Start by marking “The History of Christianity (A Lion handbook)” as Want to Read:
The History of Christianity (A Lion handbook)

The History of Christianity (A Lion handbook)

Book by
Published September 1st 1977 by Lion Publishing plc

To ask other readers questions about The History of Christianity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The History of Christianity

Rui Coelho
Jan 30, 2016 Rui Coelho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great resource on the history of Christianism. It tells the reader about the main denominations (Catholicism, Lutheranism...) and smaller groups like Lolards and Hussites without overlooking the relevant theologians and books.
Nicholas Whyte
Oct 21, 2007 Nicholas Whyte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

It's an assembly of short and very short essays, aimed at evangelical Anglicans in the UK, originally published in 1977 and revised in 1990. The one thing I really did learn from it was the Great Awakening of the eighteenth century, which I now realise was a hugely important step towards American independence in religious culture, leading to the political reality. But there was a lot that set my teeth on edge: the irritating point-scoring about which denom
Nicholas Whyte
Jan 17, 2012 Nicholas Whyte rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Adam T Calvert
Jun 15, 2011 Adam T Calvert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A true reference for those interested in Church History. This book is divided into eight manageable sections and packed with solid information. With over 60 contributors, this book is amazingly easy to follow from chapter to chapter.

The book contains plenty of maps and charts for useful reference as well as displays of art and culture along the way. The little box cut-outs focusing on significant people, events, or movements are also very helpful.

While it's no novel (I mean, come on, it's a book
James
Mar 12, 2009 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good text on Christian History which includes a CD with the book's contents for the ultimate in portability.

I honestly prefer the writing and layout style of Justo Gonzalez's two volume The Story of Christianity but this will be the text I take along (on CD) when I move and have to leave much of my library behind. It is a very good work that is aethetically pleasing to read and provides the book on CD as a bonus. The only criticism I have of it is that it is simply not as well written
Eddie
Mar 11, 2016 Eddie rated it really liked it
A helpful addition to your 'Church History' shelf, this book traces the last 2000 years of Christianity. Articles, pictures, maps, and page layouts (including the multiple indexes) make it easy to find topics whilst sections are informative and to the point. As a cover-to-cover read, probably a little daunting (although the writing style is very accessible) but as a one-stop reference, up there with the best.

(Note: Though academically solid and fair, this is written from an Protestant [dare I sa
Andy Hickman
Jan 14, 2015 Andy Hickman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful resource for beginners and experts, giving a clear overview whilst thorough in it's scope.
Easily understood terminology and fully illustrated.

Dowley, Tim, ed. The History of Christianity. Oxford, England: Lion, 1990

Vaughn
May 07, 2012 Vaughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This text gives an easy to read, well organized account of key events spanning the early church through the reformation. As an introduction, it is better than average, but it won't be the only book in your church history library.
Jenni Lathrop
Didn't read this cover to cover, but read this for a class on Christian history. The book is good. Easy to read. Sometimes the writing wasn't great and sentences were structured weird. As someone who doesn't like reading history books, though, this was a great book.
Joshua Duffy
I liked this book, but didn't love it. I thought it was a little too dry, although I loved the biographical sections a lot.
I definitely prefer Bruce Shelley's 'Church History in Plain Language'.
Justin
Nov 02, 2015 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outdated and dry. As a general rule more helpful the more distant the time period being covered.
Brandon
All in all, it is a great introduction for beginners, but it is very, VERY Pro-Western. lol. It does not give a very good perspective at times on Roman Catholicism, especially Eastern Orthordoxy.
Keith Brooks
Sep 18, 2011 Keith Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read selections for a course on Global Christianity. Also read it for a church history course back in 2001. Good evangelical stuff.
James Seawel
Probably deserves more stars, but I just got tired of it. Couldn't keep up with all those old dead white men... Read (much of) it for Survey of Church History.
David Varney
May 20, 2013 David Varney rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive yet accessible group of essays and articles. Great for a novice like me.
Sylvia
Feb 22, 2011 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of my Catholic school days.=)
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2015
Chris Moreby
Chris Moreby rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2013
Zak Scholtz
Zak Scholtz rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Veronica
Veronica rated it it was ok
Mar 29, 2012
John Edwards
John Edwards rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2014
Jacob
Jacob rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Sunnyside1204
Sunnyside1204 rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2011
Mrs. C.
Mrs. C. rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2011
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Ken Livingstone
Ken Livingstone rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Darek Wit
Darek Wit rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2014
Dark Soul
Dark Soul rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
John Maxham
John Maxham rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Matt
Matt rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A History of Christian Thought Volume II: From Augustine to the Eve of the Reformation
  • The Christian Tradition 4: Reformation of Church & Dogma 1300-1700
  • Calvin
  • Turning Points: Decisive Moments in the History of Christianity
  • Apostolic Preaching of the Cross. Revised. (ISBN: 080281512X / 0-8028-1512-X)
  • Documents of the Christian Church
  • Reading the Gospels Wisely: A Narrative and Theological Introduction
  • New Bible Commentary
  • Carry a Big Stick: The Uncommon Heroism of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Three Views on the Millennium and Beyond
  • A History of Christian Missions (The Penguin History of the Church, #6)
  • Christianity Through the Centuries: A History of the Christian Church
  • God Has Spoken: Revelation and the Bible
  • Creeds of the Churches: A Reader in Christian Doctrine from the Bible to the Present
  • Kingdom of Priests: A History of Old Testament Israel
  • Reformation: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
  • Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image Manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Catholicism