Start by marking “Shadows of the Canyon” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Shadows of the Canyon

Tracie Peterson

Shadows of the Canyon (Desert Roses #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  880 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Tracie Peterson will captivate her legion of readers with this romantic historical novel of loss and love, longing and fulfillment. Working as a Harvey Girl at the luxury resort El Tovar, located on the south rim of the Grand Canyon, Alexandra Keegan feels she is in a dream come true. But when her father's indiscretions come to light and her mother is suspected of murder, ...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published July 20th 2010 by Brilliance Audio (first published September 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Shadows of the Canyon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadows of the Canyon

Gina Hott
Hott Synopsis:
Alexandria Keegan just can’t get away from philandering, womanizing, selfish men! Her father has shown her from day one how destructive they are and she will not allow herself to be in the same position as her mother is now!
Saving her money so that she can hide her mother from her father’s promiscuous ways, Alexandra can’t help but think that marriage is a trap. But when she’s faced with the unwanted advances of an already engaged political aid and her father advises Alexandra to a
Dianne Sidebottom
trust a politician? Yes I can believe the writer it her story.
Even though women had the vote men did not want to give up control over them. They were useful tools for many husband/father. The damage to the children in watching the men flirt, use women and keep their wives home, belittling them, yet many got their wealth through marriage.
the writer certainly portrayed the fear, suspicion, traitor/disloyalty. Joel in this story had no conscience of life being sacred, no fear of consequences, seen
Kathryn
Barbara
Alexandria Keegan is tired of her father's philandering ways. She is a Harvey Girl at an exclusive hotel in the Grand Canyon, El Tovar, and her father now has political aspirations. Alex wants to leave the area with her mother but that would mean leaving behind lovesick cowboy Luke Toland, who has fallen head over heels in crush with Alexandria.

A political convention of sorts comes to El Tovar and Alexandria is forced to fend off the unwelcome attention of Joel Harper, a slimy political aide, a
Teri
The story of this book was very fun. I learned about an aspect of travel I had never even heard of, they were a chain of restaurants and hotels that catered to the railway travelers at the turn of the century. They were called the Harvey House Restaurants and they were run by the Fred Harvey Company. The specific hotel in this book was called El Tovar and was on the rim of the Grand Canyon and is still there today, although it is run by another company. I generally enjoy religious fiction, becau ...more
Ashlee
I have read a lot of Tracie's books, and I just love them! I was very drawn into this book, especially since I love historical romance! It's not as good as some of her newer books(or even book #1 of her New Mexico Sunrise series, which isn't new at all), but this one was really good, nevertheless. I just fell in love with Luke...and how he had to fight for Alexs' love? Love it! It was a little predictable, but it's still totally worth reading!

I have the 3-in-1 series, and I tried to read the sec
Jessica Peterson
Captivating

I loved the intricate plot, filled with twists and turns. I felt like I truly knew the character's I can't wait to read more about Valerie's story.
Kathy Dixon
This book was dragging. I sped read it. Predictable storyline. I have read other books by this author I thoroughly enjoyed. This one disappointed me. I will not stop reading this author though. She has drawn me in.
Judy Tuck
Fantastic

Kept me intrigued until the end. Also helped me to remember biblical truths that I need in my life. thank you
Deliasue
This book tells of Arizona bad men, who hunt people running for office and what they will do for money.
Stacia
This is a typical Tracie Peterson book. I think I enjoy her newer ones better, but they always are fun. She usually has overly horrid, evil antagonists that always want to harm/hurt/kill our hero and/or heroine. As is with this book. Its a good story and I love the adventure, to see exactly what will happen. There's always a point in her books where you can't put them down. As is with this one.

However, with this particular book, I feel like she might have put some of our modern day lack of mora
Cathy Young
This was a good book. Kind of simplistic but an easy read.
Joleen
Too simply written. Not my favorite Tracie Peterson book.
Mary Bronson
I really liked reading this book. I was hooked from page one. I loved the plot and characters. When I read a book I get drawn by very well written characters and this book had them. I loved Luke and Alex as characters and loved the ending for them. Also I liked now Joel's character was written. I hated him so much. I wanted to slap him no better hurt him. Now that is a good character. he got what he desered in the end and I was like yes! I can not wait to read the next book in the series.
History, action, love, and faith yup this booth has everything I enjoy reading in a novel. Thanks for the free read Amazon.
L
This is the first in Tracie Peterson's Desert Rose series, and was a good beginning to a series that I plan to complete. This title takes place in the early 1920's at a resort on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Loaded with suspense, some really bad "bad guys", and Peterson's usual sweet romance with God at the helm made for an entertaining read. I am ready to find the other two in the series.
Chanel
Sweet and a bit sappy. I used to read these types of romance books when I was teenager. I am old enough to know better now. LOL
Courtney
I found this series at our local library- it was a good clean romance set in the historical period of the early 1900's. Each book features a different girl- but the tying theme is they all work at the Harvey restaurants that are along the railroad in the southwest.
Alissa
Had to read this for my book group. Our topic this month was Inspirational Fiction and we each read one. I actually listened to this on audiobook. It was ok. I thought I'd like this history and the mystery but really it was too contrived for me.
Denise
I liked the first third, maybe half of this book. The end was just a little too predictable, yet utterly ridiculous. Is it too much to ask for an enjoyable, realistic Christian romance to read on a Saturday afternoon?
Sara Diane
I don't normally like romances, but this one had enough mystery and history in it that I didn't mind. Read it in one afternoon, a few hours. Nothing amazing about the writing but it didn't stink, either.
Cheryl Chmielewski
I really enjoyed the story...once I got into it, it was very hard to put down. I kept you wondering who was doing the killing and then she reveals it right towards the end. I love Tracie's style.
Love, love this era. So glad they showed how the Harvey Girls were important to this time in history. Great story with great characters to love. The whole series is good.
Naomi
This was the first book I've ever read by Tracie Peterson. I loved this book and I have loved everything that I've read by her since then. Can't recommend her highly enough!
Angela Sellers
I loved how the you are instantly thrown into the world of the main characters. The only problem was that it was fairly predictable.
Catherine Clem
I love Tracie Peterson. I really enjoy reading historical Christian fiction. If you like that genre, you will love this series.
Carrie
I really enjoyed this book. But I tried to read the second one and couldn't get into it. This one was good though.
Debbie
woman deals with philandering father who's interested in politics
Rebecca
The guy is pukey sweet, and the book was super preachy.
Gloria
Don't bother.
  • Distant Dreams (Ribbons of Steel, #1)
  • Skip Rock Shallows (Copper Brown, #3)
  • In the Company of Secrets (Postcards from Pullman #1)
  • The Heart of Thornton Creek (Queensland Chronicles #1)
  • Jessie (Big Sky Dreams, #3)
  • A River to Cross
  • Lanterns and Lace (Texas Legacy #2)
  • The Bachelor's Bargain (Miss Pickworth Series #2)
  • Beloved Castaway (Fairweather Keys #1)
  • The Meeting Place (Song of Acadia, #1)
  • Love by the Letter (Unexpected Brides, #0.5)
  • Daughter of Twin Oaks (A Secret Refuge, #1)
  • Rosa's Land (Western Justice, #1)
Tracie Peterson is a bestselling author who writes in both historical and contemporary genres. Her novels reveal her love for research as well as her strong desire to develop emotionally meaningful characters and stories for her readers. Tracie and her family live in Montana.

pen name: Janelle Jamison
More about Tracie Peterson...

Desert Roses (3 books)
  • Across the Years (Desert Roses, #2)
  • Beneath a Harvest Sky (Desert Roses, #3)
A Lady of High Regard (Ladies of Liberty, #1) A Daughter's Inheritance (The Broadmoor Legacy, #1) Land of My Heart (Heirs of Montana, #1) Dawn's Prelude (Song of Alaska, #1) Embers of Love (Striking a Match, #1)

“Self-control is an important part of living a Christian life. But you don’t have to do it on your own. God gives you a lot of help along the way. When you’re tempted to do the wrong thing, go the wrong direction, He’s there for you.” 1 likes