for $2. First off, it was good; no it’s not the best writing but the story line was interesting and it’s a quick read (on the plane ride home). Not a book to run out and add to your collection, but if you at the library; check it out. A trip to a different neighborhood than most of us is used to. Interesting.
Emily
Apr 12, 2010 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Emily by: Evan Mencke
This is a powerful story with very real characters. The pacing was a little uneven, and Miller could have used the help of a better proofreader, but those are surface issues that will be improved upon as the author continues her craft. Here's a story that will stick with me for a while.
Ms. Independent
Nov 19, 2008 Ms. Independent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Urban book readers
Recommended to Ms. Independent by: library
I really liked this book. To see a community that come together to love, support, and protect it's own was a very good thing to read about. This book kept me interested with every single word. Has some great and lovable characters as well as those we love to have.
Annette
Sep 26, 2012 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"chukles" at the first comment... you can't rate what you will never understand ...applauds the second reviewer!!! I stumbled upon this book and fell in love PERIOD!
Keyona
Oct 11, 2008 Keyona rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was just...wack lol. I don't know how else to say it.No wonder I can't get rid of it..
Nicole
Aug 23, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book so much that I could not put it down...as sad as it was.
Amine Dendane
Amine Dendane marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Scott Jenkins
Scott Jenkins marked it as to-read
Danielle Raynard
Danielle Raynard marked it as to-read
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Matty
Matty marked it as to-read
Pam Whitman
Pam Whitman rated it did not like it
Megatron
Megatron marked it as to-read
Sarah marked it as to-read
Michelle Yazbeck
Michelle Yazbeck marked it as to-read
Cassie Paper-kitty
Cassie Paper-kitty marked it as to-read
Zoha Khan
Zoha Khan marked it as to-read
Emalise
Emalise marked it as to-read
Midnighter
Midnighter marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Judith Watson
Judith Watson rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2016
  • Acting Out
  • Playing My Mother's Blues
  • Tastes Like Chicken: A Novel
  • The Honeymoon is Over
  • Pipe Dream (Strivers Row)
  • One Day I Saw a Black King
  • The Enchantress
  • Gotham Diaries
  • Passport Diaries
  • Secret Society (Secret Society, #1)
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • Groove
  • Can't Get Enough
  • In the Night of the Heat (Tennyson Hardwick, #2)
  • Married but Still Looking: A Novel
  • My Husband's Girlfriend
  • Shades of Jade (Strivers Row)
  • Better Than I Know Myself
Karen E. Quinones Miller is the author of the Essence best selling novels Satin Doll, I’m Telling, Using What You Got, Ida B., (nominated for an NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Literary Work – Fiction), Satin Nights, and Passin’.

Miller was born and raised in Harlem and dropped out of school in the 8th grade, but later finished her education and became a reporter for The Philadelphia Inquirer.

I
More about Karen E. Quinones Miller...