Start by marking “Death Under the Dryer (Fethering, #8)” as Want to Read:
Death Under the Dryer (Fethering, #8)

Death Under the Dryer (Fethering Mystery #8)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  375 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
When Carole goes for a hair trim at 'Connies Clip Joint', she doesn't expect to find herself at the scene of a murder. But sure enough in the backroom, strangled by the cord of a hairdryer, sits Connie's young assistant, Kyra.

Whilst Carole and her sleuthing friend Jude enjoy some tactical snooping, Fethering fingers are pointing firmly at Kyra's boyfriend, Nathan, who has
Published August 15th 2007 by Five Star Publications (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Death Under the Dryer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Under the Dryer

Ronna
May 08, 2013 Ronna rated it liked it
Precise, politically correct, and staid, Carole, and her new-age, easy going, up-front friend, Jude, are at it again in Feathering, England. Carole goes to a new hair salon to get her hair cut "just like it is, but shorter" and gets more than she'd bargained for. The back room of the salon has the dead body of the hair wash girl. Or course, Carole and Jude feel that their assistance is needed to find the killer.

Families center in this mystery. Odd families at that! The clues point to the girl's
Marfita
Nov 12, 2009 Marfita rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozies, mysteries
The odd couple of Fethering must be gaining notoriety in their community if suspects call them out of the blue and lure them over to pump them for what they know! Ha.
We learn a bit about hairdressing and hairdressers in this. The ending was contrived and crying out for a lampoon. "Yes, I am going to kill you, but first you can watch me kill this person and that will be your fault too, you bad person I don't like! Oh, goodie! Here are some more people I can kill and make you feel guilty that it's
Gerry
Jun 29, 2010 Gerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Fethering mystery and, my, am I glad I don't live there for life can be fairly short for some (or even many!).

A murder takes place at the hairdressing salon in Fethering and our indomitable female sleuths Carole and Jude, known to some locally as 'The Marple Twins' (well, they would be, wouldn't they?), begin investigating.

There are lots of red-herrings in a well-disguised and rather unusual plot that never has a dull moment before coming to a somewhat unexpected conclusion, not surprisi
Yeva
Jan 14, 2012 Yeva rated it really liked it
Jude and Carol are great in yet another Fethering Mystery by Simon Brett. The most interesting part of the story was about a family so totally immersed in a game world that it had caused mental instablibity that led to kidnapping and could have led to murder. I would love to read more about the dynamics and relationships of that family.
The story was amusing and intricate enough to keep me interested. Great job, again, Mr. Brett.
Dorothy
Nov 19, 2012 Dorothy rated it liked it
This author is known for his light mysteries set in the fictional seaside town of Fethering in the southof England. The sleuths are two middle aged ladies who seem to have a lot of fun while taking risks in exposing the murderer. As the title indicates, this murder takes place in a beauty salon. A quick read just right for enjoying on holiday.
Emily
Aug 16, 2013 Emily rated it liked it
I took awhile to get into this one. It started to improve when Jude and Carole went to Cornwall. The Wheal Quest part was quite amusing. The tragedy of the girl's death, especially upon her father was quite sad. Some of the other side characters were interesting, but there were a lot of dry spells, especially the first half.
Debbie
Feb 04, 2008 Debbie rated it really liked it
Good quick read. Carole and Jude solve the murder of a 17 year old girl who has been murdered in a hairsalon. Carole's son has a baby boy
David
Apr 17, 2012 David rated it really liked it
The usual nice gentle country mystery with Carol and Jude sorting things out.
Leanna
Nov 20, 2008 Leanna rated it really liked it
A Fethering Mystery. Probably have more appeal to the 40+ age group.
Fanficfan44
Aug 04, 2013 Fanficfan44 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mystery
Should be 3.5 stars. This is book 8 in the Fethering series by Simon Brett featuring the sleuths Carole Seddon and her neighbor Jude. Although this is not my favorite in the series, it is still a charming fun mystery. Simon Brett’s depiction of seaside town and its inhabitants is vivid and makes it easy for the reader to submerge themselves in the story. The mainstay of this series is the relationship between Carole and Jude, complements of each other, one fills in what the other lacks. It is a ...more
Feb 12, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
Once again, totally unbelievable but mildly entertaining. I do get annoyed with the Carole character- so dull and boring it's not surprising she has no friends besides Jude.
Ellen Dark
Aug 25, 2015 Ellen Dark rated it liked it
Carole and Jude investigate the murder of a teenage girl working at a local hair salon. An enjoyable addition to the series.
Cheryl Cufari
Nov 02, 2015 Cheryl Cufari rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
Slow-paced yet engaging English mystery centering around the investigation of a murder based on love and jealousy.
Lynn
Jan 27, 2014 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Simon Brett writes with an ease of hand that makes each chapter a joy. Great pair of ladies for the amateur sleuthing and refreshing not to be ploughed down by police procedure.
Rog Harrison
Mar 23, 2013 Rog Harrison rated it liked it
I enjoy most of Simon Brett's books. I liked his series about Charles Paris and I like this series too though I confess I was not keen on his books about Mrs Pargeter. You have to suspend disbelief but if you can accept that two nosey middle aged women in Fethering can solve murder cases then this is a fascinating series. The two main characters are believable and I have quite got to like them both. Some of the other characters in this book are eccentric but it's a good read with a satisfying en ...more
Margaret
Sep 14, 2014 Margaret rated it liked it
Enjoyable. Funny moments between Carole and Jude.
Nancy
Jan 24, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
Yay another fethering mystery. It was good to read about Jude and Carol.
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2011 Cheryl rated it liked it
This one really resonated with me, if only because I can certainly see my own mother more and more in the character of Carole. The description of the trip so perfectly matches how I imagine my own mother acting is priceless.

But I think I'm ready for a break from the series, although it was nice that the "danger from the unlikely murderer" really only lasted a few pages, not a few chapters!
Julie
May 03, 2012 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Chuckled to this as we made our way up the Pacific Coast Highway. We really enjoyed the narration of the author. His accents are wonderful, especially the 3 lisping sisters. I don't know how he managed to differentiate them consistently. He is amazing! Simon said that this book portrayed very typical English families with foibles. I think it is my favorite so far of this series.
John
Jul 02, 2011 John rated it did not like it
I almost gave up on this about half way through but I figured I had gotten that far I may as well stick it out until the end. The quality of writing was OK, but I got the impression the author was filling in an outline. The main characters were strangely unengaging and the plot was clunky. The ending was 'unfair' for a mystery novel.
Stephen Harvey
Nov 01, 2015 Stephen Harvey rated it really liked it
Well written, a good book to read on a train trip.
Teddy
Sep 25, 2012 Teddy rated it liked it
Not quite up to Simon Brett's usual sparkling wit, but an ok story. I particularly enjoyed the scene with Carole and the male assistant when he reveals all of his "secrets", but the rest was just sort of ho-hum.
Karen Fyke
Apr 10, 2008 Karen Fyke rated it liked it
Dry, dull and boring. I skipped the middle. Locale was beauty shops in England. I still can't picture the "Marple twins," Jude and Carole. A little lesson from Evanovich would help.
April
Dec 12, 2012 April rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Liked the characters- mystery was okay. Definitely a cozy series and will pick up more when I need something bland, yet readable.
Barbara
Nov 02, 2012 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Lacks the charm of the earlier books and the plot this time isn't even preposterous, it's just silly.
Lisa
Nov 11, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Really good, enjoyed this one. A few chuckles along the way too; always a bonus!
Raya
Sep 04, 2008 Raya rated it did not like it
I read a few chapters, but I just couldn't get into this book.
Natalie
Sep 21, 2010 Natalie rated it it was ok
These are pretty light mysteries...okay but not GREAT!
Gail Nebl
Jan 07, 2013 Gail Nebl rated it really liked it
Fun entertaining series. Like the characters.
Meg
Aug 02, 2013 Meg rated it really liked it
Another fun read from Simon Brett.
  • Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1)
  • One Sunday
  • Body Line (Bill Slider,#13)
  • Funeral Note
  • Old Enemies
  • Target Lancer (Nathan Heller, #16)
  • A Perfect Death (Wesley Peterson, #13)
  • Murder at Deviation Junction (Jim Stringer, #4)
  • Murder by Yew (Edna Davies, #1)
  • Schemers (Nameless Detective, #33)
  • Burial Of Ghosts
  • Gently Down the Stream
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • Fatal Impact
  • Black Wattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • The Hanging Wood (Lake District Mystery #5)
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Fethering Mystery (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1)
  • Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2)
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4)
  • The Hanging in the Hotel (Fethering, #5)
  • The Witness at the Wedding (Fethering, #6)
  • The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)
  • Blood at the Bookies (Fethering, #9)
  • The Poisoning in the Pub (Fethering, #10)
  • The Shooting in the Shop (Fethering, #11)