Start by marking “Lucky” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rachel Vail

Lucky (Avery Sisters Trilogy #1)

3.41  ·  Rating Details ·  1,759 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
In her sparkling style, the acclaimed author of Do-Over explores the lives of three sisters whose privileged world is shaken by a family scandal.
Published May 1st 2009 by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 2008)

Jan 22, 2012 Alicia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book with absolutely no climax and she just complains the whole book about how she is not going to get her dress and how her graduation is "ruined"
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by The Compulsive Reader for

Phoebe, the youngest of the Avery sisters, is graduating from middle school. Her life seems perfect. She and her four best friends will be having the party of the year, she has an eye on the perfect dress, and the promise of high school's new beginnings. But when Phoebe's mom starts acting weird, and her friends start alienating her, the perfect conclusion to her eighth-grade year is at stake.

Can Phoebe pull it together and do what's right,
There are three kinds of people who read reviews: those who want to know whether it's good, those who want to know what it's about, and the parents/readers who want to double check the profanity and sexual contact and morales of the book. I will address each.

Those who want to know what it's about:
For this, I'll put the protagonist, Phoebe Avery, into a meeting of AA (Avery's Anonymous).
*Enters Phoebe*
"Hi. My name is Phoebe and I'm an Avery."
Rest of the Avery's: "Hiii Phoebe."
"Um, hi. So, like, I
Dec 19, 2014 Johanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Here it is.

The worst book I ever read.

Everything happened at once, and nothing happened at all.

I will say this. This book is perfect for you if you like reading about shallow, spoiled, bratty, selfish fourteen-year-olds who don't know a thing about life and think they do, kissing their boyfriends from sixth grade (you read that right) and then leaving the boys hanging while they sneak around their parents' mansions and their friends party in the Hamptons with high school boys. Complaining. The.
Tatum C. Rose
May 17, 2012 Tatum C. Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I convinced myself I wouldn't like this book, I kept telling myself I was only reading it as a light fluff-read since I couldn't concentrate with this headache I've had all day. Oh Dread I've been awful grumpy, but about halfway into this book I started to get more and more into it (not saying its slow at the beginning, I was just brat-tastic and stubborn when I started reading it). The book is part one of a trilogy, each novel is in the eyes of one of three sisters during a major turning point
Lucky is the first book in a trilogy about the Avery sisters. Phoebe Avery is the youngest one of the sisters and all her life, she has been considered “lucky”. Pretty, popular, and rich, Phoebe and her best friend Kirstyn and her three other close friends are the social center of their grade. Then, Phoebe`s family has a financial catastrophe and Phoebe realizes she needs to figure out who she is.
One thing I have to commend Rachel Vail on is that she knows how to write teenage characters. All of
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Lucky has been on my wish list for a while now and when I saw it in the library the other day I almost fainted with joy. I started reading it as soon as I could and finished it in about 3 or 4 hours. This was a weird book to read, I really enjoyed it but at the same time I didn't, if that makes sense. :p The ending really tied up my feelings though which I'm happy and relieved about!

When I started Lucky, I was extremely excited, yet I'm sad to say it disappointed me a the beginning. Th
J Hildred
Initially, I was turned off by the book's characters. Phoebe seemed to be very shallow, I didn't empathize with her situation. Then toward the middle of the book I began to like her and root for her. In the end, Vail succeeded in drawing her reader into the main character. Phoebe became likable and thought provoking as she grew in understanding of her own situation.
Phoebe's best friend, Kaitlyn, on the other had wasn't a character I thought fit with the story. Her character's descr
Apr 29, 2008 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Phoebe Avery is about to graduate from middle school, and she couldn’t be more thrilled. But it’s mostly the graduation party that she’s excited about, because it’s a chance to be with her best friends having fun in a fabulous dress. But something goes wrong. It turns out that Phoebe’s mother has lost her job. Now the family is in a financial crisis. Phoebe can no longer afford to pay her share for the party.

She’s too embarrassed to tell her friends her economic situation. Even though she’s been
Sep 09, 2016 Isabella5162 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is all about a young girl named Phoebe who is struggling with realistic life problems. Phoebe was a girl who thought that she had it all until her mother lost her job and there money situation was very risky, which means that she could not have her 8th grade graduation party. With her wealthy intimidating friends, Phoebe feels that she has to keep to herself. Overall, Phoebe finds a way to make both her friendship and family situation work for both her and her party.

Many people can
Feb 05, 2015 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay. . . so. . . I read this when I was, myself, in 8th grade and had a sort of skinny love relationship (which is thankfully over). This is a pretty low quality book about spoiled brats thinking that they're adults.

The main plot point was a dress. A dress for a middle school graduation club party. I think it would have been better to have the main point being that their mom lost her job and that they might have to give up some luxury.

The romance was only interesting in that I was feeling some
Mimi Lala
Feb 15, 2014 Mimi Lala rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1/5 stars

This book was really difficult to get into. I mean the introduction of the characters the plot of the story, I just couldn't figure it out. I continued to read it to see if I could actually get into it, but I just became more and more frustrated and confused. The main character, Phoebe, is a total brat!

Her parents are well off and that's ok. Things happen and the mom no longer has a job. Phoebe has been planning and 8th grade graduation party with her bet friend, Kirstyn. And obviously
Sarah Vohringer
The title of the book is called Lucky by Rachel Vail. And it came out in 2008 and the book is a fiction. This book can surprise you in many ways along with how many pages there is 233 pages in this book. By the fact how long it took me 6 months it was a good book to say myself but i take my time reading and try to connect with the people in the story of the book.The characters in the book are trying to support the main person. The setting on this story is unreal in the school of 8th grade with m ...more
Jun 15, 2008 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle school girls
I have always found Rachel Vail's books to be better than the average chick lit.This book, about a mother who loses her job and causes the immature Phoebe to resist her new "poor" status (she can't afford a Neiman Marcus dress or an elaborate graduation party.) Also, as is common in 8th grade, friends are growing apart.

I didn't like this as much as other Rachel Vail books, but its still a strong middle school read, especially in this tough economy.
Mar 08, 2009 Jiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning was good. Everything else was FabOuLoUs! But the ending was TOTALLY sappy. The author could have not rushed it, or at least could have done a much better ending. It was too happy and too sappy and a little bit too rushed. Other than the ending of the book, it was worth reading.
Jul 14, 2009 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sep 14, 2008 Karlan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Girls will appreciate this story of a youngest sister whose 8th grade graduation plans are interrupted when her mother loses her Wall St. job. Humorous dialog and young romance make this very entertaining.
Miko O.
Jul 01, 2011 Miko O. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Phoebe's an unbearable, spoiled brat from page one, but I was hoping that she would learn her lesson and have a fun personality makeover, à la Cher from "Clueless." No such luck.
Lieslclaire James
Sep 16, 2008 Lieslclaire James rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i just didn't (couldn't) buy the ending, just too far from reality; or does real life not count because this is part of the "rich teen girls" genre that's in now (in books and tv)
Neila Fitz
Apr 06, 2016 Neila Fitz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read a juvenile fiction book? If not than this book is for you juvenile fiction is a young adult literature which defines a young adult as someone between the ages of twelve and eighteen. The genre of the book could also be realistic fiction but since all the other books that I read are always realistic fiction I'm going to stay with juvenile fiction. The book was overall good because it talked about the good and bad times in life.
The setting of the book takes place at Phoebe Ave
Bella Bronner
Sep 20, 2016 Bella Bronner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pheobe Avery was always rich, pretty, and most importantly, lucky. When her mom loses her job because of the Stock Market, Pheobe's life turns upside- down. Pheobe's sisters tell Pheobe to not tell anybody about their family problems, but Pheobe can't keep secrets from her best friends!

The Avery family becomes poor, and the graduation party that Pheobe and her five other friends (Kirstyn, Gabrielle, Zhara, and Ann) have been planning backfires. Pheobe can't even get the dress that makes her lo
Nov 03, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Oh my goodness! I loved this book! I would reccomend this book to anyone tht has ever gone through a hard time in there life.
Jennifer Lynn
Apr 04, 2015 Jennifer Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
When I read a book like this, I realize how old I am, or is it feel? Do not get me wrong, the book is exactly what it advertises itself to be. "Lucky" is a perfect example of what you see is what you get. That is where my age factors in. If I had read this as a teenager, I probably would have thought it was a great, fun book- which it is a fun book. Cute would describe it perfectly. The story of a rich eighth grader whose family gets into money problems has family, friendship, and adjusting to c ...more
I can see how this book will appeal to the average teenage girl but I regarded this book skeptically. It's not easy sympathizing with the troubles of a girl from an upper-class family (although some of her troubles are universal, such as boys, misunderstandings with her girlfriends, etc.). Kirstyn also came off throughout the book as something of a "mean girl" so I didn't buy Phoebe's realization of what a supportive friend Kirstyn had been. Pushing my skepticism over the top was the Disney-styl ...more
Sep 15, 2015 Valerie.P6.16 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucky by Rachel Vail is about a middle school graduate girl in a fancy house and a amazing lucky life. She gets home one day and everyone is acting abnormally. Her mom announces that she got laid off later that week at dinner. Her life turns from rich and popular to not so great. Her mom can't afford a dress for her graduation and she can't afford to go to a party. She is frustrated and mad, but learns to adjust to get new life. In the end, her friend buys the dress for her and she gets to go to ...more
Blythe Penland
Jan 13, 2015 Blythe Penland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was 'all good', as Phoebe would say. I really liked it. My favorite part was when Phoebe went to the party. I know it was at the end, but Kirstyn sent her the perfect dress, her mother gave her the sapphire necklace, Luke and Phoebe kissed, and her friends forgave her. And that's why I LOVED the ending. My least favorite part was when Kirstyn and Phoebe had that fight right outside the school. (I mean, it's really sad to see best friends fight.) There was also a lot of awkwar ...more
Apr 15, 2014 XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of friendship books.
Recommended to XxForeverXx_XxVampire_DiariezxxLuvsSHERLOCKandSUPERNATURAL by:, public library.
This is the second book that I read by this author. I loved the first one I read was really good and I saw this at the library and thought it would be a cute read. I was right. It was sweet and cute. I liked it. It wasn't perfect, but it was good enough. It was short and an easy read, so I was able to get through it in a day. The plot was good and taught a good lesson about how you should trust your friends with anything. If they are your real friends, then they would understand and help you alo ...more
Ella Perkins
This book is about when this girl, Phoebe has a family meltdown. Her mom just got let go and is out of work. Phoebe is just graduating from middle school and her friends and her decide to throw a big graduating party. It has to be the best to keep up with the girl’s reputation. It is really hard for Phoebe to put in her money deposit, but when she lies and denies many truths to her friends, she makes it all worse.

I can make a text to world connection. The connection is that right now is a littl
Madigan McGillicuddy
Although marketed as YA, this book has the tone and cadence of a middle-grade novel. The main character is in eighth-grade. Phoebe Avery has led a charmed life: good looks, good grades, she's friends with the popular set, and her parents make a "comfortable" living that includes designer clothes, their own maid and trips to Europe. She's in the midst of planning a major bash to celebrate her eighth-grade graduation when everything starts crashing down around her ears. Her mother loses her high-p ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 22, 2015 11:06AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #30 Lucky by Rachel Vail 1 2 Jan 29, 2015 03:34PM
  • Sloane Sisters (Sloane Sisters, #1)
  • Talent (Talent, #1)
  • The Elite (The Elite, #1)
  • The Opposite of Invisible
  • Poseur (Poseur, #1)
  • Confessions of a Serial Kisser
  • Premiere (On the Runway, #1)
  • Reality Check
  • Wish You Were Here
  • Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls
  • Cross Your Heart, Connie Pickles
  • Local Girls (Island Summer, #1)
  • Freak
  • The Year My Sister Got Lucky
  • Bittersweet Sixteen
  • The Sweet Life of Stella Madison
  • Kissing the Bee
  • The Daughters (The Daughters, #1)
I was born on July 25, 1966, in NEW YORK CITY, and grew up in New Rochelle, NY, with my mother, my father, and my younger brother Jon. (And down the street from my future husband, though of course I didn't know that until much later.)

Some details, I do know-I was very into reading and theater, so I read every book I could get my hands on (especially realistic fiction, either contempo
More about Rachel Vail...

Avery Sisters Trilogy (3 books)
  • Gorgeous (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Brilliant (Avery Sisters Trilogy, #3)

“Oh it just gives me the heebie-jeebies” 1 likes