Start by marking “Here at The New Yorker” as Want to Read:
Here at The New Yorker

Here at The New Yorker

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For over sixty years Brendan Gill has been a contented inmate of the singular institution known as the New Yorker. This affectionate account of the magazine, long known as a home for congenital unemployables, is a celebration of its wards and attendants—William Shawn, Harold Ross's gentle and courtly successor as editor; the incorrigible mischief-maker James Thurber; the t ...more
Published August 22nd 1997 by Da Capo Press (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Here at The New Yorker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Here at The New Yorker

Here at The New Yorker represents a catalogue of memories covering more than half of the long history of The New Yorker magazine, a formidable beacon of American culture & manners. The late Brendan Gill sold his first story to the magazine in 1936 when he was 22 and The New Yorker was 11. Gill began working at the magazine shortly after his graduation from Yale and over his long career there, edited the "Talk of the Town" column and also did book, film & theater reviews as well as Profil ...more
Full of gossip, much of which is mean-spirited, although Gill at least had the class to reserve the cruelest anecdotes for the deceased-- for the living, and particularly for William Shawn there is mostly fawning praise. Gill writes as though the reader must certainly be familiar with his work, and I suppose anyone who would read a book like "Here at the New Yorker" would be, but as a literary figure I think it is probably safe to say that this is the work he'd most likely be remembered for, rat ...more
Al Sirois
For some reason, I have a soft spot in my heart for The New Yorker, particular under the leadership of Harold Ross, who must've been quite a character. I loved, for example, THE YEARS WITH ROSS by James Thurber. And now this Brendan Gill book adds to my joy at reading about the magazine in its early and middle years (the book was published in the mid-70s). Recommended for anyone who, like myself, loves the magazine and the personalities of the writers and artists who worked there.
Sep 18, 2015 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone literate
Recommended to David by: Myself
Having been a fan of the New Yorker for many years, this book was a great pleasure. Good insight on some of the remarkable writers and editors who made it all marvelous. Brendan Gill certainly was near the top of the list.

Since nearly 40 years have passed since I read this, any more comment would be presumptuous -- but there you are.
Tom Spann
This is truly the book to read for fans of the magazine. Superb account of what it wsa like to work there during what might perhaps be the "Golden Years" of The New Yorker's history. Gill is a superb writer as one might expect for a man who spent the good part of his career writing for what is probably the best literary magazine ever published in the United States. This is not a "tell all" memoir. Gill was too sophisticated to stoop that low. But it is a wonderful look at the people who created ...more
It was a fun read though long for a reader who hadn't read enough of the New Yorker to know and understand more than a few of the personalities involved here. Recommended for anyone who appreciates intelligent humor and doubly recommended for those who have read the New Yorker for many years.
Jennifer Heise
I'm one of those who prefer Thurber's portrait to Gill's; Thurber, after all, being less sharp-tongued. Who knows, Gill may have the right of it, but since all the principals are dead, I prefer to give Harold a soupcon of mental charity.
I make it a point to read all of the insider accounts of The New Yorker magazine although I cancelled my subscription immediately after their 9/11 issue.

Gill truly led a charmed life but he realizes it and the story of his experiences at the magazine as well as the profiles of those he worked with is very enjoyable.
I actually abandoned it halfway through, but it's not really a beginning-middle-end type book, so I feel comfortable counting it as read. Cute in parts, but life is short and 440 pages of quirk is l o n g.
Written by a long-time contributor to The New Yorker, this book describes the early years of the magazine and some of the notable characters who worked there.
There is nothing like the New Yorker in its prime. Gill's book gives you a glimpse into something that will never come again.
So fussy and twee, it's like a Harvard Lampoon parody of a book about the New Yorker.
Because I better be prepared before I edit the rag.
pb around 1982
Frank Besenhofer
Frank Besenhofer marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Dave Courtney
Dave Courtney marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Janice marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Sydney Kamps
Sydney Kamps marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Vaida is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2015
Prasad Sawant
Prasad Sawant marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Katie marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
  • About Town: The New Yorker and the World It Made
  • The Years with Ross
  • Enemies of Promise
  • A Lady, First: My Life in the Kennedy White House and the American Embassies of Paris and Rome
  • War Within & Without: Diaries and Letters of Anne Morrow Lindbergh, 1939-1944
  • Swing: A Mystery
  • Poison Penmanship: The Gentle Art of Muckraking
  • Writings from The New Yorker 1927-1976
  • Fierce Pajamas: An Anthology of Humor Writing from The New Yorker (Modern Library Paperbacks)
  • Let Me Finish
  • That Summer in Paris
  • Where Did You Go? Out What Did You Do? Nothing
  • Looking for Class: Days and Nights at Oxford and Cambridge
  • Inventing Wonderland: the Lives and Fantasies of Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, J.M. Barrie, Kenneth Grahame and A.A. Milne
  • On Language
  • Booknotes: America's Finest Authors on Reading, Writing, and the Power of Ideas
  • Diana of the Crossways
  • Accomodating Brocolli in the Cemetary: Or Why Can't Anybody Spell
Many Masks: A Life of Frank Lloyd Wright Late Bloomers Lindbergh Alone Tallulah A New York Life: Of Friends and Others