Antigone / Oedipus the King / Electra

Antigone / Oedipus the King / Electra

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  6,158 ratings  ·  99 reviews
This volume contains three masterpieces by the Greek playwright Sophocles, widely regarded since antiquity as the greatest of all the tragic poets. The vivid translations, which combine elegance and modernity, are remarkable for their lucidity and accuracy, and are equally suitable for reading for pleasure, study, or theatrical performance. The selection of Antigone, Oedip...more
Published September 17th 1998 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published -429)

Cody Joe Bärfuß
Don't get me wrong, Sophocles is a great playwright. But could Oedipus have really been that stupid. If someone made the prophesy that you would kill your father and make your mother your wife, don’t you think you would have been a little more cautious. Don't you think at any point he would have said "Hey, that guy is old enough to be my father an he looks a little like me. I probably shouldn’t kill him." Or perhaps he would have said "This lady is hot!...too bad she is old enough to be my mothe...more
Amir Atef
رواية أوديب ملكاً هي أعظم مأساه كتبت وتم تأديتها على المسرح في التاريخ ، كتبت عام 474 قبل الميلاد، حبكة متقنة وحوار أكثر من رائع، كانت وستظل نموذجا هاما في فن المأساه، حوار يفوق الوصف، شخصية أوديب لسوفوكليس ليست مجرد عمل فني كبير لشاعر عظيم ، وليست كذلك شخصية كلاسيكية تمثل العصر الذي نشأت فيه فقط، إنما هي تعبر عن طموح الإنسان وتحديه للآلهة واختراقه المناطق المحظورة.
أحداثها حيكت بريشة كاتب متميز لا يضاهيه أحد ـ وإن كنت أحب يوربيديس ـ لكن كلامي هذا للإنصاف، أحداث مشوقة بدءا بالنبوءة ثم الالقاء في...more
Josh Kells
Before I begin my review I should say I only read Oedipus the King ark for my AP literature class. For the book being translated, it was a lot easier to read than most other "translated books" because with how they interperated most of Sophocles language it is very readable. When I first began the book, I honestly thought it threw us straight in the middle of the main issue/problem, which was not my favorite thing about the book at all, got a little confusing. On top of being thrown in the middl...more
Carmen
It’s no disgrace for a man, even a wise man, to learn many things and not be too rigid. You’ve seen many trees by a raging winter torrent, how many sway with the flood and salvage every twig, but not the stubborn—they’re ripped out, roots and all. Bend or break.

This incredibly powerful and moving play was written well over two thousand years ago, yet it is as relevant and relatable as ever. Antigone's immovable conviction is tragically squared against Creon's regal pride, both as stubborn as oxe...more
Serena Garcia
The story of Oedipus the King is about a King named Oedipus who is the ruler of a city called Thebes. A curse has befallen on this city and Oedipus sends someone for Apollo to find out why it's happening. He learns that the curse is due to the fact that their last king, Laius, was murdered and if they find out who the killer is, the curse in Thebes would be lifted. With that, a series of events ends up happening to Oedipus from being accused to being the murderer of Laius to just a whole bunch o...more
Paul
The play is great of course, and very fun to teach. Creon is such a bastard and the teenagers love that his teenage son is the only sane character. What I really want to recommend is this version, put out by Cambridge. The translation is excellent and uses modern language well, and the notes on the side do an excellent job of putting all the references the Greeks would have taken for granted in cultural context. Totally changes the way you understand the play.
Hazel
Out of the three tragedies Antigone was my definitely my favorite. The story goes that the dead are the dead and should be regarded as such. By this I mean that you can punish someone who is alive, but you should respect them in death for they cannot defend themselves. Antigone goes to great lengths just to make a point about this. The other two plays are also thought-provoking and just as magnificent to read.
Claire Sinden
As massive classical nut, I had to get my hands on Sophocles' Electra after being force fed the dribble that is Euripedes' version. For all Electra enthusiasts, I recommend reading other translations - a favourite being Anne Carsons. And then get yourself onto youtube to watch Strauss' operatic version of Hofmannsthal's. Electra geek FTW!
Jaznee
Well I guess this is why my English teacher loves me because I love reading books beyond my jurisdiction...I really like this story I haven't yet read all three but I've read the last one because for some reason that's the order we have to read them in AP English but I'm really looking forward to reading them all
دينا سليمان
رائعة من روائع المسرح التراجيدى اليونانى....توقفت كثيرا اثناء القراءة لأسأل نفس السؤل.. كم قرن مضت على كتابة هذه الروائع.. وأين نحن الان منها؟؟
Andrada
Sophocles' plays were an unexpectedly exciting read(I didn't expect much after Euripides' plays, that I very much loved when performed, fell pretty flat as texts). I've seen Oedipus Rex on stage, but it did not leave much of an impression at the time. Now that I've read the play I wonder why that was. It has a lot of powerful scenes and a pervading sense of self-damnation. Oedipus believed himself a clever man, but I think the saying goes that the men that the gods wanted to punish were 'blinded...more
pearl
From my notebook.

On Antigone:

"Antigone is so intransigent, goddamn."

"But I like Ismene... I like her pragmatism, which is not without humanism, which openly confesses her own weakness, her desire to live, and her love for her sister, whom she also fears."

"Noooo please be rational, Antigone."

"
Ismene: "What life is left to me if I lose you?"

*sob*"

"I don't give a shit about Haemon. Why does Antigone even like him?"

"Creon. You bastard. Welp, at least I know you die in Medea!"

On Oedipus:

"Oh lord. Io...more
Sera
Kaitlyn H
Oedipus the King was one awesome book. It was a totally different read then I was used too, but in the end it turned out very good. I found that it wasn’t a typical read you would find in highschool, it had a lot of unexpected parts and scandalous sections that were very different from the typical books we used to read.It’s a good fit for almost everyone. There is even a gorey part in there for the typical action packed boy.
Oedipus was written by Sophocles in Athens, Greece around about 441 BCE...more
Alexis
This is about the ill-fated king who murdered his father and married his mother. Nasty, right? Well, it turns out he didn't plan to do so. It was just another one of those Greek tragedies that end up... like all Greek tragedies. Antigone is about Oedipus' daughter and Oedipus' successor Creon.

Notes: Had to read this for school, and I enjoyed it a bit. Fast read (it's in Play form). Althought it got a bit repetitive, I found it interesting because I had always thought that Oedipus was derranged f...more
Patrick
It feels strange to review the Classics, so I won't. I'll just say that reading THE SECRET HISTORY highlighted how loose my grasp on the Classics have become, so I'm going to try to make a refresher push.
Caleb Hodges
Becky R.
There's little that I can say that has not been already. Sophocles uses amazing themes of honor, loyalty, and of course the tragedies of life. Oedipus and Antigone work hand in hand, as Antigone is the daughter or Oedipus. These two plays really show the ramifications of one's life choices and is frightening in some ways. Electra is really great as well, and felt like a version of Shakespeare's play Hamlet. The themes are very, very similar. Overall, I can't recommend Sophocles enough. These pla...more
Christina
Zach Vowles
It's a good tragedy, but some of the character just seem to be a little bit stupid. Would reccommend to fans of classical literature though.
Alex Kartelias
My main intention was to gain insight into Freud's theory. But quite unexpectedly, I became enthralled in these plays. It makes me laugh that this is so reminiscent of Sakespeare's plays. Even the great Aristotle himself thought in his Poetics that Oedipus Rex was an amazing play- and I quite agree.
Rena
Jul 30, 2014 Rena rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Everything is so dramatic. I have read pieces of these plays before, and I do enjoy them. They are just so overly dramatic.
Rachael
Was surprised that I found this fairly easy to understand. It was of course a translation, but for some reason thought I'd find it more difficult. They are simple plays, but a lot happens and they are interesting with regards to being referenced so often. I of course knew the stories pretty well, especially Oedipus, but it was still an interesting read - would be even better to see a good production though.
ash
little disturbing story, but interesting overall.
David Blanar
A surprisingly easy read, I found most of the play already known to me, even though I had not picked up the manuscript before this selection. That’s the challenge with a piece such as this: the story is so well-known it is almost a cliche of itself. But there’s a reason it’s a classic and Sophocles doesn’t disappoint: any play to feature both regicidal incest and the gouging out of the protagonist’s eyes must command attention. Long on drama but short on high-quality discussion with the book gro...more
Mitra
A well established theme in Antigone is the right of the individual to reject society's infringement on her freedom to perform a personal obligation. This is seen through Antigone's refusal to let Creon dictate what she is allowed to do with her family members. She says to Ismene about Creon's edict, "It is not for him to keep me from my own.”This theme brings up the issue of whether Antigone's will to bury her brother is based on rational thought or instinct, a debate whose contributors include...more
Betsy
Interesting concept but not overly compelling to read.
Harley
OK so I know the book title says that this is 3 books, but really we only read Oedipus the king
(found Antigone alone, but we haven't made it to that book yet) , I just couldn't find Oedipus the King all by itself.
So this book wasn't bad, wasn't my favorite, i mean come on how can you not know that it was the king who you murdered. And after awhile don't you think you might have put all the pieces together, but i guess that's just me.
Truth be told it wasn't bad, but it wasn't my favorite.
Jan-Willem
Read Oedipus the King

Goed uitgewerkt psychologisch portret van Oedipus. Uitgebreide en goed gestructureerde aanloop tot de anagnorisis en peripeteia, en stapsgewijze constructie van een sterke spanningsboog.

Wat ik mis is creatief taalspel (ook al lees ik deze in vertaling) en diepere uitwerking van andere personages. Het stuk is ook uiterst teleologisch opgebouwd. Alle actie staat direct in functie van de peripeteia van Oedipus. Geen subplots.

Read Electra
Eric Riley
As a whole - I liked all three plays. I would be happy to see any of them performed (as the notes indicate, this translation was specifically for production of the pieces, not as simply an academic translation only) and enjoyed reading them - in large part because of a very good introduction.

Hopefully I can edit this later - between jet lag from returning from Europe and the incessant fireworks outside my window, I find it difficult to concentrate just at this moment...
  • Lysistrata and Other Plays
  • Four Great Tragedies: Hamlet / Othello / King Lear / Macbeth
  • Hippolytus
  • The Oresteia
  • Four Major Plays: A Doll's House / Ghosts / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • William Shakespeare's: A Midsummer Night's Dream (Shakespeare Retellings, #2)
  • Greek Tragedies Vol. 3: Aeschylus: The Eumenides; Sophocles: Philoctetes, Oedipus at Colonus; Euripides: The Bacchae, Alcestis
Sophocles (Greek: Σοφοκλής; German editions: Sophokles, Russian: Софокл) was an ancient Greek tragedy playwright. Not many things are known about his life other than that he was wealthy, well educated and wrote about one hundred and twenty three plays (of which few are extant). One of his best known plays is 'Oedipus the King' (Oedipus Rex).
More about Sophocles...
Oedipus Rex Antigone The Oedipus Cycle: Oedipus Rex / Oedipus at Colonus / Antigone Oedipus at Colonus Electra