Start by marking “Every Move You Make” as Want to Read:

M. William Phelps

Every Move You Make

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Con Man
In December 1989, in upstate New York, Gary C. Evans, 35, a master of disguise and career criminal who had befriended David “Son of Sam” Berkowitz, began weaving a web of deadly lies. Evans told a female friend that Damien Cuomo, the father of her child, had deserted her. Of that he could be certain, since he’d killed Cuomo, and subsequently struck up a ten-year rom
Audio CD, Abridged
Published August 29th 2008 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Every Move You Make, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Move You Make

Erin B
Aug 25, 2014 Erin B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book and story has always fascinated me. Not because I like to read about serial killers, although interesting, not my first pick. Most of the events occurred in my hometown region....including the shallow grave one of Gary's victims was in which was right outside my first apartment's windows. I lived minutes from the bridge Gary jumped from.
This story was written well and gave real insight into his crazy logic and incredible journey.
Highly recommend, especially if you are from around Upst
Jlsimon
Apr 17, 2016 Jlsimon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, true-crime
This was a new experience for me. I've read a lot of Phelps's work and I usually like it, but for some reason this one just seemed fragmented for me. I couldn't keep track of what was going on and the shifts around in the story. This book was very well researched, but the writing was not up to the standards that I have grown used to with Mr. Phelps's work.

Gary Evans is not a serial I was really familiar with. I had heard the name in my previous research, but the name did not have a story to go
Marty Lenocker
Couldn't say I really liked the book until the last few chapters. It was interesting but not as bizarre as other true crime books I've read. I think I can probably go back and pick up where I left off on the Night Stalker now... much more bizarre.
♥ Marlene♥
Normally a fan of this authors books this one could not really move me. I was glad when I finally finished reading and was able to read a true crime book that wasn't a struggle to read. 2.5 stars
Jeanne
Jun 17, 2012 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will truly make the hair on the back of your neck stand up! Only because the person was running around the area in which i live years ago in the 80's. He was a habitual burglar who involved his friends in his crimes. After involving them, he realized that his friends were the very people who could put him in jail. So he decided to get rid of them. He was eventually captured and put in jail and I very vividly remember hearing of his demise when i was sitting home one day watching tv. He ...more
Rita
This book I will never forget. The author was SO amazing in the writing of this
True Crime and he pulled me in and I could not put this book down because
it was such a riveting, detailed and intriquing story. I was crushed when I came
to the end. A MUST READ for all true crime fans.
Jeanine
Sep 28, 2014 Jeanine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, you just couldn't make this stuff up. One of the reasons I'm such a fan of this author is his level of research. This book is a shining example.
Kathy
Feb 07, 2016 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well written, no time to get lost in confusing facts. Phelps lines it out well and occasionally reminds you of who's who.
brenda  belg parlaman
This was a great read!! Didn't want to put it down! I love the way M. William Phelps writes he grabs you into what is happening!!
Carolyn B
Apr 03, 2016 Carolyn B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set locally & mentions local people I know. Chilling.
Marca
Jun 29, 2012 Marca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The true story of serial killer Gary Evans who forged an odd friendship New York State Police Investigator James Horton. Gary was a career criminal, mostly thefts, that would get him a year or two in jail. Horton was pretty sure that Evans was also a serial killer who had killed some co-thieves and a few store owners. With no physical proof of the murders (and for some - bodies), Horton worked over the years to get Evans to confess. Gary was a charismatic sociopath who I am glad never to have me ...more
Donald
Aug 03, 2010 Donald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true-crime book that reads like a thriller. It's amazing what this guy got away with for so long, giving credence to the title "criminal mastermind," but not the kind of person you would expect as such. Good true-crime books give a lot of back detail on the participants; this one is full of them. The author also does a good job of starting with one crime and its aftermath and working backwards, forwards, and in-between to give us a complete picture of the criminal in bits and pieces.
Lynn
Aug 02, 2013 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I normally love books by this author but this book wasn't really for me. I found it very hard to follow and it didn't leave me feeling anything really at the end of it. Usually I feel sad for a person or happy but this didn't evoke any emotions in me. I found it quite confusing and I got people muddled up with each other. it is a well written book.. just not my usual kind of crime I would read about.
Richard
Feb 18, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book that I'd be surprised if it wasn't made into a film. The 2 principals being the cop and the criminal...I'd cast Tom Hanks as the lawman and Leonardo Dicaprio as the thief/killer...This non-fiction story reads just like a crime story. It's got it all murder, mayhem, mystery, sex, and escapes and more.
Sharon
Jan 23, 2016 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, Phelps delivers a thoroughly informed work of non-fiction that reads like a novel. I had never heard of Gary Evans, but after reading this book, I had to look him up on the Internet. I don't know what the fascination is with serial killers, but this guy was a real charmer.
Gina Delhommer
Interesting but not the chilling, hair raising read I expected. I don't see the fascination or admiration the author has for the killer. He is not the most interesting, smart or horrific killer in my book.I was more interested in the detective. But still an enjoyable read.
Elyssa
Nov 15, 2008 Elyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: truecrime
I typically read true crime books when I am on vacation. I was just on vacation in PR and read this one and found it engrossing from page one. The story of a cop and master thief/serial killer who play a game of cat and mouse is well-written.
Erin Purcell Vaughn
Apr 27, 2008 Erin Purcell Vaughn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Erin by: Charla Burnell
Being from the area that this occurred made this book an interesting read for me. It was a great book and told the details about Gary Evans that I didn't know. I would recommend this book to anyone from the Capital Region of NY.
Sandy
Oct 17, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book interested me because it was about an area I live in. It jumped around somewhat which I found confusing at times but having lived through the era, I managed to keep it straight.
Marybeth Kobland
The book jumps all over the place. I started it wasn't sure if I wanted to continue.. but I am plugging along. I have to admit I prefer a story much more that true crime.
Diana DeLaFuente
So far it's a great read.I've neglected this site for a while. Finished this book a long time ago... good read.
Michelle
Apr 25, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, non-fiction
I had hoped this would be better than it was. I think the facts have the potential to be better presented.
Shelli
May 26, 2009 Shelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like true crime stories
This is another true story so it has some really scary/freaky parts...
SueAnn
A little to repetitive and long but a great story.
Neil
Jun 17, 2009 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, had its ups and downs.
Eva Leger
Nov 07, 2008 Eva Leger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: true crime readers
Recommended to Eva by: myself
Shelves: b-true-crime
Another decent true crime read.
Amy
Very creepy book...
Colby Johnston
Colby Johnston marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Elaine
Elaine rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Francine Torrisi
Francine Torrisi rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
  • Shattered
  • Lie After Lie: The True Story of a Master of Deception, Betrayal, and Murder
  • Blood in the Snow: The True Story of a Stay-at-Home Dad, his High-Powered Wife, and the Jealousy that Drove him to Murder
  • PREDATOR
  • No Mercy: The Host of America's Most Wanted Hunts the Worst Criminals of Our Time--In Shattering True Crime Cases
  • Careless Whispers
  • Seduced by Madness: The True Story of the Susan Polk Murder Case
  • Entering Hades: The Double Life of a Serial Killer
  • Blood Bath
  • The Black Dahlia Files: The Mob, the Mogul, and the Murder That Transfixed Los Angeles
  • The Last Testament of Lucky Luciano
  • Blood Lust: Portrait of a Serial Sex Killer
  • Murder In Brentwood
  • Such Good Boys: The True Story of a Mother, Two Sons and a Horrifying Murder
  • The BTK Murders: Inside the "Bind Torture Kill" Case that Terrified America's Heartland
  • Mortal Danger and Other True Cases (Crime Files, #13)
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church
  • Camouflaged Killer: The Shocking Double Life of Canadian Air Force Colonel Russell Williams
Crime, murder and serial killer expert, creator/producer/writer and former host of the Investigation Discovery series DARK MINDS, acclaimed, award-winning investigative journalist M. William Phelps is the New York Times best-selling author of 30 books and winner of the 2013 Excellence in (Investigative) Journalism Award and the 2008 New England Book Festival Award. A highly sought-after pundit, Ph ...more
More about M. William Phelps...

“What I must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think…. You will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know it. It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude. —Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance (1841)” 0 likes